• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How will FE:TH do on MC?

• 100-95

• 94-90

• 89-85

• 84-80

• 75-79

• Bomba

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Where did people get the idea that the presence of Heroes' Genealogy actors in Three Houses meant that a remake was coming?
It's not just that - people have been drawing comparisons between 3H and Genealogy for a while now, and so many of the Heroes Genealogy VAs being in 3H is another log on the fire.

Drax

Oregon tag
Oct 25, 2017
Where did people get the idea that the presence of Heroes' Genealogy actors in Three Houses meant that a remake was coming?

WIshful thinking in this regard.

There's also more evidence as well 1-2-3 all had remakes so four would probably be next. The japanaese cast that they had for Genealogy is loaded but they're pretty much all on the older side. Also, Genealogy has done pretty well in the banners it had in FEheroes (well mainly in Japan of course_, and the game has done well in popularity polls there. So I guess i would change it to there's more fuel to the fire.

Faiyaz

Nov 30, 2017
Bangladesh
Agree to disagree.

Titania is at best decent, personally. Only ever used her twice in Part 5 and what a letdown. At least she had decent resistance but couldn't hurt a damn thing.

This is like "agreeing to disagree" with the fact that the sun rises in the East.

Titania is literally the second best unit in the game after Haar, no question about it.

Anyway, sorry for the off-topic discussion.

Fendoreo1

Jan 1, 2019
1563420254928.png

Any idea what the headline says and when/if we can expect any new info?

Zekes

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't felt like playing Fire Emblem since Fates but Austin Walker sold me on this after listening to him talk about it on Waypoint Radio

Metroidvania

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe I missed it (in which case, apologies), but the reviewer for Polygon did a (part-1 only) AMA of sorts on reddit: can be found Here

Some takeaways (possible minor gameplay-related spoilers, I guess?)

-Mounted units are really important, and 'it's hard to make the general type high-armor/low-movement units work on some of the maps

-Males can (supposedly) become dancers

-The 'breaker' skills that replace the weapon triangle supposedly aren't blockable? (Not sure if this means the damage automatically goes through defenses, can't be dodged/missed, or something else)

-Charm stat - affects some recruitment. Certain students won't join with low charm, it increases the damage/hit rate of Gambits, and is tied to 'an important event' that the reviewer didn't want to spoil.

-Getting students from other houses to your 'side' takes a decently high stat/weapon proficiency requirements - teachers are much easier. seem to be mostly level-based. The reviewer speculates it'd be easier to snatch students via support conversations/levels.

-Some support conversations among non-MC characters do have "+" interludes/support levels

-Shove and Smite from Tellius games are in, though the reviewer can't remember which class unlocks them.

Main quests have all been pretty basic map-wise - the sidequests are more likely to have different objectives/goals

Also that Normal feels 'very easy' for someone who has played FE games before.

goddamn fully reminded again how I can't stand the female design. Didn't know how good we had it on that aspect in awakening and even fates. Guess I'll pick the male option this time.

IMO it's the dead-eye stare - Male Byleth may look a bit scowl-y, but at least he's got an expression.

(It's also the stupid hotpants/shorts)

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
^ actually don't classes change the costume? I might take a look at that first and then decide. It wouldn't be too bad if I didn't have to look at the default design for too long.

Metroidvania

Oct 25, 2017
^ actually don't classes change the costume? I might take a look at that first and then decide. It wouldn't be too bad if I didn't have to look at the default design for too long.

IIRC costume changes only occur during the combat segments while you're 'in' the battle - unless I'm missing/forgetting something, every single image/video during the monastary/teaching has all been in the default uniform.

Ninty is offering day one DLC for an alternate costume, but IMO female Byleth's doesn't look that much better.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
IIRC costume changes only occur during the combat segments while you're 'in' the battle - unless I'm missing/forgetting something, every single image/video during the monastary/teaching has all been in the default uniform.

Ninty is offering day one DLC for an alternate costume, but IMO female Byleth's doesn't look that much better.
well shit..... :(

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can i gay date the light blue boy whose name i cant remember but is a very big dork??????? Thats the only thing thatll get me to buy

Edit: also can i changel male byleth's hair????????? its the one thing his alt outfit doesnt fix and i despise that nasty bowlcut stickin to skin look

Last edited:

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
Hmm... with all the talk of how easy the Normal difficulty is, I might actually give Hard a shot even though I'm not brilliant at playing Fire Emblem. Especially since you can apparently lower the difficulty later, but cannot raise it.

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
Good for you. My fantasy is playing a badass commander warrior not an anime cosplayer. Her design doesn't feed very much into my idea of an authority figure, ready for combat.
Ah in that way. Well aside from looking beautiful I can see commander warrior suiting her. She looks determined enough. Being gifted with beauty shouldn't do away with that perse :p

Last edited:

Completely Anonymous

alt account
Banned
Jun 7, 2019
I've never played FE before, but played FFT more times than I can count - it's my favorite game. Haven't seen a game since Tactics Ogre that could match it, but I remain hopeful with FE. It looks just like the kind of game I could lose myself in, and I intend to play all paths

Still trying to decide whether to start with the Deer or the Lions - probably won't know until I talk to them at the start

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
I've never played FE before, but played FFT more times than I can count - it's my favorite game. Haven't seen a game since Tactics Ogre that could match it, but I remain hopeful with FE. It looks just like the kind of game I could lose myself in, and I intend to play all paths

Still trying to decide whether to start with the Deer or the Lions - probably won't know until I talk to them at the start
Personally, I've always preferred FE over FFT or TO because of its simplicity. I don't have to care about unit heights or facing and as a result, I can easily do the enemy phase damage math. The focus on managing chokes vs wide open maps also helps in that sense. It feels a bit more like a puzzle game where your starting pieces are what they are because of your past decisions. I hope you enjoy the game and I'd be eager to hear your thoughts in the OT!

the_wart

Oct 25, 2017
I spun up PoR tonight just the hell of it, having not played it since release. I was immediately reminded how nine out of ten "classic" Fire Emblem characters have the personality of a dry spaghetti noodle: stiff and flavorless. It's like they tried to put on an amateur production of Macbeth but they only had the script from an episode of Father Knows Best and they decided to go for it anyway. It's like a couple of kindergarten teachers drowned George RR Martin in hand sanitizer and then tried to fake their way through a book tour, Weekend-At-Bernie's style. It's like they invented time travel and used it to bring back gmail's autocomplete algorithm, which they then used to write the last 2/3s of every sentence in the game.

People really think this game has an interesting story? I just don't get it.

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017
I spun up PoR tonight just the hell of it, having not played it since release. I was immediately reminded how nine out of ten "classic" Fire Emblem characters have the personality of a dry spaghetti noodle: stiff and flavorless. It's like they tried to put on an amateur production of Macbeth but they only had the script from an episode of Father Knows Best and they decided to go for it anyway. It's like a couple of kindergarten teachers drowned George RR Martin in hand sanitizer and then tried to fake their way through a book tour, Weekend-At-Bernie's style. It's like they invented time travel and used it to bring back gmail's autocomplete algorithm, which they then used to write the last 2/3s of every sentence in the game.

You're trying too hard to look sophisticated with your paragraph. It's OK to dislike PoR/RD's story and it's not that confusing that some people loved them.

Phendrana

Oct 26, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
What are you basing any of this on? I mean it's like a 40 hour game. It does have a good story, but you're not going to see much of that in the first hour or so. The characters develop over time, too, so you won't get a solid impression of them with a quick check like this. I definitely prefer the characters from the 'classic' series, as opposed to the obnoxious 'I like sweets and almost everything I do relates to that' style used in Awakening and Fates.

I will say that voice acting is a revelation for the series though, and I missed it a lot when I replayed PoR earlier this year.

Batatina

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh, UK
I'm truly sad about the gay options. I was hoping people would discover that more were available other than those 3, but it sounds like that's really it. The fact that they just don't get it, makes me want to pass on the game.

Oddish1

Oct 25, 2017
What are you basing any of this on? I mean it's like a 40 hour game. It does have a good story, but you're not going to see much of that in the first hour or so. The characters develop over time, too, so you won't get a solid impression of them with a quick check like this. I definitely prefer the characters from the 'classic' series, as opposed to the obnoxious 'I like sweets and almost everything I do relates to that' style used in Awakening and Fates.

I will say that voice acting is a revelation for the series though, and I missed it a lot when I replayed PoR earlier this year.
Maybe this isn't the thread for this but statements like this always confused me because that's how it's always been for Fire Emblem characters? Most Fire Emblem characters are defined by a single quirk. Because there just isn't enough time and resources to properly define some fifty plus characters. Like in PoR Nephenee's sole characteristic is that she's a shy farm girl and that's it. Ilyana is that she eats a lot. In Blazing Blade Kent was the serious cavalier and Sain was the goofy one. Like one dimensional characters in Fire Emblem have always been a thing I don't understand why Fire Emblem fans are pretending that it suddenly started with Awakening.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
"Mounted units are important" ... well no shit. They all have Canto, cav even on top of the highest movement range. To be honest, i liked Awakening's approach via Galeforce more than just have all mounted units get that free leftover movement.

I hope at least that there's the option to "Rescue/Pair Up" mounted units with armor and infantry ones, so that Canto could be abused to get the low range units easier into position. And hopefully Smite will also be widely available for the same reason of getting these low range ones into action.
Still hoping for a large map tweaked Guidance/Armor March equivalent.

... That's a lot of hoping ....

I feel like we need to coin a new version of Godwin's Law specifically for the Fire Emblem community.

Corrin's Law: Any or all discussion of Fire Emblem on the internet will inevitably be derailed by people talking about how much they hated Fates.

I'm always available if you want the discussion derailed by me talking about how much i dislike Echoes! ^^

Nephenee was always my MVP. Was always fun seeing the soft-spoken country girl rip through waves of enemies :D

Just imagine that the enemies made fun of her accent. That seems to make her furious all the time. ^^

So this confirms that the one who offers his hand to Punished Dimitri is Byleth (probably post skip if you choose the Blue Lions) and it seems like Edelgard's bone axe is the one that causes the fire that attacks the soldiers.

Aren't those bone weapons made from dragon bones? Would make sense if all of these bone weapons had some fire-effect on them.

Phendrana

Oct 26, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Like in PoR Nephenee's sole characteristic is that she's a shy farm girl and that's it. Ilyana is that she eats a lot. In Blazing Blade Kent was the serious cavalier and Sain was the goofy one. Like one dimensional characters in Fire Emblem have always been a thing I don't understand why Fire Emblem fans are pretending that it suddenly started with Awakening.
I suppose you're right in a sense, but in the older games the main characteristic for each character was usually a lot more abstract imo. I think there's a pretty big difference between 'shy farm girl' and 'guy who likes sweets and mentions it in almost every support he has', for example. I feel like the older games have less gimmicky personality traits that lend themselves to more interesting supports, while in Awakening and Fates the 'personality traits' are often played as gags.

Obviously there are exceptions in each game, but I'm struck by this every time I play through Awakening and Fates (going through Conquest again atm).

Oddish1

Oct 25, 2017
I suppose you're right in a sense, but in the older games the main characteristic for each character was usually a lot more abstract imo. I think there's a pretty big difference between 'shy farm girl' and 'guy who likes sweets and mentions it in almost every support he has', for example. I feel like the older games have less gimmicky personality traits that lend themselves to more interesting supports, while in Awakening and Fates the 'personality traits' are often played as gags.

Obviously there are exceptions in each game, but I'm struck by this every time I play through Awakening and Fates (going through Conquest again atm).
I don't really agree that older characters were more abstract in their quirks. I would say 'guy who likes sweets' isn't that far off from 'girl who eats a lot' and if you compare the two in regards to characterization Gaius would probably fare better than Ilyana would. I would agree that more recent supports tend to use comedy or gags more often, but this is more of a strength than a weakness because comedy helps the players like and relate to the characters more, which is the purpose of supports anyway. Besides, older FE games used gags in their supports often enough and there are still many supports in recent FE games that don't use gags.

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan

I love both games, i consider Fire Emblem Path of Radiance as good or even better. it is more entertaining because the gameplay is more simple, it is not very much about classes and leveling but more about using units/maps to your favor, more like a chess game. Path of Radiance wasn't a big seller and the GameCube as a system wasn't very successful so a lot of people didn't play the game, but its up there with the very best.

The story is very smartly written. Fire Emblem as a series usually feels more idealistic than Matsuno's stories but Path of Radiance did a fantastic job to show the two sides of an argument using characters with different and clashing view points like Titania and Soren from the Greil mercenaries. it is a story about politics, nations, war, racism, and courage. like FFT, its full of great and touching moments. it is still a little more idealistic than FFT.

Actually, Hironobu Sakagutchi was always a fan for the Fire Emblem series and it was the main reason why Square wanted to make a FFT game.

Another fantastic game that you may like from the series is Fire Emblem Echoes, it is more similar in its gameplay to FFT than FE games that came before. it also did go back to more grounded storytelling after Awakening and Fates.

It looks like Three Houses will be fantastic.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I love both games, i consider Fire Emblem Path of Radiance as good or even better. it is more entertaining because the gameplay is more simple, it is not very much about classes and leveling but more about using units/maps to your favor, more like a chess game. Path of Radiance wasn't a big seller and the GameCube as a system wasn't very successful so a lot of people didn't play the game, but its up there with the very best.

The story is very smartly written. Fire Emblem as a series usually feels more idealistic than Matsuno's stories but Path of Radiance did a fantastic job to show the two sides of an argument using characters with different and clashing view points like Titania and Soren from the Greil mercenaries. it is a story about politics, nations, war, racism, and courage. like FFT, its full of great and touching moments. it is still a little more idealistic than FFT.

Actually, Hironobu Sakagutchi was always a fan for the Fire Emblem series and it was the main reason why Square wanted to make a FFT game.

Another fantastic game that you may like from the series is Fire Emblem Echoes, it is more similar in its gameplay to FFT than FE games that came before. it also did go back to more grounded storytelling after Awakening and Fates.

It looks like Three Houses will be fantastic.
Gooch's love of SRPGs has remained constant, and he did eventually try to make his own on DS (Archaic Sealed Heat). It was unfortunately the worst game he ever made :( That said, Terra Battle kind of made up for it, since the systems in that are actually pretty great.

51Lm1%2BOKEvL._SX342_.jpg

Faiyaz

Nov 30, 2017
Bangladesh

Yep, people with good tastes really think that this game has a simple, but excellently told story.

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan
Gooch's love of SRPGs has remained constant, and he did eventually try to make his own on DS (Archaic Sealed Heat). It was unfortunately the worst game he ever made :( That said, Terra Battle kind of made up for it, since the systems in that are actually pretty great.

51Lm1%2BOKEvL._SX342_.jpg

Even The Last Story reminded me of SRPG, the resources were limited so he tried to make every encounter in the game strategic and unique, and the execution was wonderful.

Status
Not open for further replies.