erikNORML

Oct 30, 2017
Absolutely. I think that's the main reason why people are loving the characters (and the game in general) so much. It's definitely the game's strongest point, especially because very few titles as ambitious as this one give this sort of liberty to the player.

I kind of agree with you on this. As a one-off I think this was fine, but I really don't see how they can keep the same personal impact while making the whole "multiple routes" thing more accesible at the same time. I just feel like it's fundamentally bad game design, not respecting the player's time very much by locking a lot of lore and important story stuff behind other routes. It's still a great game I'd recommend to any Switch owner, though!

That's fair. I think I generally lean more towards the fact that I don't have to see EVERYTHING, I get that some people's personal desires are different. Like I'm ride or die Black Eagles, so naturally thats the side of the story I saw (and probably the only one because there's too many games to sink another 60 hours into FE, even though I absolutely am in love with it). It creates an interesting tension and discussion, knowing that each decision shaped how I felt about characters, how my story went, and even what parts of the story I got to witness or learn more about made it all feel kinda weighty in an odd almost metaphysical way. It's a unique feeling and I like it. Honestly it is just straight up wild that the developers sank so much time and work into creating multiple distinct play through paths/storylines, when most people will only ever fully see one (if that). Really made this game unique and special. I'd love to see them come up with some whole new dynamic for the next fire emblem though I believe, instead of just replicating this model or going back to the basics.

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
Mages are so fucking annoying in the last few battles.

edit: Wow, I am actually struggling on Hard with this last map, it's actually frustrating.

Last edited:

Xavi

Oct 27, 2017
Lightning for Smash
This makes me wish they went for SoV's artstyle

om5s0zvcowh31.png

Ozzie

One Winged Slayer
Jan 12, 2018
Despite clearing all routes after 150 hours on hard/classic, I can't stop thinking about this amazing game. I really want more...

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
I need help with the last map for BL.

I only have 2 DP charges left and I'm getting fucking rekt by these god damn mages. I'm close to Edlegard but she fucking crits my squishy healers for one hit KO's and I'm playing on Classic so I don't want to lose anyone.

I might actually have to replay this entire battle and drop this to Normal. It's fucking absurd.

Xavi

Oct 27, 2017
Lightning for Smash
I need help with the last map for BL.

I only have 2 DP charges left and I'm getting fucking rekt by these god damn mages. I'm close to Edlegard but she fucking crits my squishy healers for one hit KO's and I'm playing on Classic so I don't want to lose anyone.

I might actually have to replay this entire battle and drop this to Normal. It's fucking absurd.
Do you have fliers? They pretty much tank the mages

TurokTTZ

Oct 25, 2017
Despite clearing all routes after 150 hours on hard/classic, I can't stop thinking about this amazing game. I really want more...
all routes after 150hours? wtf am i doing wrong? 240+ hours in and I'm just about to start BL after clearing GD Route for 2nd time already having cleared Church and BE route.

Golden Deer route so good I played it twice. had to get the nasty taste of BE route out of my mouth. never playing that route again.

Now to see how Dimitri's route looks.
Is that save breaking glitch on BL route still a thing i need to watch out for?

Ozzie

One Winged Slayer
Jan 12, 2018
all routes after 150hours? wtf am i doing wrong? 240+ hours in and I'm just about to start BL after clearing GD Route for 2nd time already having cleared Church and BE route.

Golden Deer route so good I played it twice. had to get the nasty taste of BE route out of my mouth. never playing that route again.

Now to see how Dimitri's route looks.
Is that save breaking glitch on BL route still a thing i need to watch out for?
Well damn 240 hours lol. I also did every single paralouge and quest in all routes too. I haven't encountered a glitch in any of the routes though.

Kino

Oct 25, 2017
I hope they don't honestly. Having the multiple routes and decision points made the story feel more personal to me and raised the stakes on my decision making and planning. I do agree there should be an easier way to see the other routes, but I'm not sure how to best do that in the format of 3H because even though its kind of a slog to redo the front half again for a different house, it was that quieter intro that formed the bonds I felt with my team and gave them a sense of growth. While if I were to be able to start again with another house and just jump right to the time skip, not sure I'd feel as invested or care about my students as much. I think it might just be better as a story/piece of art to play once and make my choices and live with them and the story I get is what I get, that's how life is.
I agree that the school section is important in developing the bonds and setting up the second half, but there's really no good reason why each house didn't have their own missions involving their respective territories. This is largely why I consider BL the best route, the missions in the first half of the story actually relate to its members and set up the politics and drama to come. You don't get that with the other houses.

I like this multiple route approach, but I think it would work better if we saw the same story told from each house's perspective rather than each house getting their own story.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
The time finally arrived in my blue lions run....I had to kill Bernie Bear
War is hell.

I've actively avoided killing other students if I can during my Crimson Flower run. I spared every Golden Deer and thought I would be able to do the same with the Blue Lions but then I cleared an entire map and Ingrid was still there so I did what had to be done. Felt kind of bad.

It's funny cause I bodied Cyril without a thought

I'm on the last map I think, and talk about difficulty spike. This shit is straight up cheap lol

Tochtli79

Jun 27, 2019
Mexico City
My favorite part of any Fire Emblem game is when you're reading the epilogues of your party members and then the FE theme hits. It's so good *every single time*.

It was especially emotional for me with 3H because it captured that feeling that the DS and 3DS titles fell short of for me. Like Conquest and SoV came close, but ultimately I hadn't felt this way about an FE game since Radiant Dawn, where I really love the world and characters and story. So hearing the main theme at the end really brought back memories of beating the GBA and Tellius games when I was younger.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
I've actively avoided killing other students if I can during my Crimson Flower run. I spared every Golden Deer and thought I would be able to do the same with the Blue Lions but then I cleared an entire map and Ingrid was still there so I did what had to be done. Felt kind of bad.

I'm on the last map I think, and talk about difficulty spike. This shit is straight up cheap lol
I thought Byleth would get the option to spare her like when I conked lysithea during crimson flower, but nope, she just died, with a cruel parting quote and at the hands of alternative timeline husbando.

my attempts to make it better only made it worse.

having Dorothea in the monastery after wiping out Ferdinand in this BL run and she really rubbed salt in the wound with dialogue specifically saying along the lines of "we killed ferdie" gah, the nickname and everything!

oh yeah final Crimson Flower is a spike for sure, I still laugh and cry at what enemy Gilbert ended up doing in that map.

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
Wow Mariannes paralogue was punishing lmao. Great story reveals however.

I wonder if Marianne can actually understand animals, bearing the crest of the beast and all.

I'm also really liking Claude and Petra together. Their first two supports were nice and they have important things in common.

I totally see the schemer flirting with M!Byleth even if he isnt bi haha

and to your spoiler.
yup, though the game actually avoids explaing it at all.. until after you finish the game

Its not just simple flirting either. This dude connects to Byleth on a spiritual level lol. A bond that cant be described in words as he said. Perhaps I should have played GD as F!Byleth. Definitely playing BL as her though.

WolfeTone

Oct 25, 2017
My favorite part of any Fire Emblem game is when you're reading the epilogues of your party members and then the FE theme hits. It's so good *every single time*.
Agree so much with this! The FE main theme is an incredible piece of music and I'm loving how recent games are saving a beautiful rendition of it for the end credits/epilogue. It's so fitting.

ryseing

Bought courtside tickets just to read a book.
Oct 25, 2017
For lovers
Before I indulge in my favorite Fire Emblem tradition of using ALL the stat boosters before the final battle, I just want to clarify- they don't carry over to NG+, correct?

Etrian Oddity

Oct 26, 2017

I'm recruiting Her Highness [Petra] every run, idgaf I'm in House Brigid Toucans.

Lorenz is def a problematic fav
Ain't nothing problematic about my dude Lo, he understands he made mistakes and grows up accordingly. A terrific character arc! :D

ibyea

Oct 25, 2017
Golden Deer cast really feel like they came from another game because wow Blue Lions feel so normal in comparison, haha. They are the most cohesive group out of all of them, and the most involved in the drama of the early chapters so far. The only bad thing about them is Mercedes's voice. She has the worst performance out of all named characters.

ibyea

Oct 25, 2017
I will never understand how some of you guys take longer than 60 hours for a single route, haha.

Last edited:

Caz

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Man, remember when criticals in Fire Emblem didn't have flourishes with badass one-liners?
Those were better days frankly.

If there's one area where Three Houses has been an utter letdown, it's in the visuals. The maps look hideous, the lack of anti-aliasing is distracting, especially when exploring the monastery, not to mention the same handful of (underwhelming) character animations for characters really hurt the supports when they could have used more unique movements to help further define the characters, at least when the game decides to animate the characters; I swear that half of them have some portion fading to/in black when a character is about to/in the process of an action like swinging their sword or handing another character their glasses.

But returning to the battle animations, the cutaways are detrimental because they have the opposite effect. They're not winding up to the swing so much as it's interrupting the buildup, not helped by the animation lacking the punch that the older entries did. Three Houses is better than the 3DS entries in as much as there's more flair and the camera is more dynamic in showing off said attacks, especially when using a combat art but it's let down attacks that are sluggish whose impact makes it seem like you're fighting cardboard cutouts rather than human beings; every time I see a knight unit be sent flying, I burst out laughing because of how ridiculous it looks with some teenager jumping in the air after halting their momentum and then swinging their sword at them. The GBA entries despite far greater limitations were rather excellent at conveying this sense of weight to the character's movements by having every critical hit cause the screen to shake the screen while the sound when it lands being altered to convey how much more powerful the attack was. Hell, as ugly as Radiant Dawn was, at least the attacks overall felt like they had more punch to them, and that game is way older than Three Houses.

And the lines are such obnoxious reminders of a character's at best, doubly so when you have a character with a high critical hit rate/weapon with a high critical hit rate ("I'LL SHOW YOU SOMETHING TO BELIEVE IN" loses any charm it once had when you've heard it for the hundredth time); i'm genuinely surprised there isn't an option to turn them off because they would become grating even if they were cute or "badass". I can't say I have the same exhaustion seeing the oft over the top, yet charming animations featured in the SNES or GBA eras, in fact I wouldn't have minded as much if they at least used the smaller cast to give them slight variations to the base animation for X weapon wielded by Y class given how much more standardized they are this time around, use the bas animations to perhaps show each character's personality through the animation, but they decided to opt for making them functional rather than impressive. It's been four games and i'm so sick of seeing the same flaws emerge from each successive entry.

Also: Sorry for this long rant, this wasn't aimed at you or anyone in particular in this thread, i've just been disappointed in how this game looks for a while and needed to get this off my chest.

Wow Mariannes paralogue was punishing lmao. Great story reveals however.

I wonder if Marianne can actually understand animals, bearing the crest of the beast and all.
That seems to be what they're implying i.e. her being able to communicate with animals because of her crest, which is supported by her support with Raphael as he notices she's talking to a bird.

Last edited:

grizzlybara

Oct 25, 2017
Hmmm so class spoilers for GD but
now that Claude is a Wyvern Master does the class Bowfaire stack with the Bowfaire I already learned or should I switch one out?

The_Strokes

Oct 25, 2017
México
Starting my first NG+ route, went GD since I didn't recruit a single member of them in my BE-E route, decided to change language to English to see how the voice acting his like in comparison.

Little pet peeve but I hate that the game treats you like you're a new player after clearly acknowledged this is at the very least your second playthrough, stop showing me the goddamn tutorial menus!

Busaiku

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Welp, got to the point where I can battle 3 times now, but there are no Paralogues or Sidequests.

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
Lmao the Raphael / Shamir supports are hilarous. Amazing job by Raphs VA. I couldnt stop cracking up during the B support.

falcondoc

Oct 29, 2017
So why the hell does divine pulse not undo critical hits? The whole purpose I thought was to help undo BS like that. Stupid beasts keep killing Byleth and cant rewind it...

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
So why the hell does divine pulse not undo critical hits? The whole purpose I thought was to help undo BS like that. Stupid beasts keep killing Byleth and cant rewind it...

It doesn't change the roll, that's precalulated. It lets you change how the situation goes down instead. Miss with an attack at 95% even if you rewind you will still miss, you got to do something new.