CheapJi

Apr 24, 2018
I have a hard time figuring out if water reflections are raytraced or not.
They don't look ray traced on the series S (SSR hence the lack of reflection on the sides of the screen) meanwhile on PS5 it's a lot more convincing but still I feel like something's missing. It does not look quite raytraced in my opinion.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
I have a hard time figuring out if water reflections are raytraced or not.
They don't look ray traced on the series S (SSR hence the lack of reflection on the sides of the screen) meanwhile on PS5 it's a lot more convincing but still I feel like something's missing. It does not look quite raytraced in my opinion.

Some water bodies are while others are not. The mainland waters are raytraced: you can see off screen objects like trees (lower mesh and resolution) being reflected but no characters cus it's the high setting and software based, but some waters like uderground mine streams are SSR which is a bummer. I don't know if this is for consoels only or whether PC maxed out has them ray traced too or a common thing between all platforms.

I bet that skin looks great with the lumen reflections. The rough/diffuse reflections also looked very impressive.

Indeed. #373

Theecliff

Oct 28, 2017

View: https://twitter.com/dark1x/status/1599714524973924354

John from DF is on the case. His comparison pics also show off the Nanite improvements quite well:

The stonework here:
FjNTrDcWAAAYQG3

The cladding of the house here:
FjNTrDeWYAEGuHw

Props to the artists who put in the work. I fully expected them to just enable Nanite on old assets and call it a day.

haven't had a chance to try the update out yet myself but very happy to see DF looking to make a video on it, will be cool to see what sorts of details they catch.

Jun 25, 2022
Some water bodies are while others are not. The mainland waters are raytraced: you can see off screen objects like trees (lower mesh and resolution) being reflected but no characters cus it's the high setting and software based, but some waters like uderground mine streams are SSR which is a bummer. I don't know if this is for consoels only or whether PC maxed out has them ray traced too or a common thing between all platforms.

Indeed. #373
Wow it looks great. I bet it looks even better in motion.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017

The way Epic introduced an Ayida skin in the last season made me feel like they were trolling us. This was harsh haha.

Wow it looks great. I bet it looks even better in motion.

You rarely see reflections on non flat surfaces recording everything happening around you, well the whole character shows stuff being built on his body like the last screen I mentioned. No way to imagine this except seeing it in action. This a huge achievement on consoles. They really pulled a wonder.

Sangral

Powered by Friendship™
Feb 17, 2022
The only thing I really really don't like graphically because it sticks out like a sore thumb is this weird "magical" light source that's always on your character in dark areas. With all these real dynamic lighting and shadow effects this is just a bit disappointing. Why is this a thing and can I get rid of it?

RJUhyb.jpeg

RJc8T7.jpeg

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The only thing I really really don't like graphically because it sticks out like a sore thumb is this weird "magical" light source that's always on your character in dark areas. With all these real dynamic lighting and shadow effects this is just a bit disappointing. Why is this a thing and can I get rid of it?
probably for readability. and I haven't head of any mod for it (largely because this is an online game)

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017

RJUhyb.jpeg

RJc8T7.jpeg

That bluish hue existed since the start of UE4 and in almost all games. It's a problem with the engine lighting itself that makes it feel off some times. I fully agree with you. With hue I could recognize any UE4 game.

bitcloudrzr

May 31, 2018
I am guessing that this is all dynamic to maintain a solid 60fps on like PS5, including other elements like dynamic res and what not.

Oct 25, 2017

RJUhyb.jpeg

RJc8T7.jpeg

Likely wouldn't be able to see your character very well in the dark without it some kind of rim light. That being said, they could learn a thing or two from Demon's Souls.

View: https://twitter.com/rittzler/status/1599657972283555840?s=20&t=R-pL_1SqcXPa4Lr_QwQzXw

I love contextualization like this.

Jamrock User

Jan 24, 2018
Battlefield games added lights around characters when players started complaining about visibility. Wouldn't be surprised if this is them staying ahead of that.

Mutagenic

Oct 30, 2017
It's impressive on current gen consoles, but I'm unsatisfied with the hit to performance on PC. I'd rather avoid any reconstruction and play with a crisp image at around 240fps on my monitor.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
So there is no rt for fire effects

Such effects and particles are not reflected even on PC since RT started back then where you can see characters with fancy effects completely butchered cus only their solid rigged parts are reflected but not the non polygonal stuff around them. For RT to be effective and traced it mostly needs stuff turned into solid geomtery like how now grass is real geomtery instead of billboards or alphas or cards. Unlerss they have other workarounds for it.

Fezan

Oct 26, 2017
Such effects and particles are not reflected even on PC since RT started back then where you can see characters with fancy effects completely butchered cus only their solid rigged parts are reflected but not the non polygonal stuff around them. For RT to be effective and traced it mostly needs stuff turned into solid geomtery like how now grass is real geomtery instead of billboards or alphas or cards. Unlerss they have other workarounds for it.
I think I didn't worded it properly. I meant no light emitting from fire particles

Sangral

Powered by Friendship™
Feb 17, 2022
Likely wouldn't be able to see your character very well in the dark without it some kind of rim light.

I don't know. It's not that dark, even in completely unlit rooms or corners that you would really need it. But with looking closer at this, it really seems like this is something they did so you can really see your weapon better when aiming.

RJcgAq.jpeg

But it's so noticable, even when not aiming and being in well lit rooms or sometimes even outside, that I think it's completely against what Epic tried to accomplish with this brand new RT update, while it maybe was ok before, it now feels like a relic from older updates and ruins the real time lighting effect a bit.

ShiftyRat

Oct 27, 2017
I played a few matches last night and the game was an absolute stuttery mess. About how long did it take for everyone's shaders to fully compile? I'm using a 3080 and a 12700k.

Bio-Frost

Nov 6, 2017
Bend
I played a few matches last night and the game was an absolute stuttery mess. About how long did it take for everyone's shaders to fully compile? I'm using a 3080 and a 12700k.
I have played 15 matches so far on PC and its been a studdery mess the whole time only getting better maaybe near the end of that 15. Sometimes if i stay in one area ill get a constant 60 but then once i run somewhere else ill get weird spikes down into the 15's for a second then shoots back up. Similar specs to you with a 3080 and a 12900k. Nanite and lumen turned on or not its a mess and has been like this for me since the move to ue5 last season. So ive just started playing more on ps5.

Last edited:

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Fortnite is the most impressive game on PC and consoles now. Amazing.

Actually UE5 was the onyl engine to show what true next gen means with Echo, Matrix demos and Hellblade 2. Now a the first real next-gen game with true next gen features is up. So makes sense. Can't wait to see other AAA games and those running in 30 FP¨S gonna be bonkers, and when the engine gets updated in the future, high end PC and probably mid-gen consoles will push realism even further.

We have come a very long way: https://www.reddit.com/r/FortNiteBR/comments/zct1g6/aint_no_way_mfs_still_sayin_chapter_1_graphics/

Almost 2 gens above:

pkiszypyz04a1.jpg

I keep saying this whenever I see it. If you want to do cross-gen, do it this way. No one cna brag about doing cross-gen in such way and thankfully the update is free unlike many examples that nearly nothing and charge you extras or even new full prices.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know. It's not that dark, even in completely unlit rooms or corners that you would really need it. But with looking closer at this, it really seems like this is something they did so you can really see your weapon better when aiming.

RJcgAq.jpeg

But it's so noticable, even when not aiming and being in well lit rooms or sometimes even outside, that I think it's completely against what Epic tried to accomplish with this brand new RT update, while it maybe was ok before, it now feels like a relic from older updates and ruins the real time lighting effect a bit.

I think stuff like this is just an example of drawing the line between simulating realistic imagery and rendering, and building a video game to be played. The illusion is broken a bit but even with this fancy tech update Epic's first and foremost goal is to make a video game that is playable, and them and everyone else will continue using rendering tricks to ensure clarity and readability of information. Particularly in a game like Fortnight, or any shooter really, where realistic sim-like play isn't the goal, and so designers are conscious of visual readability of player and enemy characters. And thus invisible light sources and/or shading is included to make them "pop".

It's probably something folk need to keep in mind even as games continue the foray into outrageously impressive real time ray traced GI and whatnot. End of the day, they're still video games, and they're still going to make concessions to lighting/shadows/textures/geometry for the sake of readability and play.

Kind of like how an overwhelming majority of films aren't actually shot with 'real' lighting. Off screen light sources and reflectors are regularly used to add subtle highlights and focus to ensure people and scenes are lit in a way that is attractive to the eye, drawing attention as necessary, even if it's not technically "realistic". Same goes for props and perspectives. Often it's a bunch of lies and bullshit, but our brains buy into the image for what it is.

silentq15

Aug 15, 2022
I think what impresses me most about this update is even with all my settings up to the max with the ray tracing and everything going that on my 3080ti it plays around 80fps average. That is the most wild thing to me. I know I am the rare exception with my GPU but its still quite an accomplishment and can maintain that kind of framerate.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
I think stuff like this is just an example of drawing the line between simulating realistic imagery and rendering, and building a video game to be played. The illusion is broken a bit but even with this fancy tech update Epic's first and foremost goal is to make a video game that is playable, and them and everyone else will continue using rendering tricks to ensure clarity and readability of information. Particularly in a game like Fortnight, or any shooter really, where realistic sim-like play isn't the goal, and so designers are conscious of visual readability of player and enemy characters. And thus invisible light sources and/or shading is included to make them "pop".

It's probably something folk need to keep in mind even as games continue the foray into outrageously impressive real time ray traced GI and whatnot. End of the day, they're still video games, and they're still going to make concessions to lighting/shadows/textures/geometry for the sake of readability and play.

Kind of like how an overwhelming majority of films aren't actually shot with 'real' lighting. Off screen light sources and reflectors are regularly used to add subtle highlights and focus to ensure people and scenes are lit in a way that is attractive to the eye, drawing attention as necessary, even if it's not technically "realistic". Same goes for props and perspectives. Often it's a bunch of lies and bullshit, but our brains buy into the image for what it is.

Fortnite: the game of all kinds of paradoxes from Goku fighting Super Man while Kratos dancing to the most realistc cartoony graphics ever made, achieving WTH results even on machines like Series S while true current-gen games failed to do: https://www.reddit.com/r/FortNiteBR/comments/zcamap/new_graphics_are_so_good_even_on_series_s_its/

6s6loc9g2w3a1.jpg

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
Is there a way to opt out of playing with bots?

Yea this is definitely a balancing thing. Same thing happened with COD.

They had to either add character specific rim lighting into BFV or increase it greatly because players were taking advantage of the already noisy level geometry on some maps to perfectly blend into parts of the level and be totally invisible to other players.

DrScruffleton

Oct 26, 2017
Honesty, not sure if it's something my end, but the pictures here look way better than when I'm actually playing the game. I have an LG C9 OLED, series X. I'm close to saying it looks the same as before. I have it on 60 FPS. Is it only PC where people are seeing a clear difference?

benzy

Oct 25, 2017
Honesty, not sure if it's something my end, but the pictures here look way better than when I'm actually playing the game. I have an LG C9 OLED, series X. I'm close to saying it looks the same as before. I have it on 60 FPS

You can switch back and forth if you go into the menu to enable/disable 120fps

Sangral