• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
it wasn't cut to see for DLC, it was cut because they didn't have the time or budget for it. that's development for you. FFXV's DLC was clearly main game content sliced out and then resold. This is an EXPANSION, not a part of the main game. And everything I have seen thus far fits perfectly well in the world of FFXVI.

15 DLC's were made post main story as well. Had their own staff, different director compared to the main game,etc. They just pre planned them and left purposeful gaps in the story for them. It was dumb, but its not like they SLICED existing content from the game.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
You can't have a story about Eikons and leave out Leviathan, one of the most iconic summons in the series. It would raise even more questions.

They left out a bunch of iconic summons. FFXV didn't even have Odin in it. Nobody would've been mad if Leviathan was never mentioned.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
If they didn't have the budget to do it, they should've cut Leviathan entirely. Straight-up. Don't reference it in the game, don't make it an existing Eikon in the world. Erase it.

The way they did it here is stupid, and it ruins the entire story.
I think they said it would be more work to cut Leviathan out completely since they've done so much work under the assumption that it's in the world.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I think they said it would be more work to cut Leviathan out completely since they've done so much work under the assumption that it's in the world.

Yeah, that wound up being a lie, I think. It's referenced by name exactly once in the base game, and appears on a single texture they could've edited to remove it from.

Toth

Oct 26, 2017
15 DLC's were made post main story as well. Had their own staff, different director compared to the main game,etc. They just pre planned them and left purposeful gaps in the story for them. It was dumb, but its not like they SLICED existing content from the game.

yes they were developed further afterwards but they were extremely telegraphed as cut content, and a lot of the story beats they comprised were actually important to the main plot.

DarthKamen

Keeper of the White Materia
Jun 22, 2023
Ben Starr is a treasure who we don't deserve.

And I maintain that, at least Echoes of the Fallen should have been in the base game. It is the requisite bonus dungeon and superboss and it's dumb that it was sold as DLC.

BladeX

Oct 30, 2017

To be honest I much prefer what they did with FFXVI...

Having DLC gaps in FFXV was the worst idea ever. At least FFXVI was a complete game from start to finish. Ok now if the DLC effs up the timeline (havent finished it yet) sure it doesnt look good, but I definitely prefer that over FFXV's DLC.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
Ben Starr is a treasure who we don't deserve.

And I maintain that, at least Echoes of the Fallen should have been in the base game. It is the requisite bonus dungeon and superboss and it's dumb that it was sold as DLC.
Love the game, but I agree with this. The Echoes dungeon and Omega felt like they should have been the big endgame secret dungeon and boss in the original game, maybe opening up after all other side content is completed. I'm not salty about it or anything but I think it rounds out the base game very well, which was pretty anemic in interesting unlockable side content.

ChocoBuddy

Apr 9, 2024
it wasn't cut to sell for DLC, it was cut because they didn't have the time or budget for it. that's development for you. FFXV's DLC was clearly main game content sliced out and then resold. This is an EXPANSION, not a part of the main game. And everything I have seen thus far fits perfectly well in the world of FFXVI.

It would've just been them undoing work potentially. They could have already had Levi in the mural, the Mythos artwork, the references to him in environments and been in the end ran out of time.

It's more interesting to keep the idea of him being physically lost and lost in a meta way.

I don't think it suddenly ruins the story like some say lol that's a little hyperbolic

Nerd123

Aug 18, 2022
I am looking forward to jumping in the DLC once I'm done with LAD Infinite Wealth but I really hope the biggest lesson they learn going forward is that exploration needs to be rewarding. I love reading that the new town is beautiful because that is one of the biggest flaws of the base game. The lack of towns and individuality between them. Rebirth excelled at this and I hope they keep that as a staple for literally any FF going forward, mainline or not.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
It would've just been them undoing work potentially. They could have already had Levi in the mural, the Mythos artwork, the references to him in environments and been in the end ran out of time.

It's more interesting to keep the idea of him being physically lost and lost in a meta way.

I don't think it suddenly ruins the story like some say lol that's a little hyperbolic

The reason I say it ruins the story is because Ultima's entire plan is "get Mythos to absorb all the Eikons" and then Clive doesn't absorb all the Eikons. And the game never addresses or even points this out. Clive literally does not have all of Ultima's powers at the end of the story. It's a genuine plot hole, not a CinemaSins-level plot hole.

And now this DLC lets Clive get that missing piece of power and the game doesn't address that change at all either.

FrostweaveBandage

Unshakable Resolve
Sep 27, 2019
yes they were developed further afterwards but they were extremely telegraphed as cut content, and a lot of the story beats they comprised were actually important to the main plot.
There had been a rumor that execs basically put a hard deadline on FFXV being released by the end of 2016, and so these side stories were cut to be released later. Don't know how accurate it is.

tjh282

May 29, 2019
I'll probably jump in this weekend and I mostly checked out on XVI discourse post launch, but I had no idea that sky change was such a big deal to ppl lol

Red

Oct 26, 2017
The reason I say it ruins the story is because Ultima's entire plan is "get Mythos to absorb all the Eikons" and then Clive doesn't absorb all the Eikons. And the game never addresses or even points this out. Clive literally does not have all of Ultima's powers at the end of the story. It's a genuine plot hole, not a CinemaSins-level plot hole.

And now this DLC lets Clive get that missing piece of power and the game doesn't address that change at all either.
I am having deja vu. I don't remember "getting all the Eikons" ever being the goal. Clive had the ability to absorb Eikons, but didn't necessarily need all of them. The fact that he could do it at all was what Ultima needed from him, and the more Clive gathered the more confidence Ultima had that Clive was the vessel he'd been waiting for.

It feels pointless to talk about this with you in particular... you complained before the DLC released that it might change the ending, and are now complaining that it didn't. There is a predisposition here to dislike whatever happens.

Rutger

Oct 25, 2017

Ultima didn't have an issue with trying to use Clive when Leviathan was lost.

And even when Clive gains Leviathan it doesn't mean he's a perfect vessel that won't feel feedback once magic is lost from the world.

I don't know, I don't see a problem with that. It would be a bigger question mark if Leviathan wasn't mentioned imo.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
My hot take is, if they were gonna change the ending and give a "Golden Ending", then they should have patched the base game with the new ending. Selling an alternative to a controversial ending via DLC always feels gross.

Though, as I've said in other threads, I don't think they should change the ending anyway, and not just because I like it. I don't like the ending to XV, but I wouldn't want them to sell me a new one or change it (even though I know they were planning to)

They made those storytelling choices for a reason, and even if it wasn't good or didn't pan out as expected, I think it's best to take that feedback and consider it for your next story rather than trying to walk back those choices and change the story that's already been completed.

ChocoBuddy

Apr 9, 2024

Ultimas plan was to merge with Mythos when he was strong enough to handle all of the Aether from the mother crystals and cast Raise on his fallen brothers. Before the DLC, Leviathan was thought to be lost to time, so Ultima continued with his plan anyway.

Clive was strong enough without Leviathan to handle that aether anyway, hence why he used it to do what he did at the end of the game.

Last edited:

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
My hot take is, if they were gonna change the ending and give a "Golden Ending", then they should have patched the base game with the new ending. Selling an alternative to a controversial ending via DLC always feels gross.

Though, as I've said in other threads, I don't think they should change the ending anyway, and not just because I like it. I don't like the ending to XV, but I wouldn't want them to sell me a new one or change it (even though I know they were planning to)

They made those storytelling choices for a reason, and even if it wasn't good or didn't pan out as expected, I think it's best to take that feedback and consider it for your next story rather than trying to walk back those choices and change the story that's already been completed.

I think this is 100% fair, yes. Trying to charge players for a do-over is not a good business model, and considering CBU3 spent a bunch of time constantly throwing shade at FFXV for its DLC distribution I completely understand why they didn't sell a "better ending". It would've been super hypocritical of them to do that. If they were going to 'fix' the ending, it should have come in a free patch, like you said.

I think the problem for me is just that the story was already broken at launch and this DLC, in my mind, makes it more broken. But I suppose I just have to make my peace with the fact that Ultima was just a bad villain and roll on with whatever parts of the story (Cid, Dion, etc) that I did like.

DarthKamen

Keeper of the White Materia
Jun 22, 2023
I view it as a no win situation. Changing the ending in DLC invites very bad (and valid) XV comparisons. Not changing it feels weird, especially when the final boss has a huge sequence of cycling through the Eikons.

So count me on team "should have cut Leviathan if they couldn't include it in the base game" I guess.

BladeX

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah I replayed some Ultima cutscenes and I agree that the DLC in no way ruins the main story of the game nor does it take away any sense from it.

Some comments above are dead right in regards to this issue and it is explicitly told in-game.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
thats the coldest hot take of month.
lol fair.

My point is really just to say that I would have been disappointed if this DLC changed the ending in a significant way because that feels slimy to me. It's like the narrative version of creating a problem with the base game and then selling the solution to it (not that I personally see the current ending as a problem)

ket

Jul 27, 2018
Yoshida said multiple times that the dlc wont change the ending. 🤷‍♂️

IIRC he was even saying this before the names of the DLCs were announced but after they were confirmed to be in development.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Yoshida said multiple times that the dlc wont change the ending. 🤷‍♂️

IIRC he was even saying this before the names of the DLCs were announced but after they were confirmed to be in development.

Yoshida said that multiple times and then in the last month he started getting cagey about it and telling people "Well maaaaaaaaaybe something might happen when Clive has all the Eikons". He deliberately went back on those statements as part of the marketing cycle. You can't blame some folks for getting confused by the mixed messaging.

Toth

Oct 26, 2017

the point is that even with all these powers Clive was still a human and as an Ultima vessel would never have worked like he intended, if the goal was to survive in Clive's shell. If his purpose was to use Mythos to cast Arise and then abandon it, then it may have worked.

also planet, something does happen when you get all eikon and its amazing.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Isn't Yoshi-P notorious for lying and being coy in marketing stuff?

Yeah. Yoshi is notoriously untrustworthy in interviews, he will say whatever he wants in the moment and justify it (or not justify it) later.

Some folks think it's part of his charm, but as someone who's been playing XIV for a decade I'm kind of over it. I don't really watch/read live letters anymore, ha.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
He doesn't usually straight lie IIRC, but he can have fun with his wording.

The big one being his insistence in interviews prior to XVI's reveal that he wasn't directing XVI, which obviously everyone took to mean CBU3 wasn't doing it. Of course, it just turned out he was producing it instead of diredting.

If you watch any XVI or XIV presentations, CBU3 is basically made up of mischievous goofballs anyway.

ChocoBuddy

Apr 9, 2024
the point is that even with all these powers Clive was still a human and as an Ultima vessel would never have worked like he intended, if the goal was to survive in Clive's shell. If his purpose was to use Mythos to cast Arise and then abandon it, then it may have worked.

also planet, something does happen when you get all eikon and its amazing.

He needed a vessel of flesh to cast the spell so he and his brothers could leave and find another Aether rich planet, you're right though he likely would've abandoned Clive right after because the bearer's curse would've taken him immediately.

Either way, "ultima's plan was to get all the eikons lul" is wrong and at minimum a half truth.

Open Wound

Nov 7, 2017

Ultima wants to absorb Clive inmediately after its reveal. I'm still replaying it so I don't remember the details of the end, but Ultima deems Clive strong enough when he beats Typhon.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Ultima wants to absorb Clive inmediately after its reveal. I'm still replaying it so I don't remember the details of the end, but Ultima deems Clive strong enough when he beats Typhon.

At Oriflamme? Yeah, Ultima was going to brainjack Clive and use his body as a puppet to go around eating the other Eikons before casting Raise. He wasn't going to cast Raise immediately. Once that plan was derailed by Joshua's interference he was like "fine" and started manipulating events so that Clive would be forced to willingly fight the other Dominants for him so he could try to brainjack him again later.

Rutger

Oct 25, 2017
Like with the ending, Ultima has grown on me as a villain with time.

It helps that I like a lot of the classic concept villain of the serie, and he'sa more elaborate take on those.

To be fair, a lot of the things he's coy about are often things you would never actually answer in marketing. He just likes to have a bit of fun with things answers to questions he can't talk about.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
Agree they should've just removed the Leviathan hook in the plot. Don't think it ruins anything, but it does leave a bad taste in the mouth.

Ending is still goated.

EntelechyFuff

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Nov 19, 2019

Ultimas plan was to merge with Mythos when he was strong enough to handle all of the Aether from the mother crystals and cast Raise on his fallen brothers. Before the DLC, Leviathan was thought to be lost to time, so Ultima continued with his plan anyway.

Clive was strong enough without Leviathan to handle that aether anyway, hence why he used it to do what he did at the end of the game.
Can you say more about this? Particularly Raise? I don't remember that ever being mentioned in the base game.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina

Maybe a single Eikon is like a kidney, you can still work without one. :P

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Can you say more about this? Particularly Raise? I don't remember that ever being mentioned in the base game.

Like so many details, it's mostly only mentioned in Active Time Lore.

Basically, Ultima's whole goal is to pool all of the Eikons' aether into Clive's body so he can use Clive and his combined aether to cast Raise, the ultimate spell, to resurrect all of his clones so they can bail to move to another planet. The understanding is that the spell is ABSURDLY powerful but consumes all of the Aether of the caster, so Ultima is too much of a coward to cast it himself, hence the Mythos plan. He'll use Clive as a big-ass mana battery and burn him out to resurrect all of his friends.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017

Basically, Ultima's whole goal is to pool all of the Eikons' aether into Clive's body so he can use Clive and his combined aether to cast Raise, the ultimate spell, to resurrect all of his clones so they can bail to move to another planet. The understanding is that the spell is ABSURDLY powerful but consumes all of the Aether of the caster, so Ultima is too much of a coward to cast it himself, hence the Mythos plan. He'll use Clive as a big-ass mana battery and burn him out to resurrect all of his friends.

Slight correction:
He wants to resurrect his people. He already has his clones. And they want to live on Earth. Which would have no room for its current inhabitants. If he just wanted to suck up all the aether and fuck off into space, his goals and Clive's would be almost sort of aligned.

EntelechyFuff

Banned
Nov 19, 2019

dafuq. I never got any inkling of this...and while it's true that the ass-end of the game got way convoluted for no reason at all, none of that was really explained at all.

That Active Time Lore is in the base game? Is it accessible prior to the final boss? I never booted the game after rolling credits to look for new ATL.

Socivol

Oct 25, 2017
If they didn't have the budget to do it, they should've cut Leviathan entirely. Straight-up. Don't reference it in the game, don't make it an existing Eikon in the world. Erase it.

The way they did it here is stupid, and it ruins the entire story.
I have to agree with you here. Not getting Leviathan always made the ending feel really weird to me. I wasn't even sure Clive was Mythos when I finished because he was still an incomplete vessel. Them not changing the final battle to at least include Leviathan's powers and a call out is also weird. The omission of Leviathan in the main game really was a detriment to the story overall.

samcastor

Apr 21, 2021
In the end, he specifically says what he wants to achieve with Clive as a vessel and what the whole point of the crystals and such was; to raise the dead members of his civilization. The actual name of the spell "Raise" is used in the thousand tomes after beating the game. This was the only goal Ultima had in the entire game, I am confused as to what you thought was his motivation otherwise?

That is completely false. Here you go, he says it fairly plainly:

Last edited:

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
dafuq. I never got any inkling of this...and while it's true that the ass-end of the game got way convoluted for no reason at all, none of that was really explained at all.

That Active Time Lore is in the base game? Is it accessible prior to the final boss? I never booted the game after rolling credits to look for new ATL.

It's always in the base game. You can access it from the very beginning of the story.

Slight correction:
He wants to resurrect his people. He already has his clones. And they want to live on Earth. Which would have no room for its current inhabitants. If he just wanted to suck up all the aether and fuck off into space, his goals and Clive's would be almost sort of aligned.

Nah, they very clearly pointed out that Valisthea's planet is dying and out of aether and Ultima knows this, and plans to migrate with his people to another planet to start again. The problem being that the planet is dying BECAUSE OF ULTIMA and the cycle would just repeat all over again the next world they moved to. It's a fairly central point to the game's environmental theme, which is that Ultima is the reason the planet is dying and doesn't care enough about it to try and make things better - like an oil baron he'll just find a new oilfield to suck dry.

That is completely false. Here you go, he says it fairly plainly:

Read the Active Time Lore. It's blatantly spelled out what the Ultimas' long term goal after casting Raise is.
They killed their last planet, they're in the process of killing Valisthea's, and when that's done they'll move on to another one. It's a central narrative theme.

Last edited:

EntelechyFuff

Banned
Nov 19, 2019
In the end, he specifically says what he wants to achieve with Clive as a vessel and what the whole point of the crystals and such was; to raise the dead members of his civilization. The actual name of the spell "Raise" is used in the thousand tomes after beating the game. This was the only goal Ultima had in the entire game, I am confused as to what you thought was his motivation otherwise?
Frankly, I lost the plot for Ultima once he went into his whole 16 clones spiel.

I thought Ultima's goal was replace my decaying body with Clive's super body so I can revive my people or whatev...so not too far off from the motive you state. But I definitely misunderstood some of the specifics if your summary is accurate.

samcastor

Apr 21, 2021
It's always in the base game. You can access it from the very beginning of the story.

Nah, they very clearly pointed out that Valisthea's planet is dying and out of aether and Ultima knows this, and plans to migrate with his people to another planet to start again. The problem being that the planet is dying BECAUSE OF ULTIMA and the cycle would just repeat all over again the next world they moved to. It's a fairly central point to the game's environmental theme, which is that Ultima is the reason the planet is dying and doesn't care enough about it to try and make things better - like an oil baron he'll just find a new oilfield to suck dry.

Read the Active Time Lore. It's blatantly spelled out what the Ultimas' long term goal after casting Raise is.
They killed their last planet, they're in the process of killing Valisthea's, and when that's done they'll move on to another one. It's a central narrative theme.
I meant that you were incorrectly pointing out that the raise part is only mentioned in the ATL. He says what he wants to do but the detail that the spell is called raise is in the ATL. The general idea that he wants to raise his civilization is there plainly in the cut scene, as that is what the other person was asking about initially.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
Wonder what people now run to with the ending as stated remaining unchanged for their cope of trying to pretend against all rhyme or reason that FF16 wasn't a complete game on release. Still the weirdest insane take I've seen pushed in some of the 16 discussions with people even throwing the "Yoshi P should apologize for lying(prematurely for the not changed ending) xD and people bitter because he was "smug" in their eyes about 16 being a complete work".

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017

I checked the ATL and cutscenes again. It's always referenced as "remaking the world" or "creating a new paradise". You could interpret that as healing this world or blowing it up and restarting this world, but his goal isn't to go find another world. Again, if he just wanted to drain the aether and leave, Clive would be kinda fine with it. Clive uses the same aether to end magic, so the end result would be the same for him: a blighted world with no aether left that would heal over time because the crystals are no longer there to sap more from the land itself.

Last edited:

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
I don't mind the ending or its ambiguity, I just wasn't super invested by the time I experienced it. The game lost a lot of steam in its back-third for me
Like with the ending, Ultima has grown on me as a villain with time.

It helps that I like a lot of the classic concept villain of the serie, and he'sa more elaborate take on those.
Ultima is fine in concept, it's his characterization that sinks it for me. Him and Barnabas are total snoozers

ozumas

Born to be Wise
Dec 15, 2020
I've finished the DLC, main story fairly short for my taste but really good. The new area is beautiful and music is top notch. Leviathan move set is OP and fun, is much fun moving around shoting instead of attacking with the normal sword and the gun do so much will damage that it feels cheap using Leviathan but don't mind me if I do.

The Leviathan fight is impressive and music is top and it is hard but Eikons battle being hard are not much fun for me, Ifrit has so few tools to do damage that by the time you do 1/3 of Leviathan health point it becomes really monotone. Clive has 6 pair of abilities, Ifrit has 2 and with long cooldown so I don't like a challenge in a Eikon fight.
I've one sidequest left to finish (I think) and content is ok, though I have to play the new game mode that I really want to try it.

Otherwise I feel like 20€ is to expensive but I would be ok with a 10/15€ price.

But suddenly I want to replay the whole game in hard mode so appreciate the DLC

samcastor

Apr 21, 2021
Frankly, I lost the plot for Ultima once he went into his whole 16 clones spiel.

I thought Ultima's goal was replace my decaying body with Clive's super body so I can revive my people or whatev...so not too far off from the motive you state. But I definitely misunderstood some of the specifics if your summary is accurate.
You have most it right tbh. He did have to leave behind his old body (the ifrit husk you see in the rift location) so that he can basically become immortal to carry out the plan over a very long period. But he needs a physical vessel to be able to cast the magic he needs which will require vast quantities of aether, and the vessel needs to be able to actually channel the enormous amount of aether.

So he made the crystals to start collecting the aether.

The humans were his solution to making the vessel. He made each of the crystals aligned to an element, and made the first humans and called them motes of each element. Now mote means a speck, a very small fragment used in old english and the Bible (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mote_and_the_Beam). Then the motes of each element essentially evolve in the biological sense to create a dominant of fire and so on. This explains why bloodlines actually mattered for dominants. The plan is that over time, the motes and their descendants will slowly evolve and develop Mythos, the vessel capable of channeling the aether he needs for his spell. What is really cool about this is that this is actually the first step towards what is now being called "AI" in media. This is essentially a genetic/evolutionary algorithm for optimizing ability to channel aether (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genetic_algorithm, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CMA-ES). So it goes along with the FF themes of blending fantasy and sci-fi and considering that Ultima is supposed to be from a very advanced civilization that had both tech and magic, this bio-inspired approach was something I really liked.