• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deadlast

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if we should start another thread to bring this issue to light with other Era parents on this forum? When I was a kid, we didn't have online gaming, so that wasn't an issue for us, but now, our kids are growing up in a gaming landscape that's very different from when we were kids.
This is not a bad idea. Maybe make an OT or community thread. Then we can discuss gaming for our kids.

okayfrog

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Gaming has a racism problem?

tenor.gif
I feel like that just labeling this a "racism problem" can lead to others trivializing the issue. This is worse than that. It's not just kids screaming the n-word that's the problem It's kids screaming the n-word who are then contacted by white supremacists/Nazis and eventually twisted into something more than just some edgy kid.

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
Not that we needed confirmation, but good to have evidence pile up, it's no surprise, youtubers obviously are also big part of it.

Gamers led to the raise of Trump basically.

That's a bit hyperbolic, it's not like these tactics were used only on gamers, preying on outcasts has always been a tactic of these bastards, this problem goes beyond just gaming and nerds, they go after every person who feels wronged.

Polaroid_64

Oct 25, 2017
The whole "try and understand Nazis" crowd continues to give white supremacists a platform which they use to recruit even more loyal followers.

Playing right into their hands. They are laughing at you while you push your broken ideal.

I guarantee there are arms of Nazi recruitment who insert themselves in the middle man position. They are advocating for them while trying to appear disconnected.

newgamewhodis

Oct 28, 2017
Brooklyn
This is probably the main problem I have with PC gaming. Steam is a platform that refuses to censor or control messaging in people's screennames or avatars. I'll load up a game of Rocket League and get a heap of white supremacist or the_donald memes thrown in my face. It definitely makes me consider how a more restrictive and controlled console could be more appealing for a parent.

MoogleMaestro

Oct 25, 2017
My question (and I've been thinking about making a thread on this) is: what is it about video games that makes the fandom so conservative? I understand that video games have become a mainstream staple of entertainment in society and that this seems like an odd question or just one that is caused by a silent majority not positing their views, but I think it still begs to be asked because even at industry award shows as mentioned in this thread "trending gamer" goes to fairly conservative streamers, and not to mention a ton of the most famous streamers are embroiled in controversy.

Games are very attractive to those who partake in "Gun Culture" since many young gun enthusiasts got into guns because of games like Counter-Strike or Call of Duty. Gun enthusiasts obviously label themselves as conservative, which then brings them to the other crazy things that may come with conservatism.

It's a shame that some of my old friends who are into guns get convinced to believe in some other crazy stuff simply because they believe they need to be steadfast in their political alignments.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You just have to look at how nazi-like rhetoric has invaded gaming space with claims of censorship in games, demanding the removal of women and minorities, demands of free speech which are never about free speech, not wanting politics in their games, their call outs against the media. And those like Boogie who remain "neutral" who only help these people maintain their platform and momentum. Or H3H3 who has started catering to these kinds of people. Jon 'gene pool' Jafari who got his statistics from a literal white supremacist site and people siding and defending him. PewDiePie and his Nazi stuff. Chris Ray Gun defending Milo's pedophilia and being a general piece of shit who does his best to ruin discourse on legit problems. And all of them who have either been on a vodcast or have communicated with Sargon of Akkad who is a useful tool to neo-nazis.

Those are big name influencers. And that's not even the tip of the iceberg.

IBLiSTRiGGER

Jun 7, 2018
Los Angeles, CA
You just have to look at how nazi-like rhetoric has invaded gaming space with claims of censorship in games, demanding the removal of women and minorities, demands of free speech which are never about free speech, not wanting politics in their games, their call outs against the media. And those like Boogie who remain "neutral" who only help these people maintain their platform and momentum. Or H3H3 who has started catering to these kinds of people. Jon 'gene pool' Jafari who got his statistics from a literal white supremacist site and people siding and defending him. PewDiePie and his Nazi stuff. Chris Ray Gun defending Milo's pedophilia and being a general piece of shit who does his best to ruin discourse on legit problems. And all of them who have either been on or have communicated with Sargon of Akkad who is a useful tool to neo-nazis.

Those are big name influencers. And that's not even the tip of the iceberg.

yeah, this is huge. all of the 'big influencers' in video gaming right now are either paying lip service or outright backing up nazi talking points. make no mistake, young kids look up to people like this, they hang onto their every word, and the nazis know it. places like youtube are prime recruiting ground for that very reason. you bait them with 'sjws' destroying their favorite games, and reel them in.

i had to deal with this with my ten year old cousin. he loves pdp, quotes him all the time. that's how young they can hook them in. it's grooming, plain and simple.

that's why we've got to create more positive role models and spaces. i know it's carthratic to call the gaming community a dumpster fire— because it is— and let it burn, but we can't just let them have their way with it. we're handing them the next generation on a silver platter if we do.

MattWilsonCSS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deplatforming nazis should be the first priority, as they are not entitled to free speech on private servers, within private organizations, on forums, etc. Make them retreat to the darkest corner of the web, and then deplatform that as well.

To say the left isn't doing anything but acting smart is fucking bullshit. The left has initiated and participated in hundreds of protests since 2016, voted in DSA candidates, caused major primary upsets, called their representatives relentlessly. We are doing things.

To tone police how minorities approach people with hateful ideology is fucking bullshit as well. Nazi ideology LITERALLY WANTS TO KILL THEM. These are the highest stakes imaginable, people have been killed at rallies, mass shootings have been caused by white supremacists. You want to talk about budding child Nazis? Dylan Roof was a kid, and he went into a church and committed a massacre. SURPRISE, people don't want to have a polite debate with him about his ideals.

Deplatform their leaders, pull the roots out so it doesn't have a chance to grow.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Who's fighting back? I just find it ridiculous that one would lecture minorites on how to face the problem and how we're all just doing it wrong. If you guys really understand, do the thing you want, just stop acting like we have no idea.
Sure, I ment in example like with Ohto and Chettlar in this thread. Neither of them has said or implied "hey minorities hear me out", but they both ended up having to defend and explain again what they said/ment as if they've said something wrong or problematic. Or they are accused of "both sides are bad" rhetoric. And also now they are seemingly trying to tell minorities people how to think and behave. They are talking about these things generally, they aren't adressing minorities. They feel there's something we (including me, who's not a minority) can do to help a change for the better. We had a thread created in the OT once, "Reach out to/educate bigots ~ to those who say this, you ever actually tried it?" and the OP also admitted from the start "if you say yes, I assume you are lying". Even the thought of trying to reach out and "educate" bigots was ridiculed in that thread by others too. Not sure who that helps and how. But this is what I ment by "fighting back" and it's not just this particular thread. Also I feel I need to repeat this again to be clear, I fully understand when people who are opressed don't have the patience or interest to engage with bigots. I won't blame them, they are the victims. Yet I think it's worthwhile to do even when not with 100% success rate, especially those who enjoy different priviledges should do it. If you are white, challenge racism, if you are straight then challenge homophobia etc. Do it at home, at school, at work, everywhere. Judging these things is of course also important, but with challenging these views I mean bit more than just telling people off. And no I don't expect especially minorities to have such patience with bigots, but there's plenty of priviledged people who are doing nothing and that has to change. So encouragement of people to discuss/challenge these things shouldn't be met with any opposite arguments. At worst case, the person doesn't change so I don't see any downsides to it. This approach shouldn't be ridiculed or questioned as much as it seems to be.

Also trying to affect people in a positive manner is something person can do on themselves, which makes it very important in my eyes. As I only have one vote myself, so in that way my means for change are quite limited. But if I can have any impact on how some other people vote, it gives me better chance. And not just voting, but of course I hope the person would also change their ways overall. And while I can ask or demand for the people in power to do something, it's just me asking for others to make the change. While discussing these things with people whom I disagree with, is something I can do on more personal and direct level.

Last edited:
May 20, 2018
Racism is a normal everyday thing period.

Recruiters no matter their ideology will use all available communication channels. Gaming is one of them.

As much as it sucks and a part of gaming is indeed full of manchildren pricks, I'm not sure if we should be treating this issue as gaming-specific.

It's a widespread issue in our society (*) and we should process it accordingly.

(*) Not trying to compare to other societies, be they previous ones or foreign ones, just, that's the society we live in.

Also at one point I'll need to have a conversation with myself about the whole idea of "don't push them too hard you need to talk to their reason". As nice as this sounds, the efficiency of such method seem largely debatable.

It is gaming specific if gaming is a unique and common means of recruitment. Compared to gaming, you think universities, hip hop scenes and basketball fan sites are good mediums for recruiting neo-nazi's ? Probably not. If the recruitment of young people into violent Neo-nazi organizations is a problem worth tackling than it's absolutely necessary to take a look at the routes by which these organizations recruit their members.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
That you do it is great and fine, had you framed this around here is what I do because i have the privilege to be able to do so, that would have been one thing. But you elevated what you are doing as the way, not your way, the way, and accused me of doing nothing, accused me of being counterproductive (while also accusing me I remind you of doing nothing), you put massive amounts of words in my mouth, you seconded a post putting responsibility on the left for creating these people.

I don't begrudge the tactic I begrudge the expectation that that is how it must be done.

I just think that certain methods are far less productive than others. For some people the most effective response may just be to avoid the situation entirely as best they can. I don't think that all methods are equally effectual and I think some are actually counterintuitive.

Danzflor

Oct 27, 2017
Not surprised at all. I followed the GamerGate movement closely a couple years ago and was exactly this, using the ethics in game journo as a bullshit facade. It was all a political/social movement from the very beggining and this people saw a huge opportunity with this kids, mostly Trump supporters by now. It really makes me sad, but I'm relieved to see that this is info is coming out. As obvious as it may sound, someone somewhere is gonna ask you for proof of this acussations, and is good to have them on record.

Also, FUCK this dudes toying with depressed people for political gain. They make me sick to my stomach.

Twig

Oct 25, 2017
If you believe in the promise of "paradise" from some random online you're dumb.
Piping in again to point out that that's not how it works. Nobody comes out the gate swinging with "come join me in heaven". It's a slow and subtle process. You become friends, then start seeding your conversations with more and more insidious bullshit until they're fully on board.

This utter dismissal of the issue does a lot more harm than you seem to believe.

Lonely, disenfranchised people are not "dumb" for wanting to feel like they belong somewhere. And that's what these fucklords are taking advantage of.

Don't be a fucking asshole.

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
Jon 'gene pool' Jafari who got his statistics from a literal white supremacist site and people siding and defending him.

I used to be part of a chatroom where a kid that couldn't be older than 18 started linking me that shit, fully knowing im mexican, saying "but look, here are the stats backing up Jon!".

That kid was not a racist, that kid didn't mean harm. That was a kid who just wanted to defend one of his fave youtubers, we had to explain to him he was blindly linking racist propaganda, he eventually apologized because he admitted he didn't read the link.

Im horrified at the damage these dipshits do to the young.

Surface of Me

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is about the kids who are vulnerable and get turned into Nazis. They aren't Nazis when they are born. Nor are they Nazis when they enter their teen years. Just as Nazis have the ability to affect these kids, so do we. And when they are being more inviting then we are, well, how damn worthless are we?

I'm so tired of this "well fuck Nazis" I mean like, yeah dude. Of course. Fuck Nazis. But that attitude will never fix anything if all we care about is condemning Nazis, while just blindly letting new ones pour in. Why not, ya know, address the reasons these kids are becoming Nazis, cuz ya know, we don't want them to be a thing? You are literally yelling at the water of a flooding ship and articulating just how bad you think it is, all while more water just comes pouring in, sinking your damn ship.

I am so tired of this just, talk and no action. Just dunk on Nazis on twitter. Great. Cool. Wonderful. But the moment we start seeing symptoms of that kind of ideology spring up in young people, why on earth is our first reaction to go "NO YOU'RE WRONG AND YOU'RE A BAD PERSON!"? You will. not. affect. change. that. way.

"Oh so you just want us to say 'Yeah that's right. Be racist. That's fine.'?"

No. No no no.

Like, why is it so hard to understand that you can empathize with someone whilst simultaneously not standing for the bad stuff that they are tending towards?

When you meet an alcoholic who wants to go clean, do you tell them "YOU'RE A BAD PERSON. YOU ARE HURTING PEOPLE?" No. No you do not. It will not work. Trust me. It will not work. It does not. Any person in rehab will tell you that does not work. You tell them that eventually, but first you start by understanding their motivations for consuming alcohol. Then you help them see the mistake. You do that after. No one will ever leave the thing that is unhealthy for them and those around them until you help address the things that got them there in the first place. I am not saying to let the alcoholic keep drinking here, but I'm also saying to not just tell them they are bad and hopeless and you hope they die. Neither works. Ever.

I am extremely well acquainted with that process. If you tell someone they are bad they immediately shut down. You might be right, but you are not being helpful. You are not doing anything useful. And if you don't care to do anything useful, then I refuse to believe you actually care about anything more than sounding very righteous and smart.

I am not saying be like Boogie. Boogie's problem is he tries to make both sides legitimate, instead of taking a hard stance. Don't be like Boogie. Don't try to please everyone.

You can take a firm stance without alienating people. I do not give a damn about how righteous you are.

Again I feel like I'm insane because like, I want to see change, but no one else does. They just want to feel right. They just want to do the easy thing: say how bad Nazis are. Nevermind actually, ya know, helping the kids before the Nazis get to em.

This damn obsession with vengeance will not fix anything. I have yet to seen one single example of it working.

This post is so damn good.

Deleted member 42686

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 26, 2018
Pretty disgusting.

But here in Brazil this is not actually news. Online gaming was aways like that, with a lot of disgusting cases(ragnarok online for instance). In fact, on the streets people here uses what I call subtle racism.

Danzflor

Oct 27, 2017
This post is so damn good.
It is good but lacks a big point: what do we do after the Nazis got the kids? Yeah, we should, as a society, working to avoid that in the first place, but what do we do when it is too late? How do you approach or talk to a kid who already went full alt-right and think he is in the right, in the good?

It is extremely hard to make that people recognize their mistakes or even engaging in a normal conversation. I know people can change, they deserve the opportunity to change and show it (talking from experience being a former mysoginist), like the former white supremacist on the OP, but how do we deal with people with their vision so up they own arses they refuse to change?

I'd love to have an answer to that, but sadly, after many years of tiring social media exchanges, I have no clue. You go and tell that alt-right kid that he's doing great? That the way he sees the world is not bad when clearly it is?

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
It is good but lacks a big point: what do we do after the Nazis got the kids? Yeah, we should, as a society, working to avoid that in the first place, but what do we do when it is too late? How do you approach or talk to a kid who already went full alt-right and think he is in the right, in the good?

It is extremely hard to make that people recognize their mistakes or even engaging in a normal conversation. I know people can change, they deserve the opportunity to change and show it (talking from experience being a former mysoginist), like the former white supremacist on the OP, but how do we deal with people with their vision so up they own arses they refuse to change?

I'd love to have an answer to that, but sadly, after many years of tiring social media exchanges, I have no clue. You go and tell that alt-right kid that he's doing great? That the way he sees the world is not bad when clearly it is?
The guy in the OP hasnt actually changed much. The thread in etcetera goes into it.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/fo...-an-ama-on-reddit-read-op.52250/page-9#footer

petran79

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Greece
This is probably the main problem I have with PC gaming. Steam is a platform that refuses to censor or control messaging in people's screennames or avatars. I'll load up a game of Rocket League and get a heap of white supremacist or the_donald memes thrown in my face. It definitely makes me consider how a more restrictive and controlled console could be more appealing for a parent.

With Discord and Reddit it will become even worse

Deleted member 15326

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh, the guy who's pushing his book and doesn't really think of himself as racist

Well, maybe this can get some of you to get your family to stop shouting slurs online

Avinash117

Oct 25, 2017

It is really difficult and I find unrealistic that it will solved in any matter anytime soon. To stop radicalization a good portion of the country will need to see it has a huge problem, their needs to be a political will to confront it and treat it, and the government and many organizations need to dedicate resources. It won't be dealt with grassroot programs. They do not have the resources to solve such a complex and large scale problem.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017

That one is way, way tougher. However, it is true that time is on our side if we act. If we can stop the floodgates (i.e. the young kids), then eventually the old angry bastards will grow old and die. I'd rather it not take that long, and every person we neglect and leave to the other side represents years longer the process will take.

There is no easy solution here because it's tied so deeply to what makes humans human. Like, I can think of no tougher task. I never wanted to imply it was easy. I just wanted to say it was important.

Its upsetting that my rant against a great issue rampant among the left was seen by the mods here as some sort of negative generalization of the left at large, rather than a call to action as it was intended. If you don't call out a rampant issue, how on Earth are you supposed to fix it? And in my opinion, it's extremely extremely common, especially given that it feels like an uphill battle any time I encounters it. I think we can be better. Apologies if it sounded like I just think the left is nothing but terrible people. That was not the intent.

Danzflor

Oct 27, 2017
That one is way, way tougher. However, it is true that time is on our side if we act. If we can stop the floodgates (i.e. the young kids), then eventually the old angry bastards will grow old and die. I'd rather it not take that long, and every person we neglect and leave to the other side represents years longer the process will take.

There is no easy solution here because it's tied so deeply to what makes humans human. Like, I can think of no tougher task. I never wanted to imply it was easy. I just wanted to say it was important.

Its upsetting that my rant against a great issue rampant among the left was seen by the mods here as some sort of negative generalization of the left at large, rather than a call to action as it was intended. If you don't call out a rampant issue, how on Earth are you supposed to fix it? And in my opinion, it's extremely extremely common, especially given that it feels like an uphill battle any time I encounters it. I think we can be better. Apologies if it sounded like I just think the left is nothing but terrible people. That was not the intent.

No worries, I understood your main point, just was pointing out the depressing reality that there's not much we can do after. We for sure need to start seeing this educational and mental stuff from the beggining of the life and treat it seriously since day 1.