• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
I think I'm gonna need a new controller for Elden Ring, do you guys have any recommendations? Been thinking about the 8bitdo SN30+ for a while now.

My DS4 is not in its best state, but it's decent enough for the occasional Bloodborne/Demon's Souls/Uncharted playthrough, so I was thinking of getting a controller with better battery life instead of just replacing my PS4 controller.
I have the SN30 Pro+ and use it for PC, Switch, Dolphin, etc for a bunch of different genres. I imagine it'll work perfectly for Elden Ring.

It does not work on PS4, though, if that's what you were intending?

Dec 6, 2017
US
I was actually very happy to see a stealth system in the trailer. I'm the kind of person who always prefers rogues/thief type characters but they were always underwhelming in souls. I'm hoping Elden Ring could maybe up their feasibility somehow.

Actually, that's my favorite returning thing in the trailer. I mean it's basic but the stealth in Sekiro felt really fun and cool to me as just another angle of combat.

Oct 25, 2017
It's for my PC, yeah. How do you find it in terms of comfort and button quality? Ever played a Souls game with it?
Comfort and button quality feel on par with Nintendo Pro and PS Dual shock controllers imo but I also might not be as sensitive as others here to the differences. I know that 8bitdo and the SN30 Pro+ are really well regarded, though

It's a bit lighter than the DS4 (fractionally so) and much lighter than the Switch Pro so if you want a heavy controller then maybe it isn't for you

I haven't actually played a Souls game with it, but have a good sample otherwise: RDR2, Witcher 3, Cyber Shadow, Forza H 4, GnG Resurrection. No reason why it wouldn't perform perfectly for Souls games, but I can't actually speak to that tbh. Plan is to play Dark Souls Remastered fairly soon, though, so if I remember I can comment and @mention you

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
And all of a sudden it's no longer "just Dark Souls 4".
I fully agree, but... some people still call Sekiro a "Souls-like" despite it being a vastly different experience in terms of combat, mechanics, and traversal, just because it has not-bonfires and not-Estus. So, it's hopeless lol

Grudy

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
I fully agree, but... some people still call Sekiro a "Souls-like" despite it being a vastly different experience in terms of combat, mechanics, and traversal, just because it has not-bonfires and not-Estus. So, it's hopeless lol
But those are kinda the main mechanics which defined the souls games, to an extent at least. A reward system centered around difficult combat characterized by long distances between checkpoints and a healing item which defines how many mistakes you can make before you have to try again. I would also add exploration and a certain flair for almost-mystic, environmental storytelling in a non-linear fashion (something Sekiro still has, despite the stronger focus on presentation). Everything else like combat mechanics or traversal were honestly not as special when it comes to defining the souls games, at least I don't think they should be.

This is just my opinion of course but to me Sekiro is 100% a souls-like game, just in a different genre.

Jan 19, 2020
Bellingham
I would also argue that we may be getting some kind of skills on top of stats; I don't know any of that, of course, but I imagine Sekiro was a testing bed for passive and active skills. They would probably be tied to stat points or more unrealistically, a specific class, or they just say "put it in whatever you want, bro." Either way, I do think that they would want to expand on this idea, so passives that allow you to sneak more easily would be pretty legit for a rogue type character.
Yeah, I was just wondering if maybe they expanded the weapon arts system from DS3 to include more skills.

Vivaladragon

May 5, 2020
Wait I'm confused what's the "horned thing" you guys are talking about? Omni's post doesn't have an image for me. I just see this:

Broken-image-icon-in-Chrome.gif

Rhodan

Feb 8, 2020
I wonder if they'll have addressed some of the weapon variety issues of DS2/3 and found a middle ground. That's to say- there's so many weapons with little stat differences but no real unique traits to set them apart, and it ended up making the weapon roster feel a bit bloated. Bloodborne on the other hand had a very refined weapon roster. I've no doubt that it won't be anything like that Bloodborne level of uniqueness per weapon, but I hope that they'll go back on how restrictive some of that variety was. Removing e.g. bow infusions and no longer allowing unique weapons to be infused, or infused weapons to be buffed with spells, was also rather dissatisfying. Given ER seems to be an evolution of the Souls formula, I hope they'll address that kind of buildcrafting variety. It's a reason why DS2, despite its flaws, has some of the best build variety, whereas DS3 is rather samey. Refined 40/40 quality weapon and you're done.

fantalas

Nov 15, 2020
Hungary
I wonder if they'll have addressed some of the weapon variety issues of DS2/3 and found a middle ground. That's to say- there's so many weapons with little stat differences but no real unique traits to set them apart, and it ended up making the weapon roster feel a bit bloated. Bloodborne on the other hand had a very refined weapon roster. I've no doubt that it won't be anything like that Bloodborne level of uniqueness per weapon, but I hope that they'll go back on how restrictive some of that variety was. Removing e.g. bow infusions and no longer allowing unique weapons to be infused, or infused weapons to be buffed with spells, was also rather dissatisfying. Given ER seems to be an evolution of the Souls formula, I hope they'll address that kind of buildcrafting variety. It's a reason why DS2, despite its flaws, has some of the best build variety, whereas DS3 is rather samey. Refined 40/40 quality weapon and you're done.
I have a feeling that they won't really solve this, if anything, the larger gear variety will only exacerbate it... If they had a good plan for this, they would have solved it in DS3.

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2018
Omnipotent Can you elaborate on roaming enemies?

Initially Bloodborne touted enemies that would roam around, changing up the fixed, clockwork nature of DeS/DS to something more predictable but in the end you still found the same enemies in mostly the same places.

Does the open world nature of Elden Ring mean that you may find a super-difficult enemy from the other side of the map in an unexpected place? Is that the implication?

Rhodan

Feb 8, 2020
I have a feeling that they won't really solve this, if anything, the larger gear variety will only exacerbate it... If they had a good plan for this, they would have solved it in DS3.

While that's partly true, I think there is *some* degree of solution to it in DS3 already, just in a diminished way compared to the scale DS2 used with it. Giving some weapons different or unique R2s goes a long way in making them feel more varied; DS3 did very little of this across the board, and especially weapons like greataxes and polearms suffered from this.

AAFCC

Dec 2, 2019
Omnipotent Can you elaborate on roaming enemies?

Initially Bloodborne touted enemies that would roam around, changing up the fixed, clockwork nature of DeS/DS to something more predictable but in the end you still found the same enemies in mostly the same places.

Does the open world nature of Elden Ring mean that you may find a super-difficult enemy from the other side of the map in an unexpected place? Is that the implication?
Omni said in a post that it will be much more improved than bloodborne.
I think we can expect different type of enemies at night and roaming towering beasts while in the open world. Meaning that you can go from A to B and finding nothing, while , on your second journey from A to B you find a giant beast that hunts you and that it was not here before.

Oct 25, 2017
Comfort and button quality feel on par with Nintendo Pro and PS Dual shock controllers imo but I also might not be as sensitive as others here to the differences. I know that 8bitdo and the SN30 Pro+ are really well regarded, though

It's a bit lighter than the DS4 (fractionally so) and much lighter than the Switch Pro so if you want a heavy controller then maybe it isn't for you

I haven't actually played a Souls game with it, but have a good sample otherwise: RDR2, Witcher 3, Cyber Shadow, Forza H 4, GnG Resurrection. No reason why it wouldn't perform perfectly for Souls games, but I can't actually speak to that tbh. Plan is to play Dark Souls Remastered fairly soon, though, so if I remember I can comment and @mention you
Yeah, you're right, there's nothing in particular about Souls games that would make a difference, just trying to be extra careful, since it's pretty much the main use I have for my controllers. :P

But thank you for the impressions, just the fact that you'd put a third party controller on par with the official ones already says a lot about its quality. I adore the design as well, but unfortunately will go with the black version, since they stopped making the darker purple buttons, so the SNES callback isn't as strong. Also a bit worried that the concave buttons would grow old once I got over the nostalgia.

But yeah, I think I'll grab one in the near future, and just keep my slightly shitty DS4 for the PS4 alone, since I don't use it nearly as much.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
It's for my PC, yeah. How do you find it in terms of comfort and button quality? Ever played a Souls game with it?

Already answered, but I spent a bunch of time playing Dark Souls and more recently Nioh 2 with it, and it feels great. I used to use a DS4 on PC for those games, but a friend ended up getting me the SN30 Pro+ as an unexpected gift, so I started using it, and ended up liking it more due to the battery life. I like the feel of the d-pad and buttons more on the DS4, but it's not a night and day difference, the biggest difference between them being the d-pad. It's "fine" on the SN30, but I don't really like it for games that rely heavily on it.

The downside is the longevity of the contact pads. I don't know if I just got unlucky, but my "B" (X on a DS4) button wore out faster than I've ever had a button wear out on any controller ever. It literally started losing its springiness in only four months of light use, and the last time that happened with a controller was my original DS4 controller from the base system, and it didn't start wearing out until three years of heavy use. The pads are easy enough to replace, but if you want to get what 8BitDo actually uses, you need to email them, and they will send you the parts for free as long as you have proof that you actually own one of their controllers.

I did that, but they told me that it would take a few months for the parts to arrive. So I just ordered a second one, and I also ordered some pads that were for the original SNES controller since I read that those were supposed to work as well. They do, with a slight modification, because those in the SN30 look like the SNES pads, but they cut a bit of the side and top off of them. The actual contact points on the bottom of the pads have a much wider diameter too with the pads that 8BitDo use, but the SNES pads still work just fine. I wonder if the rubber wore out faster just because it was carrying more weight, and maybe what I replaced it with will be better.

Oct 25, 2017
And funnily enough, most of the main points of criticism Sekiro recieves is for not being enough of a Souls game, down to the very genre not being RPG being enough reason for criticism.

Naturally it's not the same people saying those things, but From's success in implementing so many different things is kind of showing its downside. People loved Souls games just as much as each other for vastly different reasons. The people who mainly came to those games for PVP for example have no reason whatsoever to like Sekiro or to be currently excited about Elden Ring, until they show the multiplayer systems, while I personally won't care even if they cancel multiplayer for Elden Ring, even though I do enjoy invasions quite a bit, and that was where I spent most of my time with DS3.

Already answered, but I spent a bunch of time playing Dark Souls and more recently Nioh 2 with it, and it feels great. I used to use a DS4 on PC for those games, but a friend ended up getting me the SN30 Pro+ as an unexpected gift, so I started using it, and ended up liking it more due to the battery life. I like the feel of the d-pad and buttons more on the DS4, but it's not a night and day difference, the biggest difference between them being the d-pad. It's "fine" on the SN30, but I don't really like it for games that rely heavily on it.

The downside is the longevity of the contact pads. I don't know if I just got unlucky, but my "B" (X on a DS4) button wore out faster than I've ever had a button wear out on any controller ever. It literally started losing its springiness in only four months of light, and the last time that happened with a controller was my original DS4 controller from the base system, and it didn't start wearing out until three years of heavy use. The pads are easy enough to replace, but if you want to get what 8BitDo actually uses, you need to email them, and they will send you the parts for free as long as you have proof that you actually own one of their controllers.

I did that, but they told me that it would take a few months for the parts to arrive. So I just ordered a second one, and I also ordered some pads that were for the original SNES controller since I read that those were supposed to work as well. They do, with a slight modification, because those in the SN30 look like the SNES pads, but they cut a bit of the side and top off of them. The actual contact points on the bottom of the pads have a much wider diameter too with the pads that 8BitDo use, but the SNES pads still work just fine. I wonder if the rubber wore out faster just because it was carrying more weight, and maybe what I replaced them with will be better.
Hmmmmm, that's very good to know. I don't think 8bitdo officially sells in my country, and I doubt any "unauthorized" retailer carrying the controllers would have replacement parts, even if I had to pay for them. I'm sure they'd be willing to ship those parts to me internationally, but it would take too long to arrive, and likely be taxed.

I'm scared of just grabbing a DualSense because of how many people having drifting issues, and while I love the feel of the DS4, the battery time has always been annoying. If only they still made DS3s...

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
I'm scared of just grabbing a DualSense because of how many people having drifting issues, and while I love the feel of the DS4, the battery time has always been annoying. If only they still made DS3s...

Yeah, no shit. It's mainly a battery issue though. Couldn't believe how seemingly low capacity it was on the DS4, but it honestly seems like much of it has to do with the stupid blazing sensor light on the front. I used to use DS4Windows just to shut that crap off on PC, and it seemed to actually help with the battery life by quite a bit, and I've also noticed that once Steam finally let you use a Playstation controller and customize it (by turning the light completely off) it seemed to last better than when playing any game on the PS4. Never understood why they never gave the option on the console to turn it completely off. Made zero sense.

I have a DualSense, but haven't bothered to connect it to the PC yet. The only game I bothered playing with it so far was Demon's Souls, and it felt fine. Might have issues with a shooter, but I haven't played any yet. I really like the face buttons on it though, and the d-pad is amazing. Never owned a Vita, but I can only imagine it was something similar.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, no shit. It's mainly a battery issue though. Couldn't believe how seemingly low capacity it was on the DS4, but it honestly seems like much of it has to do with the stupid blazing sensor light on the front. I used to use DS4Windows just to shut that crap off on PC, and it seemed to actually help with the battery life by quite a bit, and I've also noticed that once Steam finally let you use a Playstation controller and customize it (by turning the light completely off) it seemed to last better than when playing any game on the PS4. Never understood why they never gave the option on the console to turn it completely off. Made zero sense.
I actually frequently check my controller settings on the PS4 to make sure it's really set to the lowest brightness possible, because that shit is still way too strong. Thanks, Sony.

I have a DualSense, but haven't bothered to connect it to the PC yet. The only game I bothered playing with it so far was Demon's Souls, and it felt fine. Might have issues with a shooter, but I haven't played any yet. I really like the face buttons on it though, and the d-pad is amazing. Never owned a Vita, but I can only imagine it was something similar.
That's really high praise. Hmmm. If I wait until at least Silksong to get a new controller, surely they'll have revisions to fix the common drifting issues by then.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
The downside is the longevity of the contact pads. I don't know if I just got unlucky, but my "B" (X on a DS4) button wore out faster than I've ever had a button wear out on any controller ever. It literally started losing its springiness in only four months of light use, and the last time that happened with a controller was my original DS4 controller from the base system, and it didn't start wearing out until three years of heavy use.
Do you know how common this issue is? First I've heard of it, but yeah perhaps it's more common with 8bitdo controllers vs Nintendo or Sony.

Edit - my last post on the topic as we're no longer talking Elden Ring or Souls. I'll follow up on DM if I have anything else

Rhodan

Feb 8, 2020
Is the Era discord still rather chaotic? Last I recall I left because someone kept being purposely annoying and pinging. If stuff's quieted down a little I'd love an invite.

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
Sounding like a broken record but I don't care... bring back the dash 🙏

Look at how elegant this shit is

94xPxEq.gif

now compare to this

s4d6EpR.gif

why lol

Omnipotent

User requested ban
Banned
Feb 28, 2021
I genuinely don't get what people have against the roll, it's fine. You're dashing around in Bloodborne because you're wearing leather, you're not going to be dashing around in Havel's gear even with his ring on.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I like both too, lol. I also play a lot unlocked in Bloodborne, so I don't even associate "dash instead of roll" with Bloodborne, because I use both all the time.

Something from Bloodborne that I do think would be to Elden Ring's benefit would be the charged R2 to setup backstab thing. I didn't mind it not returning in Dark Souls III because I think it's a good thing to have unique systems for each game to make them all worth revisiting, but with stealth being a thing in Elden Ring, making regular backstabs a little more troublesome would be for the best, in terms of balancing. Why waste time crouch walking for stealth kills if I can just circle the enemy and backstab them a couple of times for the same damage, you know?

random88

Oct 25, 2017
Not US
I think it would be nice if dash was dependent on your gear. Like if you are heavy, you can only roll, but if you heave some lighter armor, you can also dash when you lock on. Or if it was tied to a specific set or some item like Dark Wood Grain Ring.

Oct 25, 2017
I think it would be nice if dash was dependent on your gear. Like if you are heavy, you can only roll, but if you heave some lighter armor, you can also dash when you lock on. Or if it was tied to a specific set or some item like Dark Wood Grain Ring.
Yeah, that would be nice. I don't share people's distaste for rolling, but I definitely like the dashing a lot more than the ninja flips.

Adryuu

Master of the Wind
Oct 27, 2017
I genuinely don't get what people have against the roll, it's fine. You're dashing around in Bloodborne because you're wearing leather, you're not going to be dashing around in Havel's gear even with his ring on.

Rolling inside Havel's set doesn't seem more realistic or anything, to me.

Apart from that, it's visually less appealing (I hate rolling jumps too like in metroid), and in the case of souls it's slower and breaks the pace more in comparison.

If it was dependant on gear I'd wear leather 90% of the time. Or even 50/50, Dex build leather, str build armour. It would be cool as an option yeah.

Baloota

May 12, 2018
Egypt
Dashing in Bloodborne suites the game speed. If you add dashing to elden ring and elden ring combat is slower or on par with ds3 i don't see how dashing would benefit the gameplay. There was some kind of dashing in ds3 and it wasn't fast nor elegant. Everything will have to be adjusted to the game speed and the result might not be as impressive

AGJTX

Jan 28, 2020
Yeah, I like both too, lol. I also play a lot unlocked in Bloodborne, so I don't even associate "dash instead of roll" with Bloodborne, because I use both all the time.

Something from Bloodborne that I do think would be to Elden Ring's benefit would be the charged R2 to setup backstab thing. I didn't mind it not returning in Dark Souls III because I think it's a good thing to have unique systems for each game to make them all worth revisiting, but with stealth being a thing in Elden Ring, making regular backstabs a little more troublesome would be for the best, in terms of balancing. Why waste time crouch walking for stealth kills if I can just circle the enemy and backstab them a couple of times for the same damage, you know?
We see crouching backstabs in the leaked footage, it could be that we need to be a crouching state to activate it, but who knows honestly. This game does seem to have this emphasis on classes, so I wouldn't be surprised if they tried some passives along those lines. That or they could just do what they always do in DS, haha.

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017

Huh... you think it's makes more sense to roll in a Havel gear instead of a dash?

If I tried to roll in Havel's gear I wouldn't be able to leave the ground anymore lol

It would make more sense to reduce the dash distance the more weight you were wearing. Rolling doesn't make sense whatsoever and it looks super goofy.

Adryuu

Master of the Wind
Oct 27, 2017
Dashing in Bloodborne suites the game speed. If you add dashing to elden ring and elden ring combat is slower or on par with ds3 i don't see how dashing would benefit the gameplay. There was some kind of dashing in ds3 and it wasn't fast nor elegant. Everything will have to be adjusted to the game speed and the result might not be as impressive

Honestly, I think it's less this and more a matter of finding and tuning the right animation. Rolling feels just unnatural in most instances, if not all.

Dashing would need distance and speed adjusted. I figure the real problem would be hitboxes, aside from pure visual feedback and fancy.

And yup dash in DS3 was crap. Didn't use it, it was disappointing.

Huh... you think it's makes more sense to roll in a Havel gear instead of a dash?

If I tried to roll in Havel's gear I wouldn't be able to leave the ground anymore lol

It would make more sense to reduce the dash distance the more weight you were wearing. Rolling doesn't make sense whatsoever and it looks super goofy.

Exactly.

Has anyone even tried *moving* in an actual leather vest? Like the ones used for HEMA for example. Add metal in the vest, a 5 kg sword and try launching yourself on the floor and then getting up in an instant...

Oct 25, 2017
The DS3 dagger dash is great to move around in Farron's Keep. That's the only time I ever use it, but I even go out of my way to equip a dagger in unrelated builds for that weapon art whenever I'm in the swamp.

Grudy

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
I vote for dashing too. To me it makes the hunter/player character seem more adept and skillful than rolling ever did.

Also it looks way better in PvP or against humanoid enemies.

Two players rolling around in PvP always looked ridiculous lol.

Kazuhira

Oct 26, 2017
Sounding like a broken record but I don't care... bring back the dash 🙏

Look at how elegant this shit is

94xPxEq.gif

now compare to this

s4d6EpR.gif

why lol

Not the same but you can use the quickstep weapon skill in 3 at least.
They should've put the BB dash into a ring tho, like the carthus ring.
Now that i think about it, how come there's not a mod for that? At least i'm not aware of one.

Omnipotent

User requested ban
Banned
Feb 28, 2021
If we're going to use the "realism" argument then there is a plethora of things that you shouldn't physically be able to accomplish but are able to because you have superhuman abilities.

Beyond that, Hunters are supposed to be elegant trained monster slayers, in From's medieval RPGs you're generally just some guy. You're not fulfilling any role or profession because with build variety you could be anyone. A wizard, a rogue, a knight, etc.

But there is at least some consistent internal logic in that when wearing heavier armor you're more likely to use weight and momentum to launch yourself out of the way as opposed to weightlessly jumping backwards or side to side and its not like rolling doesn't have its place in real world combat, albeit not with swords and shields, but people with swords and shields generally fought each other and not gods and monsters and again, also weren't superhuman.

Neither are really any more realistic than the other. Its just a matter of what From thinks fits the setting.

Whether or not it looks better is just a matter of opinion. I personally don't have a problem with and actually like rolling in these games.

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
I vote for dashing too. To me it makes the hunter/player character seem more adept and skillful than rolling ever did.

Also it looks way better in PvP or against humanoid enemies.

Two players rolling around in PvP always looked ridiculous lol.

Man I missed that side dash attack in the gif when playing Dark Souls 3, just so damn good at covering distance allowing you to counter attack faster.

The rolling is fine:

That dude is definitely above 70%

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
It's really hard to say which one I prefer. Robbing cloth, leather, light armor users of a dash just because it doesn't make sense in Havel's set is not good. There needs to be a certain amount of video gameyness to these titles. That same argument applies to questions on how realistic the mounts should feel. It affects more than that though. A roll or a dash directly ties into the speed of the overall game and how the enemies movesets are designed.

Mar 21, 2018
Omni said in a post that it will be much more improved than bloodborne.
I think we can expect different type of enemies at night and roaming towering beasts while in the open world. Meaning that you can go from A to B and finding nothing, while , on your second journey from A to B you find a giant beast that hunts you and that it was not here before.

I see. Hopefully that's the case as I love the idea of being completely surprised when revisiting a familiar place.