FerDS

Oct 27, 2017
Caracas
this is fascinating. not sure of epics endgame here.

on android they could pretty easily be sideloaded at least. Apple store not.

they must have thought "we'll do some shit blatantly against the TOS, what are they gonna do, kick FORTNIGHT off? we're too big to fail".

But they did kick fortnight off.

their endgame is to fight it In courts. They absolutely knew they were going to get kicked off. who will suceed in the end? I have no idea

Deleted member 1849

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How is it a lie when it is a true statement that the developers are just not following through with? A less of a cut DOES mean that developers could sell for cheaper if they wanted to. Key words there being "if they wanted to". Epic cannot force them to sell at lower prices. That is not on them at all but on the publishers and developers entirely.
I'd say it was a lie for them to be advertising it when they should know full well it was never going to happen, because trickle down economics is always bullshit.

Epic never used keywords like "if they wanted to", they actively sold the idea of cheaper games. Much like they are still arguing.

ScubaSteve693

Banned
Mar 26, 2020
And frankly I'm not so sure this will end up benefiting indies anyway. At best, it will force apple/google to allow 3rd party payment methods for IAP's (which I agree with to be clear), but those will still require transaction overhead that indies will have to make up for. I don't think you could legally negate the 30% app purchasing cut, as they are providing an actual service with the App Store (quality being debatable). You MIGHT be able to force that percentage down a bit, but you'd also probably have to be a lot bigger than even EGS to do it. To play devil's advocate here, though, I suppose Apple/Google realistically foresee a totally F2P-dominated app store scenario where no one buys apps upfront and Google/Apple provide these hosting/update/matchmaking services for essentially nothing in return.
The thing is, with third payment processors like PayPal or even your own card services, that amount is MUCH LESS than the 30% apple charges. Paypal typically charging roughly 3%, card services using roughly 2.5%ish as cited in Epic's "Fortnite mega Drop". Anything that pushes more money into the developers/publishers hands and allows them to use that money to make more games/creative experiences is the best outcome here.

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Does EPIC have nudes from every CEO to do that?
Attacking Apple I understand, it's one target and they were prepared, but Google too? I don't doubt that in a few hours it will be kicked off PS4 and XBOX too lol

It won't because they ain't taking the money directly from MS or Sony like they were these stores.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
I'm curious if this is why the entered the Google Play Store in the first place. I know they tried to get themselves a special rate from Google to join the store. But I could see them joining while they were building their case.
Unless of course this was all unforeseen.

They wanted money and a lot of people weren't willing to side load Fortnite.

Muad'dib

Banned
Jun 7, 2018
They allow anyone to put their own stores on there and charge nothing. There is no fucking difference. Steam doesn't give 30% to MS. No one does.

Yeah same as Google on Android, but then again Tim Sweeney was taking shots at Google too for their 30% cut even tho Google allows anyone to setup their own store on Android.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Depending on what phone you have, you don't even need to download the .apk file. Just checked Huawei's App Gallery on my phone, and the Epic app to download and install Fortnite is on there, haha.
The thing is: People are lazy, there are a lot of mobile games and if to play yours they have to think a little more to get it, a lot of the mainstream public is not going to do it.

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
They wish they could do this but noone cares about their shitty Microsoft store.
Also different situation because Microsoft actually allows you to use other sources than their store.
And google removed them from the Play Store now too which is pretty much the same as windows in terms oa llowing software from outside.
No on Windows. Fucking windows. That's what Apple are objecting to here.

ScubaSteve693

Banned
Mar 26, 2020
I'd say it was a lie for them to be advertising it when they should know full well it was never going to happen, because trickle down economics is always bullshit.

Epic never used keywords like "if they wanted to", they actively sold the idea of cheaper games. Much like they are still arguing.
I never stated epic used the keywords of "if they wanted to", I am quoting myself because that is inherently the truth here. Epic isn't wrong for the idea that a bigger cut going to developers could result in cheaper game prices. If anything, the burden should be put on the developers for not lowering the prices since they are receiving more money. It doesn't even necessarily have to be lowered costs up front, they can still sell their games at $60 or whatever, but it should result in lowering the prices quicker than normal.

Melhadf

Dec 25, 2017
It's just really hard for me to see, in my mind, that Epic can in any way win something like this when they've been going along with it for so long, bringing in all that Fortnite money up until now, and from their other popular mobile games and clearly never having an issue with it. How do they all of a sudden, today, determine that it must stop and try to call foul? Nothing changed. It just boggles my mind that they now decide it's not okay. So if they don't agree, pull the game. Instead they just want to squeeze Apple completely out, violating a major part of their previous agreement, and then act as though Apple is the bad guy.

I think it would be a much better battle against Apple if you're a new company refusing to deal with their 30% required cut from the outset instead of saying okay we've made billions now, now we're gonna say it ain't right.

I guess if you subscribe to conspiracy stuff it's that 40% tencent influence being used today to bury the news on trump trying to stop mail in ballots... but down that rabbit hole lots of odd ideas lie.

Slev

Oct 27, 2017
I certainly was around for that, and there are big differences between that and this.

Windows was--and still is--the biggest computer operating system in the world. Nowadays, it has over 75% global market share; it used to be even higher back in the days of the lawsuit. Computers were the primary form of Internet access, and Microsoft using their OS to push their own browser was a big deal. What you had was essentially Microsoft driving almost all worldwide Web traffic through their own app, and leveraging Windows in order to do it.

iOS has about 25% market share across mobile devices, which is not even close to a majority. But beyond that, there are billions of gaming-capable devices around the world, from phones and tablets to computers, gaming consoles, and gaming portables. Apple's App Store does not apply to the vast majority of these devices, so Apple's overall market share across ALL devices will be far less than even that 25%. Therefore, you can't claim that the App Store has anything close to a monopoly in the gaming space.

So, I don't think these two cases are all that alike.

The lack of ability to use third party payment service is the issue in an effective market duopoly. You have to pay 30% cut for payments in the mobile os space (this isn't just about games its about mobile application payment processing). Large swathes of how this case is settled will be how the courts deem a duopoly. Is that competitive enough?

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
So if Apple decided to sell iPhones for $300 instead of the current price, Epic and everyone would be okay with Apple taking a 30% cut?
Tim Sweeney in April of 2019 seems like he'd be okay with that. Epic might not be. Lots of people are quoting Sweeney, but there is nothing that necessarily ties Epic's corporate legal stance to one Tweet from him from quite a while ago.

Eggiem

Oct 27, 2017
Apple and Google be like
giphy.gif

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
This doesn't effect Fortnite on Android as much as on iOS.

When it was first released, you had to sideload the game in anyways. They could also maybe just partner with Amazon's/Samsung's store instead which would give those stores some traffic.

But yeah Epic knew what they could get into with this V-bucks decision. Especially since the Apple video looks like it was done knowing what would happen

Oct 25, 2017
still don't understand how iOS is different then the consoles. Sony/MS/Nintendo have closed ecosystems that only accept payment through them and exist at the whim of the company. Should epic be suing everyone?

ScubaSteve693

Banned
Mar 26, 2020
still don't understand how iOS is different then the consoles. Sony/MS/Nintendo have closed ecosystems that only accept payment through them and exist at the whim of the company. Should epic be suing everyone?
Contracts to use Unreal Engine probably makes them a fair bit more money than losing out on 30% of a cut on those stores do, plus the big companies using UE4 and soon to be UE5 probably make a lot of money from using them, resulting in Epic making more money from it. You will never see high profit margins from a UE game released on mobile in comparison to consoles.