• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SlickVic

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Did the first couple chapters of Cindered Shadows today. Chapter 2 felt a bit exhausting with the number of units they throw at you, but I think the thing I've been enjoying so far with the DLC is getting time to interact with characters I didn't see a whole lot of in the main game (like Hilda and Ashe), and it's been pretty nice being able to fight with them. Looking forward to playing the rest of this.

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished this on the Silver Snow route last night with more than 70 hours on normal+classic. Really great experience, and I will likely do another play through in a few months when there's a lull in games and we're still in quarantine mode.

Quick question - for hard mode, should I do NG+ or would I enjoy the experience starting from scratch again? This was my first FE game, and even I thought normal was a bit too easy.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished this on the Silver Snow route last night with more than 70 hours on normal+classic. Really great experience, and I will likely do another play through in a few months when there's a lull in games and we're still in quarantine mode.

Quick question - for hard mode, should I do NG+ or would I enjoy the experience starting from scratch again? This was my first FE game, and even I thought normal was a bit too easy.

Well, for the most part you can pick and choose which NG+ benefits to utilize, and which not. The only thing you can't turn off or choose not to use for NG+ is the statue bonuses, which are admittedly significant.

Ultimately it's kind of a tossup. NG+ confers some nice QoL and stacking benefits, but Three Houses' Hard Mode is already one of the easier in the series, so whether you want to reduce it further with increased EXP and the temptation of carried over item access/battalions is up to you.

PBalfredo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017

I'd say go NG+ even if you don't opt in to using its benefits in your next playthrough. I say that because NG+ benefits chain together from playthrough to playthrough. You carry over your renown (with a bonus for each completed playthrough) and the skill levels and class mastery achieved with your students are available to unlock. So at anytime in the future, in your next playthrough or beyond, if you want to unlock skills you mastered with your Black Eagle students from your SS run, they will be available to you. Even if you don't make use of the benefits in your next playthrough, no sense in breaking the chain.

I'm playing NG+ Maddening right now and half the fun is putting together a team of killers that make full use of how I raised them in previous playthroughs. It's very rewarding.

Oct 25, 2017
Well, for the most part you can pick and choose which NG+ benefits to utilize, and which not. The only thing you can't turn off or choose not to use for NG+ is the statue bonuses, which are admittedly significant.

Ultimately it's kind of a tossup. NG+ confers some nice QoL and stacking benefits, but Three Houses' Hard Mode is already one of the easier in the series, so whether you want to reduce it further with increased EXP and the temptation of carried over item access/battalions is up to you.
I'd say go NG+ even if you don't opt in to using its benefits in your next playthrough. I say that because NG+ benefits chain together from playthrough to playthrough. You carry over your renown (with a bonus for each completed playthrough) and the skill levels and class mastery achieved with your students are available to unlock. So at anytime in the future, in your next playthrough or beyond, if you want to unlock skills you mastered with your Black Eagle students from your SS run, they will be available to you. Even if you don't make use of the benefits in your next playthrough, no sense in breaking the chain.

I'm playing NG+ Maddening right now and half the fun is putting together a team of killers that make full use of how I raised them in previous playthroughs. It's very rewarding.

Thanks for the info!

milkyway

One Winged Slayer
May 17, 2018
So I decided to finally pick this game back up and give it a go at Maddening. This is a much more fun difficulty for me as Hard was still enjoyable but a tad easy. I have had some pretty interesting challenges to overcome on the Maddening difficulty and it has forced me to strategically use batallions when I rarely used batallions in Hard mode because it never mattered. I have invested far more in authority for my crew as well. I did make the decision to utilize the DLC content, which included 10,000 renown for beating the story DLC and being able to recruit cindered shadows characters (sorry Balthus I left you out because Caspar does your job). I don't figure this makes too much of an impact on the difficulty in the long run.

I do have a question, as I have reached the split paths point in Edelgard's route - is it worth going back to my save after I beat one path and choosing the other? I have already played Claude's route and it seems like Silver Snows may be similar to that one. Plus I haven't played Blue Lions, and I'm not sure I'll ever have the stamina to go back to it, two 90ish hour playthroughs is quite a lot, even though I love this game!

PBalfredo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
So I decided to finally pick this game back up and give it a go at Maddening. This is a much more fun difficulty for me as Hard was still enjoyable but a tad easy. I have had some pretty interesting challenges to overcome on the Maddening difficulty and it has forced me to strategically use batallions when I rarely used batallions in Hard mode because it never mattered. I have invested far more in authority for my crew as well. I did make the decision to utilize the DLC content, which included 10,000 renown for beating the story DLC and being able to recruit cindered shadows characters (sorry Balthus I left you out because Caspar does your job). I don't figure this makes too much of an impact on the difficulty in the long run.

I do have a question, as I have reached the split paths point in Edelgard's route - is it worth going back to my save after I beat one path and choosing the other? I have already played Claude's route and it seems like Silver Snows may be similar to that one. Plus I haven't played Blue Lions, and I'm not sure I'll ever have the stamina to go back to it, two 90ish hour playthroughs is quite a lot, even though I love this game!
I'd definitely go Blue Lions next over Silver Snow since SS is pretty much just Verdant Wind without the deer.

SlickVic

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Chapter 4 of Cindered Shadows was kind of neat. Felt quite a rush trying to get everyone to the final area before running out of turns, and the format felt pretty different from the rest of the game. Just got to Chapter 6 so will see if I can wrap this up later today.

Kira.FA37

Jan 11, 2018
I got this game on release and sunk a ton of time into it before having it drop off, recently decided to (force) pick it up where I left at chapter 17ish on Golden Deer. Now after nearly 80 hours I'm approaching the end of my first route. Amazing game, love the characters, the world building and history just pulls me in and I want to play more. Only issue is that the game. Takes. Damn. Ages. to play.

That being said I'll finish up the Golden Deer tomorrow after having to pick my partner (Hilda, Marianne or Lysithea) and killing of the last boss (Ill miss my deers...). Which means its time for me to go new game plus with a new house. I always was planning to go GD -> BE -> BL -> Church but was wondering with the new DLC out if its worth playing that first and how it influences other routes? I'm considering it just slotting it after BE or if to many spoilers in it after BL (which is kinda moot since I can't help my self reading the lore on various Fire Emblem wikis).

PBalfredo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
I got this game on release and sunk a ton of time into it before having it drop off, recently decided to (force) pick it up where I left at chapter 17ish on Golden Deer. Now after nearly 80 hours I'm approaching the end of my first route. Amazing game, love the characters, the world building and history just pulls me in and I want to play more. Only issue is that the game. Takes. Damn. Ages. to play.

That being said I'll finish up the Golden Deer tomorrow after having to pick my partner (Hilda, Marianne or Lysithea) and killing of the last boss (Ill miss my deers...). Which means its time for me to go new game plus with a new house. I always was planning to go GD -> BE -> BL -> Church but was wondering with the new DLC out if its worth playing that first and how it influences other routes? I'm considering it just slotting it after BE or if to many spoilers in it after BL (which is kinda moot since I can't help my self reading the lore on various Fire Emblem wikis).
You're free to jump into Cindered Shadows after any route since CS doesn't really spoil anything aside from hinting at what secrets Rhea and the church are keeping, and you already dig through most of that in GD. The rest is self-contained to CS. I'd recommend playing through Cindered Shadows before your next playthrough, in fact, since clearing it allows you to recruit the Ashen Wolves in the main campaign.

shinespark

Oct 25, 2017
I'd say that playing Cindered Shadows right after your first playthrough of the main game is pretty much ideal. Storywise it doesn't reveal much of interest, honestly, but the character and class unlocks from the DLC will make your second playthrough feel way less repetitive.

SlickVic

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Wrapped up Cindered Shadows and after over 90 hours, finally done with Three Houses. Maybe I'll go back and do another Route at some point, but definitely not anytime soon.

DLC was pretty fun as far as side stories go. Fights were definitely much tougher than the main game, and makes you think carefully about unit positioning (at least much more than I was used to from the main game), and I probably used Divine Pulse way more than I did in the main game. Definitely was nice to use characters I didn't interact with on my CF run as well. Overall felt like a good way to cap off my Three Houses experience.

milkyway

One Winged Slayer
May 17, 2018
Man I've reached the time skip in Crimson Flower and... I'm honestly really disappointed compared to Verdant Winds. I'm not sure what people see in this route.
Edelgard finally reveals herself as Flame Emperor, explains nothing, and launches an assault on the church. What do I do in response? Join her, just because, I guess. Rhea turns into a dragon and Edelgard goes "see? obviously evil". Ok, right. Then somehow the first battle is an all-out assault on the church? That escalated quickly. We win, and I disappear and fall asleep for 5 years (wha? why?), while the country is embroiled in a nasty war. Why is Claude on the offensive against the empire exactly if he's seemingly managed to stay out of the way for 5 years? Why is Edelgard a better warmonger than a diplomat? The fact that she has to go to war with the entire continent and conquer Fodlan to achieve her goal of overthrowing a corrupt church is a massive weakness to her character and ability as a leader. I guess the act belligerent and not explain why strategy doesn't work well for diplomacy. Hopefully it gets better and maybe some of my questions get answered more along the way but so far I'm feeling sour about this route, and Verdant Winds had a fairly more superior story (maybe because Edelgard works better as a villain...) and a much better time-skip reunion.
I'm having a lot of fun with the maddening difficulty though will say that.

PK Gaming

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Having recently beaten Verdant Wind (+CF a while back) I feel like Edelgard is overrated as an antagonist and underrated as a protagonist

Fosko

Oct 27, 2017
I want to play the Black Eagles path on Lunatic after beating Blue Lions at Hard. Does the dlc break the balance of the game like in Fates? Should I avoid buying/using it if I want a challenge?
Also, do I need to play each path again to see all that the dlc has to offer?

Homura

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 20, 2019
I want to play the Black Eagles path on Lunatic after beating Blue Lions at Hard. Does the dlc break the balance of the game like in Fates? Should I avoid buying/using it if I want a challenge?
Constance has supports with Edelgard, Hapi with Dimitri and Balthus with Claude so if you want to watch all their supports you have to do CF, AM and VW.

Morlas

Looking for a better cartoon show.
Oct 25, 2017
not really, the DLC classes are about as strong as the strong classes in the base game, and the ashen wolves are all pretty strong, but not any more so than the stronger units in the base game.

Claris

Oct 29, 2017
I would suggest not doing the special DLC extra missions on free days, they give relatively a lot more experience than everything else.

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
Second half of Nintendo Everything's translation of the Nintendo Dream interview was posted today: https://nintendoeverything.com/fire-emblem-three-houses-interview-part-2-byleth-dimitri-eyepatch/

I'm kinda LTTP on this, I think other translations of the whole thing may have been posted earlier, I'm just reading the whole thing now. Anyway it's a really great interview, you can feel all the thought they put into every aspect of the game. I really liked reading how they would write tons of background lore, how much thought they put into the food, or how they purposely wouldn't include things in the foreground of the game (like Hilda's brother) in order to make the game world seem bigger.

Also I laughed at this quote:
Yokota: There are certainly characters who are exceptionally popular, but I feel like all the characters are loved in Three Houses. There were a lot of characters that we worked really hard to write, so I'm very grateful… But man, I knew Dimitri was gonna be a hit. (Laughs)

Common Knowledge

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I really wish Crimson Flower got a lengthy Q&A session with Edelgard, probably sometime shortly after the time skip, in which
she explains much more of her motivations and prior actions, especially in regards to her whole Flame Emperor persona and the seemingly boneheaded and unnecessarily cruel plan at the very start of the game to have a group of thieves kill some students. I know there's some theories/speculation that that whole thing was more of just a way to scare away the prior professor and have Jeritza take their place (which of course Byleth then throws a wrinkle in that plan), rather than actually performing a massacre of kids, but it's something that would have really helped understand her case and perception with some players to have her outright explain some things to Byleth.

As it is, having the whole Flame Emperor thing get immediately tossed to the side post time-skip and literally not ever mentioned again is weird and jarring.

On a lesser note, it would have been cool to have her Flame Emperor costume as an alt for her.

Morlas

Looking for a better cartoon show.
Oct 25, 2017
I really wish Crimson Flower got a lengthy Q&A session with Edelgard, probably sometime shortly after the time skip, in which
she explains much more of her motivations and prior actions, especially in regards to her whole Flame Emperor persona and the seemingly boneheaded and unnecessarily cruel plan at the very start of the game to have a group of thieves kill some students. I know there's some theories/speculation that that whole thing was more of just a way to scare away the prior professor and have Jeritza take their place (which of course Byleth then throws a wrinkle in that plan), rather than actually performing a massacre of kids, but it's something that would have really helped understand her case and perception with some players to have her outright explain some things to Byleth.

As it is, having the whole Flame Emperor thing get immediately tossed to the side post time-skip and literally not ever mentioned again is weird and jarring.

On a lesser note, it would have been cool to have her Flame Emperor costume as an alt for her.
I wish they had Flame Emperor as a magic alt to her regular personal classes

PBalfredo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017

Yeah, I agree.

I think they were worried that there was already too much info to chew through between the holy tomb and the time skip, and the narrative momentum after the timeskip doesn't leave much room to revisit the past. Still, it would have helped out a lot to have some Q&A to smooth out the transition, cause on my first playthrough I was sitting on a lot of questions until Hubert takes Byleth aside to lay out their real relationship to TWSitD.

What they really needed is to give her a support with Jeritza! I'm utterly perplexed as to why they didn't do that. It would have been a perfect opportunity to give a peak into their actions during White Clouds. I also want more insight into their relationship. It's a hell of thing to just say that teenage El found him wondering the woods and then yada yada yada he's her personal Death Knight now, and leave it at that. C'mon IS/KT, let's dig into that!

Caz

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Replaying Path of Radiance, it really does make me appreciate, while still flawed, how much better:
Edelgard works as a "breaker of chains" sort of character that Ashnard fails to live up to. Half of the time, he's just lounging around and laughing, waiting for you to get to Crimea's capital while Edelgard actually participates in multiple encounters with your forces as an antagonist. He's not mad so much as a maddeningly badly written mixture of social darwinism and nihilism.

The Awesomest

Mar 3, 2018
Is there a list of what catalogues exist for certain combinations of DLC characters? I recruited Balthus and Hapi and I think they had one. Do Yuri and Constance have the other or are there different combinations?

Tochtli79

Jun 27, 2019
Mexico City
Yeah, I agree.

I think they were worried that there was already too much info to chew through between the holy tomb and the time skip, and the narrative momentum after the timeskip doesn't leave much room to revisit the past. Still, it would have helped out a lot to have some Q&A to smooth out the transition, cause on my first playthrough I was sitting on a lot of questions until Hubert takes Byleth aside to lay out their real relationship to TWSitD.

What they really needed is to give her a support with Jeritza! I'm utterly perplexed as to why they didn't do that. It would have been a perfect opportunity to give a peak into their actions during White Clouds. I also want more insight into their relationship. It's a hell of thing to just say that teenage El found him wondering the woods and then yada yada yada he's her personal Death Knight now, and leave it at that. C'mon IS/KT, let's dig into that!

Yeah Jeritza not supporting Edelgard and Hubert at least is some BS. It was the perfect opportunity to delve more into their uneasy alliance with TWSITD. The fact that none of the post-launch updates really added any of the things sorely missing from CF is so disappointing.

TurokTTZ

Oct 25, 2017
Second half of Nintendo Everything's translation of the Nintendo Dream interview was posted today: https://nintendoeverything.com/fire-emblem-three-houses-interview-part-2-byleth-dimitri-eyepatch/

I'm kinda LTTP on this, I think other translations of the whole thing may have been posted earlier, I'm just reading the whole thing now. Anyway it's a really great interview, you can feel all the thought they put into every aspect of the game. I really liked reading how they would write tons of background lore, how much thought they put into the food, or how they purposely wouldn't include things in the foreground of the game (like Hilda's brother) in order to make the game world seem bigger.

Also I laughed at this quote:
I was gonna mention something about the interviews being properly translated now but you beat me to it.

I had a lot on my mind when I finished going over it when it came out weeks ago. There's this one bit in particular where it's been bothering me nonstop to this day as I play TH and Vestaria Saga:

"And as it says in the Shadow Library, she even restricted the growth of civilization when it began progressing too quickly for her. There's an answer as to why… but that's a secret for now. (Laughs)"

それにも理由があるんですけど…そこは内緒ということで(笑).

My take weeks ago: there's a reason for this... But that's a secret. (laughs)

Something about the way kusakihara phrased this... Just rubs me the wrong way somehow. But perhaps I'm overthinking it...

Forget it. I'm overthinking this. And yet I can't help but overthink it.

Replaying Path of Radiance, it really does make me appreciate, while still flawed, how much better:
Edelgard works as a "breaker of chains" sort of character that Ashnard fails to live up to. Half of the time, he's just lounging around and laughing, waiting for you to get to Crimea's capital while Edelgard actually participates in multiple encounters with your forces as an antagonist. He's not mad so much as a maddeningly badly written mixture of social darwinism and nihilism.
Have you played Radiant Dawn?
You've missed the context for Ashnard's actions. Heck he even spells it out for you at his dying breath. Though you won't truly get the full picture till Radiant Dawn. He ain't badly written. Ashnard IS an idiot. That's two different things.

Last edited:

HBK

Oct 30, 2017

I agree but the Flame Emperor is tossed away for part two in all routes, something which makes more sense in some routes than in others, but still feels pretty weird. It's built as an antagonist or at the very least an extremely gray character, and then when the mask is dropped it's just "well, it was just a mask" which just ends up feeing disappointing, whether you may agree with the character or not.

The Awesomest

Mar 3, 2018
Wait I just finished Verdant Wind and

What happened to Rhea?! It never said she died. I wanted to S-rank her! She just vanished or something?

HBK

Oct 30, 2017

What happened to Rhea?! It never said she died. I wanted to S-rank her! She just vanished or something?
I think it's implied she's recovering (kinda, there could be a lot to discuss about what should happen to her based on SS, but the game gives us no clue in VW so...)

Kira.FA37

Jan 11, 2018
And finished the Golden Deer, married Hilda but I have a save from before, I might reconsider and go for Marianne instead. Some of the pairings I got were:
- Claud x Ingrid
- Lorenz x Lysithea
- Ignatz x Petra
- Rapheal x Marianne

Bit bummed I couldn't get Leonie nor Dorothea paired up... and that there is no records of the endings in the extra menus...

It's left vague and not explained but most likely she died to her wounds and given that Cyril's ending story is that she couldn't serve her anymore...

Rewatching the opening battle cinematic right now.. the world building is so good in this game. But new game plus will have to wait for me as I'll do the DLC next.

Last edited:

Caz

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Have you played Radiant Dawn?
You've missed the context for Ashnard's actions. Heck he even spells it out for you at his dying breath. Though you won't truly get the full picture till Radiant Dawn. He ain't badly written. Ashnard IS an idiot. That's two different things.
I did and
i'm talking about Path of Radiance specifically within the confines of that game's text because there's a lot of other things in Radiant Dawn that contradict the characterization and/or actions of multiple people in Path of Radiance. Within the context of that game, he doesn't come across as a "man who wants to watch the world burn" nor does he live up to the title of "mad king".

TurokTTZ

Oct 25, 2017
I did and
i'm talking about Path of Radiance specifically within the confines of that game's text because there's a lot of other things in Radiant Dawn that contradict the characterization and/or actions of multiple people in Path of Radiance. Within the context of that game, he doesn't come across as a "man who wants to watch the world burn" nor does he live up to the title of "mad king".
Wait... Why am I spoiler tagging something that is over 10+ years old?

How is he not the mad king? Dude wiped his own family, plunged an entire continent into war, committed atrocities against laguz that still grinds my gears to this day, disowned his own son and somehow sent his butt to Gallia of all places where he is eventually saved by his BFF Ike.

If he went around conquering nations. It would defeat the original purpose of him starting the war. Conquering wasn't even his intent. It was simply a means to an end. On PoR he was trying to release the dark god/Yune thinking her as some malevolent force who would be bring chaos and destruction. To him that chaos can help bring about change for his "might is right" rhetoric where only the strong survive and rule or some bs like that. He knew he couldn't do it by himself and so when he learned about the medallion, he finally found a way to create his "ideal society". Guy legit thought Yune was the best way to achieve this.

...man it's been a while since I marathoned the tellius games. perhaps I should return once I finish Vestaria Saga Gaiden. My tellius knowledge feels mad rusty.

Tochtli79

Jun 27, 2019
Mexico City
So I finally witnessed THAT moment at the end of BL part 1. It being my third route, I gotta say it's all it's hyped up to be compared to the other routes. I can't believe CF doesn't get a big equivalent cutscene.

Oct 25, 2017
Decided to jump back in and do a Hard+Classic Blue Lions playthrough from scratch. I plan on mostly just using the characters in the house, but are there any people I should recruit for paralogues later on to get good loot?

Homura

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 20, 2019
Wait, just a special scene? Does the paralogue happen before or after the time skip? I played Caspar a lot on my BE run, and I don't really feel like playing him on BL.
The paralogue happens after the timeskip and it unlocks a short 30 seconds dialogue with a nice cg in chapter 20 .
The rewards are a really good lance and an accessory which nullifies a unit's weakness to bows (if in a flying class) or horseslayers (if in a riding class).
If you don't want to bother with Caspar you can just look it up on youtube.

Oct 25, 2017
The paralogue happens after the timeskip and it unlocks a short 30 seconds dialogue with a nice cg in chapter 20 .
The rewards are a really good lance and an accessory which nullifies a unit's weakness to bows (if in a flying class) or horseslayers (if in a riding class).
If you don't want to bother with Caspar you can just look it up on youtube.

Oh okay good to know. The lance and accessory are good enough reasons to recruit him. Thanks!

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
I have just finished my third route (Blue Lions), and I got the confirmation that this game continues to give me great satisfactions. This is the first time I have ever completed a full route in Hard/"false" Classic. I use the "false" adjective because I always set Casual, but then I avoid to have any killed units, as if it was Classic. In the other routes (and past games), at least for the last battle either I lowered the difficult or accepted the "death" of some units. This time instead I completed my route in Hard and without losing any unit in all the battles, including the final one. I think this "Hard" difficulty maybe be easier than past "Hard", but it is more difficult than past "Easy". It is really a difficulty almost made for me.

I loved the backstory of Dimitri, and at the same time I had the possibility to get additional background for Edelgard. Many questions were finally answered in this route, after getting partial answers in the two Black Eagles routes. Now the only missing route is Golden Deers, but I think I will leave it for future. I noticed that returning to play Fire Emblem after 6 months from the first two routes was really satisfying.

With this route, this game became the one I played the longest in my life - 120 hours, my previous records were Pokemon Y and Mario Kart 8 DX at 105.

WhiskerFrisker

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Sooo, this is my first Fire Emblem game and I just really started sinking my teeth in after beating Persona 5 Royal. Can I get some general tips and guides for this game and the systems. It's a lot to digest.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Sooo, this is my first Fire Emblem game and I just really started sinking my teeth in after beating Persona 5 Royal. Can I get some general tips and guides for this game and the systems. It's a lot to digest.
Edelgard STRONGK

Nah, but it depends on what you're having issues with. The basic combat is fairly straightforward - You want to eliminate the highest possible number of enemy units per turn while not leaving any of your units open to fatal retaliation. Everything else sorta descends from that.

PBalfredo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Don't sleep on battalions. They might not seem like much at first but they're super useful! The passive stat boosts they provide applies for as long as the battalion is equipped and high level battalions can make you pretty beefy. The Gambits they allow you to do are also important. All enemies hit by a gambit can't move on their next turn, so it's a useful was to lock down a bunch of guys with an AoE attack. Higher rank battalions have better range, but the one Byleth starts with will carry you for the first half of the game. If you ever see some enemies lined up, hit them with the battalion. Also the gambit that's arguably the best in the game, Stride, is available on one of the rank E mage battalions.

The game throws a lot of systems at your way, but don't sweat it, there is plenty of margin for error so you can always course correct. In the monastery, just concentrate on keeping enough people motivated that you can make full use of lesson time. Fishing and gardening don't take up time points, so always have something growing in the garden. Fishing is only limited by the amount of bait you have, so fishing on the Fists Full o' Fish event will let you catch multiple fish per cast.

When instructing your students, go with their strengths and works towards the skill requirements of their next class change. This should allow you to class change as soon as your students hit the level requirement.

Generally you want to change class ASAP since most high classes provide better movement. Though sometimes it's also worth it to stick with a class for a while to get the class mastery skill. IMO the worthwhile ones to stick around for are Death Blow (brigand), Fiendish Blow (Mage), Darting Blow (Pegasus Knight) and either Reposition (soldier) or Draw Back (Monk).

When your students start getting into the Advance Classes, you might notice Byleth is lagging behind in skills required to graduate into Advance Class. This is normal. Byleth will get a free Advance Class (specializing in swords/fists/faith) at a story event around mid-game.