Strings

Oct 27, 2017
1. The limited time release is bullshit. Literally the worst thing Nintendo is 'pioneering'.
2. It's annoying how much they keep doing with FE1 in particular, because it hasn't held up at all. The way better game with that cast is FE3/12.

Agni Kai

Nov 2, 2017
Fuck this limited release thing they are trying to push here. Is there any valid reason they are doing this?

Deleted member 63122

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 16, 2020
Why making a limited release has anything to do with history?

There was a guy in the pokemon subreddit that made a post about how he will never buy a new game since gamefreak finally crossed the line (the dex cut) only for him to buy the game 2 months later
Yeah, I'm literally seeing people in Twitter saying "this is abusive, but I'm still buying it". First of all, it's not like the company makes you. Second, you're dumb as hell.

May 19, 2020
"Don't complain about anything just consume product, it makes them money which voids all complaints."
If you think righteous consumer indignation will do anything for you feel free. I'm not buying the game either because honestly the original Shadow Dragon kind of blows. There are much better Fire Emblems and strategy games you could play.

Launchpad

Oct 26, 2017
Stop fucking defending this for christ's sake. Also people are allowed to complain and still buy the product, especially when Nintendo says fucking buy it or lose it.

JB2448

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
It's actually just Lucas holding his breath in the hot springs surrounded by magic butterflies (used in EarthBound to restore psychic power) to awaken his own. The way it's framed, however, is misleading and offensive for sure.

It would absolutely be altered in any future official release.

RedAhmed

Jan 9, 2018
This was a cool and awesome thing until they said it's a limited release. Screw you Nintendo.

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Oh cool you can already preorder. I can feel Nintendo breathing down my neck chanting don't miss out don't miss out

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
Limited time? What is going on with Nintendo lately and this crazy anti-consumer bullshit they keep pulling?

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
I'm done with this "available for a limited time" shit. I really wanted to buy the Mario collection but this is becoming a trend for Nintendo. Hard pass on both this and the Mario one.

Jakten

Oct 25, 2017
Devil World, Toronto
Honestly the limited release pisses me off more than that they didn't bring over Mother 3. If Nintendo keeps that shit up I'm probably going to stop buying their games. The transient nature and lack of real ownership of digital video games already pisses me off, I'm not going to support someone who's actively going out of their way to uphold that.

Not to mention that it shits on the access poorer people have to these things. I wanted to get the Mario Collection but I just don't have the money right now, I have to save for it.

Nintendo makes some odd decisions that I can somewhat see why they do it but this is just a greedy fucking garbage decision, attempting to emotionally manipulate people to make them more likely to buy it. The only real benefit of digital distribution is that it is unlimited. Fuck off Nintendo.

With stupid shit like this, Nintendo might as well be handing out peg legs and eye patches.

Cubs017

Mar 16, 2020
So...is Switch Online's retro game stuff dead? It's super weird for this to be a $6 game when they've been consistent at putting NES/SNES on there for "free."

Think that this is the end of us getting new consoles and stuff, and they're switching to limited release, virtual console type of sales?

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
So...is Switch Online's retro game stuff dead? It's super weird for this to be a $6 game when they've been consistent at putting NES/SNES on there for "free."

Think that this is the end of us getting new consoles and stuff, and they're switching to limited release, virtual console type of sales?

It's an anniversary release, just like 3D Allstars. Fire Emblem has it's 30th anniversary this year.

Oct 25, 2017
Sony: You cannot play our old games unless we remake them
Nintendo: You can play our old games if you pay full price for them in a specific time period Huh? What do you mean give our paid online service value?

This new gen already sucks.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT

They had to translate this game from scratch, AND they had to program in all the new qol features. They've justified a $6 price for this considering nes games used to be $5 on the VC.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017

This is a special localization being done for Fire Emblem's 30th anniversary. It's not a standard issue NSO release in any way.

JB2448

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Florida

No. This is just a limited time commemorative release for Fire Emblem's 30th anniversary.

That said, artificial digital scarcity is worth criticizing, which people are rightfully doing in this thread. Other criticisms may not be rooted in good faith, but that one is valid.

Ororo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's worth $6 for what it is. Should it have been a NSO game? Of course it should've to ad value to the service. The game will eventually make it to a NSO service one way or another, if you waited 20+ years you can wait 3 more before Nintendo can dump it on NSO for free.

Feb 5, 2020
Wanna bet they'll do an Earthbound collection with Mother 3? The absence of Earthbound games from the NES/SNES online app is pretty weird

Tatsu91

Banned
Apr 7, 2019
Honestly the limited release pisses me off more than that they didn't bring over Mother 3. If Nintendo keeps that shit up I'm probably going to stop buying their games. The transient nature and lack of real ownership of digital video games already pisses me off, I'm not going to support someone who's actively going out of their way to uphold that.

Not to mention that it shits on the access poorer people have to these things. I wanted to get the Mario Collection but I just don't have the money right now, I have to save for it.

Nintendo makes some odd decisions that I can somewhat see why they do it but this is just a greedy fucking garbage decision, attempting to emotionally manipulate people to make them more likely to buy it. The only real benefit of digital distribution is that it is unlimited. Fuck off Nintendo.

With stupid shit like this, Nintendo might as well be handing out peg legs and eye patches.
i mean its limited for 6 months that is plenty of time for one to save up to afford it. so its not like its 1 month or something so its no that bad.

Efejota

Mar 13, 2018
I thought this was going to be about the second DS game, ugh...

Still, isn't this a first time for Nintendo?? Every other translation of old roms I can think of (Earthbound Begginings, Drill Dozer, Starfox2?) was simply stored in their old vault for years. I hope this becomes a trend in the future, except for the limited time thing.

Edit:
Ok, something that I really LOVE from this is that they're not restricted by text space limitations anymore. I'm playing breath of Fire on the Switch Online and it's awful in how much they needed to simplify everything. The fact that the translation is by today's standards is really great... Thought I have to wonder, is this English only?

Last edited:

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
I continue not to understand the reasons behing this limited time availability for digital games.
Since there is no a physical edition for Europe, I might use my gold coins to get the digital version, before the game "expires".

ryseing

Bought courtside tickets just to read a book.
Oct 25, 2017
For lovers
- $6 is completely fair given the QoL changes.

- Limited time digital release is fucking stupid and I hate that Nintendo is going this direction.

- I am going to pay way too much money to scalpers for that CE. Mario team at Nintendo- this is how you do an anniversary!

Roliq

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 23, 2018
Why would it be limited for a short time? Why put a time limit on the availability of a digital game? Just seems unnecessary and only hurts the consumer.
Because it release to commemorate the anniversary, just because now they offer it digitally doesn't mean anything when is just like anniversary sales, promotions or giveaways which are also limited

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Cool that they translated this game and that they are even doing a collectors edition for those who want it.
Absolutely stupid that they would put this out limited again.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Because it release to commemorate the anniversary, just because now they offer it digitally doesn't mean anything when is just like anniversary sales, promotions or giveaways which are also limited

There's no reason for this to be tied to an anniversary though. That's bullshit reverse logic to justify ripping people off who otherwise might not have bought it through FOMO.

The big special edition with a bunch of guff, sure, you can justify that being limited. Nothing like that can be said for the digital release.

Jakten

Oct 25, 2017
Devil World, Toronto
i mean its limited for 6 months that is plenty of time for one to save up to afford it. so its not like its 1 month or something so its no that bad.

Oh, ok money bags?? There are plenty of people who would not be able to afford a $100 video game that easily. Especially now with Covid fucking up everyones jobs among other things. Sure this one is only 6 bucks but it's part of a trend now.

Besides, how it effects poorer people's access to something like this is only a part of why this is a problem. It's a step towards companies eroding your rights of ownership towards digital goods. It's extremely emotionally manipulative to make people buy it out of fear. I don't understand how anyone can get behind this shit. This is to say nothing of the actual game, yeah its exciting but this is ridiculous.

Last edited: