cooldawn

Oct 28, 2017
Even worse. This is going to be people's introduction to Silent Hill 2 and what most people play moving forward.
Yep. I would hate a bad Bloober Team remake to leave a nasty legacy in the minds of people playing these games for the first time. People need to understand how powerful and influential this franchise was.

I get that but I'd rather a remake be done by someone, in turn introducing new fans and excitement to franchise, rather than nothing be done for the ip at all.

Most people who haven't already played it aren't going to go and pick up a $500 copy on eBay and play on ps2, or deal with the multi step headache that is sourcing a copy on pc that is likely pirated then modding said copy to make it playable, or even setting up ps2 emulation again sourcing files from around the internet and using a likely dubiously procured iso of the game.

At least this way with a remake (good or bad) people can pay and play in a few minutes. Enjoy the game for version they get and then say hey I enjoyed that let me get more, then doing all of the above or showing Konami hey we want new stuff now. Or saying hey this sucked, then going and doing all of the above or forgetting about an already dead ip.
I agree this games needs to be out there and made relevant for modern hardware. It needs to be recreation of the original game, not a reboot of the game and franchise. These are two entirely different things.

Darkknight2149

Ban made permanent due to harassment of staff
Banned
May 27, 2020
I get that but I'd rather a remake be done by someone, in turn introducing new fans and excitement to franchise, rather than nothing be done for the ip at all.

Most people who haven't already played it aren't going to go and pick up a $500 copy on eBay and play on ps2, or deal with the multi step headache that is sourcing a copy on pc that is likely pirated then modding said copy to make it playable, or even setting up ps2 emulation again sourcing files from around the internet and using a likely dubiously procured iso of the game.

At least this way with a remake (good or bad) people can pay and play in a few minutes. Enjoy the game for version they get and then say hey I enjoyed that let me get more, then doing all of the above or showing Konami hey we want new stuff now. Or saying hey this sucked, then going and doing all of the above or forgetting about an already dead ip.
I don't think this argument works for Silent Hill, honestly. Most gamers and studios are stuck in this blockbuster entertainment "digital toy" mentality, but Silent Hill 2 is a nuanced creator-driven work of art with mature themes, an abstract narrative, symbolism, and character study. It's not a Capcom-style horror game with fog. The story, art direction, creature design, sound design, and music are basically untouchable.

Bloober remaking Silent Hill 2 is the video game equivalent of Paul W.S. Anderson remaking 2001: A Space Odyssey and that's not even an exaggeration. If this were a faithful remake or a full reimagining that stands on its own (a la Siren: Blood Curse, Silent Hill: Shattered Memories, and Suspiria), it would have a chance. However, they're going the Resident Evil 2 route and adding endings while changing the gameplay and narrative, which is nothing short of hubris.

When even minor design details and scissors hanging from a table have a deeper symbolic meaning, you're basically fucked. Believe me, no mid-tier developer like Bloober Team wants to be compared to Team Silent.

rather than nothing be done for the ip at all

It's worth pointing out that four separate Silent Hill projects are currently in development, including a main revival from Masahiro Ito (which is probably coming out first), an episodic spin-off from Annapurna Interactive, and another film adaptation from Christophe Gans. It won't be a dead series for long. The resources being poured into the remake could also be better spent on a proper remaster collection, or a faithful remake of the first game from a more competent developer.

The fate of the series doesn't rest on Bloober Team taking a dump on Silent Hill 2. Although personally, I would prefer nothing over a failed remake of a masterpiece that isn't available in 2022, which defines it moving forward and tarnishes its legacy by creating a bunch of false ideas about Silent Hill 2 in the minds of newcomers and modern gamers.

Commodore64

Oct 25, 2017
NQjgc89.gif

Cajun

Oct 28, 2017
It's kinda crazy to think Bloober, a studio that openly displays its love for Team Silent and the original games, is getting dogpiled like this for being involved in the series. I guess it was loosely the same for Tomm Hulett, but as far I remember, people at least waited until he actually announced stuff to start attacking him.

That being said, I don't want or need this game. Silent Hill 2 is more than the sum of its parts, and its parts are countless aspects of direction and design that implicitly tell a story still wholly unique in gaming nearly 20 years on. It would be really cool if the first title of Bloober's that I enjoy is a remake of my favorite game of all time, so I wish them the best of luck to capture some lightning in a bottle here, but I'm not too hopeful.

Darkknight2149

Banned
May 27, 2020
It's kinda crazy to think Bloober, a studio that openly displays its love for Team Silent and the original games, is getting dogpiled like this for being involved in the series. I guess it was loosely the same for Tomm Hulett, but as far I remember, people at least waited until he actually announced stuff to start attacking him.
Plagiarising something and being a fan of it doesn't mean you're automatically qualified to remake a masterpiece or be officially involved with it. Developing games, especially someone else's work, is a job and creative undertaking, not a trophy.

A lot of video game developers that are huge Batman fans wouldn't be a good pick for Batman: Arkham 4.

Lucini

Oct 27, 2017
It would be really cool if the first title of Bloober's that I enjoy is a remake of my favorite game of all time, so I wish them the best of luck to capture some lightning in a bottle here, but I'm not too hopeful.

This pretty much sums up my posture on this. Do I think SH2 needs a remake? No. Do I want it to be good since it's inevitable? Yes. Will it reach the same planet as the original? Not a chance.

Booker.DeWitt

Oct 25, 2017
guys, I have been in a gaming hiatus for months due to work issues.

sorry for the stupid questions:
1. is SH 2 remake really confirmed?? or just rumors?
2. Any confirmation about another SH titles (remake or new original)?

Darkknight2149

Banned
May 27, 2020
guys, I have been in a gaming hiatus for months due to work issues.

sorry for the stupid questions:
1. is SH 2 remake really confirmed?? or just rumors?
2. Any confirmation about another SH titles (remake or new original)?
All but confirmed, but no official announcements.

damn it, I need a SH2 remake!
This wouldn't be a faithful remake, but a remake from Bloober Team that changes the story, gameplay, puzzles, and endings, which is a horrible idea honestly.

OP
OP
Angie

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
Sorry for the bump, but probably not worth creating a thread for a leaked image.
It could be fake. But this pic been circulating on discord.

lzhc72wt32rb1.jpg

Seems it originated on the Snitch discord

SanTheSly

The San Symphony Project
Sep 2, 2019
United Kingdom
The hell happened to this game? I thought for sure it would show up at a State of Play or a PlayStation Showcase at some point this year.

Nothing from Gamescom or TGS (even though thar would have been unlikely) either.

Kratos2098

Banned
Feb 18, 2022
Yeah can't believe we're going all of 2023 without any sort of update on this or Stellar Blade both of which were supposed to launch this year. At least come out and say something

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
Both SIE & Konami probably agree to show it later, either at the rest of 2023 or 2024, in SoP or another Showcase. 🤷

I'm fine with it as long the update would be substantial; release date/gameplay/contents/etc.

Patitoloco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sorry for the bump, but probably not worth creating a thread for a leaked image.

lzhc72wt32rb1.jpg

I feel like this image has been around for a while now, I think I already saw it?

Maybe I mistook it for something else. At any case, I can't wait to see more about this!

Lucini

Oct 27, 2017

lzhc72wt32rb1.jpg

That hair is definitely RE engine hair. It looks like Leon from RE4 Remake's hair. Leon S Sunderland

Mau

Oct 25, 2017
It's weird because Bloober hinted at the game being pretty much done?

Maybe Konami/Sony are waiting for the right time? I wonder if there will be another SH transmission this year?

JayVegas702

Oct 27, 2017
I feel Konami took a look at what was being done with this title and was simply like "No! We can't release it like this" and that's why we haven't heard anything more on this. Blooper is known for creating 7/10 games and Konami needs this to be a 9/10 game at the very least to set the standard for any future remakes of their franchises. I really want this remake to be awesome and be Konami's "Resident Evil 2 Remake."

Magneto

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel Konami took a look at what was being done with this title and was simply like "No! We can't release it like this" and that's why we haven't heard anything more on this. Blooper is known for creating 7/10 games and Konami needs this to be a 9/10 game at the very least to set the standard for any future remakes of their franchises. I really want this remake to be awesome and be Konami's "Resident Evil 2 Remake."
Lol. Are we talking about the same Konami that is about to release the MGS collection ?

I have nothing against Blooper, but if you expect a RE2 Remake from them, you're in for a rude awakening.

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
It's weird because Bloober hinted at the game being pretty much done?

Maybe Konami/Sony are waiting for the right time? I wonder if there will be another SH transmission this year?
I wouldn't be surprised if we got a new transmission in October with a release date.

Lol. Are we talking about the same Konami that is about to release the MGS collection ?
I would posit that Silent Hill occupies a different mind space within the company. There's no bad blood around SH the way there is with Kojima. Konami is getting back into games in a way we haven't seen in years and the SH franchise seems to be their primary push point to do so.

Konami was also involved with the Cowabunga Collection and that was a fantastically put together package.