• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Manta_Breh

May 16, 2018
Ohhh i think i need to play with the 60 fps mode ... I think i played it at 120 and didnt notice much changes, thought it looked the same more or less.

Slack Attack

Oct 28, 2017
Holy shit this update is definitely a massive visual upgrade.

I'm on PC and when I first started the new update, all of my character models looked pretty fuzzy. Is that possibly due to the temporal super resolution? Mine was set to 50% (performance).

Crazy that my 3080 is kind of struggling with this.

brokenswiftie

Prophet of Truth
Banned
May 30, 2018
How can I be sure it's 100% working on PS5 and XSX? Just have 120fps deactivated and deactivate low input latency mode? That's it?
Cause the game looks super good but I just want to make sure I get the 100% experience.
Is everything working here?

are you sure you need to deactivate low input latency mode?

Jogi

Prophet of Regret
Jul 4, 2018
Anyone else having issue where they can't sprint? Also had a game where my red dot didn't have…the red dot 😂

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018
Anyone else having issue where they can't sprint? Also had a game where my red dot didn't have…the red dot 😂
These are common bugs I've seen reported on reddit. Haven't had them myself so I dunno if there's a fix. I keep getting a bug where the prompt to pick up items will disappear until I swap my equipped weapon and my friend had one where it stopped letting him mantle for the rest of the match.

Gamesadict

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know what happened, but first time I booted the game after the update I was able to find the Nanite setting and turn it on, but now I don't see it, and if I go back to DX11 I see it but it's of course disabled. Back again to DX12 and the setting is gone again, and don't know if it's enabled or not, but I guess not because the Shadows setting is not called Virtual Shadow Maps... anyone know?

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
My God. When trying to play the game normally and doing challenges, i found myself admiring the graphics when I got hit and killed many times by noobs (probably not enjoying the graphics cus no current gen console or capable PCs) or just don't know what graphics means. This is so unfair /S
Bring back battle lab mode.

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know what happened, but first time I booted the game after the update I was able to find the Nanite setting and turn it on, but now I don't see it, and if I go back to DX11 I see it but it's of course disabled. Back again to DX12 and the setting is gone again, and don't know if it's enabled or not, but I guess not because the Shadows setting is not called Virtual Shadow Maps... anyone know?
It only shows up and works when you have the Battle Royale mode game type selected on the main menu. Any other mode like Save the World or even community made modes, will cause those options to disappear.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
I wa standing near a car rear view mirror and now i could see what is happening behind me. Although I could not see players on the mirror behind me, cus Consoles don't use HW RT and Epic settings I saw stuff burning behind me (uyes seems fire is being reflected luckily on mirrors on consoles). It was so satisfying in the Matrix demo see everything reflecting including pedetesrians walking reflected on therear view mirror of cars and even on the cars themselves. Sadly this feature is missing on consoles cus it's 60 FPS compared to the Matrix demo that could afford it. Hopefully mid-gen consoels could solve this or when a VRR update for higher quality mode is up alongside a HDR update.

It feels so good detsroying interior's walls to make light come in and illuminate the whole scene with multiple bounces and even destroying trees causing shadows on the whole map to make the shaded area fully lit. This is truly next-gen. I remember when people were slaty for a long time how SVOGI was cut from UE4 and blamed it on the consoles. XD

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
I wa standing near a car rear view mirror and now i could see what is happening behind me. Although I could not see players on the mirror behind me, cus Consoles don't use HW RT and Epic settings I saw stuff burning behind me (uyes seems fire is being reflected luckily on mirrors on consoles). It was so satisfying in the Matrix demo see everything reflecting including pedetesrians walking reflected on therear view mirror of cars and even on the cars themselves. Sadly this feature is missing on consoles cus it's 60 FPS compared to the Matrix demo that could afford it. Hopefully mid-gen consoels could solve this or when a VRR update for higher quality mode is up alongside a HDR update.

It feels so good detsroying interior's walls to make light come in and illuminate the whole scene with multiple bounces and even destroying trees causing shadows on the whole map to make the shaded area fully lit. This is truly next-gen. I remember when people were slaty for a long time how SVOGI was cut from UE4 and blamed it on the consoles. XD
SVOGI probably was cut due to consoles. Xbone's GPU wasn't even good in 2013. PS5/SX are so much better.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
I like how the new shockwave hammer when slapped on water causes a huge ripple effect pushing all the icy foam around it. They are doing AAA Naughty Dog and Kojima type of details now.

D23

Oct 25, 2017
Wow im actually enjoying the no building mode. This is my first time playing fortnite, and affter playing so much warzone this feels so bright and colorful to play, and actually kinda fun.unral engine 5 is very impressive. Color me impressed

gabdeg

Oct 26, 2017
🐝
Yeah strangely structure you built on top of water bodies don't get reflcted yet they do reflect irl on Silver surfer. So weird.
Yeah water is a a bit weird in the game. I want to look at that some more. Yesterday just walking near a body of water I randomly had very obvious SSR artifacts for a brief while going on despite everything being maxed out + HW RT. There was clearly the outline of my characters pickaxe visible in the reflections. Water rendering is an obvious field where I think they could improve UE5 some more. I think in comparison with the whole lighting system and Nanite it falls behind a bit.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah water is a a bit weird in the game. I want to look at that some more. Yesterday just walking near a body of water I randomly had very obvious SSR artifacts for a brief while going on despite everything being maxed out + HW RT. There was clearly the outline of my characters pickaxe visible in the reflections. Water rendering is an obvious field where I think they could improve UE5 some more. I think in comparison with the whole lighting system and Nanite it falls behind a bit.

It's a mix of both RT reflections and SSR. You could see trees, clouds buildings and structures all being off screen but reflected, you can not see any building structure you create whther off screen or on screen. Enemies do show up reflected on water but only when on screen so it's SSR.
Underground water streams liek those in mines don't reflect stuff off screen with RT like the rest but just stuff on screen. The water reflections now are so weird.

Vince Death

Jun 15, 2022
Wow im actually enjoying the no building mode. This is my first time playing fortnite, and affter playing so much warzone this feels so bright and colorful to play, and actually kinda fun.unral engine 5 is very impressive. Color me impressed
I don't play Fortnite much, but when I do, it is zero build. Much better than the build mode

th1nk

Nov 6, 2017
What ever it is it looks just like pop in and is just as distracting.
www.xbox.com

ArchedThunder | Fortnite | Xbox

A capture by ArchedThunder
Yeah Lumen is the real deal, but I had hoped Nanite would eliminate all LOD pop-in. I hope Epic can improve thus further or that there is some other explanation for this.

I hope DF can shine a light on this, maybe an Epic engineer can explain what is going on. Dark1x

PockyWitch

Oct 27, 2017
This is just a pure guess and might be wrong, but I think those landscape meshes that do look like they're still using traditional LODs might just not be compatible with nanite at the moment. From UE5.1's nanite page:
Nanite meshes do not currently support:
  • Custom depth or stencil
  • Vertex painting on instances
    • This specifically means per-instance painted colors using the editor's Mesh Paint mode.
    • Vertex colors imported on the original mesh are supported.

Considering the ones in the clip are all terrain, I think they might be using per instance vertex colors to paint in snow and other details.

DeepBlueDay

Jan 10, 2020
Crazy that this free to play battle royale mode is currently one of the best looking ( and sounding) games out there.

It's pure eye candy now, feel like I'm playing some kind of tech demo all the time.

Fantastic Job Epic 👍

th1nk

Nov 6, 2017
Yeah one can only imagine what is possible graphically for more linear single player experiences now. Crazy that a multiplayer game with destructible buildings, so many players and a huge map can have this kind of lighting tech run at 60 fps on console. 🤯

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Crazy that this free to play battle royale mode is currently one of the best looking ( and sounding) games out there.

It's pure eye candy now, feel like I'm playing some kind of tech demo all the time.

Fantastic Job Epic 👍

Yeah one can only imagine what is possible graphically for more linear single player experiences now. Crazy that a multiplayer game with destructible buildings, so many players and a huge map can have this kind of lighting tech run at 60 fps on console. 🤯

Another upcoming F2P using the same engine:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prXHgdsouYA

We gonna see F2P games having more potential graphically and many times econmically too (Genshin Impact gain alone is as big as the value of an enite gaming company).

RedAhmed

Jan 9, 2018
I feel like I'm really out of touch with gaming trends nowadays. This does nothing for me. Yeah, it looks incredible and mind blowing how much they improved the visuals. But then what? What does this do to improve the game? Does this introduce new gameplay mechanics or elements? Does this make the game run better? I really don't see the appeal to use the tech power to improve visuals instead of investing it in new and improved gameplay mechanics. The "we modeled every brick and grass fibre" is supposed to excite me, but it doesn't.
I'm really starting to feel old.

Ananasas

Jul 11, 2018
I hope someday modern games won't have stutter problem, because it is still happening in fortnite

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
Analista just dropped their PS console comparison and wow at the difference between PS4 and PS5 in its 60Hz mode.

youtu.be

Fortnite Chapter 4 | PS4 - PS4 Pro - PS5 | Graphics Comparison | A Real NextGen Update

PS4: Dynamic 1080p/60fps with TAAUPS4 Pro: Dynamic 1296p/60fps with TAAUPS5:- 60Hz Mode: Dynamic 2160p/60fps with TSR + Lumen + Nanite- 120Hz Mode: Dynamic 1...

Welp.
Much, much higher res, several times the geometrical density, dynamic GI with bounce lighting, much better shadows, better particles, parallax occlusion, ray traced reflections on many surfaces (mirror, diffuse, transparent) ALL of which at a MUCH more stable 60fps.
This isn't the greatest or most spectacular looking game but it shows a huge generational leap.
And it's a port, with Nanite being used sparsely.

Proper games built from the ground up in UE5.1 are going to be something else

th1nk

Nov 6, 2017
I feel like I'm really out of touch with gaming trends nowadays. This does nothing for me. Yeah, it looks incredible and mind blowing how much they improved the visuals. But then what? What does this do to improve the game? Does this introduce new gameplay mechanics or elements? Does this make the game run better? I really don't see the appeal to use the tech power to improve visuals instead of investing it in new and improved gameplay mechanics. The "we modeled every brick and grass fibre" is supposed to excite me, but it doesn't.
In this case it is more a tech demo and eye candy than anything else. You will need to wait for games built from the ground up to use these techniques for gameplay purposes.

People in this thread are just very impressed that global illumination is finally deployed in an engine that is widely used in the industry and at 60 fps no less, which is huge for gameplay. Games will look amazing from now on and still can offer 60 fps for great gameplay.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany

In this specific case, it's not an either or question. They're upgrading their engine to advertise it, make it easier to support their game and also improve the gameplay with this update. The hammer shows how fast you can travel through vast areas without the fps really going down.

I hope DLSS will allow me to use RTX in this game on top of Lumen. It looks way better but I can't keep a steady 60 everywhere while it's on.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is just a pure guess and might be wrong, but I think those landscape meshes that do look like they're still using traditional LODs might just not be compatible with nanite at the moment. From UE5.1's nanite page:

Considering the ones in the clip are all terrain, I think they might be using per instance vertex colors to paint in snow and other details.
Landscapes should be nanite ad well now. I think the epic dev on b3d said there's the hlod system still kicking in with nanite after some distance to reduce draw calls

RedAhmed

Jan 9, 2018
In this case it is more a tech demo and eye candy than anything else. You will need to wait for games built from the ground up to use these techniques for gameplay purposes.

People in this thread are just very impressed that global illumination is finally deployed in an engine that is widely used in the industry and at 60 fps no less, which is huge for gameplay. Games will look amazing from now on and still can offer 60 fps for great gameplay.
That's fair, waiting for games built with this engine in mind will hopefully show that developers invest more in gameplay than visuals.

But "games will look amazing from now on and still can offer 60 fps for great gameplay" is a sentence I've been hearing for multiple generations. And still we get developers going for better visuals at the cost of framerate instead of the opposite. So far this gen hasn't fully convinced me yet.

In this specific case, it's not an either or question. They're upgrading their engine to advertise it, make it easier to support their game and also improve the gameplay with this update. The hammer shows how fast you can travel through vast areas without the fps really going down.

I hope DLSS will allow me to use RTX in this game on top of Lumen. It looks way better but I can't keep a steady 60 everywhere while it's on.
If it's a long-term improvement, I don't see the need for it yet since you're asking people to lower things like 120fps. That's one of the things I find more important than this upgrade, but again, that's me and how out of touch I apparently am. I'd rather push this update after everyone can make use of it if ever.

Hopefully others will use UE5 for more (imo) exciting things.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
UE5 tech is exciting as hell. I CANNOT FUCKING WAIT TO SEE TEKKEN 8.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018

The game just had huge changes though, including a new map

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
That's fair, waiting for games built with this engine in mind will hopefully show that developers invest more in gameplay than visuals.

But "games will look amazing from now on and still can offer 60 fps for great gameplay" is a sentence I've been hearing for multiple generations. And still we get developers going for better visuals at the cost of framerate instead of the opposite. So far this gen hasn't fully convinced me yet.

If it's a long-term improvement, I don't see the need for it yet since you're asking people to lower things like 120fps. That's one of the things I find more important than this upgrade, but again, that's me and how out of touch I apparently am. I'd rather push this update after everyone can make use of it if ever.

Hopefully others will use UE5 for more (imo) exciting things.

A jump into new tech will always exclude some people but it runs better on the Switch since this update of all places. I feel like scalability is not a problem with this engine.

I feel like I've not really gotten you point though. You don't want upgrades in visuals unless everyone gets them?

Oct 30, 2017

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I was surprised it somewhat ran on my toaster (4670K/RX 570) at 25~30fps with everything on. Not all that impressive while actually playing though.

Anyway, uninstalled.

Mung

Nov 2, 2017
Though many won't admit it for some reason, visuals are very important to a lot of gamers. Not as important as gameplay of course. However, both can be improved without detriment to the other. It isn't either/or. That's one of the best things about gaming being such a technology-linked hobby. The development of visuals is certainly one of the things that I enjoy.

RedAhmed

Jan 9, 2018
The game just had huge changes though, including a new map
My bad then, I thought that this is the update with how everywhere I see Fortnite mentioned it's all about the new visuals. I should have read better.

I feel like I've not really gotten you point though. You don't want upgrades in visuals unless everyone gets them?
I didn't really have a point, just that I don't get all the focus and excitement on a visual update. I wasn't even aware this is only part of the update.

What I meant with the previous comment is that I don't see it as an improvement if you're introducing upgraded visuals but not at the same framerate (at least for the consoles I assume). But after posting that, I realise it's just an option anyway and the old visuals with better framerate still exists.

This update did introduce new gameplay mechanics and a whole new map, you just came into a thread focusing on the technical changes, what did you expect?
I didn't know there was more to this update, my bad.