• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
Seen the announcement as I was about to leave my house on the way to the airport, managed to buy it and download it on the way , so I had a flight full with Football Manager. It took a bit to get used with the controls, but once I got it , the combination of shortcut buttons and touch screen works actually really really well. Was still trying to get Stevenage's first win of the season after taking over them while they were in the last place with 0 points) when the plane landed. The time flew faster than the plane. Didn't notice anything strange so far , the game engine seemed pretty smooth too.

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
How do you access some Menu's in the game with the touchscreen?

Or even save the game without quitting it.

Kovacs

Oct 27, 2017
That price seems to be more than a little on the high side when the iOS version for iPads is £19.99.

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
The easiest way to access the menu is using RB and LB. You can access some menus via long press on touch screen.

You can save from the menu that appear when you press +.

O...my screen on + was scrolled down. Thanks.

Also, got Full English, Irish and Holland Leagues...15 seconds loading and 15 seconds saving...nice!

Also, in-game play time counter goes up while in sleep mode like Xenoblade 2 it seems.

Epilexia

Jan 27, 2018
O...my screen on + was scrolled down. Thanks.

Also, got Full English, Irish and Holland Leagues...15 seconds loading and 15 seconds saving...nice!

Also, in-game play time counter goes up while in sleep mode like Xenoblade 2 it seems.

Are there different packages with different leagues, depending in which eShop country you purchase the game?

Is the Spanish league included?

If I'm not able to play with the FC Barcelona, this will be disappointing.

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Are there different packages with different leagues, depending in which eShop country you purchase the game?

Is the Spanish league included?

If I'm not able to play with the FC Barcelona, this will be disappointing.

Nah, you can just select 3 Nations I believe to manage within and the others are there, just not manageable I think.

EDIT: Can see their players...but not the leagues of the unselected clubs.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
What features are missing from the regular version of the game? Also, the licensed leagues are the same as FM18 regular, right? Thank you in advance for your answer if you respond. :)

Ohto

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ooh. Was really surprised when I visited Eurogamer today!

So hyped!

And FM has a multiplayer? WAT? (Not this version apparently, but still, wat?)

FM has always been about taking a team that used to be big and make it big again. I like Nottingham, I used to be in a unit called Nottingham Foresters when I played one BF mod with big persistent wars and realisic touch (can't remember the name now, but it was awesome. Only game I've used a mic with).

Oh, and AFC Wimbledon. I really appreciate what they're trying to do, after their team was kind of stolen.

I am a sucker for FA Cup stories where small team from the lower leagues goes and knocks out the big bad sheik owned clubs.

Rare Opiums

Oct 28, 2017
1253pls.jpg

Was hoping for Versus mode...

I play CM/FM all my life but I never try the online feature. What so good about it?

Deleted member 8791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Might pick it up, the price is a bit better on South Africa eShop + I can use some built up points. FM is the kind of game where I can skip out on 2019 which makes my personal value proposition a bit better.

Could someone confirm for me how the swedish league looks? Can I start the 2018 season and have the right teams? Personal big deal for me.

RulkezX

Oct 27, 2017
Already have full fat FM on PC and Touch on my iPad pro so ill skip this but cool they brought it to switch.

Pricing is a tad high given its 6 months after it released in everything else though.

cbrotherson

Freelance Games & Comic Book Writer
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Birmingham
Might pick it up, the price is a bit better on South Africa eShop + I can use some built up points. FM is the kind of game where I can skip out on 2019 which makes my personal value proposition a bit better.

Could someone confirm for me how the swedish league looks? Can I start the 2018 season and have the right teams? Personal big deal for me.

I know the English leagues are up to date (Thank God, because as a Villa supporter I'd struggle - we struggle enough in real life.)
So can you give me an example of something up to date? I'll check for you later.

Deleted member 8791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I know the English leagues are up to date (Thank God, because as a Villa supporter I'd struggle - we struggle enough in real life.)
So can you give me an example of something up to date? I'll check for you later.
It'd be dope if you did! Just check if the team Trelleborg is in top flight if you start in year 2018, if they are it's updated fully. :) (not a Trelleborg fan but just an easy way to see it.)

Tiber

Nov 1, 2017
Not a huge shock when these games have been out on tablets, PSP (it was a long time ago, but the PSP version was really good!) etc for many many years. But the price (as always with the Switch) is absurd

I used to put 1000+ hours (ok plenty of that was it running minimised in the background) into every FM update. in recent years I have played a lot less, but it remains one of the best (and most underappreciated on sites like this) games on the market

ngower

Nov 20, 2017
How far down do British licenses go? Do we still have Conference sides? Also, can anyone confirm that MLS is fully licensed?

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Hmmm I've never played any of these games before despite being footie mad, how 'involved' is it? Is it like I could manage Everton (COYB) for a season, then restart if things go bad and it'll be notably different the second time? Or if I get sacked (can you get sacked?) does that carry on to your next job and affect things long term? Is the management all-encompassing-signings, wages, tactics, scouting and all? My only experience with this sorta thing is in FIFA, and I liked that mode well enough but was annoyed at how similar it all was ultimately- the same teams signing the same players and getting promoted/relegated and so on. Is it the same here or no?

Coríu

Feb 27, 2018
Asturies
Hmmm I've never played any of these games before despite being footie mad, how 'involved' is it? Is it like I could manage Everton (COYB) for a season, then restart if things go bad and it'll be notably different the second time? Or if I get sacked (can you get sacked?) does that carry on to your next job and affect things long term? Is the management all-encompassing-signings, wages, tactics, scouting and all?

The answer to all of those questions is yes. You do build a reputation as a manager that carries on if you get a new job, though of course you can always opt for a fresh start with a new save. You can get sacked and you can also get offers from bigger clubs if you do well enough. It's way more in-depth than FIFA, but it is flexible at the same time, in that you can choose how specific you want to get, and even delegate some of the tasks to the staff (at least in the regular PC version, haven't yet tried FM Touch).

And it won't be like the FIFA situations you describe. FM has an insanely detailed database combined with a powerful simulating engine that allows for a whole variety of situations to happen while still grounded in reality. Last year they even included a few different Brexit scenarios to trigger during your career!

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The answer to all of those questions is yes. You do build a reputation as a manager that carries on if you get a new job, though of course you can always opt for a fresh start with a new save. You can get sacked and you can also get offers from bigger teams if you do well enough. It's way more in-depth than FIFA, but it is flexible at the same time, in that you can choose how specific you want to get, and even delegate some of the tasks to the club staff (at least in the regular PC version, haven't yet tried FM Touch).

And it won't be like the FIFA situations you describe. FM has an insanely detailed database combined with a powerful simulating engine that allows for a whole variety of situations to happen while still grounded in reality.

That sounds very, very good then, thank you for the response. I suspected it was the case considering how popular it is but I just wanted to be sure.

I'll definitely give it a try then.

RulkezX

Oct 27, 2017
What's the fat they added to the main games?

It's exactly the same a full fm minus the training stuff , less backroom staff management , no tedious media stuff.

It's the full ME , transfer and tactics modules . I'm not sure about DB size on Switch. It's limited on iPad consisted to the pc version but all in Touch is a great way to play on the go.

I've probably played more on my pro than pc since I got it. Still my favourite series of all time. I'd be afraid to see how many hours I've spent on these games since 1994 .

Coríu

Feb 27, 2018
Asturies
I think press conferences are a good feature and they add to the realism of the game, but SI really needs to improve on the current system. It's way too limited and repetitive, and I always end up feeling like it's mostly going to get me in trouble. I kind of feel the same about talking to players.

Now training, that's something I really don't care for.

cbrotherson

Freelance Games & Comic Book Writer
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Birmingham
It'd be dope if you did! Just check if the team Trelleborg is in top flight if you start in year 2018, if they are it's updated fully. :) (not a Trelleborg fan but just an easy way to see it.)

Home now and just checked - they weren't actually selectable in the season I had saved, so I booted up a new game specifically in the Swedish league and they were in the First Division rather than the Premier, sorry!

fleante

Oct 28, 2017
Man, this does not run great. It's crashed twice, got stuck in a loading screen once and has kinda shitty touch input at times. Seems alright otherwise.

mojo2

Oct 26, 2017
Finland
How do you guys play it, do you watch your matches from start to finish or just the highlights? I like to watch so I can adapt but it takes alot of time to watch games and could get stale after a while. I think the 3D games are pretty well made, surprised.

Tiber

Nov 1, 2017
I assume the Switch version still has the awful 'create a manager' system from the full game? That system is beyond awful, I have no idea why they haven't binned it, they all look awful