• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ED_209

Banned
Dec 6, 2017
Curitiba/Brazil
From Jason Evangelho @ Forbes.:

Speaking to industry sources this week under conditions of anonymity, I've learned that the PS5 will use both AMD's Zen and Navi graphics architectures. What isn't clear is whether the PS5 will incorporate a beefy SoC (system on a chip) or use separate Ryzen and Navi-based components.

Which brings us to, in my eyes, the more interesting revelation. According to my sources, Navi isn't just inside the Sony PS5; it was created for Sony. The vast majority of AMD and Sony's Navi collaboration took place while Raja Koduri -- Radeon Technologies Group boss and chief architect -- was at AMD.

More at:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/jasone...nys-playstation-5-vega-suffered/#5332bcab24fd

(Close if it's old or something else :p)

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wow it really is that time again? Makes sense, i know it doesnt feel long but this generation is 5 years old. Probably going to be 6 or 7 by the time these boxes hit. And we definitely already saw a few next gen games at this e3 ala e3 2012, most noticably beyond good and evil 2 and todd howards games

Merc

Jun 10, 2018
Rumors have it Microsoft is going with Intel for its graphics card ;) (joke)

Last edited:

Midas

Oct 27, 2017
I love all of these rumors popping up. Can't wait for some new hardware.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I think the fact that Navi was created specifically for Sony is interesting, usually wouldn't Sony just use whatever upcoming technology was already planned with a few tweaks?

BigBlock

Jun 5, 2018
If Sony does in fact go with AMD. Does this make Microsoft. go with Intel? Or is it gonna be whoever they wanna work with?

edit

Last edited:

Merv

Oct 27, 2017
AMD did custom versions of their Architecture for both MS and Sony last time, there is no reason to think they won't again.

Navi is AMDs product. There will be custom versions for the consoles.

Feb 10, 2018
I think AMD will be designing an APU that has a navi GPU for sony.
It makes little sense that sony will have exclusive rights for navi.
I guess it will be like the PS4 PROs custom Polaris with vega features.
This will be a custom Navi for sony.

Amd will most likely working on a custom navi for MS too.

If navi was the codename for sonys next gen console GPU why would AMD annouce navi as there next PC GPU?

BigWinnie1

Banned
Feb 19, 2018
I think AMD will be designing an APU that has a navi GPU for sony.
It makes little sense that sony will have exclusive rights for navi.
I guess it will be like the PS4 PROs custom Polaris with vega features.
This will be a custom Navi for sony.

Amd will most likely working on a custom navi for MS too.

Maybe Microsoft is with Intel this time and we are gonna see chipsets face off and see who got the best shit.

Oct 27, 2017
Well they're getting an order of 100M+ units from Sony for PS4 so it makes sense.

I wonder how realistic it is to have separate AMD CPU and GPU or an APU as many expect.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I still dont understand how AMD can work with bost Sony and MS on their graphics cards. Why would AMD develop something for Sony and then not give it to MS? I doubt they have any patents on these chips.

Aokiji

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
Developing their next architecture specifically for Sony sounds off. The PS4 sales numbers must *really* be swaying to AMD is that's the case.

GundamStyle

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
Does this mean that Xbox cant have navi until a certain date or something?
I still dont understand how AMD can work with bost Sony and MS on their graphics cards. Why would AMD develop something for Sony and then not give it to MS? I doubt they have any patents on these chips.
You dont need patents for that sort of thing. You need contractual exclusivity. You say this technology can only be used on this kind of hardware. Like when Sony developed the Cell. It ended up on some tvs and ect.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Does this mean that Xbox cant have navi until a certain date or something?
You dont need patents for that sort of thing. You need contractual exclusivity. You say this technology can only be used on this kind of hardware. Like when Sony developed the Cell. It ended up on some tvs and ect.
Right. But that implies ms won't use navi which makes no sense.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
I think the fact that Navi was created specifically for Sony is interesting, usually wouldn't Sony just use whatever upcoming technology was already planned with a few tweaks?

According to the original article, after some internal tussling, AMD's CEO placed the semi-conductor business at the center of their GPU designs going forward rather than the other way around i.e. they would start with semi-custom client needs with their new architecture, then spin off PC parts from that. In the past it was indeed the other way around, but apparently Lisa Su promoted the semi-custom business to be the core driver.

If navi was the codename for sonys next gen console GPU why would AMD annouce navi as there next PC GPU?

It's not the code-name for Sony's next console GPU... but it, apparently, will be based on Navi. And according to the report, AMD is designing Navi primarily with PS5 in mind and for Sony's timeline.

And MS wont have the same?

I dont get the big deal here tbh.

The original article is a bit weird in that in terms of consoles, it only talks about Sony as the design focus for Navi. But it's possible that when the article talks about Sony and PS5 there, it really means Sony/MS in general. Or, even if Sony was the original primary driver for Navi, I don't think there'd be anything stopping AMD spinning off other Navi-based parts for other semi-custom clients like MS.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Whatever the case, I just know I'm waiting on the next big AMD video card, no more Nvidia for me if they don't support VRR.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
No smoke without fire, Playstation 5 is closer than anyone thinks.

Well the same original article for this says PS5 is scheduled for 'around 2020', suggests that this is the timeframe AMD is working with for the PS5 chip. I'm not sure that's necessarily earlier than expected - probably around what most would expect.

Of course these are just more rumour articles... I wouldn't necessarily put too much weight into them yet, certainly around exact timeframes.

v_iHuGi

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Well the same original article for this says PS5 is scheduled for 'around 2020', suggests that this is the timeframe AMD is working with for the PS5 chip. I'm not sure that's necessarily earlier than expected - probably around what most would expect.

Of course these are just more rumour articles... I wouldn't necessarily put too much weight into them yet, certainly around exact timeframes.

Yeah March 2020 maybe.

How much power are we expecting here on Navi 7nm and Ryzen + whatever it's called.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
MS will be getting the exact same deal, it's not like AMD do exclusive deals haha, this isn't software.

BitsandBytes

Dec 16, 2017
This bit is what I was about to comment on before seeing it mentioned in this article. Past tense is right and what I read in the other articles about this. Sony's APU already taped out?

The other interesting aspect to all of this is that my sources never mentioned Microsoft in the Navi conversations. This is pure speculation, but maybe Microsoft's next Xbox devices -- code-named "Scarlett" -- won't use Navi at all. Perhaps it will use a separate semi-custom solution incorporating Vega, or something else entirely that we're not privy to. Either way, the conversations I had referred to Navi in the past tense, as if it was already finished.

Perhaps Sony is closer to a PS5 than Microsoft is to a next-generation Xbox?