Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
Yes. But Martin described what happened to Dany as "unique, magical, wondrous, a miracle," so maybe that applies to Jon in this case as well.

You can't mix and match book and show stuff. Show Dany is immune to fire and heat, Jon and Visarys aren't. Dany before the walking into fire thing, had already shown something was up with her. She bathed in hot water, and then was holding dragon eggs that were so hot, that it burnt the hands of her friend. Jon on the other hand burnt himself. So no, he would have died.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
only if the style of Game of Thrones is narratively unfulfilling bullshit.
Not really fulfilling when the King gets mortally wounded by a boar then one of the main protagonists then gets beheaded. I think Thrones is about anti climaxes and subversions to the genre made it popular, but it could however have been written better which we agree on.

Oct 27, 2017
I just hated the whole aspect of the White Walkers being killed = corresponding Wights under control of White Walker = dead. That kind of instant win via killing one individual always bugs me in fantasy stories. I'm pretty sure that was a show only revelation in season 7 when Jon and crew went beyond the Wall, right?

Just feels way too clean of a way to resolve that plot and I doubt its something that the books will wind up doing if they ever get that far. That's way too LOTR, "The One RIng is destroyed, Sauron is defeated, all is well in the world again!" which I feel like GRRM would never do. I don't know what extra wrinkle would get tossed in there but there should be some other complication going on beyond just a simple victory.

I was really hoping for something unexpected- like maybe the NK and the living have to come to some truce or something.

Neece

Oct 27, 2017
Yes. But Martin described what happened to Dany as "unique, magical, wondrous, a miracle," so maybe that applies to Jon in this case as well.

That's for the books, where her not being burned is a one off. In the show, Dany is fireproof for reasons.

It would be a nonsensical plot point to hang the climax of the series on. Targaryens can be burned in both book and show. Her brother was burned. Jon was burned earlier. So if it's just random unexplained magic that protects Dany from bring burned, Jon doesn't need to be a Targaryen to survive being burned.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
Not really fulfilling when the King gets mortally wounded by a boar then one of the main protagonists then gets beheaded. I think Thrones is about anti climaxes and subversions to the genre made it popular, but it could however have been written better which we agree on.

If you're constantly going back to that well, is it really subversion though? Up until the Wed Redding I can accept people were being caught off guard, after that point people were actively looking for the moment where things go belly up for characters.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
He should've been the end boss. All of Westeros destroyed and even thought they beat him, they still kinda lose and have to rebuild. A FF6 type of ending. A Jon vs NK ending fight with some time travel shenanigans from Bran to help beat him. IDK, anything was better than what we got. Literally anything.

It would've ultimately have ended up an action movie with no depth.

However controversial season 8 might have been, it did put out themes albeit filtered through Benioff and Weiss' own ignorance.

I remember thinking the whole "hey this God actually seems to exist" thing was going to be very important.

The implication the story gives you is that said God is Bran Stark.

Prophecies are just Bran communicating information to you from the future. Bran's basically a time lord.

Bran (to Jon): You were exactly where you were supposed to be.

1) Jon fights the Night King and wins
2) The White Walkers win the battle and the survivors retreat south. The finale is a triple threat match for the Westeros Championship
3) The White Walkers kill everyone and the message of the show is that politics and infighting are stupid and lead to nothing productive.

I would have went with option 3

The third is pretty much the message of the story anyway. The whole thing resolves itself when everyone just comes together to just agree on a candidate rather than fight it out with armies.

First, the Night King Arc should have been resolved AFTER the War for the Throne. The squabbles of men should have been shown to be less important than man's unified struggle against impending doom. The fact that they made the throne the culmination of the show, rather than the danger that winter brings shows how out of touch the writers are (and, yes, that includes Martin, if that's the direction he is going).

The final enemy is ourselves. The White Walkers are ultimately props to throw our heroes against and prove who themselves against. They're mirrors.

Making them the final villain would be like making Sauron the final villain. It's not the point of the story.

1. There isn't an ending yet. That's one of the reasons the last few seasons of the show have suffered. DnD had to make up their own ending.
2. The Night King doesn't exist in the books. Yeah, that's right. He was made up for the show and they couldn't even figure out a good way of completing his story.

They didn't make up their own ending. King Bran even comes from GRRM as they've admitted and GRRM even said that his ending will be similar in many ways and differentin some ways and that even some things were pretty close to how he imagined them.

My head-canon is that everything involving the Fire God was just Bran putting messages in people's head to set everything up and the preists had natural fire magic.

I mean that's the implication. In the books, Bran and the Three Eyed Raven can even see Melisandre through her fire. Melisandre thinks she's looking at the Great Other when she's probably looking at the closest thing to God

Cream Stout

Oct 28, 2017
The pacing on the white walker threat was too screwed up. Any conclusion was bound to feel rushed. Their invasion was ominously looming for the entire series. Once they got started the whole thing lasted like 3 episodes. Never got any further than Winterfell. Lots of build up for what turned out to be a manageable bad guy.

what if it didn't get past winterfell because winterfell literally meant the place where winter fell

Immortan

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles
only thing I wanted was jon taking out the night king, that is his story, that's his goal. To have him instead yell at a dragon while his sister killed him while it looked cool made me go.....but the history jon and night have, should have been him to end the threat.

FunkyPajamas

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A friend mentioned that a crazy theory was NK going to KL on the ice dragon, then turning Cersei into a white walker. I would have loved that. Jamie could have died killing-freeing her (which IMO would have made a better arc/death than what we got), then it would have been an uphill battle for the North + Dany's army instead of Dany obliterating KL's + Cercei's army.

Plus it would have meant that Cersei might have actually learned that the things beyond the wall needed to be feared. There was no "payback" to her reneging on her promise to help the north against the WW.

I'm not 100% against Dany going crazy and dying, but I didn't like the way it happened. Everybody's said it by now; it was just too rushed.

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I don't particularly think either of those plot points were anticlimaxes - subversions of expectation, yes, but the narrative never felt cheap or unearned. Everything Ned did led him to his fate. Every decision Robb made lead him to his.

Most of the final seasons' narrative arcs were neither planned nor deserved. They were unexpected for unexpectedness' sake, not because the story could justify it.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
My prediction was the NK would push the Living all the way down to Dorne where they would muster a last stand and win via dragons and Jon assuming his destiny as the Son of Fire.

It'll be interesting to see how George handles it. I feel like the NK's death should just kill the WWs, but the mass of leaderless wights would still need to be dealt with.

Castamere

Oct 26, 2017
My fanfiction ending is Winterfell falls to the night king, and the final fight takes place in Kings landing. Dany is seperated in Winterfell, Jon surrenders to Cersei to save his people. Jamie turns on Jon then we get a repeat of the mad king scene in the throne room with Jamie saving Jon, killing Cersei, with Ayra and the Hounds help. Dany kills the nightking thinking it will work but it does nothing. She's butchered after he dies laughing. Other things happen but the ending is Tyrion in the crypts of Winterfell as the city is being overrun, wounded. He just watched Jamie die in the throne room fight, he starts singing the Rains of Castamere as a supercut shows the city being lost, he lights the wildfire under the city and it goes kaboom.

I dont expect them to defeat the walkers in the book. They're that thing they could have beaten early, but its out of control now. They're global warming.

carlsojo

Shinra Employee
Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
Not really. Unless they gave the Night King more backstory/motivation/characterization and it seemed clear that GRR Martin wanted to keep that a mystery in the books.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
Funny enough I thought the Night King had the most satisfying ending out of all the plots; rush aside.

Anya killing him was a water cooler moment that felt worldwide, it wouldn't have had that much impact as Jon. The episode itself, darkness aside, was also pretty solid.

It was the lead up to it was rushed, but nowhere near the Dany's storyline. All the events that took place from Ice dragon on should have taken a full season with Night King making major inroads into westeros and them fighting back. Making this army made instantly unkillable and having a deus ex machina saving them would have worked better if it was a bit more ongoing military skirmishes with some wins/mostly losses, and then them having their backs against the wall

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not having Bran play a pivotal role in the NK's defeat and using things the show already SET UP for Bran (ie: he can go into the past and even influence the past apparently) was a massive mistake.

Bran needed to do something integral in the NK's defeat other than just sitting by a tree.

It also gives the ending of the show depth, because then there is a good case for Bran being king if he was the MVP of saving humanity effectively.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe.

Have them straight up lose at Winterfell, lose a second dragon in the process, the survivors return to King's Landing, Jaime kills Cersei and takes command, fights and defeats Euron, Yara takes the fleet back, and they use the ballistas tipped with dragon glass to deal with one of the undead dragons, but the other does the carpet bombing that Dany did and it's the scene with Arya fleeing the carpet bombing but she's running towards the red keep instead of out because they put Bran on the iron throne with Theon guarding him. Jon rushes in just in time to see Theon get got and the doors close as the rest of the white walkers guard the door and advance on Jon while the night king advances on Bran. Arya got in either while the white walkers were distracted fighting Jon or she had gotten there first, and she kills him before Jon gets overwhelmed in the fight outside

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
The fucking existence of the night king was part of the problem with the show.

The realm paying almost zero price for largely ignoring that winter was coming and fighting among themselves was punished in zero way.

It was just a bad ending. For a show without plot armour that didn't give a fuck about what the fans wanted it mostly ended predictibly and badly.

Bran needed to have an impact. Jon needed to do something. The dragons needed to do something. The fire god needed to do something. Fucking, all of the god damned buildup of the white walkers being afraid of the 3 eyed raven and then.. he sat under a fucking tree.

They decided the Arya kill shot would be epic looking and they clearly wanted to move on to the stuff in King's Landing because the show became about the game of thrones instead of realizing that the game was always folly that didn't matter.

Neece

Oct 27, 2017
It's not the same. The King being killed due to his own failures (being a predictable drunk, being cruel to Lancel, being cruel to Cersei) and the planning of calculating characters. Ned got beheaded due to several crucial poor choices. Same thing for Robb. GRRM's subversion weren't just for the sake of subversion. He showed what would happen to characters that made poor choices (explained entirely through motivation and values) in a world that didn't feature the last minute saves found in other fantasy series. There were consequences for actions. So when Ned got killed, it didn't feel cheap. You could trace the steps backwards to arrive at where he went wrong.

Arya running past wights and jumping out of nowhere to kill the NK was just cheap subversion, because D&D thought it would be surprising or badass. Nothing more. It absolutely did not fit GRRM Game of Thrones storytelling.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
The main things I would have changed were

Just write the battle of winterfell better, and it's more clear how many people managed to survive, instead of the dialogue just saying 50/50 of the army died. Actually show Arya jumping on the wight bodies, as it says in the script, this instead of the chessy scene where it looks like she's jumping from nowhere. Have them empty the crypts before hiding. Don't have Dany sending the Dothraki to their death in the opening scene. Generally make the characters look smarter.

Second half: Get rid of the scene at the end of episode 4, and have Missandei beheaded just as Dany flies over King's Landing, Missandei is dragged through the street as the mob cheers, and you have a more dramatic scene for Dany to go berserk. She starts burning the people of King's Landing as usual, but have a few more episodes showing Dany's go Macbeth and becoming disconnected. These scenes only felt like an hour in the show. Maybe have Rhegal killed at this battle because the jump scare with Euron shooting it in the sea was cheesy, it would have also made Dany's impulsiveness in that moment, easier to accept by the audience. For the ending I would have just explained the choosing of Bran better and let's say the vote for him is not as unanimous, this would be more realistic. (why would the prince of Dorne vote Bran?)

Yeah, I would have changed smaller things, rather than the whole outline.

Bengraven

Powered by Friendship™
Oct 26, 2017
Florida
The problem with GOT the TV Show is that there are two huge storylines and the show gives them both equal importance. The Night King and the throne.

From a story telling perspective, you should have combined these two stories in some kind of way. Instead of resolving one and then moving to another, you should have either ended one earlier in the series, like season 6 or 7 to focus on the other, or found ways to combine them (Cersei makes a deal with the devil with the Night King or Jon's forces are forced to go south after the NK wins and are basically forced to combined with Cersei's forces to stop the undead from taking King's Landing.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Jaime, Brienne, Sam help kill the main NK lieutenant causing his lieutenant's to scatter.

Bran goes into the NK's past and learns some shocking details of the White Walkers history.

Jon fights the NK directly but isn't able to beat him that way.

Dany goes HAM on the WW forces and buys everyone time, she kills Drogon, thus taking away the NK's main weapon.

Theon protects Bran (as in the show).

Bran as the NK approaches locks into a "mind fuck" battle with the NK. Jon fights him physically.

This opens the door for Arya to kill him.

That works better than ... No one does shit, Bran just sits there waiting, and Arya randomly kills the NK. You needed to give the other characters stuff to do, the victory should only happen because they all worked together.

NinjaGarden

Oct 25, 2017
The main things I would have changed were

Just write the battle of winterfell better, and it's more clear how many people managed to survive, instead of the dialogue just saying 50/50 of the army died. Actually show Arya jumping on the wight bodies, as it says in the script, this instead of the chessy scene where it looks like she's jumping from nowhere. Have them empty the crypts before hiding. Don't have Dany sending the Dothraki to their death in the opening scene. Generally make the characters look smarter.
This would have been a good scene. Destroying the physical remains of dozens of generations of Starks because, you know, ice necromancers are coming.

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
I always viewed the Night King as the ultimate A story line and the throne as the B story line, but they flipped it. I think if there was more lore and the priority flipped it would have been better.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
If you're constantly going back to that well, is it really subversion though? Up until the Wed Redding I can accept people were being caught off guard, after that point people were actively looking for the moment where things go belly up for characters.
To be fair, in the last few books, GRRM starts to play with your expectations of how anyone can die, and pretend Davos, Mance Rayder, Jon and Brienne have been killed at different points. He's definitely not above subverting expectations which isn't even a bad thing.

Deusmico

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
yes: show Bran having one last flashback of him with added lore

in the battle episode have jon snow fight him as they set it up in previous seasons, arya could kill him during the fight

also white walkers needed to fight in the battle episode

Shoe

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
They could have actually done something at King's Landing, that'd be a start

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'd also add this scene for fun, gives the fans some full circle stuff ...

Bran travels back in time hoping to speak with Ned Stark his father for guidance, but he finds himself back in the first scene of Winterfell in the show where he is a kid and misses the target in archery practise. He sees Ned and Cat looking over him (just as in the original scene) .... the OG scene continues on as we know it ... Bran misses the target, little Arya hits it.

Ned looks at grown Bran with an odd knowing look. Bran tries to speak to Ned, but Ned says nothing. Bran doesn't understand.

Bran snaps out of his trance thinking what he just saw was useless.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
IIRC there's some implications that the ending to the conflict in the books isn't actually going to be one solved w/ physical force in the end. (Dany's clearly going to still be blasting them and losing forces in the process to get them to that point.) The "kill leader kill the wights" thing only coming up in S7 might be related to that w/ the writers wanting to not do the book ending 1:1.

The conflict isn't ended by force. They all come together and elect Bran. The thing with the White Walkers is that they're not an actual race. They're Terminators. The outline really pushes that they just want to kill everything because they're programmed that way. GRRM did a story on this in Tuf Voyaging.

It would have at least made a statement of some kind. What really is the point of it all with the ending that we got? This is the problem with shows that dont seem to have any ending in mind from the get go. They spend years spinning more and more complicated webs but cant figure out how to wrap it up. When we got halfway through season 7 with no real resolutions to the larger conflicts in sight, I knew this shit would be a disaster.

The ending in mind is something GRRM's been planning since the 90's. It was just executed by Beniodd and Weiss.

It is making a statement though.

War corrupts people.

Don't put all your faith in a messianic leader.

The idea of how we cheer for tyrants as long as they're the targeting the right people but without paying attention to the idea that those same tyrants could target people you would consider the wrong people.

Collective punishment isn't just.

Violence and imperialism alone won't bring about a better world. People coming to the table, hashing things out and compromise is what brings a better world.

Or having Jaime the Kingslayer actually kill the Night King, thereby completing his transformation from despicable villain to hero.

You know, so his character arc actually serves some kind of purpose.

"Haha I am dick. Oh now I am becoming a better person. Haha fooled you still a dick"

That would redeem Jaime. That's not really Jaime's story. He's not a hero turned villain. He's a villain slowly being humanized.
Would have preferred for the Night King to be the final boss after the Cersei mess with Jon Snow becoming the avatar of the Lord of Light (a la Gandalf the White) dueling the Night King 1v1. It's supposed to be Ice and Fire after all.

It is. The Ice are the White Walkers and Fire are the Dragons according to GRRM. Both are threats to people.

They should have killed Cersei off in season 7. Her death was long overdue and it really felt like the writers kept her on artificial life support by dumbing down team Tyrion and giving Euron superpowers. Felt really anticlimactic to turn Cersei into the "final boss", because she never stood a chance against Daenerys anyway.

Season 8 should have focused entirely on the battle with the white walkers. Daenerys could have had some kind of redemption arc if they still wanted to go the mad queen route with her in season 7.

Daenerys is the final villain.

Daenerys is meant to die without being redeemed via GRRM. That's part of the tragedy.

Honestly the night king arc was Jon's moment, I personally think he deserved to finish it and probably should have been the end of Jon's arc.

There's no conflict there. It's just an action hero moment where Jon swings a sword really well. It's not even a real arc.

Jon murdering Daenerys is the resolution to his arc where he has to give up his personal honor to do his idea of the right thing.

Considering Jon did kill Dany, I think he was Azor Azai.

Nah. Once you read his other stories, you'd realize that GRRM doesn't actually dig chosen ones. One of his books even critiques them. Classic heroes like Jon never truly succeed in GRRM's stories. It's usual weirdos like Bran and Tyrion and Samwell that do.

Except it doesn't. This dude and his army wrecked the ever living shit out of the living the last time around. Why is subverting expectations suddenly something that makes sense in universe during this 5 year period, than the preceding 10,000 years?

To be fair, those stories are legends and we have no idea how hyperbolic it is but this story was never going to do decades or even years of the Long Night. If they did then all of GOT would actually have to be the prologue.

Thrones has always tried to subvert exceptions though or deconstruction, like the Red Wedding, I think GRRM admited he HAD to kill of Rob Stark after Eddard, to avoid the typical revenge story. The show was worse at executing these types of subversions though.

Exactly. Jon Snow and Daenerys are red herrings. GRRM made Jon the rightful heir so you would automatically conclude that he gets the throne but putting a trope down doesn't mean it'll happen.

only if the style of Game of Thrones is narratively unfulfilling bullshit.

Game of Thrones/ASOIAF is really about a collective of heroes dying and eventually Bran stands atop all their corpses.

GRRM puts tropes down but that doesn't mean that he's going to play it the way you think .

For instance, Jon Snow's parentage makes people conclude that he's the true endgame king but it's actually there to introduce conflict to his relationship with Daenerys and completely destroy House Targaryen

Sasliquid

Oct 25, 2017
Yes but the story isn't structured around a singular evil force (ie the NK isn't in the books) so it would of taken writing of good quality which had he lacking for some time

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
I think Preston Jacobs really got GRRM's mindset and by not allowing Jon to kill off the NK, Benioff and Weiss also followed something that GRRM would've done.

Preston Jacobs:

Preston Jacobs: I'll say this about Jon Snow being the chosen one and defeating evil. Our author has never written a story ending that way. It is a trope that our author seems to want to avoid. Weirdo-freak protagonists like Tuf can succeed but not a classic hero like Jon at least not in a badass sword-fight triumph over evil sort of way. But even Tuf the weirdo doesn't have a traditional ending normally.

This was years before season 8 even came out.

Jon killing the NK would've ultimately have been fanservice. Of course, Arya killing the NK is fanservice but not as bad.

Brickhunt

Feb 4, 2018
Brazil
Trying to change as little as possible, we should have the main casters fight the WW commanders at some points of the battle and, with each death, part of the army falls apart, but not entirely. Just to make the survival of so many more believable.

I also think the whole army should have not died when the Night King died, just being the tipping point in which the army loses most of his force AND the dragon. In this case, I am fine with Arya being the one to kill him, but it should have involved him being away from harm (you know, smart thinking) and she being shown actually having to sneak past his wights. And, as soon as he died, it becomes about her trying to escape the living commanders and wights with Jon and others coming to rescue her and kill the remaining commanders.

That's for the episode. For the whole thing, I think there is plenty of essays that can do a far better job than me

Maxim726x

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
In hindsight this shit was always gonna end up being quite disappointing. Like... the Night King doesn't speak y'all

Honestly, after the bitter taste of the last few episodes left my mouth... This is the conclusion I ultimately came to.

Not only was there never going to be a satisfying conclusion to that story line- There was never going to be a satisfying conclusion to the series as a whole.

Unlike character driven dramas like the Sopranos or Breaking Bad, there was never going to be an inflection point that the characters reached, there was never going to be a lesson that we take from it moving forward, or an overriding flaw that ultimately led to the MC's demise (hubris and pride in Walt's case, and a feeling of powerlessness and fatalism in Tony's) that we can take with us moving forward. The show was never supposed to be about that though, was it? It was supposed to be about the *world* not the *characters*, and ultimately I feel that such a premise is always going to leave you with an empty feeling after its over.

That being said, what ultimately happens to Dany was pathetically poorly done and with more time and development, could have been more impactful and meaningful. Guess we'll never know.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
It's not the same. The King being killed due to his own failures (being a predictable drunk, being cruel to Lancel, being cruel to Cersei) and the planning of calculating characters. Ned got beheaded due to several crucial poor choices. Same thing for Robb. GRRM's subversion weren't just for the sake of subversion. He showed what would happen to characters that made poor choices (explained entirely through motivation and values) in a world that didn't feature the last minute saves found in other fantasy series. There were consequences for actions. So when Ned got killed, it didn't feel cheap. You could trace the steps backwards to arrive at where he went wrong.

Arya running past wights and jumping out of nowhere to kill the NK was just cheap subversion, because D&D thought it would be surprising or badass. Nothing more. It absolutely did not fit GRRM Game of Thrones storytelling.
In the context of the show and not what the showrunner said, there was build to Arya become the ultimate assassin and the one to challenge death, or in this literal sense the night king as the leader of the dead. I think there was a alternate idea that a dying theon could have killed TNK as he's grabbing Arya, maybe 'what is dead may never die' could have been forshadowing all along and it could have been ironic and interesting that arguably the most unheroic character, a shell of a man, kills the night king. But still, it doesn't have to that, maybe that would have been done badly as well, I just think that kind of anticlimax and playing with your expectations, well that was part of the appeal when it's done right.

2CL4Mars

Nov 9, 2018
There's no conflict there. It's just an action hero moment where Jon swings a sword really well. It's not even a real arc.

Jon murdering Daenerys is the resolution to his arc where he has to give up his personal honor to do his idea of the right thing.

You mean that Jon had absolutely nothing to do with the white walkers? He was the driving force behind it, no one cared about them but him.

Everyone ales were busy with their storylines while most of Jon's arc was about stopping them...

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Of course it was possible to have a satisfying ending to that arc. They took seasons of build-up with him and his army finally making their way to Westeros and then he goes out like a little bitch. It was stupid. If anything I think they should've just had it all go down in King's Landing Cersei v NK v Winterfell & Co.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We should have learned something additional about the White Walkers/Night King from Bran's abilities. Show don't tell. Something alright. Like maybe he was a Stark? Or the Starks are tied to the WW history?

Something, anything. Why set up all those plot points and not do anything with it.

That would've gone a long way in satisfying things too.

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Game of Thrones/ASOIAF is really about a collective of heroes dying and eventually Bran stands atop all their corpses.

GRRM puts tropes down but that doesn't mean that he's going to play it the way you think .

For instance, Jon Snow's parentage makes people conclude that he's the true endgame king but it's actually there to introduce conflict to his relationship with Daenerys and completely destroy House Targaryen

to be clear, I have zero issues with the way GRRM handles story. my bitching is all about how D&D mangled the chess board Martin set up.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
You mean that Jon had absolutely nothing to do with the white walkers? He was the driving force behind it, no one cared about them but him.

Everyone ales were busy with their storylines while most of Jon's arc was about stopping them...

Bran? Hell, he is the NK's arch-rival and the NK's story resolves with Bran.

Sure, Arya put it in his back but Bran's the one that set it up by giving her the knife and sacrificing Theon. He's the brain behind his demise.

Jon's real arc is really about duty, love and family.

to be clear, I have zero issues with the way GRRM handles story. my bitching is all about how D&D mangled the chess board Martin set up.

I mean that's fair. My opinion is that there's still good to find in the bungled execution.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's incredibly hilarious that they set up one of the characters can time travel and even influence the past and they did nothing with it and never mentioned it again.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
We should have learned something additional about the White Walkers/Night King from Bran's abilities. Show don't tell. Something alright. Like maybe he was a Stark? Or the Starks are tied to the WW history?

Something, anything. Why set up all those plot points and not do anything with it.

That would've gone a long way in satisfying things too.
Maybe you have a point to give a bit more information about him, I thought the NK was just a survivor, a rouge weapon of the children of the forest and came back into power because of Cranster of all people giving him babies to extend his ranks. So I'm not sure what else is relevant about him. He's a walking macguffin, a faceless evil enemy but kind of a red herring and arguably the true antagonist of the series, which is the chaos and greed that the iron throne represents.

Kay

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
1) Get Cersei out of the picture before the final showdown.
2) Have Jon fight and lose against him
3) Kill all the dragons
3) Have Jaime draw a flaming sword and die defeating the Nightking
4) Don't have all the white walkers explode like the mothership had just gone down
5) Have the weather of westros be forever changed by the encounter

Neece

Oct 27, 2017
I think Preston Jacobs really got GRRM's mindset and by not allowing Jon to kill off the NK, Benioff and Weiss also followed something that GRRM would've done.

Preston Jacobs:

This was years before season 8 even came out.

Jon killing the NK would've ultimately have been fanservice. Of course, Arya killing the NK is fanservice but not as bad.
Arya killing the NK is worse because they had to retcon prophesies in order to justify it. I've never been a fan of Jon killing the NK in single combat, but at least his story, death, and resurrection was tied to them.

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't think it was feasible to have a good season 8 given the way the previous seasons went and the episode constraints.

But I do think that both the main plotlines would have been better -- and better received -- if D&D hadn't tried to subvert our expectations to the detriment of character and thematic consistency. Let Jon have his final battle with the Night King, even if Arya lands the killing blow. Let Dany focus her fire on the Red Keep and have the civilian casualties be from her recklessness (Wildfire) rather than explicit maliciousness. Let Jaime kill Cersei, whether to prevent Cersei burning them all or as an act of "mercy", as Cersei was prepared to kill Tommen. Have Bran do something other than just be bait. Don't let Tyrion make that awful speech. And don't bring back Bronn.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe you have a point to give a bit more information about him, I thought the NK was just a survivor, a rouge weapon of the children of the forest and came back into power because of Cranster of all people giving him babies to extend his ranks. So I'm not sure what else is relevant about him. He's a walking macguffin, a faceless evil enemy but kind of a red herring and arguably the true antagonist of the series, which is the chaos and greed that the iron throne represents.

I think they kinda owed it to the audience to at least give them something more on him.

Really, they should have then just saved the reveal for who the NK is (ie: Bran seeing his creation) closer to the end of the show, so we know the Children of the Forest created him.

Speaking of which, it's also stupid I think that the Children of the Forest weren't involved at all either, I think Bran should've at least conferred with them.

There's way too many things the show sets up and then never bothers to touch on again, which is part of the reason people were wildly disappointed. At least pay them some lip service.