bubaglobalj

Oct 25, 2017
I bought it just to reward them for putting it on the Switch. I don't have a proper computer, and wanted to play Football Manager for many years now. Can't wait to finally dive in!

the_korben

Oct 27, 2017
need more impressions!

some say the menu ui is sluggish?

Seemed sluggish at first, but as soon as you get used to the Joycon controls with the button shortcuts (much better than the touch-only controls) it works rather well. Or I just got used to it ...

In any case, doesn't really affect the usability too much in my opinion.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
I wish since they'd put it on the switch that they had a proper control scheme for handheld instead of basically only using touch. Aside from that it's okay.

But it has a control scheme. It's actually more cumbersome if you're using just touch.

need more impressions!

some say the menu ui is sluggish?

It's sluggish only if you try to do everything using the touch screen (like I did in the first 30 minutes). Once you get used to the button shortcuts it's very nice.

Wiped

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Wow, from nowhere!

Is this the first console Football Manager ever?

I bought FM Touch on phone but didn't get far with it, was quite cut down, more so even than the old PSP games (which I really enjoyed) and it wiped my save file once. And the menus were a bit fiddly.

I am interested in this though. Any impressions? Is it coming out physical? I'd like a physical version if possible.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
Wow, from nowhere!

Is this the first console Football Manager ever?/QUOTE]

nope

5100A64A61L.jpg

first was actually 2006 but couldnt find boxart

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
FM with Buttons? That really works?

It's quite intuitive. RT is Continue/Play/whatever it's in the top right corner. LT is Back. LB brings up the menu on the left side. X and Y pop up some contextual menus. Right stick is scroll and so on. It's faster than using touch due to how you hold the Switch.

Deleted member 6733

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Do we know if there will be live updates on transfers for new seasons? Also, can you manage lower league teams, specifically Pompey? If so, I might just bite!

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
Do we know if there will be live updates on transfers for new seasons? Also, can you manage lower league teams, specifically Pompey? If so, I might just bite!

We don't know yet what they will update.

I currently manage Stevenage in League Two, so yes, you can manage lower league teams.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
For instance. You should be able to navigate the menus seamlessly using the d-pad or left analogue stick. Or have the option to only use the Controller. Using the touch screen & controller together just seems a little convoluted.

You can navigate the menus using the Dpad. And left stick it's practically acting like a mouse.

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Ah, typical Football Manager.

I start Unemployed and Tamworth take me in.

I see I only have one striker, who on the first league game scored 4 goals...

...so I set about getting 2 more strikers on wages of £40 a week each as we are poor...

...then I get this article:

DawxXHUU0AAQzAw

We lost the next game 4-1 cuz you know, my front line on any FM game I play has to be the worst thing imaginable.

Lucky they only expect mid-table. Cuz we ain't got a good scorer for most of the season.

Blablurn

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Ah, typical Football Manager.

I start Unemployed and Tamworth take me in.

I see I only have one striker, who on the first league game scored 4 goals...

...so I set about getting 2 more strikers on wages of £40 a week each as we are poor...

...then I get this article:

DawxXHUU0AAQzAw

We lost the next game 4-1 cuz you know, my front line on any FM game I play has to be the worst thing imaginable.

Lucky they only expect mid-table. Cuz we ain't got a good scorer for most of the season.
Having a good time?

cbrotherson

Freelance Games & Comic Book Writer
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Birmingham
We don't know yet what they will update.

Yeah, I suspect it will depend on how well it sells. The Vita version wasn't supported once the sales proved it inefficient to do so. I would imagine this version will do better, but that RRP isn't going to help in the very price sensitive UK.

That said, I'm pretty sure a price drop will happen in time for the World Cup and new season...

My personal impressions after a day - I love it. Yes, it takes time to get used to the controls but they fly once you do. The engine is smooth and for me, the flexibility of what is a good port, is everything. I've played this on my way home on the tube, on the TV, and lying down with the joycons unattached with the Switch standing on my belly. It may all sound frivolous but FM is a loooong game. Comfort is important. And being able to just lounge around, arms by my sides and still be totally stuck in is awesome.

Yes, there are glitches and crashes and moments where the cursor is slow. But yes, these are issues I've had with pretty much all my Football Manager experiences on PC from day one. And with my current laptop and tablets, I wouldn't even be able to play it without long load times and slow visuals (and I got bored of the mobile version pretty quickly). This suits my needs perfectly and I'm happy to have bought it.

Blablurn

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Yeah, I suspect it will depend on how well it sells. The Vita version wasn't supported once the sales proved it inefficient to do so. I would imagine this version will do better, but that RRP isn't going to help in the very price sensitive UK.

That said, I'm pretty sure a price drop will happen in time for the World Cup and new season...

My personal impressions after a day - I love it. Yes, it takes time to get used to the controls but they fly once you do. The engine is smooth and for me, the flexibility of what is a good port, is everything. I've played this on my way home on the tube, on the TV, and lying down with the joycons unattached with the Switch standing on my belly. It may all sound frivolous but FM is a loooong game. Comfort is important. And being able to just lounge around, arms by my sides and still be totally stuck in is awesome.

Yes, there are glitches and crashes and moments where the cursor is slow. But yes, these are issues I've had with pretty much all my Football Manager experiences on PC from day one. And with my current laptop and tablets, I wouldn't even be able to play it without long load times and slow visuals (and I got bored of the mobile version pretty quickly). This suits my needs perfectly and I'm happy to have bought it.
Sounds fantastic! Will buy now :O

nekomix

Oct 30, 2017
This version is an interesting proposition but it would be hard to leave updates and mods from the PC version behind for me. When I learn I can update the database and put some more on this version, I will be totally in.

cbrotherson

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Birmingham
Sounds fantastic! Will buy now :O

Your mileage may vary - I also loved the Vita version, despite its faults ;) But I just love the fact that it's a very playable, relatively smooth running version of in-depth FM I can play anywhere. And that it was a mere pipedream up until a few weeks ago. To have it now, and not feel like it's been too compromised is great.

spidye

Oct 28, 2017

And the best part is the battery usage.
Played like 2-3 hours straight but only used 30-40% of battery charge

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Yeah, I was wondering how it shapes up after my test last night - turns out that Don't Starve was the bigger battery drain rather than FM. A nice surprise and welcome bonus.

Mine went down quite a bit with full brightness. Was at EGX in London and musta played 4 hours on train and queue before it got to 5% at end of the journey home.

Maybe it's to do with it still tracking playtime even when in sleep mode?

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
Battery life being bad would be a really turn off for the game
Despite everyone claiming to do so, FM is not a game of short burst. We always play just one more game...

Jesus the menu navigation is really bad

I think that's one on FM not the switch version though. The menus get more and more atrocious every iteration. So many clutter being added. Gimme back Flex from FM05!

mojo2

Oct 26, 2017
Finland

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Well the resolution of the whole game and 3D Match Graphics could be better, both handheld and docked...

...but when has that ever impacted the enjoyment of a spreadsheet haha.

cbrotherson

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Birmingham
Maybe two hours now and four crashes. Maybe it's because I'm running it from the SD card? I don't know.

That's strange. Mine is off SD too, but so far no crashes, apart from if I try to rush start the game, then it goes into a strange instant match with invisible players (which is creepy and messed up. Now I just let the game go through all the logos and such by itself).

FM has always been a strange beast when it comes to bugs, though. I reviewed the very first FM when it splintered from the Champ Manager brand, and encountered very few to virtually no bugs or crashes. A few people after complained why I didn't report that it was super buggy and crash happy when they got their release versions, to which I replied I simply didn't encounter them to the frequency the public did and so couldn't complain about something which I didn't come across. But there clearly were plenty - I was just very lucky (cosmic balance for me being a Villa boy?).

It's a difficult game to catch all bugs and crashes, sadly, as when you think about it, 99% of players will never play the same thing. We all choose particular teams, more or less nations to play with, and then buy/loan different players and the AI will also target different players, change staff etc from the very first day we load our own game. Then the results are all going to be different from, day to day. It literally could be any number of factors causing a crash, from a single player being at a particular club via the AI, to a certain result happening, conflicting with any of the billion other variables happening, unique to your personal game. As a tester, it's a nightmare.

Cold comfort, I know, but fingers crossed Sports Interactive weed out more in the coming weeks to at least stamp out the more obvious ones.