• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

tutomos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'd argue that a lesser game might be reviewed better than a better game once, but the better game is going to be reviewed better eventually.

Gran Turismo is :

A) A way bigger franchise worldwide than Forza;
B) On a console that sells a lot more units than the other, especially outside of US (where racing games aren't as big);
C) The first entry in the series on the system while there has been 3 Forza games on the other (5 if we count the spinoff). Franchise fatigue is a thing.

One thing is inarguable, GT is the most popular franchise.

Forza had more than a decade to be more popular, it didn't happen. People played the game and decided on their own which game is better and which game they are going to buy, instead of looking at reviews to tell them what's good. Maybe, just maybe GT is actually the better game for more people.

Mascot

Oct 26, 2017
Do people think we'll see a Project CARS 3 after the lukewarm reception and poor sales of PC2 and the complicated and expensive development & patching process? I think SMS might concentrate on arcade games from now on. It'll be a shame, but probably an easier and safer bet.

horkrux

Oct 27, 2017
Forza had more than a decade to be more popular, it didn't happen. People played the game and decided on their own which game is better and which game they are going to buy, instead of looking at reviews to tell them what's good. Maybe, just maybe GT is actually the better game for more people.

Considering the much lower sales for Forza, how would they know. They didn't buy it.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Seems people still don't get why GT is constantly selling Forza despite Forza has been rated higher for 4 straight entires. A lesser game might sell better than a better game once but the better game is going to sell better eventually, that didn't happen with Forza. I'm sorry Forza is simply not the better game.
To you. Forza is not the better game to you.

The vast majority of reviews state that Forza is the better game. To them. It's subjective.

Critcally, Forza is the better game. If you're talking about sales, yeah, GTS has sold better. Doesn't make it a better game though

tutomos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Considering the much lower sales for Forza, how would they know. They didn't buy it.
Considering the declining nature of racing games, there are less people who are interested in the genre in general, but the people who are interested have voted with their wallet for more than a decade.

Oct 25, 2017
If i was sony i d fire someone at PD. So much time spent on developing game and bunch of single player stuff missing. Ok focus on online i have no problem with that but dont take away my sp content. I love gt but i skipped this when i realised i cant save offline. It ll just destroy ip in the end.

Indeed. As the boss of Sony worldwide studios and Polyphony board member, Yoshida has got to go, he is solely responsible for putting GT on its deathbed.

Kaz should be put exclusively on PR and dancing duties.

Iucidium

Oct 25, 2017
Do people think we'll see a Project CARS 3 after the lukewarm reception and poor sales of PC2 and the complicated and expensive development & patching process? I think SMS might concentrate on arcade games from now on. It'll be a shame, but probably an easier and safer bet.
That'd be heartbreaking as they are the last bastion of a feature complete, albeit buggy sim that's on PlayStation and Xbox consoles. I'd go back to GT5/6.

BTW, purchased Project Cars 2.

Last edited:

PhilouFelin

Account closed at user request.
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry, I'll adhere to the fact that sales dictate the popularity of a product, but I won't adhere to the line of thinking that sales dictate the quality of a product. And not just for video games.

But that's up for a debate. Won't be with me though.

Btw I'm one of those that bought GTS but not F7.

Deleted member 433

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yoshida has got to go, he is solely responsible for putting GT on its deathbed.

I'd sign this petition, he's making the GT series into his ideal game; but it's becoming clearer with each release that the vast majority of gamer don't want what he does. Sony needed this title to help push VR, it even has it's own bundle out now. But he publicly dissed it and put in the most barebones VR support possible to get them off his back. Then spent lord knows how much man power on that stupid photo mode with 12GB of uncompressed images.

Not being able to just jump into an online game, without queues, waiting, qualifying laps etc. Don't expect many are going to stick with it.

It's a shame as there is an amazing simulation game in there, somewhere.

I turned on today and it decided to remind me what year Windows 95 came out... the guy is mad.

horkrux

Oct 27, 2017
Considering the declining nature of racing games, there are less people who are interested in the genre in general, but the people who are interested have voted with their wallet for more than a decade.

That doesn't mean GT is the better game for them. If they ignore reviews and never try the other games, they have no comparison. But they know GT and GT is a behemoth, so that's what they'll buy. There are probably simply more people interested solely in GT than in the racing genre at large.

Iucidium

Oct 25, 2017
I'd sign this petition, he's making the GT series into his ideal game; but it's becoming clearer with each release that the vast majority of gamer don't want what he does. Sony needed this title to help push VR, it even has it's own bundle out now. But he publicly dissed it and put in the most barebones VR support possible to get them off his back. Then spent lord knows how much man power on that stupid photo mode with 12GB of uncompressed images.

Not being able to just jump into an online game, without queues, waiting, qualifying laps etc. Don't expect many are going to stick with it.

It's a shame as there is an amazing simulation game in there, somewhere.

I turned on today and it decided to remind me what year Windows 95 came out... the guy is mad.
You mean Yamauchi?

Deleted member 20297

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
On the internet where anyone can write a review, and you're talking about an exclusive game only available on one console?

Nothing.
But doesn't Amazon tell you that a customer has actually bought the article when he writes a review? I mean, who would buy a game he doesn't like for a console he doesn't like or even own just to write a bad review? And also on JP Amazon? And how does that compare to other Sony exclusives and their respective Amazon reviews?

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
His comments about the price dropping like a rock are true however. Germany is a PlayStation nation and the game is already sold at 50% of the SRP. It's ridiculous and something like this never happened with a GT game before.

I could have saved a lot of money if I had bought the game three weeks after launch.
Sony are stupid when it comes to GT, GTS is going hurt the brand even more when GT7 comes around.

Iucidium

Oct 25, 2017
Sony are stupid when it comes to GT, GTS is going hurt the brand even more when GT7 comes around.
Hmm.. this IS GT7. the only way GT7 will ever exist is if Sport is a commercial failure and they magically pull GT7 out of thin air and address the (majority) fanbase concerns (GT mode etc) in a very cynical move.

tutomos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That doesn't mean GT is the better game for them. If they ignore reviews and never try the other games, they have no comparison. But they know GT and GT is a behemoth, so that's what they'll buy. There are probably simply more people interested solely in GT than in the racing genre at large.

That argument is growing weaker with more iterations of Forza being out. Especially with this day and age and Forza consistently being rated higher critically, one can easily access information about a game, let's plays, previews, reviews, forum impressions and demos. Maybe the product is just not enticing enough.

To you. Forza is not the better game to you.

The vast majority of reviews state that Forza is the better game. To them. It's subjective.

Critcally, Forza is the better game. If you're talking about sales, yeah, GTS has sold better. Doesn't make it a better game though

If GT just outsells Forza once then this is understandable. For me what I define better is when I want to play a game more than the other games, then that game is better. I can see how some don't like that interpretation and don't think GT is the better game.My point is when people are arguing why GT sells better than Forza they don't even consider that GT being a better game is a reason, to me it's disingenuous.

Memento

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I want to see numbers for GT Sports. Hopefully Sony releases some statement soon. When the DLC wave starts maybe?

Nostradamus

Oct 28, 2017
I want to see numbers for GT Sports. Hopefully Sony releases some statement soon. When the DLC wave starts maybe?
Being that GT always sells well over the holiday period and usually has legs particularly in Europe, I do expect a statement closer to Xmas. That way Sony could partially hide potential underperformance.

Deleted member 11426

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Greensboro NC
Seems people still don't get why GT is constantly selling Forza despite Forza has been rated higher for 4 straight entires. A lesser game might sell better than a better game once but the better game is going to sell better eventually, that didn't happen with Forza. I'm sorry Forza is simply not the better game.

I love the argument that more sales=better. That's not true in many areas like music, tv, or movies.

Sales constantly show that Gran Turismo is just more popular.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Something being more popular means people like it more than other products, I don't know what people are arguing here and yes, that means it's better in their eyes.

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Nah, absolute worst case scenario they'll go back to crowdfunding like they did with Project Cars 1 (albeit probably via Fig rather than rolling their own and getting a legal slap for it).

Egida

Oct 27, 2017
I have to agree with this. I've never been a fan of racing games, I've been a fan of Gran Turismo. Since the first game, I fell in love with the driving model and car variety it offered. I never needed any other game.

Now, with GTS ditching single player I was at a loss, when looking for a substitute, I had to make some research because althought I obviously knew Forza and PC, I didn't really know what kind of content they have.

Last edited:

Astronut325

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I have not played GT Sport myself, but I am totally unsurprised about the negative reaction to it from a lot of long time fans of the series.

The idea of turning GT into a racing-focussed game when the actual racing aspect of the series has always been its weakest element always struck me as a terrible idea.

GT is fantastic as a car-enthusiast game. It's a great driving game. It's a wonderful way to celebrate car culture and the joys of car design and all the things that endear cars to the inner childs within us. But it's never been a good racing game - especially compared to all the other mainline racing simulation titles that exist.
I can't tell if this is a joke post or not. Even if you're serious, why should PD not innovative and mine the genre forward on consoles? And providing an excellent on-track experience is something that every racing sim should strive for.

nismopower

Oct 29, 2017
I played gran turismo from part 3 to gt sport.
Played forza from part 1 till part 7 including all horizons.
But gt sport is so much more a better racing game then forza its uncanny.
Forza 7 is also the last forza ill buy at release. Pc version was just a huge mess.

Gt sport is just amazing, the menus, the music, the graphics and above all the driving.
Yes would love more content, but forza has much more content but for me its not making it a better game.
Online is just a real blast.
Played 135 hours since launch, and still enjoy booting it up, qualify, and start a race.
Also the livery editor and the decal uploader is just really good. Sure there are improvements to be made, but its already really good.
Decal uploader is brilliant and looks amazing and it reduces the time making liverys by alot!!!

xabbott

Oct 28, 2017
Florida
I do wonder how deceptive the sales numbers are vs how much money these games are making. I'm not a sim racing guy but my Father only plays Motorsport. I mean aside from Facebook games, its the only 3D/AAA video game he plays. He buys the vip stuff and whatever car packs, etc. Puts hundreds of hours into the game. Even when they released Apex he got into PCs and bought whatever expansions they released for that and he's been like that for 7 too.

Beef Stallmer

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
GT:Sport simply is the best game.

"Quality over quantity, gameplay first" is how people can describe GT with the latest entry.

I don't care what the critics say. They often know jack shit about games in general, let alone racing games. In 6 months see which game people still want to play. That should be the best game.
Just my 2 cents

Deleted member 10847

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I played gran turismo from part 3 to gt sport.
Played forza from part 1 till part 7 including all horizons.
But gt sport is so much more a better racing game then forza its uncanny.
Forza 7 is also the last forza ill buy at release. Pc version was just a huge mess.

Gt sport is just amazing, the menus, the music, the graphics and above all the driving.
Yes would love more content, but forza has much more content but for me its not making it a better game.
Online is just a real blast.
Played 135 hours since launch, and still enjoy booting it up, qualify, and start a race.
Also the livery editor and the decal uploader is just really good. Sure there are improvements to be made, but its already really good.
Decal uploader is brilliant and looks amazing and it reduces the time making liverys by alot!!!

Thats your opinion. For me Forza 7 is clearly the better game as i love the SP portion of the racing games more than its online. Having so little content and being online focus puts GTS on the unwanted category for me.

ODD

Oct 25, 2017
I always had the feeling that if they were buildings, Forza is made by an engineer and GT is built by an architect. One is solid but bland; the other is beautiful but fragile.

Astronut325

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
GT:Sport simply is the best game.

"Quality over quantity, gameplay first" is how people can describe GT with the latest entry.

I don't care what the critics say. They often know jack shit about games in general, let alone racing games. In 6 months see which game people still want to play. That should be the best game.
Just my 2 cents
This is my take as well. GTS has been amazing. The racing is so well done.

X1 Two

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Thats your opinion. For me Forza 7 is clearly the better game as i love the SP portion of the racing games more than its online. Having so little content and being online focus puts GTS on the unwanted category for me.
I agree, singleplayer is where it's at. A good multiplayer is a nice bonus, but I would never make a conscious decision for multiplayer over singleplayer. For starters I like to win. Winning online is much less likely. Then I like to not be punished for others crashing into me. And finally, I hate lag. Dedicated servers are a step in the right direction, because they add lag to everyone instead of the annoying mess that are P2P connections, but only in singleplayer do you have no lag at all.

I always had the feeling that if they were buildings, Forza is made by an engineer and GT is built by an architect. One is solid but bland; the other is beautiful but fragile.

That makes no sense. Do you mean artist instead of architect?

nismopower

Oct 29, 2017
The singleplayer of gt sport took me 25 hours to compleet.
Sure it was different then previous gts but it sure as hell was fun.
Also the homologation system in fm7 ruined the singleplayer for me. Also the ai is just atrocious, and combined with the lootcrates and vip mess...
I really didnt enjoy playing it.
But offcourse its a matter of taste.
I really love gt sport. And its by far my best racing game in years. Last time i really enjoyed a game like this is gt5/fm4.

upinsmoke

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think the SP is great . It's a bunch of personal challenges and missions and then everything I've learnt I take online and race against other competitive players who enjoy clean competitive racing.

The buzz of winning or even just competing in that environment is unparalleled for me in the console space.

Egida

Oct 27, 2017
The singleplayer of gt sport took me 25 hours to complete.
But I usually put hundreds of hours into each past GT games. Is that game that you keep playing the entire gen.

I think the SP is great . It's a bunch of personal challenges and missions and then everything I've learnt I take online and race against other competitive players who enjoy clean competitive racing.
Challenges and missions have been around for a while. Yes, as something complimentary to the main mode they are great, but they could never be a substitute of a true GT mode (or alternative single player mode)

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017

Don't tell me you really believe that...

ODD

Oct 25, 2017
That makes no sense. Do you mean artist instead of architect?
Kind of something like this:

CfTfZetUUAAhloP-462x600.jpg

Bitsmurch

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Is Forza still the same as GT used to be? Grinding upgrades in order to make your car OP for an event to win it easily and move on to the next one to grind upgrades for?

IE Boring.

I might be being a bit harsh as there was some variety, sometimes you had to grind a car before grinding the upgrades. Man I remember doing the same high value oval race over and over again in GT to grind out new cars and their upgrades. Tedious looking back.

I was sceptical but the online racing in Sport is sublime and more focused. I don't think I could go back to the grind now.

Last edited:

nismopower

Oct 29, 2017
But I usually put hundreds of hours into each past GT games. Is that game that you keep playing the entire gen.

Challenges and missions have been around for a while. Yes, as something complimentary to the main mode they are great, but they could never be a substitute of a true GT mode (or alternative single player mode)
I've put around 135 hours in it since 18 oktober...
So yeah its still a game you can sink all your time in.
Like im doing :)

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
You guys think it was a mistake for Project Cars 2 to launch so close to Forza 7 and GT Sport? Sales are underwhelming and I think that Project Cars 2 gets lost in conversations in the midst of the fanboyism.
Definitely. I remember the next-gen racing thread on "that other place", extremely few talked about PC2 or posted pics even though I think many core gamers that tried all three realized that it was the best in many areas. FM7 vs GTS was simply the big battle on everybody's mind.
But FM7 is the perfect combination of simulation and arcade and has the best campaign, so I'm not surprised that it reviewed so well. It's just not there you'll get the best driving experience, imo.

nismopower

Oct 29, 2017
135 hours only in single player missions and challenges? I applaud your enthusiasm.
No sorry, around 25 hours to complete the singleplayer. Rest is just racing in lobbys making liverys, qualifying, etc.
But is still create custom races, like last night i did 2x 30 min races on lago magiorre, gr4, with tire wear and fuel depletion. Balance of perfomance on. Starting from the back. And just race.
Really enjoy these type of races.
Or on kyoto with gr1 cars. Really cool track, especially with gr1 cars.

Egida

Oct 27, 2017
No sorry, around 25 hours to complete the singleplayer. Rest is just racing in lobbys making liverys, qualifying, etc.
Ok, that's what I was saying. If we are talking whether GTS single player content is somehow up to past games, 25 hours is far, very far from what they offered in the past.
Why would you do single player when you have a superbly balanced multi player?
What I said above.

watdaeff4

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Are..........are people really trying to act that if a game sells better that means it's a better game?

If so, then CoD is the GoTY every year