• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 26, 2017
I'm doing a Black Eagles run after Golden Deer.

Claude and the deer team will always be my favorite but the Black Eagles are starting to grow on me. (Bernadetta and Hubert are my favorites.)

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Yay, I finally beat one route! I forgot to get the ring though, so I guess I'll die alone. Does anyone know if there's an easy way to unlock all the S ranks in the Extras?
I thought it was part of a mandatory quest. Still, I picked nobody on my first playthrough because Byleth is awful, and I like to think anyone he asked would have declined anyway.

Dedue is probably going to get benched, poor guy has gotten trash levels even worse than his trash growths. Level 22 and I think he's only had two levels that got more than two stats up. Even strength and defense have been really inconsistent. All he does is take physical hits well thanks to high HP, good defense, and his personal skill (which means not attacking), but that's not really good enough because Sylvain and Dimitri are within a couple points of his defense, not far behind in HP, and are a lot faster, with better movement and canto, and deal more damage on average. Kind of ruins his niche.

Dee Dee

Nov 2, 2017
Today's Cipher Card reveal for Three Houses is Lysithea!

EEVFg9eUEAA7ua8.png:large

Isn't her warlock costume white in game?

Can I also say:

Flayn and Seteth = Yawn

I had no interest in any of their support conversations, I would hard skip them when they came up.

I have no time for "Teenage girl that's actually 200 years old and overly protective brother."

You're clearly missing out on some back story here, lol. I also thought Seteth's supports with Flayn were his weakest (his supports with the students and the Knights/Teachers are awesome), but their A support was worth it. Do it.
So now his support with Byleth is his weakest support. (HIS S SUPPORT IS ALSO WORTH IT THOUGH.)

Anteo

Oct 25, 2017
Ch 3 maddening was way more manegeable. I was even getting some double attacks.

I dont think I can justify recruiting more than 2 students though, with how little exp you get all the time. I wonder if flaynn is even usable, on hard she could tske a hir because the enemies could rarely 2 round her but here, leavibg her exposed would be certain death

Oct 25, 2017
Ch 3 maddening was way more manegeable. I was even getting some double attacks.

I dont think I can justify recruiting more than 2 students though, with how little exp you get all the time. I wonder if flaynn is even usable, on hard she could tske a hir because the enemies could rarely 2 round her but here, leavibg her exposed would be certain death

Well, due to the exp nerf, new characters will join at a higher level than your party. I'm thinking just Hanneman. Him + Dorothea softening groups with meteor on the approach.

zroid

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
After having finished the Blue Lions route, I just completed Chapter 17 in Golden Deer which is the Gronder Field redux battle

The first time I played that mission in BL route I pretty much fell right into the enemies' traps over and over which was hilarious and sad. Second time around I played them against each other, and that was extremely satisfying. I even got Dimitri to kill one of the demonic beasts, which killed two birds because it lured him away from his friends and the heal tile he was standing on. Side note: Dimitri in that battle is an absolute bastard to defeat, his stats are wild. Way tougher than Edelgard.

Anyway, at this point it kinda feels like Blue Lions is the "true" route? It seems to be the way to get the most content and save the most characters. You get the exclusive Annette paralogue, you get to use Gilbert, and you can still recruit Hilda. And Claude lives in the end. I was really sad that you didn't get a chance to "rescue" Dimitri the way you do Claude in the Blue Lions route. I thought for sure that was gonna be how the story goes. His death was so sad. :(

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Yay, I finally beat one route! I forgot to get the ring though, so I guess I'll die alone. Does anyone know if there's an easy way to unlock all the S ranks in the Extras?

I believe it's possible on NG+ to use renown to purchase S-ranks with any student you previously had A-ranks with (even if that A-rank was with a professor of incompatible gender, as long as your NG+ one is compatible).

This should unlock them in the Extras menu permanently, allowing you to simply reload the NG+ save, effectively spending zero renown to unlock all available ones.

Anteo

Oct 25, 2017
Well, due to the exp nerf, new characters will join at a higher level than your party. I'm thinking just Hanneman. Him + Dorothea softening groups with meteor on the approach.

Idk if that will work on GD. Some of the lategame GD shared maps with BL have the gd crew start in 2 or even 3 different places of the map making it difficult for your squishies to not take hits on hard classic. I dont even know how that works on maddening with the AI sending wave after wave with little to no room to breathe. Im thinking of getting either an extra healer like mercie or a good swordmaster that can work as an avoid tank like petra or felix.

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
Three Houses soundtrack is excellent though I think I liked Fates' just slightly more. I think the problem with TH is that there arent many unique tracks per route so if you do all 4, you hear the same tracks over and over again and it gets tiring after a while.

I absolutely adore "Chasing Daybreak" but post skip, that was on every mission and auxilliary battle. That said, each of the final map themes were absolutely incredible.

I legitimately laughed out loud upon hearing the Shambala map theme.

Holy shit loooooooool

It's so good. It was really hard playing the game while head banging though.

Last edited:

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
After having finished the Blue Lions route, I just completed Chapter 17 in Golden Deer which is the Gronder Field redux battle

The first time I played that mission in BL route I pretty much fell right into the enemies' traps over and over which was hilarious and sad. Second time around I played them against each other, and that was extremely satisfying. I even got Dimitri to kill one of the demonic beasts, which killed two birds because it lured him away from his friends and the heal tile he was standing on. Side note: Dimitri in that battle is an absolute bastard to defeat, his stats are wild. Way tougher than Edelgard.

Anyway, at this point it kinda feels like Blue Lions is the "true" route? It seems to be the way to get the most content and save the most characters. You get the exclusive Annette paralogue, you get to use Gilbert, and you can still recruit Hilda. And Claude lives in the end. I was really sad that you didn't get a chance to "rescue" Dimitri the way you do Claude in the Blue Lions route. I thought for sure that was gonna be how the story goes. His death was so sad. :(
There's no true route. But having now played them all now, it's definitely a contest between Crimson Flower and Verdant Wind, for entirely different reasons.

zroid

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
There's no true route. But having now played them all now, it's definitely a contest between Crimson Flower and Verdant Wind, for entirely different reasons.
I understand that, I just mean the BL route gives you the most content and lets you save the most people. So you could make that argument.

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
I understand that, I just mean the BL route gives you the most content and lets you save the most people. So you could make that argument.
Yeah, I understand the feeling. It's just that it's the route that reveals the least, and also the one where the writing issues are the most glaring.

DVCY201

Oct 25, 2017
I believe it's possible on NG+ to use renown to purchase S-ranks with any student you previously had A-ranks with (even if that A-rank was with a professor of incompatible gender, as long as your NG+ one is compatible).

This should unlock them in the Extras menu permanently, allowing you to simply reload the NG+ save, effectively spending zero renown to unlock all available ones.
Great! I'll definitely try this, thank you!

Bovine

Oct 29, 2017
Is there now a difficulty setting close to Hard Conquest? That was the ideal difficulty for me.

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
That feel when you get a Perfect on a Goddess Messenger. Didn't think I'd ever do that.

shinespark

Oct 25, 2017
Started my Blue Lions run on Maddening. Was having a ton of difficulty with the mock battle until I gave in and just used Felix, and then beat it on my first try.

I was excited to finally use Dedue as my tank since it's the first time I've had him on my team, but it kinda seems like he's just bad.

Anteo

Oct 25, 2017
Well fuck. The reinforcements that appear mid map on ch 5 are 2 units with pass. I was out of divine pulses and they managed to surround byleth, i had made a wall of units but didnt account for pass. dammit. There were no more units around as i baited the rest from the low ground. What a way to lose a map

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
It's probably just me getting old, but since the patch, Hard mode seems slightly harder (slightly, maybe it's just tweaks to the double roll or something), and the framerate in the monastery doesn't seem to tank as much.

Also the new battles are pretty cool, but I thought they'd be a tad more limited in terms of availability. Now it seems you can just farm them, and while the added difficulty is nice, it's kind of offset by, well, the higher levels, thus XP gains.

That being said, I think I've found my own hard+ mode. Just stop using Iron ASAP (so not early game where they're basically your only weapons) and you're getting doubled left and right plus you hit significantly less. As an added bonus, Iron weapons look like shit (I dunno why they have this weird rusty look ...), so it's easier on the eyes. Of course I also avoid Training weapons.

Seriously, except in specific situations late game, Iron/Training weapons are just way too good (speed FTW). And I may be wrong, but I doubt Maddening changes that.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
It's probably just me getting old, but since the patch, Hard mode seems slightly harder (slightly, maybe it's just tweaks to the double roll or something), and the framerate in the monastery doesn't seem to tank as much.

Also the new battles are pretty cool, but I thought they'd be a tad more limited in terms of availability. Now it seems you can just farm them, and while the added difficulty is nice, it's kind of offset by, well, the higher levels, thus XP gains.

That being said, I think I've found my own hard+ mode. Just stop using Iron ASAP (so not early game where they're basically your only weapons) and you're getting doubled left and right plus you hit significantly less. As an added bonus, Iron weapons look like shit (I dunno why they have this weird rusty look ...), so it's easier on the eyes. Of course I also avoid Training weapons.

Seriously, except in specific situations late game, Iron/Training weapons are just way too good (speed FTW). And I may be wrong, but I doubt Maddening changes that.
Maddening seems to shift the breakpoints significantly. You're often only hitting once with iron weapons, and you'll still be hitting once with Steel (though sometimes you're doubled so it's better to keep Iron on hand for defensive use)

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
Maddening seems to shift the breakpoints significantly. You're often only hitting once with iron weapons, and you'll still be hitting once with Steel (though sometimes you're doubled so it's better to keep Iron on hand for defensive use)
Yeah, I mean the base mechanics are the same, so it's just a matter of enemies having higher stats, which means that even if you don't get to double with Iron, it may prevent you from being doubled.

I mean there are quite some cases where there are preferable options for offense, but it's just too good for defense (better avo, better spd).

Nevermeltice

One Winged Slayer
Feb 10, 2019
I was holding off on buying this since I have to defend my senior thesis next week and I still have to make a bunch of arrangements and organize my presentation, but I couldn't wait any longer and decided to cave in.

I'm absolutely in love with the characters and I so wanna marry Ashe... his frackles are like arrows to my heart.

Anteo

Oct 25, 2017

The problem with a no iron game is that silver weapons are actually lighter than steel so "no iron" just means.. use silver and get the benefits of higher damage and not getting doubled.
Now, a steel only game would be really interesting

Magnemania

Jan 25, 2018
I've reached the Raphael/Ignatz paralogue on Maddening by recruiting Ignatz, and Green Raphael has been autoleveled to 25. I have no idea why. Recruited students are level 15 this month and the rest of my team is in the 16-18 range. Raphael is faster than almost every unit in my army.

PBalfredo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Anyone having any luck with Warriors? I have Sylvain and Hilda as warriors currently, but they're kind of lackluster and I'm working on transitioning them to hero and wyvern lord, respectively. So far the MO of warriors have been OHKO something squishy or trade hits with something formidable on player phase, then get dogpiled by the AI and die on enemy phase. Being a big bag of HP that isn't great at defending or dodging is like kibble to the AI. And they just don't seem to be quite the crit machine they were in past games, though that might just be my luck, combined with less chances to crit compared to other classes due to how seldom they double.

It's been a bit slow going lately because I've been trying to play a bit each night, but this is a bad game to play when getting drowsy. Nothing worse then nodding off between turns, lol.

Just got to fields of torment and I know there is still a ways to go, but I'm feeling a bit ambivalent on Blue Lions. It seems to be gearing up as the Dimitri redemption story, but I'm not sure how bought in I am that he should be redeemed. Felix was right, Dimitri was always an animal, since before the game even started. Only difference is he was a high functioning psychopath before the time skip. So I kinda recoil whenever Byleth gets an option to say something like "I miss the old Dimitri" as if the old Dimitri was any different, and not this Drakkengard character guest starring in a Fire Emblem game.

Even beyond Dimitri, I've yet to grasp a reason to root for the Blue Lions (as a faction - I will always want my students to be happy and healthy) since so far their end goal seems to be to restore the status quo, which is not really something to rally behind after playing Black Eagle. I'm sure they'll get around to squashing TWSITD, which is all good. But so far I'm fighting more to dig into the Edelgard/Dimitri soap opera than for the actual cause of the Blue Lions, lol.

Anteo

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone having any luck with Warriors? I have Sylvain and Hilda as warriors currently, but they're kind of lackluster and I'm working on transitioning them to hero and wyvern lord, respectively. So far the MO of warriors have been OHKO something squishy or trade hits with something formidable on player phase, then get dogpiled by the AI and die on enemy phase. Being a big bag of HP that isn't great at defending or dodging is like kibble to the AI. And they just don't seem to be quite the crit machine they were in past games, though that might just be my luck, combined with less chances to crit compared to other classes due to how seldom they double.

It's been a bit slow going lately because I've been trying to play a bit each night, but this is a bad game to play when getting drowsy. Nothing worse then nodding off between turns, lol.

Just got to fields of torment and I know there is still a ways to go, but I'm feeling a bit ambivalent on Blue Lions. It seems to be gearing up as the Dimitri redemption story, but I'm not sure how bought in I am that he should be redeemed. Felix was right, Dimitri was always an animal, since before the game even started. Only difference is he was a high functioning psychopath before the time skip. So I kinda recoil whenever Byleth gets an option to say something like "I miss the old Dimitri" as if the old Dimitri was any different, and not this Drakkengard character guest starring in a Fire Emblem game.

Even beyond Dimitri, I've yet to grasp a reason to root for the Blue Lions (as a faction - I will always want my students to be happy and healthy) since so far their end goal seems to be to restore the status quo, which is not really something to rally behind after playing Black Eagle. I'm sure they'll get around to squashing TWSITD, which is all good. But so far I'm fighting more to dig into the Edelgard/Dimitri soap opera than for the actual cause of the Blue Lions, lol.

I feel like warriors have to be build around enemy phase with vantage and wrath (or they batallion versions) and buff them with retribution so they always kill before they ge hit on enemy phase. Otherwise they are not good enough tanks (so your positioning matters a lot more than sword masters) and they are not good enough at killing either.

Re:your spoilers
You should have played gd or be-c before BL i think. After getting the info from GD i could only smh at edelgard on her campaign haha. Its was hiliarous to me how the last boss from BE-E would say something in battle and Edel would missinterpret it completly.

Re dimitri
Also dimitri wants the status quo back? Sure but you have to think that so much suffering on his life comes from the actions of the empire. Him being sentenced and nearly executed, dedue's death when rescue him, the kingdom being reduced to a handful of territories, even the tragedy of duscur can be traced back to the empire. People are dying because of edelgard's ambitions and he has been one of the biggest victims.

Basileus777

Oct 26, 2017
New Jersey
Maddening enemies stats are so ballooned that only your fastest characters will ever double. And since most of your characters can't double and enemies are much beefier, you often need extra MT.

Basileus777

Oct 26, 2017
New Jersey
I really wish Byleth's spell list wasn't so awful. Zero utility spells, no ranged heal, no attacks with more than 2 range. Just bog standard 2 ranged attack spells of various MT. Enlightened One is so wasted on Byleth.

ibyea

Oct 25, 2017

Wait, the game is harder with steel and silver weapons? I have been using those. Is that why Grondor Field part 2 hard took me like 6 tries?

Arcus Felis

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
Training weapons are great since their weight is very low, they are pretty accurate and have great durability to boot. If your character has very high Strenght but low Speed, they may actually be the better option (that, and for Monk characters that can achieve x4 attacks that way), if only to avoid getting doubled.
Iron weapons are the bread and butter, thanks to higher Might. Slightly heavier than Training ones, but not that much in most cases.
Steel weapons should be used only to get the extra boost necessary to kill a target, or against units with high Defense, since their weight will hinder one's speed too much and make them susceptible to getting doubled (and eventually killed). Unless your character has insane Speed to begin with, that is, or Speed so low that using lighter weapons would be a waste anyway (ie. armored units).
Silver weapons are better than everything listed above, thanks to very high Might, similar accuracy to Iron (ie. pretty good), and being lighter than Steel weapons (still a bit heavier than Iron ones). The caveat is that they have low-ish durability, and a B rank is necessary to use them.

TLDR: Training and Iron are great in most circumstances (using one or the other will essentially depend on your character's speed).
Steel are situational. Silver are amazing (although can be considered overkill in some situations).

Last edited:

ibyea

Oct 25, 2017
I think this route has the best integrated story with the characters out of them. Watching the Felix/Dimitri support after Dimitri's apology is the perfect capstone to the chapter. At this point I can say BL is the best route. That said, they should have eased in Dimitri's transition better, like take a week or so for him to reflect on things.

Btw, you know how Rodrigue promised to Dimitri's dad to keep Dimitri in the straight and narrow? Man he sure failed at that.