• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know how the show will have time to explain 3ER/LoL/NK endgames in 5 episodes when they didn't even lay any groundwork for it in E1. Maybe the writers don't care.

I get the feeling they might actually end the whole White Walker thing in the battle of Winterfell, and then deal with the fallout for the next three episodes.

Either way it's gonna be some major bullshit/gigantic deus ex machina asspull. And I'll enjoy the ridiculousness on display.

As a side note: Does anyone really know for sure how long a person's severed head remains alive after being separated from it's body? Are we sure they virtually die instantly? I would think there might still be enough blood/oxygen in the brain for it to remain alive for a least a few seconds

Fairly certain you remain conscious long enough to realize you've been beheaded.

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Tyrion's entire reaction to this battle suggests to me that he is not able to cope with seeing his house's entire army burned alive by dragons and decapitated by horse-riding barbarians. He didn't actually need to come to this encounter.
What encounter? They ain't fighting the Lannister's yet

Jiggy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
wherever
The Night King isn't dying in Winterfell. The heroes will take an L and a bunch of fan faves are gonna die (RIP Bronn/Tormund/Lyanna) then he'll march south for the final battle in King's Landing. It's what the entire series has been building up to. The wildfire is gonna have a purpose beyond just blowing up the sept.

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017
I get the feeling they might actually end the whole White Walker thing in the battle of Winterfell, and then deal with the fallout for the next three episodes.

Either way it's gonna be some major bullshit/gigantic deus ex machina asspull. And I'll enjoy the ridiculousness on display.
*Arya and the Hound meet up again*

*She says something mean and psychotic and his feelings are hurt*

*He picks up a big chunk of dragonglass from the forge and hucks it over the wall in anger*

*Insert your choice of exasperated, gendered slur*

*It hits the Night King in the head, and they all live happily ever after*

not taken from the leaks thread don't ban me

Ocean Bones

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
To be fair, Arya hasn't met a lot of smart people.

arya-stabbed.jpg

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
question about the 3 eyed raven. is there a reason why he is in the north? like the reason he is in that specific tree? is it where the children of the forest lived or something? i forget if the show told me about the origin of the three eye raven, i just cant recall. because im asking myself, was all magic in westeros kept north of the wall? essos kind of had magic all over from what i remember in the show.

Because the Children of the Forest are there and he's allying with them to stop the White Walkers.

The show isn't going into the origin of the Three Eyed Raven. You'd have to read Dunk and Egg as well as A Dance With Dragons to know what his origin is.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
The Night King isn't dying in Winterfall. The heroes will take a big L and a bunch of fan faves are gonna die (RIP Bronn/Tormund/Lyanna)

Bronn's pretty much going to die as a consequence of not taking Cersei up on her offer. Tormund will die saving Jon's lfe. Lyanna will probably die lading what's left of the Mormont forces, but if she dies, so will her uncle.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
The Night King isn't dying in Winterfell. The heroes will take an L and a bunch of fan faves are gonna die (RIP Bronn/Tormund/Lyanna) then he'll march south for the final battle in King's Landing. It's what the entire series has been building up to. The wildfire is gonna have a purpose beyond just blowing up the sept.
Theres like a hundred towns and garrisons in the way. Eyrie, Twins, Moat Cailin, Dreadfort, Twins, etc. I dont know if all of those are banners called by Sansa. Also House Glover lol

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah I don't think the Night King is going to bother with Moat Cailin or The Twins like Robb Stark and the Boltons had to.

Sinder

Banned
Jul 24, 2018

They will take an L but what contrived plot moment will save the main characters from getting killed? Some last second Bran thing?

Maneil99

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Also. We are totally gonna have the NK die and his whole army get turned off Phantom Menace style aren't we

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
I think a fake-out victory is more likely. People will "win" and then they're like "Oh SHIT."

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I think all of this from S1 is about the end game.

Let's say a new king sits on the throne, but the northern lords and their people have all marched south because the north was wrecked by "winter". What does the king do?

Cersei: "Someday, you'll sit on the throne and the truth will be what you make it."

Joffrey: "We allow the northerners too much power. They consider themselves our equal. I'd double their taxes, and command them to provide 10,000 men to the royal army. [...] We should have a standing army of men loyal to the Crown, trained by experienced soldiers, instead of a mob of peasants who've never held pikes in their lives."

Cersei: "At least 10,000 men, would they fight for you or their lords?"

Joffrey: "For me, I'm their king."

Cersei: "You've just invaded their homeland, asked them to kill their brothers. The north cannot be held. Not by an outsider, it's too big and too wild. When the winter comes the seven gods couldn't save you and your royal army. A good king knows when to save his strength. And when to destroy his enemies."

Ned: "Listen. Sansa will be married to Joffrey some day. She cannot betray him. She must take his side, even when he's wrong."

Arya: "But how can you let her marry someone like that?"

Ned: "You're a Stark of Winterfell, you know our words."

Arya: "Winter is coming."

Ned: "In the winter, we must protect ourselves. Look after one another. Sansa is your sister. [...] We've come to a dangerous place. We cannot fight a war amongst ourselves."

edit: Damn, Varys says "My little birds are everywhere, even in the north. They whisper me the strangest things."

In the books, it almost feels like Varys is both a Faceless Man and a warg... Imagine if his little birds are actually birds, ravens.

Last edited:

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
I think all of this from S1 is about the end game.

Let's say a new king sits on the throne, but the northern lords and their people have all marched south because the north was wrecked by "winter". What does the king do?

edit: Damn, Varys says "My little birds are everywhere, even in the north. They whisper me the strangest things."

In the books, it almost feels like Varys is both a Faceless Man and a warg... Imagine if his little birds are actually birds, ravens.

Varys despises magic so there's nothing magical about him.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Varys despises magic so there's nothing magical about him.

Yeah so he says. But still you have to admit in the book it's written as if what he is doing can't be explained : his face changes in ways people can't quite believe is possible when he's disguising himself, and feel report feeling as if they were being watched by statues or the walls. Also he is constantly collecting intel like the FM do.

ginger ninja

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know what's the best place to ask this question but what has been the best episode so far that didn't strictly rely on GRR's writing ? Battle of bastards right ? I honestly can't think of one bad thing about that whole episode and I have hated the series since season 5. Probably because it was done in the vacuum.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
Yeah so he says. But still you have to admit in the book it's written as if what he is doing can't be explained : his face changes in ways people can't quite believe is possible when he's disguising himself, and feel report feeling as if they were being watched by statues or the walls. Also he is constantly collecting intel like the FM do.

Explained by his backstory. He's a professional mummer aka a professional stage actor.

And he's able to gather so much info because he knows the secret passageways of the Red Keep that he's filled with his followers (aka kids whose tongues he's cut out) so that they can report on whatever they hear from inside the walls.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
I don't know what's the best place to ask this question but what has been the best episode so far that didn't strictly rely on GRR's writing ? Battle of bastards right ? I honestly can't think of one bad thing about that whole episode and I have hated the series since season 5. Probably because it was done in the vacuum.

Hardhome. There's some seriously stupid stuff in the Battle of the Bastards like Ramsay shooting a dying Wun Wun in the head instead of at Jon Snow right next to him. Or Sansa not telling Jon about the Vale Army. Or that weird battle between Ramsay and Jon. Why is Ramsay using a bow and arrow in close quarters while Jon slowly walks toward covering himself with a shield?

sasnak

Dec 4, 2018
The spectacle of Battle of the Bastards was fantastic but the writing was atrocious. There were several plot holes but the biggest was Sansa failing to tell Jon that a massive army was on its way to join Jon. Sansa could have prevented thousands of deaths if she just would've told Jon before he rushed into battle.

Sinder

Banned
Jul 24, 2018

BotB's script is dumb as fuck, it was completely saved by the spectacle and direction but on re-watch its kind of a joke. A few massive plot holes already discussed here and the whole Ramsay killing a giant and then shooting at Jon was some bad B-movie shit. Hardhome is legit as a spectacle episode though, there's nothing painfully dumb there and its just very exciting.

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017
Hardhome. There's some seriously stupid stuff in the Battle of the Bastards like Ramsay shooting a dying Wun Wun in the head instead of at Jon Snow right next to him. Or Sansa not telling Jon about the Vale Army. Or that weird battle between Ramsay and Jon. Why is Ramsay using a bow and arrow in close quarters while Jon slowly walks toward covering himself with a shield?
Yeah, this is probably the best choice. It went from a nothing moment in the books to a defining moment in the show. The only thing I can think of in the same tier is the battle of Helm's Deep, which was also much less significant in the LOTR books.

Battle of the Bastards was extremely well executed on a cinematic level, but the surrounding circumstances were.. a little tenuous.

ginger ninja

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man I disagree. I have never liked Hardhome, just like when Jon went the beyond the wall to kill the mutineer. Because it very strictly deviates from the book where Jon knows going beyond the wall (especially far out) after the first time is a stupid fucking idea.

Ramsey shooting Wun Wun instead of Jon, yea pretty stupid but I am partial to the Sansa stuff. I don't know if it's ever clarified but it appears from watching the show that Sansa had requested LF's help but wasn't sure if it was coming. The Vale's forces weren't just waiting for the right moment to strike. It felt a bit like Gandalf at helm's deep.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Man I disagree. I have never liked Hardhome, just like when Jon went the beyond the wall to kill the mutineer. Because it very strictly deviates from the book where Jon knows going beyond the wall (especially far out) after the first time is a stupid fucking idea.

Ramsey shooting Wun Wun instead of Jon, yea pretty stupid but I am partial to the Sansa stuff. I don't know if it's ever clarified but it appears from watching the show that Sansa had requested LF's help but wasn't sure if it was coming. The Vale's forces weren't just waiting for the right moment to strike. It felt a bit like Gandalf at helm's deep.

Disagree.

I love the books, but I recognize when you have to change shit for TV. Jon had to go to Hardhome and we needed to see the battle. It even made a certain sense with him having to be the one to convince the freefolk. BotB is just terrible writing all around.

sasnak

Dec 4, 2018

Sansa absolutely knew the army was coming. She even apologized to Jon later for not telling him. And of course Jon just brushed it off like it was no big deal that thousands of men died fighting for him for no reason. That is some trash writing.

lacer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
homeboy killed like a half-dozen armor-clad Iron Islanders while shirtless in sub zero temperatures, can we really blame him for expecting his inexplicable luck to carry him through a few more episodes?

OP
OP

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ramsay's weapon of choice was the bow and knives.

He's a coward/bully.

Now fucking way he could go toe-to-toe with Jon Snow in CQC or swords

ginger ninja

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wait. Yea there is one thing I find wrong with BOTB. Jon's last stand. As epic as it felt, I knew there was no fucking way he was gonna die after just having been brought back to life not too long ago. Which made the outcome a bit predictable. Still, the battle itself has to be some of THE best stuff from the whole series. Neither hardhome or BOTB is canon and if I had to choose one, I would take BOTB hands down.

Neece

Oct 27, 2017
Sansa absolutely knew the army was coming. She even apologized to Jon later for not telling him. And of course Jon just brushed it off like it was no big deal that thousands of men died fighting for him for no reason. That is some trash writing.
I held off just to see what would happen in season 7 but Tormund and the rest of the free folk should absolutely hate Sansa right now. They only had like 2,000 fighting men left out of more than 100,000. And the way the battle of the bastards played out, it looks like Sansa used and sacrificed them, likely to clear out their numbers. Tormund already complained about people south of the wall playing games, and it should appear to him that Sansa played a southern trick on them in that slaughter. This after the massacre at Hardhome.

But nope. It's like they don't even care that she let the majority of their people get wiped out. Not a word of complaint.

Status
Not open for further replies.