• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Garfield

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 31, 2018
Stuff like this makes you lose faith in humanity

The poll of more than 2,000 people was carried out by Opinion Matters for the Holocaust Memorial Day Trust (HMDT).

Almost two-thirds of respondents could not say how many Jews were murdered or "grossly" under-estimated the number.

The HMDT's chief executive Olivia Marks-Woldman said: "Such widespread ignorance and even denial is shocking.

"Without a basic understanding of this recent history, we are in danger of failing to learn where a lack of respect for difference and hostility to others can ultimately lead."

She added that the rise in reported hate crime in the UK and the risk of genocide in ongoing international conflicts meant "we cannot be complacent".

Karen Pollock, chief executive of the Holocaust Educational Trust, said: "One person questioning the truth of the Holocaust is one too many.

More here

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-47015184

AdamE

3D Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Japan
I'm not surprised. A quarter of the population believe the moon landings were fake.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That is fucking disgusting. And gives me another reason to despise this country.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They asked only two thousand people in a country of tens of millions. That's not much of a sample size, though even 1200 of them had no idea how many Jews were killed in the Holocaust is shocking.

DonMigs85

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Holocaust deniers, Flat Earthers, Anti-vaxxers, Trump supporters... Basically unchanged from the dumb illiterate masses of the dark ages

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
They asked only two thousand people in a country of tens of millions. That's not much of a sample size, though even 1200 of them had no idea how many Jews were killed in the Holocaust is shocking.
A sample size that large is more than enough believe it or not. Naturally though it also needs to be a mixed sample, not just 1200 people that are under 21 or something daft.

Deleted member 888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Almost two-thirds of respondents could not say how many Jews were murdered or "grossly" under-estimated the number.

While sad to hear, that's clearly more about education than malice. Could not say does not mean exaggerated as a negative (to downplay). Underestimating is often guessing which means not knowing.

The 5% who denied it happening while shocking is roughly a margin for assholes you'd expect. Rarely does any poll go to 100%, sadly, even with serious/historical questions.

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
While sad to hear, that's clearly more about education than malice. Could not say does not mean exaggerated as a negative (to downplay). Underestimating is often guessing which means not knowing.

The 5% who denied it happening while shocking is roughly a margin for assholes you'd expect. Rarely does any poll go to 100%, sadly, even with serious questions.
You could ask people who the PM was and you still wouldn't get 100%

Moose the Mooche

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
Holocaust deniers, Flat Earthers, Anti-vaxxers, Trump supporters... Basically unchanged from the dumb illiterate masses of the dark ages

You forgot Brexiters..

Yeah this is really the worst. WW2 is not that long ago. We have survivors, documents, remnents of camps whom you can visit, photos, films and whatnot so people can see that this all happened.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
Eh, atleast 10% of any population sample is going to be severely limited in their mental faculties. A lot of people are not very intelligent at all. The numbers aren't shocking at all.

deejay

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They should watch some WWII documentaries and then come back. But ignorance is bliss I guess.

Deleted member 862

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
in this day and age 5% doesn't even seem that bad with the rabbit holes the internet provides.

people underestimating the number is a bigger issue because it demonstrates that while people know it happened they don't really know the scale of it.

Menchi

Oct 28, 2017
UK
Isn't 5% pretty much in the realm of normal for being outside the standard? There isn't much that goes 100%. I'd venture a guess, that across the world, that's actually a pretty good comparison to other countries belief, and in fact, knowledge of it.

Did they get a racial & religious make up of the sample?

Carl2291

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's not at all surprising considering how completely fucking idiotic a large portion of this country tends to be.

Nov 28, 2017
Sweden
https://www.surveysystem.com/sscalc.htm

Confidence level: 95%
Sample size: 2000
Population: 66000000
Percentage: 5%

Resulting confidence interval: 0.96
This means the true answer is 95% likely to be between 4.04% and 5.96%.

I admit I didn't remember the number for Jews murdered in the holocaust either. My guess was 10 million, which is off by 4 million.

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
I was confident that it was 6 million Jews, but I did check.

Lots of others too, I think the total was something like 18m.

Deleted member 888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
https://www.surveysystem.com/sscalc.htm

Confidence level: 95%
Sample size: 2000
Population: 66000000
Percentage: 5%

Resulting confidence interval: 0.96
This means the true answer is 95% likely to be between 4.04% and 5.96%.

I admit I didn't remember the number for Jews murdered in the holocaust either. My guess was 10 million, which is off by 4 million.

5aHkasU.png

Depending on how knowledgeable you are on the numbers it's not unsurprising some people underestimate/overestimate (without malice). The overall number is higher than just the Jewish people killed and the individual breakdown contains many different numbers.

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
In a world where people think the Earth is flat and chocolate milk comes from brown cows, this does not surprise me.

Deleted member 7051

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's actually a perfectly good sample size as long as they were selected properly. How does someone always manage to make this sort of comment?

Maybe if you want to know how many people in the UK don't believe the Holocaust happened, you should ask us all rather than ask a handful of people you grabbed off the street and assume any of them speak for me.

Sorry but I refuse to believe that just because one hundred people out of the two thousand they surveyed was a Holocaust denier, we should throw three and a half million British people under the bus and assume they deny it happened too - because there's no fucking way that many British people can say it didn't happen when we were all taught about the Holocaust in school.

smurfx

Oct 25, 2017
5 percent doesn't seem so bad. I expect just about any conspiracy theory to get that many people.

Deleted member 35598

Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Spain
5% ? To be honest, I thought it would be even worse with all the crazy shit people believe on the Internet.

I cannot comprehend some prople would not believe or think it's exaggerated when this is one of the most documented thing ever, with tons of evidences. But people sometimes prefer to simply ignore the facts. And that's a problem.

I had a colleague at work - very well educated ( Master in a big business school ) who was hard line catholic ( not sure how to put it ) and she refused to believe the crimes committed by the Church through Inquisition. She said it was just lies. I told her what about the public apologies if the Vatican for those crimes then. She would still not believe it...

So I'm afraid those 5% would still ignore the facts even presented with the evidences. That's the saddest part...

The other things is I'm sure lots of people do not know jews were not just exterminated in concentration camps but also by firing squad, the "Holocaust by bullet". And in the concentration camps alonside the 6 million jews there were Communists, homosexuals, roms, disabled, Jehovah's witnesses, etc. So many people do not know - or choose to ignore - the scale of nazi atrocities.

Last edited:

Deleted member 888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe if you want to know how many people in the UK don't believe the Holocaust happened, you should ask us all rather than ask a handful of people you grabbed off the street and assume any of them speak for me.

Sorry but I refuse to believe that just because one hundred people out of the two thousand they surveyed was a Holocaust denier, we should throw three and a half million British people under the bus and assume they deny it happened too - because there's no fucking way that many British people can say it didn't happen when we were all taught about the Holocaust in school.

What? You do understand how polling works?

The comment you quoted is 100% right. A sample size of 2000 is good as long as it's picked without bias and correctly.

How does polling work?

Sampling public opinion, George Gallup once said, is like sampling soup: One spoonful can reflect the taste of the whole pot, if the soup is well-stirred. In other words, it's all about finding a sample that reflects the larger population. Polling is based on the laws of probability. According to probability theory, it's not necessary to sample the opinions of all 300 million Americans; a much smaller sample can reflect the larger population—if that sample is truly representative. So in surveying the opinions of the whole country, pollsters have to sample a proportional percentage of men and women; Republicans, Democrats, and independents; rural and urban residents; and so on. That sample group, moreover, has to reach a certain size threshold to be statistically accurate. For national polls, most pollsters use a sample of 1,500 as a rule of thumb. A sample that size will accurately reflect the whole within about 3 percentage points, a variance that statisticians call the margin of error.

How do pollsters take their samples?

These days, most national polls are conducted by telephone. Poll workers call randomly generated phone numbers, then conduct 15- to 20-minute interviews with those who respond. Most polls try to compile about 1,500 responses, since smaller samples have a larger margin of error and larger ones aren't significantly more accurate. Pollsters then compare the pool of respondents to the broader population in terms of age, race, gender, and other characteristics. If the match isn't perfect—it rarely is—pollsters use statistical techniques to "weight" some responses more heavily than others. But there are pitfalls. Results can be distorted by the wording of questions, the order they're asked, even the interviewer's tone of voice. That's why some polling experts argue that news stories on polls should routinely include the full questionnaire, so people can judge whether the questions are biased. In the face of such hazards, says MIT political science professor Stephen Ansolabehere, "I'm perpetually surprised that results aren't wrong more often."

How often are they wrong?

Rarely. In every presidential election since 1980, with the exception of the 2000 Bush-Gore race, national polls have correctly predicted the winner, usually within a couple of points of the eventual tally. But that's not to say that polls are always understood by the public. People tend to brush off the margin of error, but it's crucial. If candidate A is leading candidate B by 55–45, with the margin of error of plus or minus 5 percentage points, the two could actually be tied, or candidate A could be leading 60–40. It's also important to remember that polls provide a snapshot of how voters feel at the moment, not necessarily how they'll vote on Election Day.

You're obviously not in the 5% so I don't know why you're taking it personally?

Snack12367

Oct 28, 2017
5aHkasU.png

Depending on how knowledgeable you are on the numbers it's not unsurprising some people underestimate/overestimate (without malice). The overall number is higher than just the Jewish people killed and the individual breakdown contains many different numbers.

That's what I was thinking. The 1/12 is the number I'm more worried about. It's also not like History classes go into the numbers. When I was at school I was told the overall amount of deaths and had a few lessons on the topic of why the jews were targeted. I don't think the exact number came up.

Nov 28, 2017
Sweden
Those numbers pretty good.
Your timing with this post couldn't be any worse.

Asking everyone is impossible. It would be impossible to do any form of science with those requirements. That's why we have statistics. Because once you get thousands of samples you actually can generalize about large populations. That is of course assuming that the samples are properly randomly selected, which is the main difficulty when doing polling.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
An important aspect to this is that these people are not oblibious to the truth. They went to school, they likely saw Holocaust-themed movies or documentaries. They know what is the timeline of events.

These kind of people intentionally choose to believe in mindless conspiracy theories like the non-existence of Holocaust, chemtrails or whatever the fuck. That's the scary part: this percentage of people can see the stats and facts but are unable to process them because they contradict their horrible views.

Scary stuff.

Feb 13, 2018
Japan
I'm sure the actual number is a little bigger thanks in no small part to the internet. Places like 4chan are swarming with holocaust deniers and people posting infographics about the evil Jewish menace.

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017

You actually really can.

As has been said, provided the poll was done correctly its actually very accurate. polling another 2000 would reveal results that are very very close.

Deleted member 7051

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What? You do understand how polling works?

The comment you quoted is 100% right. A sample size of 2000 is good as long as it's picked without bias and correctly.

You're obviously not in the 5% so I don't know why you're taking it personally?

It's painting three and a half million faceless Brits with an opinion that you cannot actually say they definitively have. Can you point out the millions of Holocaust deniers in my country? If we extrapolate that survey's data, nearly four thousand people in my town alone don't believe the Holocaust happened. Want to point out who?

It's insulting and inaccurate yet people are parading it around as if there's actually three and a half million British people no different to me who believe the Holocaust never happened.

What's next, a hundred people out of two thousand say they don't believe the moon exists and so we just assume nearly four hundred million people across the planet share their opinion?

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland

Deleted member 888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's painting three and a half million faceless Brits with an opinion that you cannot actually say they definitively have. Can you point out the millions of Holocaust deniers in my country? If we extrapolate that survey's data, nearly four thousand people in my town alone don't believe the Holocaust happened. Want to point out who?

It's insulting and inaccurate yet people are parading it around as if there's actually three and a half million British people no different to me who believe the Holocaust never happened.

What's next, a hundred people out of two thousand say they don't believe the moon exists and so we just assume nearly four hundred million people across the planet share their opinion?

That 5% of the British public are different than you, they believe the Holocaust is some sort of hoax/exaggeration. Why are you so shocked in a country of this size there are assholes/conspiracy theorists? Not everyone is you. That seems to be the ridiculous assumption YOU are making. You're taking yourself, ONE person, and extrapolating that everyone around you must think as you do? Do you not see the irony in that? Calling out a properly established and carried out poll with a sample size of 2000 inaccurate, yet using yourself as a means to talk about people in your town/across the globe.

You're acting incredibly weird over this, I again encourage you to go and clue yourself up on how polling works and why it is often very accurate (minus the normal margin of error).

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017

Do you accept that 2+2 = 4?

Because that's as stonewalled as this. That's how it works. Its been proven. Crazy though it may be.