Status
Not open for further replies.

Gigglepoo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Rephrase: S5 will be seen as good compared to the rest of the series. 1-3 are the best seasons, then there's a dip in S4, another dip in S5, and it just keeps going down after that. But I think S5 is the last season that, as a whole, was still good.

Things have been undermined by illogical character motivations and unfeeling efficiency since then.

EDIT -- And I did really like this episode. But as Joanna Robinson has been saying for years, it's just a different show now.

Last edited:

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
Wait so do casual audiences like Season 5? Or basically what are the complaints casual audiences have for the show? Like I assume they thought burning Shireen didn't make sense for Stannis' character.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone remember off the top of their head what Dany's baby looked like when it was born? Was it ever said in the books?

"Twisted. I drew him forth myself. He was scaled like a lizard,
blind, with the stub of a tail and small leather wings like the wings of a bat. When I
touched him, the flesh sloughed off the bone, and inside he was full of graveworms and
the stink of corruption. He had been dead for years."

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
"Twisted. I drew him forth myself. He was scaled like a lizard,
blind, with the stub of a tail and small leather wings like the wings of a bat. When I
touched him, the flesh sloughed off the bone, and inside he was full of graveworms and
the stink of corruption. He had been dead for years."

How could he be dead for years though...

Is there something that is repeatedly trying to birth itself through Targaryens and failing?

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Rephrase: S5 will be seen as good compared to the rest of the series. 1-3 are the best seasons, then there's a dip in S4, another dip in S5, and it just keeps going down after that. But I think S5 is the last season that, as a whole, was still good.

Things have been undermined by illogical character motivations and unfeeling efficiency since then.

EDIT -- And I did really like this episode. But as Joanna Robinson has been saying for years, it's just a different show now.

To answer without the snark. I mostly disagree with this. I think the writing completely goes to shit on season 5 and it never gets better, on that much i agree. What makes s.5 much worse than latter seasons for me is that it's extremely devoid of anything interesting other than Hardhome. It's just plain boring and disposable. And terribly directed for the most part. 6 and 7 are still badly written, but in a dumb Hollywood blockbuster kind of way. Nothing makes much sense but it's snappy, spectacular and full of great moments amidst the shit dialogue and weak characterization.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
The witch cursed and transformed Dany's pregnancy into whatever it was that came out.
The pregnancy was cursed after Dany was brought into the tent right? Jorah is another great idiot. Was told explicitly not to bring her into the tent, and does so anyways. As if the Dothraki didn't have wet nurses he could have taken her to 😐

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The way Shireen died was horrible. Stannis should never have done it, instead they could have just had his fanatic wife do it in his back because she's the nutso one.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
The way Shireen died was horrible. Stannis should never have done it, instead they could have just had his fanatic wife do it in his back because she's the nutso one.
I still don't get the reasoning as to why Stannis couldn't wait out the storm at Castle Black. I always speed watch through season 5 on repeats, so I may not remember what the reasoning was.

John Dunbar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I still don't get the reasoning as to why Stannis couldn't wait out the storm at Castle Black. I always speed watch through season 5 on repeats, so I may not remember what the reasoning was.
that just reminds me, wasn't "winter" have supposed to come ages ago? the north seems rather nice, with the vale army and now the unsullied getting to winterfell all nice and easy.

and where is the undead army hiding? how did dany and jon not see them when flying? has bran spotted them with ravens? might have done that before sending ned umber lol.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
It could take years for Winter to end
But Jon did the same thing shortly afterwards and it wasn't years later. Or is that tied into the Shireen sacrifice? LoL is dogy if it's demanding sacrifices that would result in their rewards being intended for others.

and where is the undead army hiding? how did dany and jon not see them when flying? has bran spotted them with ravens? might have done that before sending ned umber lol.

If only someone wheeled Bran into the main Hall when Sansa was telling the kid to ride back home, Bran could have been like, "yeah about that..."

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
The pregnancy was cursed after Dany was brought into the tent right? Jorah is another great idiot. Was told explicitly not to bring her into the tent, and does so anyways. As if the Dothraki didn't have wet nurses he could have taken her to 😐

It's not like the priestess was going to heal him anyway. Drogo was dead(ish) as soon as she was allowed to put her hands on him.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
It's not like the priestess was going to heal him anyway. Drogo was dead(ish) as soon as she was allowed to put her hands on him.
Right! It's odd to me that a man like Jorah who has seen war and understands wounds and what not, wouldn't be at all suspicious that a scratch turned into what it did. Especially considering that Dothraki shrug off worse than that all the time due to their warring nature.

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
Season 5 is by far the lowest point of the show. Season 6 and 7 might have their fair shair of problems but at least it kept the entertainement and spectacle value at a decent level. Season 5 was so important to transition to the post ASOS material and so many baffling decisions were made. Merging Sansa with fArya, Dorne, Stannis... Even Dany riding Drogon was kind of lame, when I loved that part in the books.

It has Hardhome though, which is still one of the best book to show liberties they've ever taken.

John Dunbar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Right! It's odd to me that a man like Jorah who has seen war and understands wounds and what not, wouldn't be at all suspicious that a scratch turned into what it did. Especially considering that Dothraki shrug off worse than that all the time due to their warring nature.
i would think that before people understood how infections worked, people becoming sick and dying after getting minor wounds was rather common.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Just noticed, in Dany's vision at the Undying, she puts down the torch on the floor. Figuratively representing her abandoning Fire & Blood/Dragons?

On another topic, the Iron Bank has no reason to back Dany; if you have dragons you don't need loans, let alone repay debts. Only the Golden Company or Cersei is worth backing, after the dragons are dead.

The Iron Bank has a more solid reason for opposing Dany, to ensure dragons don't return. They are Bravosi and thus naturally oppose dragons.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
Exactly, for the way he was acting towards her before that moment it seemed out of character.

I'm hoping Martin does not do that in the books.

He will.

Stannis ground his teeth again. "I never asked for this crown. Gold is cold and heavy on the head, but so long as I am the king, I have a duty . . . If I must sacrifice one child to the flames to save a million from the dark . . . Sacrifice . . . is never easy, Davos. Or it is no true sacrifice. Tell him, my lady."

Stannis cares more about his duty, justice and protecting the kingdom than he does anything else he loves including his daughter/bloodline.

I'm sure the context will be different and it'll be presented as a more selfless motive through one of the most horrific methods imaginable.

The king's brothers are the ones giving Cersei sleepless nights … Lord Stannis in particular. His claim is the true one, he is known for his prowess as a battle commander, and he is utterly without mercy. There is no creature on earth half so terrifying as a truly just man.

Poor Shireen's more doomed than Rickon Stark.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

That's what I think happens in the books. Right now they got a letter saying Stannis is dead, and then Jon is killed while the place falls to infighting between wildlings and the queen's men over her attempt to force a wildling "princess" to marry one of her men. So I can imagine that crazy queen Selyse actually believes the letter and burns wildlings + her daughter in attempt to salvage the situation. Stannis could well come back and see this mess, his wife kills herself when she realizes he did this for nothing or he kills her for treason, and banishes Melissandre, which would fit close enough to the show's direction. He has been desperately trying to have the wildlings support his cause, and his wife fucks everything up in his absence.

I really wonder how Stannis would react to Jon coming back to life. Would he throw his support behind Jon?

Man I want the books, I love Stannis, even in the show the Stephen Dillane did such a great job, and I'm really curious to see where his story goes.

edit: Or, Stannis comes back feeling emboldened, and burns Shireen to get even "more" power, probably soon followed by his death, in which case it would play out like in the show more or less anyway.

Last edited:

Corky

Alt account
Banned
Dec 5, 2018
You know they hated Stannis when they presented as him coming to the wall as a bad thing ruining the moment rather than as him saving them.

Deleted member 5127

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think the idea of "death pays for life" is that it needs to be a death that means something to you. For instance Dany's sacrifice of Drogo gave life to her dragons. Jon dying on the other side of the world, and being someone that Dany had no knowledge of at the time, could not really "pay" for her not being barren.

That's a good point, I think that Viserion is gonna be the one that ends up paying for her baby's life.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
That's a good point, I think that Viserion is gonna be the one that ends up paying for her baby's life.

I would think Drogon would be the one. As far as we know, Dany isn't even pregnant yet. Wouldn't surprise me she only begins to feel it after Drogon is killed (with the other two already dead by then).

This would be pretty nice for Dany: she lost everything, her throne, her dragons, but suddenly she feels in her that she is pregnant. She has a reason to live. But whether she does live or not, who knows. I expect her to be executed, but even then she could live on :)

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Everyone obsessed with Jon/Dany and meanwhile:

gZI9yTb.jpg

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Bran practicing with his bow in s1ep1 could figuratively represent him trying to navigate the world to a specific timeline he is aiming for:)
If so, Arya lands the bullseye, or prevents Bran from getting HIS chosen timeline through some action of her own.

John Dunbar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
so what are the rules on people turning into zombies south of the wall now? is it just anyone? anyone killed by other zombies? anyone within a certain distance of white walkers?

at hardhome the boss walker could mass resurrect people, but what's the aoe of his spells, and is it just as potent in the south?

hydrophilic attack

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
fuck clicked the wrong thread and got spoiled on something

ugh

i hate that leak discussion is allowed

then again, i guess it's on me for not ignoring the thread. will do that now. first time ever i use the feature

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
so what are the rules on people turning into zombies south of the wall now? is it just anyone? anyone killed by other zombies? anyone within a certain distance of white walkers?

at hardhome the boss walker could mass resurrect people, but what's the aoe of his spells, and is it just as potent in the south?

Yes. Once they're there, they can resurrect the dead. Any of the dead. They don't have to be killed by wights. It's not an infection. It's magic.

I'n guessing they have to be within a certain distance to resurrect but we don't know the mileage.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
I would think Drogon would be the one. As far as we know, Dany isn't even pregnant yet. Wouldn't surprise me she only begins to feel it after Drogon is killed (with the other two already dead by then).

This would be pretty nice for Dany: she lost everything, her throne, her dragons, but suddenly she feels in her that she is pregnant. She has a reason to live. But whether she does live or not, who knows. I expect her to be executed, but even then she could live on :)
dalai-lama-laugh.gif

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Night King just started the new South of the Wall expansion. Let him get some new gear and a few levels and he'll be rezzing for miles around. He's also putting points in Dragonriding so he can rez from the air.

OP Healer.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
The Night King just started the new South of the Wall expansion. Let him get some new gear and a few levels and he'll be rezzing for miles around. He's also putting points in Dragonriding so he can rez from the air.

OP Healer.
Buddy is for sure using trainers, the cheating bastard. Love how all he's moves require others messing up with no input from him; Bran connecting to tree-net unsupervised, and Tyrion and Jon's dumb ass plan. How are all your power moves gifted to you on a platter like that? Cheap 😆

Oct 25, 2017
fuck clicked the wrong thread and got spoiled on something

ugh

i hate that leak discussion is allowed

then again, i guess it's on me for not ignoring the thread. will do that now. first time ever i use the feature

Yup, I keep accidentally clicking that thread, it's my fault I suppose for not reading clearly. Fortunately, I haven't spoiled anything. Forgot that ignoring threads was an option.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
If it makes you feel better hydrophilic attack, no one really knows what will happen other than a giant battle in Winterfell.

There are about a billion different combinations of theories floating around concerning what happens in it and what happens after it, and they run the gamut from magical interventions to betrayals. There's not a character who hasn't been "leaked" to die this season.

Just go along for the ride.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

She said her dragons don't like it up north.
She said the north is beautiful.
She said she could live there for a thousand years.
She loves Jon, and he loves her.

She is ready to abandon what she came for (the throne), her dragons (the torch), to live with her lover and her child, in the far north, just as the vision of the Undying showed us.

Also, « moon of my life »; the « moon cracked » when Azor Ahai stabbed Nissa Nissa in the heart, the Night Queen had skin white like the moon (they are most likely the same person, and the moon cracking just meant the NQ died or was turned back to human).

Last edited:

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
so im rewatching the show atm (about to finish s2), I only watched up to s5 originally, but since I dont care about spoilers, they never did do Lady Stoneheart right?

I remember so much speculation back then, every season ppl kept saying "ok this season they have to introduce her!" and nothing

Status
Not open for further replies.