• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Salamiaddict

May 15, 2018
Northern Germany
It seems very "Nintendo" not to bank in on BOTW's success, but I wish they would just do it this one time, to make us fans (who prefer single player games) happy.
When I hear Co-op or Multiplayer Zelda I can feel my heart stop beating for a few seconds...

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
My uncle who got drunk last month with Kamiya in the Big Echo Karaoke of Nishi-Kawaguchi told me that Platinum is involved in the next mainline zelda; they basically design the combat system. Apparently it wasn't a joke as he sent me a short video taken on mobile, but my dog ate the phone this morning.

Batatina

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh, UK
I think this one will use the formula of BOTW and just iterate on it. I'm very excited to see the more polished version of that design and have a stronger story to back it.

Last edited:

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
When I hear Co-op or Multiplayer Zelda I can feel my heart stop beating for a few seconds...

Bit late for that. every single generation for just under two decades has had at least some form of co-op Zelda release.

GBA/GC had four swords and four swords adventures.
DSi had four swords anniversary edition which was significantly expanded over the original.
3ds had triforce heroes.

It's unlikely the switch breaks this pattern.

Salamiaddict

May 15, 2018
Northern Germany
Bit late for that. every single generation for just under two decades has had at least some form of co-op Zelda release.

DSi had four swords anniversary edition which was significantly expanded over the original.
3ds had triforce heroes.

I know... still I pray to god that the Switch will be the breaker of the pattern!
#TeamTopDownZelda

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
It seems very "Nintendo" not to bank in on BOTW's success, but I wish they would just do it this one time, to make us fans (who prefer single player games) happy.
Aonuma already said in december 2017 that next 3D Zelda is in production and that it will be a BOTW-style game, "as open as BOTW".
But the next Zelda we're talking about here is probably the next top down Zelda a la ALBW, since both Hiromasa Shikata and Shiro Mouri have not worked on any released game since A Link Between Worlds (2013) and Tri Force Heroes (2016).
It'll be 3 years since Tri Force Heroes so it could be ready for 2019.
Also, Imran clearly says it's not a multiplayer title. So it's probably a traditional top down Zelda like ALBW.

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017
We rarely get a zelda-less year, and untill now 2018 lacked anything zelda. So I'd say 2019 will get a Zelda title for sure.

2017: BoTW
2016: Tri Force Heroes
2016: Twilight Princess HD
2015: Majora's Mask 3DS
2013: Wind Waker HD
2013: A Link Between Worlds
2011: OoT 3DS
2011: Skyward Sword
2011: Four Swords Anniversary

2012 was a notorious Zelda-less year. 2014 had the original Hyrule Warriors to fill the Zelda fix.
I expect a smaller game in 2019, and the BoTW sequel in 2020.

Yeah, I susspect that they didnt want to release some kind of Zelda game in 2018. because BotW has crazy legs,
but in 2019. we are defintly getting at least some kind of Zelda game, and again in 2020. also.

tenderbrew

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I mean the next mobile games are supposed to be Mario Kart, then Zelda. It's probably that tbh.

But things I would love (at least eventually):

of course a BOTW sequel
a new top-down 2D entry (toon link hopefully)
Zelda Maker
Both HD remakes re-released for Switch (maybe in a pack?)
Hyrule Warriors 2

Tons of places they can go.

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017
I am pretty sure that Nintendo has couple of Zelda project in development, and most likely we talking about:

-new 3D Zelda
-new 2D (topdown) Zelda
-ports of Zelda games released on previous platforms (potential games like WW/TP HD, OoT/MM 3D HD, SS HD, ALBW HD).

Me bet for next year is 2D Zelda or some Zelda port, or both of them, and brand new 3D Zelda for 2020.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
most of us were expecting a 2D/Top-Down or whatever game next year though.

so if it's sooner than we think....it's coming out tomorrow

Oct 29, 2017
This guy knows absolute jack. Whether or not another Zelda game is coming soonish has nothing to do with his grandstanding here.

Ronnie

Alt-Account
Oct 31, 2018

3ds had triforce heroes.

Um, "every single generation for two decades" ... conveniently ignoring the N64, Wii, Wii U and the fact that it's basically Four Swords, Four Swords Adventures and Tri Force Heroes. 19 core Zelda games and three of them have been co-op.

Prof Bathtub

Apr 26, 2018
Since we've seen the 2D prototyping they used for BotW, I wonder if different design ideas were sparked among the 2D Zelda team through the use of such tools (this is not saying Zelda Maker is happening, but that BotW's prototyping phrase might have generated a number of concepts that Aonuma & co thought were better suited for top-down.)

BowieZ

Nov 7, 2017
I'd expect something closer to A Link Between Worlds for the Switch next year- something of a palate cleanser, rather than another huge sandbox game.
This. It'll have been six years since ALBW. It's time!

HD 2D Zelda using many of ALBW assets, with playable Zelda for co-op, making use of the joy-con pair... could include some sidescroller sections, perhaps an expanded wall-merging moveset?

Prediction: The Legend of Zelda: A Link With Destiny

LastCupOfBullets

Alt account
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
It's time for a MM-style freaky entry. Like the 3DS game taking after ALttP, a smaller scale insane entry is needed.

Still my favorite Zelda title to this day. Majora's Mask changed my life when it came out for the N64. It was so much different than anything I had played in my life up to that point and I started with an Atari 2600, lol.

Onilink

Oct 30, 2017
We rarely get a zelda-less year, and untill now 2018 lacked anything zelda. So I'd say 2019 will get a Zelda title for sure.

2017: BoTW
2016: Tri Force Heroes
2016: Twilight Princess HD
2015: Majora's Mask 3DS
2013: Wind Waker HD
2013: A Link Between Worlds
2011: OoT 3DS
2011: Skyward Sword
2011: Four Swords Anniversary

2012 was a notorious Zelda-less year. 2014 had the original Hyrule Warriors to fill the Zelda fix.
I expect a smaller game in 2019, and the BoTW sequel in 2020.

Hyrule warriors this year

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
Since we were all expecting a top down Zelda for 2019, and Imran says it's coming "sooner than what we might think", a reveal for The Game Awards or for a january direct seems probable.
A TGA reveal seems really possible since BOTW was the star of last year's show, winning a shit ton of awards, being the GOTY and having the DLC's reveal and the "available tonight after the show".

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'll take a guess then and predict it will be released in the first half of 2020. 2019 seems pretty jam packed at this moment, so I'd be a little shocked to see a new Zelda get slotted in there too. Perhaps it could be a WW HD/TP HD port if a 2019 release was the case?

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully it's a breath of the wild asset flip (sort of like how Majora's Mask was a OOT flip). Build on the game's strengths and fix the flaws.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
Since we were all expecting a top down Zelda for 2019, and Imran says it's coming "sooner than what we might think", a reveal for The Game Awards or for a january direct seems probable.
A TGA reveal seems really possible since BOTW was the star of last year's show, winning a shit ton of awards, being the GOTY and having the DLC's reveal and the "available tonight after the show".

I say let Metroid Prime 4 have Nintendo's spotlight at the TGAs and keep whatever possible Zelda thing for january.

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
If the press already know about it, either will release very or is being developed by other than Nintendo.

To be honest, as much as I love Zelda, I wish that team had the opportunity to work in something different. Mario kart team had their chance with arms, and so did the team that made Splatoon. It's about time Nintendo create another action adventure franchise, there will be no better timing than right now.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
They obviously are making an iterative sequel to BotW.

I've always been in the camp of "BotW was shallow but a prototype for a great new formula" so I think a sequel is going to be the difference of quality like Assassin's Creed 1 vs Assassin's Creed 2. It's going to be the true masterpiece where the content itself really shines with depth and the story doesn't feel as meh.

Mobu

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
If the press already know about it, either will release very or is being developed by other than Nintendo.

To be honest, as much as I love Zelda, I wish that team had the opportunity to work in something different. Mario kart team had their chance with arms, and so did the team that made Splatoon. It's about time Nintendo create another action adventure franchise, there will be no better timing than right now.
Huh botw made zelda into a big deal again, this is the worst time to have the zelda team work on something else

Xun

Oct 25, 2017
London

Aonuma did mention the "thief game" a while back, but I'm pretty sure he was alluding to a spinoff (even if he did say new IP).

I don't see any reason as to why the "Zelda team" couldn't split in any case.

K' Dash

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
It's time for a MM-style freaky entry. Like the 3DS game taking after ALttP, a smaller scale insane entry is needed.

tenor.gif

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Huh botw made zelda into a big deal again, this is the worst time to have the zelda team work on something else
Only if you want to milk the franchise.
You can't follow up botw with a lesser game, compare the impact that ocarina had with the one majora and wind waker had (games that came out quickly). Almost neglibe.

Look at GTA v, the success of that game made possible for rockstar to focus in something else, and while some complained about "where's GTA?" a year ago or so, nobody is complaining now.

tenderbrew

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Only if you want to milk the franchise.
You can't follow up botw with a lesser game, compare the impact that ocarina had with the one majora and wind waker had (games that came out quickly). Almost neglibe.

Look at GTA v, the success of that game made possible for rockstar to focus in something else, and while some complained about "where's GTA?" a year ago or so, nobody is complaining now.

Um this is a bad take because Majora's Mask and Windwaker are both incredible. I don't care what their "impact" was, amazing games. If we get similar quality follow ups I'll be quite happy.

That being said I still think this allusion is to the mobile game they already announced.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Why are people suddenly doubting Imran again after the Grinch leak nonsense where he was harassed for being absolutely right?