• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BaconHat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
On one hand i'm happy they are not trying to do robotnik look directly in live-action since it would look way too silly, especially with an slim actor.

On the other hand... this movie is making 100% sure to have nothing that looks even remotely close to anything Sonic related, huh?

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Casting like this gives me a faint hope that this will be a lowkey pretty good movie. Like, let's be honest, a "faithful" Sonic adaptation would be guaranteed trash on the big screen. By doing something different with it they've given themselves room to do something interesting.
It's entirely possible for them to do something interesting and different that defies expectations, drawing from the source material to make something even greater.

But I highly doubt that "Sonic buddy cop movie in the real world starring normal human beings" is the way to achieve that.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
It's going to be another decade before a director or producer starts to give a shit about video game movies. Just like it took nolan to make comic book movies cool again.

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
So...they got rid of:

1. Him being fat
2. Having red'ish brown hair
3. The glasses

Basically took a unique/iconic looking character and made him look like a generic old man.

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
It's entirely possible for them to do something interesting and different that defies expectations, drawing from the source material to make something even greater.

But I highly doubt that "Sonic buddy cop movie in the real world starring normal human beings" is the way to achieve that.
yeah for real

this is someone choosing the worst possible option

Geode

Keeper of the White Materia
Oct 27, 2017
Is the man with the beard Jim Carrey or the sheriff?

A_Jazzy_Book

Oct 27, 2017
you guys never even mentioned Sonic is Ben Schwartz

Ben_Schwartz.jpg
The only thing I've agreed with regarding the decision making for this film. Hearing his voice work, he will do just fine as Sonic.

Otherwise I await the memes.

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
I'm hoping the first picture of a Chao is the Sonic equivalent of this

latest
If they were going to go batshit crazy, I would've hoped they went this route in general. Just balls out offbeat and bizarre. Sadly, I doubt they will given how grounded and generic everything looks so far. Give me some strange-looking locations and bizarre technology. The Sonic the Hedgehog concept mixed with the offbeat style of something like Life of the Edge = Sonic the Hedgehog movie in the vein of the 90s Super Mario Bros movie. Meh, that stuff ain't en vogue anymore. That was mainly 80s, at most, early 90s.

Deleted member 3815

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nothing about those shot scream "Yeah this is a movie based on Sonic The Hedgehog."

Just like it took nolan to make comic book movies cool again.

As much as I like the Dark Knight, I say eh not really as the Nolan movies refused to embrace the fact that it was a superheroes heroes movies based on a comic book. If anything they seemed to be ashamed of it.

I say that it was the Avengers that did it, by proudly going "Yeah we're a super heroes movie based on a comic book and we're fucking proud of it."

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
The only way I can see that this movie could be legitimately good is if they embraced the buddy cop thing and made this some sort of cartoon-meets-human version of Rush Hour.

Baron Von Beans

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I had *no* idea Jim Carrey was going to be Robotnik.

My interest level in this movie just went from 0-100, real fast.

Gotta go fast

Last edited:

Nostremitus

Nov 15, 2017
Alabama
So, is this set in the "Once Upon a Time" universe?

Like, they were all pulled out of Sega into the real world and took on different lives?

Mar 23, 2018
I'm 75% sure that's not Jim Carrey. The facial structure just doesn't look like him. I know he's been known to have heavy makeup but that just looks like James Marsden with an old man. I think that twitter account is wrong.

Oct 26, 2017
"So let's take away every distinguishable feature from Robotnik and make him an old man."

This is shaping up to be a beautiful trainwreck.

SieteBlanco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rumored story leak:

>Sonic (Schwartz) is a tearaway teenage rebel hedgehog living in the forest near Green Hills, Montana. He was mutated by experiments by Doctor Robotnik (Carrey), along with several other animals, who escaped years ago and now live in peace. Tails and Knuckles aren't mentioned in the script, but it can be inferred they're around.
>Doctor Robotnik's experiments centered around ancient golden Incan rings, which the animals took with them when they escaped.
>Sonic is restless and wants to see the world. He's caught speeding in Green Hills town and arrested by the sheriff, Tom (Marsden). He quickly becomes a viral sensation online, and draws the attention of Dr. Robotnik, who comes to Green Hills to get back the rings.
>Despite Tom trying to protect Sonic, he's captured by Robotnik and taken to his government lab. Tom is able to break inside with the help of town locals who have befriended Sonic, and together they free him.
>A last stand takes place in Green Hills as Robotnik launches an assault with gadgets and robots he's created, but is foiled by traps laid by the townsfolk and Sonic.
>Robotnik is blown up, survives, and is then arrested for his illegal experiments becoming public. Sonic is hailed as a hero, but rather than wanting to see the world, he decides he wants to stay and protect his home, Green Hills.
>Ends with him running down a highway.

Theodran

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
We're getting a live action Sonic the Hedgehog movie with Jim Carrey as Dr. Eggman. We're also getting a Detective Pikachu with Ryan Reynolds providing the voice of Pikachu.

We live in an amazing timeline.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
What's also weird is that we actually have an idea for what a real life Robotnik would look like.

theodore-roosevelt-lachi65.jpg

Oct 31, 2017
This is gonna be a "have a smoke and enjoy the next 90 minutes of trainwreck" kind of movie. Eventually I'll watch it so many times for an easy laugh that I'll grow endeared to it and within a few years I'll be defending it non-ironically on Era. It's a dark path for me.