• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Empty Your Head

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 1, 2022
Dialog sounds about what I would expect from Gary Witta given the writing he's done in the past. I know it isn't just him working on the game but it feels very in-line.

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
People on Twitter are going beyond dunking on it to point out the problem isn't so much the dialogue - probably made for the ad - as the bland poorly matched video and music around it.

This person made it ten times better.

View: https://twitter.com/spellbang/status/1557451134645796864?t=tIgxdRx6HDzuJcZnpBHVVw&s=19

I'm dying because this is an entirely lateral change. It's still corny and inoffensive. Still just a normal ass ad both ways.

Smoolio

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
20+ pages for this? The most unjustifiably hated game stays hated I guess.

Or MCU haters needed a fix with no D+ shows or movies currently airing.

Oct 12, 2020
People on Twitter are going beyond dunking on it to point out the problem isn't so much the dialogue - probably made for the ad - as the bland poorly matched video and music around it.

View: https://twitter.com/spellbang/status/1557451134645796864?t=tIgxdRx6HDzuJcZnpBHVVw&s=19

That's a much better trailer.
The dialogue is pretty default Marvel style humor, but the editing, sound design and music of the original trailer was just the worse and wasn't fitting the tune of the dialog at all. It felt like, somebody was making a Final Fantasy like trailer and then at the last minute they were throwing the dialog on top.

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, but it's clear that's who it's targeted towards even if it's misguided. Marketing execs are idiots.

It isn't though. The console owning demo is something like 18-35–and you're probably on the older end of that scale if you've got the means to acquire a PS5 or a PC strong enough to run this game specifically regardless.

Ashes of Dreams

Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020

Yeah but now this is inaccurate to the tone of the game. What we've seen of the cutscenes and gameplay aren't represented here at all. Love or hate the original, it's more accurate to what we're getting. This makes it "ten times better" by making it something else, which means the problem you're having isn't actually the ad.

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
Dialog sounds about what I would expect from Gary Witta given the writing he's done in the past. I know it isn't just him working on the game but it feels very in-line.

From what I gathered, neither Gary Witta nor Amy Hennig had anything to do with the actual writing of the game. Witta worked on the establishment of the core universe while Hennig was a consultant back in 2019. The actual script comes from 2 TV writers, Todd Stashwick & Allison Rymer.
Right on. There's a lot of people trying to have a better reason to dunk on this game on sight even if they acknowledge the racism and misogyny that at least partially fuels the kneejerking we're seeing in response to this game's existence. Gotta tip the scales because this game's failure will be weaponized.

It's worth noting that all the writers are white and from what we know no black people other than the acress playing the main character was involved in development. Also, a developer themself once described her as walking with a very ""very hip-hoppy kind of walk" and the main character's backstory seems to be filled with pretty bad stereotypes?

Last edited:

Truly Gargantuan

Still doesn't have a tag :'(
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Gotta tip the scales because this game's failure will be weaponized.
Eh. I ain't worried about what some chuds are gonna say or meme or make a video essay out of. They're gonna do that regardless. If not for this game, then some other.
I just wanna send a message that dark skin women deserve to have leading roles in games.

Nov 8, 2017
Come on, now. Anyone reading the thread could easily see that there are waaay more people dunking on it than defending it.

I didn't claim more people defended than dunked on it. But I am saying you don't get threads this long this quickly unless people are frequently getting into arguments and thereby generating more engagement and keeping it at the top of the thread list longer, which then attracts more posts. Then when people say "why is this thread so big, what's all this drama about?" that further reinforces the cycle. That's how threads get big even on trivial topics, and we see it semi regularly.

While probably only 1/4 of the people here are defending it, the thread would likely only be 5-6 pages if it was just people coming in to have a giggle about it, because people would move on relatively fast without something to keep talking about and once it drops to the bottom half of the first page or onto the second page it drastically reduces the number of people seeing it.

Empty Your Head

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 1, 2022
From what I gathered, neither Gary Witta nor Amy Hennig had anything to do with the actual writing of the game. Witta worked on the establishment of the core universe while Hennig was a consultant back in 2019. The actual script comes from 2 TV writers, Todd Stashwick & Allison Rymer

Huh. Well, they're pretty in line with what I expect from Witta. Definitely reminds me of some of TWD dialog and the lowlights of his original features.

StraySheep

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah but now this is inaccurate to the tone of the game. What we've seen of the cutscenes and gameplay aren't represented here at all. Love or hate the original, it's more accurate to what we're getting. This makes it "ten times better" by making it something else, which means the problem you're having isn't actually the ad.

I would argue in that case they should have never recorded these lines for the ad and gone halfway.

Point is I'm not in the camp who is just shitting on the writing or the lines. I just think they are used super weird here.

Ashes of Dreams

Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
I would argue in that case they should have never recorded these lines for the ad and gone halfway.

Point is I'm not in the camp who is just shitting on the writing or the lines. I just think they are used super weird here.
I mean this ad is just a shortened cut of the trailer from last year.
www.youtube.com

Forspoken - PlayStation Showcase 2021: Story Introduction Trailer | PS5

Forspoken arrives Spring 2022 on PlayStation 5.Mysteriously transported from New York City, Frey Holland finds herself trapped in the beautiful and cruel lan...

Trying to imagine the music used in that tweet's punk rock version over this full trailer falls apart completely imo. It's just not what the game is going for.

Honestly I feel like half of the problem would be solved if they took out "freaking", it's REALLY hard to make anything seem cool when you say "freaking".

Feb 16, 2022
I didn't claim more people defended than dunked on it. But I am saying you don't get threads this long this quickly unless people are frequently getting into arguments and thereby generating more engagement and keeping it at the top of the thread list longer, which then attracts more posts. Then when people say "why is this thread so big, what's all this drama about?" that further reinforces the cycle. That's how threads get big even on trivial topics, and we see it semi regularly.

While probably only 1/4 of the people here are defending it, the thread would likely only be 5-6 pages if it was just people coming in to have a giggle about it, because people would move on relatively fast without something to keep talking about and once it drops to the bottom half of the first page or onto the second page it drastically reduces the number of people seeing it.
I still disagree. Going through the pages, there are evidently only a few instances of people getting into "arguments". Like 70-80% of the posts are just dunking on it or requoting/reposting a previous joke/dunk. I don't understand why you seem to be trying to "pin"/"blame" the page count on people "defending" the game--because I notice you've made more than one posts trying to paint the people defending the game in a negative light.

Enforcer

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The trailer was fine for me? I mean most video game lines can be made cringey if you just look hard enough.

touchfuzzy

Banned
Jul 27, 2019
Man, what a shame to go back and watch the initial teaser for this game and wonder how we got to this.

It's literally looked worse every single time we see any more of it

Kreim

Dec 6, 2017
Uh oh it's still being memed on, it's officially past the free 24 hours you get for trifling bullshit.

Now we're entering the "Stuck on it" zone, where agendas and biases are surely revealed....

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo

Yeah this makes the dialog much better when it is actually paired with something that makes sense. This trailer sells the game and a fan made it. Wtf is SE doing?

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I have feeling the actual game is going to be fine. Most of the flubs with this game just seem like a disastrous attempt at the marketing team at trying to market it.

Ashes of Dreams

Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
The thread is this long because the game has many, many people defending it, thus creating many arguments, thus inflating the page count substantially.

I feel like this is a really weird way to look at threads on a forum tbh. In general this reaction to a page count being high is really strange but most of them are just annoying drive-bys. But this talk of people defending this game unnaturally inflating the page count is just really off. I get that the underlying implication is that YOU all don't think this subject worthy of discussion but why is it being framed as a bad thing that other people do?

This notion that this thread should exclusively be reserved for people making drive-by dunks and posts that amount to nothing more than "lol XD" is being matched with this mindset some on this forum have that actual discussion and conversation isn't something that should be taking place and it's all just really confusing to me.

Feb 16, 2022
I feel like this is a really weird way to look at threads on a forum tbh. In general this reaction to a page count being high is really strange but most of them are just annoying drive-bys. But this talk of people defending this game unnaturally inflating the page count is just really off. I get that the underlying implication is that YOU all don't think this subject worthy of discussion but why is it being framed as a bad thing that other people do?

This notion that this thread should exclusively be reserved for people making drive-by dunks and posts that amount to nothing more than "lol XD" is being matched with this mindset some on this forum have that actual discussion and conversation isn't something that should be taking place and it's all just really confusing to me.
My point exactly. Especially with a post like this:
Well the thread had to be 20 pages so we could cover the following ground 10 times over:

• Are people secretly complaining because of racism?
  • Are people secretly complaining because of sexism?
  • How come the entire forum loves MCU (every single person loves it) and nobody has ever complained about it (not even once), yet they do complains about this? Isn't this being very unfair and/or hypocritical?
  • Isn't all game writing bad actually?
  • How come people thought the campy dialogue in FFO was endearing but don't think this (completely stylistically unrelated) dialogue isn't? Hypocrites much?
  • I think people are out to get this game for unspecified reasons.
...I feel like this implies people shouldn't be having these concerns, for some reason.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK

That's disappointing on Cory considering Chris Ray Gun is anti-SJW and pro gamergate.

Chris Ray Gun

Christopher Ray Maldonado (December 4, 1993–), more famously known by the moniker Chris Ray Gun, is a Puerto Rican YouTube personality, known for his semi-frequent discussion of political topics. As of December 2020, his YouTube channel has over 643,000 subscribers and 107 million views.[1] He...

Nov 8, 2017
]... This notion that this thread should exclusively be reserved for ...

I was attempting to explain something, not claiming that nobody should ever be allowed to disagree with things.

I still disagree. Going through the pages, there are evidently only a few instances of people getting into "arguments". Like 70-80% of the posts are just dunking on it or requoting/reposting a previous joke/dunk. I don't understand why you seem to be trying to "pin"/"blame" the page count on people "defending" the game--because I notice you've made more than one posts trying to paint the people defending the game in a negative light.

The length of the thread itself does not bother me, so I'm not really "blaming" in the sense that it's a crime that needs somebody to be arrested for. I haven't done complete statistical analysis of the thread, so sure, maybe I'm slightly overestimating the fraction of posts generated by the combination of people defending or arguing. It is of course also ironic that this discussion we are having is further bumping the thread and generating more responses!

As to your second comment, I do certainly believe that a large fraction of the arguments have been waged over points that are sometimes nonsensical, and often underpinned by a logic that makes distasteful assumptions about people. Or is just outright insulting people but without specifically quoting or naming them. It's therefore difficult for me to treat these with much respect.

I don't mean people saying "I don't have a problem with it", which is a totally valid opinion.

...I feel like this implies people shouldn't be having these concerns, for some reason.

I wrote the list because the core of many such posts was assuming that the people dunking on the topic of this thread - the writing in a specific TV spot - are actually either hypocrites of some form, or have various ulterior motives for doing so. Sometimes this is directly stated, sometimes it's just insinuated, but whatever the case it's making sweeping generalizations about why people "really" dislike it, implying of course that they shouldn't and their stated reasons are bogus. Again, ironically, this is what you have also said I'm doing!

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
If people are going to directly reference this as "Whedonisms", it's worth examining exactly why Whedon's writing worked when it did (ie. In the late 90's through to the mid 2000's.)

View: https://twitter.com/xoxogossipgita/status/1557445613574291461?t=ToXznZ7sM4W7YUuryJvjBg&s=19

View: https://twitter.com/xoxogossipgita/status/1557447961046548481?t=K726GuqYLtYdehuMWExYAg&s=19

This version feels more cohesive, but also what happens when this game doesn't have this aggressively chaotic tone? Like if the game was more deliberately "edgy" (in quotes for a reason) in the vein of a DmC, it might fit, but by all signs, they want to play the fantasy angle pretty straight, and not like "AND SHE'S HERE TO FUCK THIS PLACE UP"

White Glint

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure Amy Hennig didn't do a lot of work on this but when trying to get into Uncharted through the Uncharted 2 demo it was bog full of this exact kind of quippery. Maybe it was less tired back then but it was enough to put me off from the franchise.

I just hope so hard that cretins attribute none of Forspoken's awfulness to the actress.

Feb 16, 2022
I wrote the list because the core of many such posts was assuming that the people dunking on the topic of this thread - the writing in a specific TV spot - are actually either hypocrites of some form, or have various ulterior motives for doing so. Sometimes this is directly stated, sometimes it's just insinuated, but whatever the case it's making sweeping generalizations about why people "really" dislike it, implying of course that they shouldn't and their stated reasons are bogus. Again, ironically, this is what you have also said I'm doing!
At a glance, it just seemed like you acting dismissive and/or were criticizing people for raising genuine concerns about it, which should be understandable considering the protagonist is a female PoC. I guess it just raised some alarms in my head. I apologize if you didn't mean for it to come across that way.

Nov 8, 2017
At a glance, it just seemed like you acting dismissive and/or were criticizing people for raising genuine concerns about it, which should be understandable considering the protagonist is a female PoC. I guess it just raised some alarms in my head. I apologize if you didn't mean for it to come across that way.

I also apologise if I came on too strong. Anyway, Pizza time.

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Squares marketing department is consistently awful.

any game they release has an uphill battle from the start

I_love_potatoes

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jul 6, 2020
Okay... that voice over was.. terrible.

I thought for a split second that the official trailer was a meme too... till I realised that was the actual trailer and people were meme-ing it. 😂

Paroni

Dec 17, 2020
Squares marketing department is consistently awful.

any game they release has an uphill battle from the start

I think part of the problem is that the things they showed about the fantasy world are honestly pretty underwhelming which makes her quirky excitement even more memeable. Sure, that all might be fantastical for the isekai'd character, but the trailer is viewed and the game is eventually played by people for whom dragons and magical items are generic fantasy imagery. Things that she, yeah, does now aren't special at all for anyone who has ever consumed any other high fantasy themed media. I don't get how the marketing team thought that this would be hype.

SickNasty

Mar 18, 2020
Well the thread had to be 20 pages so we could cover the following ground 10 times over:

• Are people secretly complaining because of racism?
  • Are people secretly complaining because of sexism?
  • How come the entire forum loves MCU (every single person loves it) and nobody has ever complained about it (not even once), yet they do complains about this? Isn't this being very unfair and/or hypocritical?
  • Isn't all game writing bad actually?
  • How come people thought the campy dialogue in FFO was endearing but don't think this (completely stylistically unrelated) dialogue isn't? Hypocrites much?
  • I think people are out to get this game for unspecified reasons.
You missed 'I don't see why people are judging this game before it's out based on the curated content that has been made public purely for the purposes of the public to make their own judgements about it.'

sponge_cake

Alt-Account
Banned
Aug 1, 2022

They cut out the bad dialogue though. And some of the trailer dialogue looks like it's taken from in-game cutscenes, https://youtu.be/AdZUrXCqUck?t=101 (hopefully not all)

Last edited:

Hello Snake

Nov 25, 2020
Canada
I have no problem with this type of humor if it's well executed. In this trailer it wasn't. But the parodies are hilarious, I love them.

Okay I just watched the older longer trailer with the same dialogue, and it didn't seem too bad there. I'm not sure what the difference is.

Last edited:

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
That's disappointing on Cory considering Chris Ray Gun is anti-SJW and pro gamergate.

Chris Ray Gun

Christopher Ray Maldonado (December 4, 1993–), more famously known by the moniker Chris Ray Gun, is a Puerto Rican YouTube personality, known for his semi-frequent discussion of political topics. As of December 2020, his YouTube channel has over 643,000 subscribers and 107 million views.[1] He...

Damn. Disappointed in Cory on this one.

Thanks for the warning, deleted my post.

Doubt Cory is aware of that considering his stances on subjects in general.