• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

chicken_pasta

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
With FM the real life season isn't important. I know about a guy whose career is simulating year 2050 I think.

Shibata100

Oct 29, 2017
He has a point, it's pretty late to be bringing out the '18 version (for £29.99 at least lol). I'll definitely get it next season though.

Maybe it's a test for next season. Although late in the real season its its not like the next one is dropping any time soon.

Sure FM doesn't get released till October.

Pand

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
No online?

I'm not 100% familiar with the series, but isn't that the main selling point?

Not really, the main point is simulating offline seasons. I've personally never touched the online part but since the ratio of preparing for matches and actually playing matches is heavily skewed towards the former I imagine it gets a bit tedious.

Still, a shame it's not in for the folks who want it. Is it in any of other Touch versions?

kingbility

Oct 27, 2017
Hahaha but you know it's an hybrid so you could just put the thing on the TV during the matches. Only your controller would get broken this way lol.
I'll be really needing the joy-con straps

No online?

I'm not 100% familiar with the series, but isn't that the main selling point?
Not really, tbh. People play online and do tournaments, etc but the real MEAT is the offline, at least for the pc version. But I think shorter term saves and online tournaments/fantasy draft games would fit better the Switch/FMTouch than, say, do a 30 years youth only challenge or a long journeyman career.

---------------
Here's a video of DrBenjy playing it. It looks like it's close the PC version? I have the FMT on PC but I never played.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Idtwk97jV94

Bazry

Oct 30, 2017
Have justified the £29.99 spend with a £25 voucher from CDKeys for £23.55 plus 90p in Gold Coins in my account as well as getting £1.50 back

So in my head that works out at £26.14

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
Football Manager is the kind of game I could play for months (if not years) with a single Career, so the concept of waiting for a new real season to start playing is a bit lost on me.

Oct 27, 2017
Football Manager is the kind of game I could play for months (if not years) with a single Career, so the concept of waiting for a new real season to start playing is a bit lost on me.

Same, don't understand the fuss earlier in the thread about that.

The teams will be updated as of January anyway so they'll be up to date, and the entire game world starts changing the minute you boot into a game anyway. I'm not going to be worrying about my teams real life shit house season while playing this regardless.

Coxy

Oct 28, 2017

The teams will be updated as of January anyway so they'll be up to date, and the entire game world starts changing the minute you boot into a game anyway. I'm not going to be worrying about my teams real life shit house season while playing this regardless.
Because the season has already (mostly) taken place already. So there's a real life scenario which has gone past what I can do in the game. I get excited about playing these sorts of games at the beginning of a season - not the end. By the end I don't get the same excitement.

Shibata100

Oct 29, 2017

I think you are both kinda right to be honest. Guess the question you need to ask yourself is if you had the chance to buy this 7 months ago would you stop playing once the real life season ends. If no then buying it now shouldn't really be an issue

Deleted member 18502

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Do UK PayPal eshop codes work for the Switch? Their website does not list the Switch, but list 3DS, WiiU, etc.

Stefarno

I ... survived Sedona
Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully it is much better than the Vita version of 2014 - that was horrible to play.

No chance I'm picking it up so late in the season (and in the middle of a save on the PC version) but I might get 2019 if it launches alongside the PC version.

Romez

Nov 11, 2017
No idea why this is £30 when the iPad version is £20 and is probably going to be the better experience.

Coríu

Feb 27, 2018
Asturies
I was hugely excited for this even despite the steep price, but then I remembered how FM has had a problem getting official licenses for the past few years. When you follow the real competitions somewhat closely, it's a pretty jarring prospect to play a version with generic/fake team names and logos. It takes a minute to get a fanmade fix for that on PC, but it'll be impossible on the Switch. Ah, damn. :( I'm pretty sure that quite a few people are in for an unpleasant surprise with this.

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Anyone already tried it, how is it running?

Redditor was like:

For what it's worth, I did just purchase this game and my experience was quite poor. The touch interface didn't feel very smooth at all and often took several attempts to select something and have it register. The game also crashed within 10 minutes of launching.

I'm currently wrestling with Nintendo for a refund, though they do like to ignore the law so they're being a bit difficult.

Castia

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I love Football Manager (actually playing it right now on PC) but £30 is a little steep for the touch version. The game was released last October and the season is virtually over, if it was £20 I would have been in.

The game usually goes on sale fairly often if it drops on Switch ill pick it up.

Been playing the series since around 1999 or so (owned every game since) which is fecking scary

Castia

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Will they patch the game in September with squad updates or are they going to sell another version?

Nah thats next years game. They do the winter transfer window for free but the summers changes will be the big selling point for FM 2019.

It usually releases in October/November on a yearly basis so if you enjoy the game and haven't played 2018 youll still get plenty of hours from it, its likely 7 months until the new release.

cbrotherson

Freelance Games & Comic Book Writer
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Birmingham
Ouch. I got burned bad with Last day of June and it's framerate. Will have to wait and see with this.

To be fair, his/her experience sounds pretty much the same as my experiences with FM on any touch device. So far, I'm having a decent time with the Switch version. The mixture of touch and button controls is actually quite nice to use.

Epilexia

Jan 27, 2018
To be fair, his/her experience sounds pretty much the same as my experiences with FM on any touch device. So far, I'm having a decent time with the Switch version. The mixture of touch and button controls is actually quite nice to use.

Oh, my man! You are the person who I was expecting to see in this thread to read his impressions :)

I will buy the game this month, nice to read that is a good version of the game.

cbrotherson

Freelance Games & Comic Book Writer
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Birmingham
Oh, my man! You are the person who I was expecting to see in this thread to read his impressions :)

I will buy the game this month, nice to read that is a good version of the game.

Hey dude!

I was wavering on buying it given it's a bit pricey but thought 'screw it' as I really liked the other versions, had a lot of e-credit that i got cheaply from offers (and some gold coins) and wanted to support the dev for doing something that, up until a few weeks ago, was just a dream.

I'm not hugely far in so far, but I'm enjoying it. Having table top mode with split joycons is actually a really cool way to play as the mouse cursor is responsive and there are enough buttons to act as shortcuts. Currently playing while I have a late dinner and check on my team (Villa).

I will say that between this and Don't Starve, the battery is taking quite a hit, though. An hour of combined gameplay on both has me from 100% to 86%, Wi-Fi off. Don't Starve is probably the bigger hog, but we'll see how FM does once it really gets going.

But so far, a positive experience.

mojo2

Oct 26, 2017
Finland
Another redditor:

"Been playing this the last couple of hours. Takes a little getting used to with the controls, but after 30mins it's perfectly fine. Really impressed with the performance, sometimes in the match engine, the cursor can be a little laggy when you first move it.

Ideal game I wanted for switch to play in short bursts!"

Seems to be okay based on this and cbrotherson

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
seasons are nowhere as important for football as they are for american sports. specially because it is always mid-season somewhere in the world

this is huge, HUGE

No online and charging more for the switch version? Comon devs!

while i dont get charging more, no online really isn't a big deal at all.FM is best enjoyed alone, while your wife sleeps, like its the dirtiest thing in the world but youre only starting at spreadsheets all night

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
Thinking of buying this at the end of the month, is the game easy to learn for beginners like me?

Well, you'll need to devote some time to learn about the inner mechanics of it, specially if you're not that savvy on the football world as a whole. The Touch version simplifies a lot of the more troublesome stuff though. Also, difficulty is pretty much defined by yourself when you pick a team to manage - trying to get Forest Green to the premier league is going to be harder than just taking over Man City and buying anyone you want, for instance.