• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How do you view the new Nintendo Switch model in terms of a hardware upgrade?

• As a mid-gen refresh (e.g. Xbox One S → Xbox One X, etc.)

Votes: 114 48.7%
  • As an iterative successor (e.g. iPhone 11 → iPhone 12, etc.)

Votes: 120 51.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
Tell that to Switch devs that said that alongside CPU, Switch memory bandwidth is biggest Switch bottleneck,
fact is that low memory bandwidth is limiting factor in pushing games visuals (for instance more textures or higher resolution textures).
Yes, the Switch's memory bus couldn't handle the GPU and CPU's needs, but efficiencies are much higher on newer architectures, and the memory bandwidth I'm discussing is much larger than the current models... if I can lift 25lbs and I'm lifting the GPU and the CPU, but together they are 35lbs, I have a problem. If I can lift 88lbs and I have a 50lbs GPU and a 25lbs CPU, I can lift that. So yeah it's probably going to actually need me to lift 90lbs, so bottlenecks can occur, but this is a lot better than the current situation. The main thing I'm trying to get across is a system's memory bandwidth is sort of about what that system needs. The PS4 had a GPU and CPU that required that 176GB/s of memory bandwidth, the Switch only needs probably 30-35GB/s of memory bandwidth, if it had that, it would no longer be a bottleneck, that make sense?
How you would be shocked when you several times you wrote that you expecting 256GB? :D
I don't expect it, I think it could happen, just like I think I could win my fantasy league, doesn't mean I expect to.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Considering a GT 1030 can play games like Jedi Fallen Order and Red Dead 3, the Switch Pro will be fine

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Here is some specs we can talk about in the meantime:
GPU: 1.2TFLOPs Ampere (about the same as XB1S), features DLSS, basically turning the device into something right between a PS4 and a PS4 Pro when docked.
CPU: 8 A78C cores at 1.2GHz (better than any last gen console)
RAM: 8GB at 88GB/s
Storage: 256GB UFS 2.1 (850MB/s)
Handheld 700GFLOPs + DLSS to achieve better than XB1S performance, 720p MiniLCD display.

This is a low ball spec, I think we might see 1.5TFLOPs and 1.5GHz 8 core CPU, but Nintendo often surprises me, so lets go with a ~2.5x increase in performance here, which seems reasonable given Mariko could have provided a ~2x increase.
720p doesn't sound right to me.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
In handheld, something like a XB1 or PS4 after DLSS, but with a much better CPU.
In docked, something twice as good as a XB1 or PS4 after DLSS, still with a much better CPU. The PS4 Pro is a 4.2TFLOPs machine, the specs I gave just 4 posts above your post, would be like a ~3TFLOPs version of a PS4 Pro, something right between the PS4 and PS4 Pro, this is on the low end and only realistic because of DLSS.

And as compared to a Series S?

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
And as compared to a Series S?
What I outlined above is sort of what I believe the minimum specs probably is. I said thanks to DLSS, it would seem like a 3TFLOPs PS4 Pro with a better CPU, the PS4 Pro is 4.2TFLOPs, the XSS has a 25% increase in performance over GCN, so it's 4TFLOPs actually is more like 5TFLOPs PS4 Pro with a better CPU.

so ~3/5th of a XSS after DLSS.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Jokes aside, a system allowing you to chose additional ways to save battery would be great. Now we can adjust the scree brightness, but being able to work on the resolution would be nice as well
While you would save on GPU consumption, you wouldn't save much on screen consumption. You're still illumination 1920x1080 pixels, regardless of your source resolution. If Nintendo had a pixel perfect mode and an oled screen, then you'd see savings

b3llydrum

Feb 21, 2018
Great, new thread. I hope we get an official announcement this year because otherwise I'll go crazy.

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
Considering a GT 1030 can play games like Jedi Fallen Order and Red Dead 3, the Switch Pro will be fine

It'd be pretty nice if the 1030 ran Red Dead 3 but maybe slow down there

edit: just remembered revolver exists, so i guess you're right
720p doesn't sound right to me.
It's weird because I want 720p for backwards compatibility but I'm not sure it's actually all that great for games built with the machine in mind.

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
it begins.....

in a new thread

great work on the compilation OP!

Oct 28, 2017
Netherlands
Have been a lurker throughout the last thread but just wanted to say thank you to thread regulars like z0mbie, thugstas, Alovon11, Thraktor for always keeping the discussion interesting. Looking forward to what this thread is going to offer up.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Amazon still uses 600p screens in their Fire 7 tablet. And the Fire HD 8 is still 720p. That's a pretty good indicator that lower-resolution screens are still cheaper.

Okay yeah, then 720p seems likely. Unless they really really want to push VR but I can see a more premium SKU doing that instead.

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
Be careful with that. even if true.... first batch are always low profile
Can you clarify what you mean by "first batch are always low profile"? I am not asking for information or hints, I just don't understand what you wrote. As far as I am concerned you can explain with an example using fish... (or escargots since you're French 😂)

Added: Just to clarify why this is not clear to me: the way I read what you write, you meant be to careful with all these predictions because the revision might initially ("first batch") be lower powered than the predictions. But that doesn't make sense, either it is lower powered or it isn't, unless you think there are several revisions that are going to come out one after the other (?) But you also wrote "always" ("first batch are always"). And usually revisions don't come in batches. So I just don't understand what you wrote

Last edited:

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
Here is some specs we can talk about in the meantime:
GPU: 1.2TFLOPs Ampere (about the same as XB1S), features DLSS, basically turning the device into something right between a PS4 and a PS4 Pro when docked.
CPU: 8 A78C cores at 1.2GHz (better than any last gen console)
RAM: 8GB at 88GB/s
Storage: 256GB UFS 2.1 (850MB/s)
Handheld 700GFLOPs + DLSS to achieve better than XB1S performance, 720p MiniLCD display.

This is a low ball spec, I think we might see 1.5TFLOPs and 1.5GHz 8 core CPU, but Nintendo often surprises me, so lets go with a ~2.5x increase in performance here, which seems reasonable given Mariko could have provided a ~2x increase.
That's the most realistic one i've seen so far, though is 8 cores actually feasible in terms of cost? Why wouldn't they just stick to 4 cores; 8 makes last gen ports immensely easier to port over, as well as the RAM but just wondering

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
That's the most realistic one i've seen so far, though is 8 cores actually feasible in terms of cost? Why wouldn't they just stick to 4 cores; 8 makes last gen ports immensely easier to port over, as well as the RAM but just wondering

I'm no expert but I think I remember in the last thread people saying that A78 cores don't come in a 4 core package, they come in either 6 or 8. At least in standard applications.

Tora

Jun 17, 2018
I'm no expert but I think I remember in the last thread people saying that A78 cores don't come in a 4 core package, they come in either 6 or 8. At least in standard applications.
Ahh interesting, thanks!

I imagine that one core reserved for the OS would be a lot more capable compared to the current setup on Switch

oneroom

Dec 26, 2020
My concern is that if a console like the one speculated in the thread were to happen, Nintendo might demand $60 for DLSS updates for games they've already released.
They demanded $60 for Skyward Sword HD which does not utilize DLSS
I don't get it, but it seems Nintendo (Zelda) fans are willing to pay for it
Maybe $60 is an exaggeration lol.
But it does seem possible that if Nintendo supports DLSS they could charge money in return.

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
My concern is that if a console like the one speculated in the thread were to happen, Nintendo might demand $60 for DLSS updates for games they've already released.
But it does seem possible that if Nintendo supports DLSS they could charge money in return.
We do love our capitalism. Still skyward sword is a 10 year old game with like 3.7M copies over it's life on a platform that passed 100 Million units. The game more than any other Zelda needed an HD make over, and the controls need to be reworked. I don't even think I'm getting it, I didn't really like it the first time I played it, and as big of a fan of the series I am, the series needed a reboot, this game showed.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017

Skyward Sword is a game that not only needed to be ported to a brand new platform with wildly different architecture, it also needed a major overhaul in terms of controls and visuals. You may not believe that's worth $60 (and that's fine) but that's not even remotely similar to the amount of work needed to implement DLSS.

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
Nah, I'm just not expecting DLSS updates at all for prior games. Potentially resolution and frame target bumps but nothing more.

Deleted member 32106

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 9, 2017
$60? Pfffff, nextgen is always about $70

Sep 29, 2019
I was thinking about how major the whole implementation of DLSS into mobile chips can be. I am not sure if it has been hinted either the possible Switch 'Pro' will have a Tegra chip with DLSS capabilities or the dock will have a chipset that enables the DLSS features (or something of the sorts), but if it's a mobile chip, it's actually a big feature! Having this top-tier technology on a mobile chip would be really great for many different applications. Glad to see Nvidia trying to step a bit into this world, A.I in mobile enviroments are really helpful.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I was thinking about how major the whole implementation of DLSS into mobile chips can be. I am not sure if it has been hinted either the possible Switch 'Pro' will have a Tegra chip with DLSS capabilities or the dock will have a chipset that enables the DLSS features (or something of the sorts), but if it's a mobile chip, it's actually a big feature! Having this top-tier technology on a mobile chip would be really great for many different applications. Glad to see Nvidia trying to step a bit into this world, A.I in mobile enviroments are really helpful.

DLSS in the dock is not possible, DLSS requires direct input from and to the renderer. So if it's in this device it will be in the mobile chip.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Chip cost is a function of the size, not the core counts. 8 cores are more expensive because they're larger, but if the chip size is smaller thanks to 8nm, then it's whatever. They're gonna clock this low so yields will be good anyway. That's a lot of chips per wafer
Ahh interesting, thanks!

I imagine that one core reserved for the OS would be a lot more capable compared to the current setup on Switch
A78s do come in 4 core set ups. You're thinking of the A78c

Tora

Jun 17, 2018
Chip cost is a function of the size, not the core counts. 8 cores are more expensive because they're larger, but if the chip size is smaller thanks to 8nm, then it's whatever. They're gonna clock this low so yields will be good anyway. That's a lot of chips per wafer

A78s do come in 4 core set ups. You're thinking of the A78c
Thanks for the clarification, appreciate it

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
All this 720p talk has me curious; if that does end up being the screen resolution, would this be a significant upgrade for those with 1080p TVs? It'd be noticable, sure, but I'm not confident it'd be worth the cost of upgrading for a while.

RennanNT

Dec 2, 2020
People wouldn't pay that much for graphical upgrades. People are paying that because they want to play on the Switch, not on Wii or Wii U, and because of extra content.

If there's one thing to be truly concerned, it would be Nintendo using the opportunity to charge $70 as well.

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
It's DLSS on the mobile chip, it's part of the rendering pipeline, so it can't be separated from the GPU currently. Nvidia has a technology that can take a displayed image and upscale it via AI done on the cuda cores, it has some good results, the old thread had a post about the experiment too.

Anyways yeah mobile GPU with DLSS is crazy stuff, talking about doubling the performance of mobile hardware.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
This is a very nice compilation thread. Was just trying to separate rumor from speculation yesterday.

YolkFolk

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The North, England

Makes me laugh when people think 'Nintendo fans' make up anything other than a small % of the Switch audience. Look to the Wii U to see how many Nintendo fans are really out there.

The vast majority of people buying games on Switch are just normal people buying games for their console. Some probably won't even be aware Skyward Sword was an older game as is the case with some of the Wii U ports.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
All this 720p talk has me curious; if that does end up being the screen resolution, would this be a significant upgrade for those with 1080p TVs? It'd be noticable, sure, but I'm not confident it'd be worth the cost of upgrading for a while.
I'd say yes. It means more games potentially at a higher frame rate and IQ