• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Malcolm9

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Only Chelsea could still embarrass themselves when they're winning 5 nil. That goal takes Palmer top of golden boot race and he's a penalty expert. Those other players should be embarrassed trying to take it off him.

Hardly embarrassing, good to see passion and a desire to win in the players.

Connor pulled rank and put them in their place, all good in the end.

Corncob

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Hardly embarrassing, good to see passion and a desire to win in the players.

Connor pulled rank and put them in their place, all good in the end.
How is that desire to win? Desire for personal glory maybe. Desire to win would be stepping back and letting the guy who's single handedly kept your team out of the relegation zone this season take the penalty. The guy who's never missed a penalty and is now the golden boot leader.

Zaph

Oct 25, 2017
Having to endure Alli as a player was difficult, but as a Sky commentator? Cruel and unusual punishment. He's awful

Kattlauv

Oct 28, 2017
Manila
MSP and Farhad Moshiri have agreed a deal in principle this evening to extend the loan agreement that was due to end in the coming hours 🔵

timeforsana

Oct 26, 2017
How is that desire to win? Desire for personal glory maybe. Desire to win would be stepping back and letting the guy who's single handedly kept your team out of the relegation zone this season take the penalty. The guy who's never missed a penalty and is now the golden boot leader.
Eh, could make the argument it's personal glory for Palmer too. He already had a hat-trick, if there was any team cohesion and togetherness, and if Palmer is the supposed leader of this team now, he'd have given it to someone else anyway. Not necessarily Madueke, but you give it to someone who maybe isn't in the best of form or who hasn't scored in an effort to give them a boost.

Jodez99

Jan 1, 2018
Eh, could make the argument it's personal glory for Palmer too. He already had a hat-trick, if there was any team cohesion and togetherness, and if Palmer is the supposed leader of this team now, he'd have given it to someone else anyway. Not necessarily Madueke, but you give it to someone who maybe isn't in the best of form or who hasn't scored in an effort to give them a boost.

I mean it's absolutely personal for Palmer because he is going for the golden boot.

bremen

Sep 22, 2020
What if the player Palmer gives it to misses?

Sums Chelsea's season up. Spank Everton for six and most of the talk is about that!

OP
OP
Uzzy

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK

View: https://youtu.be/tuDiylkXHLo?si=B2eKFMnpOAj25WYP

10 years today since this incredible goal. Remember when Bale and Neymar were going to be the next Ronaldo and Messi? Wild times.

Also, Arsenal's run in is horrifying, they're so done.

rjmx2l78vmuc1.jpeg

Addi

Oct 25, 2017
Round 37 can be really interesting if all three teams are still a few points from each other at that point. City v Spurs (A), Arsenal v United (A) and Liverpool v Aston Villa (A).

TheBee

Oct 18, 2023
Yeah City have definitely got the rub of the green, so to speak.

City just played Liverpool, Arsenal, Crystal Palace and Aston Villa (the latter 2 just beat the title rivals) with a CL tie against Real Madrid thrown in for good measure. Before then a lot of people were saying City had the hardest run in and there were even a couple of posters on here acting like it was down to Liverpool and Arsenal.

Arn

Prophet of Truth
Oct 28, 2017
City will win it, they're a machine and have a set of fixtures that I think that squad and manager will chew through with ease. There's no woe is me about it, Liverpool and Arsenal had chances and didn't take them. I can't speak for other teams but Liverpool always felt ahead of time in terms of squad development, both in new signings that need time to really grow into the role but also some signings with question marks that may not be the long-term solution as the team looks to get back to the heights of 2018, 19 and 20.

UCL qualification is huge for the club and the new manager so now it's time to just get focused and accumulate points. If we can remontada the Europa League, great, but I'm not expecting it.

Corncob

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I could see City potentially dropping a few points but obviously you'd never back against them winning them all. Ain't no chance Arsenal or even more so Liverpool are winning all those games though. City massive favourites unless something crazy happens.

coldsagging

Oct 27, 2017
PL is done, can't let City back in like that.

Just dawning on me that we showed incredible grit during the injuries to let it go just as the reinforcements were coming over the hill. Sickener.

Still a good season given most didn't predict we'd be challenging or even top 4, but it doesn't feel like one given how its played out.

Brotherhood93

Oct 28, 2017

View: https://twitter.com/DaleJohnsonESPN/status/1780201020020130025

Can't be just me that doesn't really see the point of introducing a rule that is unlikely to be properly enforced to solve a problem that we already have a rule for?

If there is one thing, aside from VAR and diving, I really hate about football it is blatant timewasting. It is just so fucking boring to wait 30-45 seconds for every dead ball to be taken. There was supposed to be a clamp down on it this season with players getting booked for obvious attempts at delaying the restart of the game and ensuring all the additional time is added on at the end of the half. It is obvious to everyone that is no longer being enforced and hasn't been since mid-September. Is it so much to ask that officials just enforce the rules they already have instead of coming up with new nonsense?

OP
OP
Uzzy

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK

View: https://twitter.com/DaleJohnsonESPN/status/1780201020020130025

Can't be just me that doesn't really see the point of introducing a rule that is unlikely to be properly enforced to solve a problem that we already have a rule for?

If there is one thing, aside from VAR and diving, I really hate about football it is blatant timewasting. It is just so fucking boring to wait 30-45 seconds for every dead ball to be taken. There was supposed to be a clamp down on it this season with players getting booked for obvious attempts at delaying the restart of the game and ensuring all the additional time is added on at the end of the half. It is obvious to everyone that is no longer being enforced and hasn't been since mid-September. Is it so much to ask that officials just enforce the rules they already have instead of coming up with new nonsense?

I seem to recall this rule being enforced hard at one point, which resulted in keepers getting booked for having opposition players run across them when they were looking to release the ball. There is definitely a line to be found between keeper looking to release the ball but can't and obvious timewasting, players clapping the keeper on the back when he's coincidentally fallen to the ground, for instance.

I also get the issues around indirect free kicks being awarded in the penalty area. Those seem to have fallen away from the game entirely, and they're chaotic as fuck. If that's stopping refs enforcing this then yeah, time to look again. Seems sensible to trial it.

Of course yeah if refs still don't enforce it then that's another thing.

Brotherhood93

Oct 28, 2017
I seem to recall this rule being enforced hard at one point, which resulted in keepers getting booked for having opposition players run across them when they were looking to release the ball. There is definitely a line to be found between keeper looking to release the ball but can't and obvious timewasting, players clapping the keeper on the back when he's coincidentally fallen to the ground, for instance.

I also get the issues around indirect free kicks being awarded in the penalty area. Those seem to have fallen away from the game entirely, and they're chaotic as fuck. If that's stopping refs enforcing this then yeah, time to look again. Seems sensible to trial it.

Of course yeah if refs still don't enforce it then that's another thing.
That's the problem right there isn't it? Rules get introduced but often stop getting enforced and this inevitably leads to players taking advantage of it.

One of my biggest gripes with officials is they always make these plans to tackle an issue. They make a big deal of it in the first few games of a season but by game 10 things are pretty much back to where they've always been. Most recently it was timewasting but I have certainly been seeing far fewer 6+ minutes of added time compared to the start of the season and a lot less cynical yellows too. Over the years we've seen attempts to crack down on diving with officials 'letting the game flow', pushing and pulling at corners, crowding the referee/dissent, etc. They never follow through.

Timekeeping is a huge gripe for me because teams taking advantage of a ref's inability to enforce the rules actively makes football less enjoyable. I don't even really blame teams for doing it because it works. I get the argument that maybe the existing punishment is too strong but if you started enforcing it properly you would immediately see it stop. They could be lenient in how it is enforced but it is currently non-existent and you don't even see it in the most egregious of circumstances so I don't have any faith that the new rule would be properly enforced either, well maybe for the first few months.

I'm at the point where I don't think officials can be trusted to keep the game moving, properly punish timewasting tactics and ensure the correct amount of time is added back on at the end so we should just move to a system where the clock stops when the ball is not in play.

chalkitdown

Oct 26, 2017
Hard to call the game at the Camp Nou tonight. Last time out PSG won 4-1 but the time before that they lost 6-1. lol Though, Barca had Messi, Suarez and Neymar that year.

Hoping for a PSG master collapse.

chalkitdown

Oct 26, 2017
Either a PSG comeback masterclass or a completely ill-disciplined collapse incoming.

I will accept nothing in-between.

Last edited:

Morten88

Dec 22, 2019
Stupid from araujo, never give the referee the chance to give red card... But atleast as a neutral viewer, its gonna be fun to watch now.

Smurf

Oct 25, 2017
That was a clear red.

Dumb foul tho, you're up 2, last thing you want is to get a red and give the other team a good chance to score..