• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jisgsaw

Oct 27, 2017
Have paintings been lost in this? Structure can be replaced, paintings are a bit more difficult.
I expect most things that can be moved have been taken out, as the fire apparently didn't spread in the main room. I'd be more worried about the artfull windows (no idea how they're called in English, vitraux in French). Even in best time they're pretty heat sensitive, so with such a fire right on top of them...
Edit: welp, seems at least some broke :-( these will never be the same again.

Nivash

Oct 25, 2017
I'm happy to hear that the towers and structure appear to have been saved. Notre Dame has suffered before. She's been through centuries of wars, revolutions and neglect and yet she's been restored time and again. This should be no exception. She won't be what she was but she can become something new while still reflecting her great heritage.

blaze

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Saving the structure is the best possible outcome given what we've been seeing, the pictures are sad but there's a lot of material that will easily burn, as long as the structure is safe it's at least repairable with time.

Bliman

User Requested Ban
Banned
Jan 21, 2019

Just to make sure this is video from the fire before. This is NOT the situation now.

Godfather

Game on motherfuckers
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I expect most things that can be moved have been taken out, as the fire apparently didn't spread in the main room. I'd be more worried about the artfull windows (no idea how they're called in English, vitraux in French). Even in best time they're pretty heat sensitive, so with such a fire right on top of them...
Edit: welp, seems at least some broke :-( these will never be the same again.
We just call them stained-glass windows, which doesn't really do them justice.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEES

GODDAMN HEROES

Huge applause to those brave firefighters. Sad we lost all the craftmanship wooden decor of the interior, the roof and the azmazing glasswork, but im very happy that the whole exterior is going to stand.

Im so so sad about this. I hope some of the stone work survives., and the towers remain. If they do, maybe a park on what was the inside of the cathedral would be fitting.

This is not america, europe is ace preserving monuments and history, is going (and should be) rebuild, and im an atheist saying this.

Lebon30

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
This is tragic as fuck. :(
This is why I like conservation because we know that nothing last forever and we must work in order to make it last as long as possible. So, while a lot of the art was lost, we now must work to save the pictures of them.

Mac_Lane

Oct 29, 2017
Paris, France
From the New York Times :

15notredame20-superJumbo.jpg

Vilam

Oct 27, 2017
Wow... I posted back on page one, right when the fire broke out. At the time, you saw some smoke... and you just assume that there's going to be some damage, but overall everything will be fine. It's the Notre Dame Cathedral after all... of course it'd be fine, of course they would take care of it. Of course firefighters would put it out quickly. That building has been there hundreds of years; you would never think it could be gone in minutes.

Seeing what transpired in the hours since then is heartbreaking and tragic. I'm not religious at all, but that building is a marvel, a treasure, an incredible piece of history and human accomplishment. And the art... ugh, the art is priceless, and absolutely irreplaceable. I hope they were able to save some of the art.

I've visited the Dom, I've visited the Duomo. They're stunning... spectacular... humbling. I hadn't been to Notre Dame though, and now I never will - not as it was. It's such a loss for all of mankind.

Oct 25, 2017
Man the news coverage of this is annoying 2 separate ones talking about how the debate of an airdrop will last for years to come...

Experts said it is too inaccurate and would also completely collapse the structure, whats left to debate?

chromatic9

Oct 25, 2017
Relief the main structure is saved. At least there will be some original bits to cherish with the new. I'd expect restoration to get funded but damn the stained glass windows that have been there all this time. I keep imagining pictures of them being made in the 13th century.

Sounds like the firefighters have done the best job possible.

Herne

Dec 10, 2017
This is like watching the great pyramid collapse. A massive loss for humanity as a whole.

I was planning a trip to Paris next year for the first time, and Notre Dame was high on my list of places to visit :/

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Oh no, so parts of the main vault did collapse into the church below. D:

Banderdash

Chicken Chaser
Nov 16, 2017
Australia
Man the news coverage of this is annoying 2 separate ones talking about how the debate of an airdrop will last for years to come...

Experts said it is too inaccurate and would also completely collapse the structure, whats left to debate?

Mate, measles cases are seeing a staggering increase in incidences.
We live in an age where people who don't know what they're talking about, and have no interest in learning, are given equal airtime and value.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
So two of the giant window stained glasses surveived, as well as the artifacts on the spire. I mean there is some loss, but at the very least, it is not as bad as it was earlier.