• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017

Posted by MeltedDreams

Better Cinematics

We expect improved graphics with each new entry in a series, and so far, the footage shown for Forbidden West has been extremely impressive. But sometimes it takes seeing the game up-close to really notice its finer points. "Some of the big upgrades we've made to our cinematics include full motion-capture, better facial animation, and a top-tier cast," says narrative director Benjamin McCaw. "That level of quality goes across the entire game, including some of our minor scenes." In the demo we saw for the cover story, dialogue exchanges felt more authentic between characters due to these improvements, and it was especially noticeable in the facial animations. Aloy can now convey much more with her body language and eyes.

Livelier Locales

Guerrilla wants settlements to feel "more lived in" and exciting to explore. This means townspeople will be more active, and you'll experience fun little moments throughout their day. "We've upgraded our civilians and settlements since the last game with an improved crowd system, better animations, and much better audio," McCaw says. "So everything should feel a little bit more authentic and lifelike." During our demo, as we headed toward a tavern, we saw folks stumbling around outside of it, muttering incoherent sentiments and searching for their drink. Entering the actual tavern, things became more spirited, with patrons passionately ranting about their troubles, happily dancing together, and even a group singing merrily about their drunken tales as they banged on their table to establish a beat.

Better Side Quest Rewards

If you didn't feel the side content was worth your time in Zero Dawn, Guerrilla is working to change that in Forbidden West. Its solution? More interesting side quests and greater rewards for engaging with them. "There's a lot more variety in that sense - a more sense of accomplishment that you actually get something cool in return for doing these quests," says game director Mathijs de Jonge. "That was another part where we felt like we had some room for improvement. So you get a cool weapon or you get a cool outfit, something that's really useful for your next quest or activity."

More Time With Companions

If you were hoping for better relationship-building between Aloy and her companions, you'll be happy to know this was an area of focus for Guerrilla with Forbidden West. The team spoke a lot about its efforts to improve its companion characters in hopes of players forming stronger connections to them. "The big focus, though, that we wanted to change from the first game to the second, is that you just get to spend more time with key characters," McCaw says. "That's something we tried to do consistently throughout the game. Not just for characters that you meet along the main quest, but also certain side quest characters; they don't just go away after one quest."
www.gameinformer.com

Eight Promising Improvements Coming To Horizon Forbidden West

From a less cluttered HUD to a revamped skill tree, Guerrilla Games is making some smart changes for the sequel.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
Love that they're developing side characters more, I liked some of them in ZD but I wished to do more stuff with them.

Everything sounds nice, I liked the stories in sidequests but adding better rewards (mainly tools) is the right solution.

Fuchsia

Oct 28, 2017
This is shaping up to potentially be really special if they pull it off! So stoked.

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
I could not get into HZD but a lot of these improvements make me interested in HFW. Really hope story isn't too crazy to jump into the sequel.

Euler

Oct 27, 2017
QHPtu3H.png

🤔

side quests getting improved is really needed.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Even the difference in cinematic quality between Zero Dawn and the DLC expansion was significant, and I would've been pleased if they just maintained the level of quality we saw in The Frozen Wilds. Improvements on top of that would be fantastic.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
I hope climbing and exploring is actually great. That was my biggest problem with the first, aside from the dog doodoo main story.

Kirksplosion

Aug 21, 2018
Really, really happy to hear about this. Horizon was a really impressive first stab that was ultimately an 8/10 for me. Some tweaks to UI and gameplay, along with a more interesting story* would easily push it to a 10/10.

*I LOVED the backstory of Horizon, but the actual present-day story and events surrounding Aloy were...fine.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Even the difference in cinematic quality between Zero Dawn and the DLC expansion was significant, and I would've been pleased if they just maintained the level of quality we saw in The Frozen Wilds. Improvements on top of that would be fantastic.
What they described was the exact same workflow they used for Frozen Wilds.

and what they did for conversations was record the faces and audio and have a body double sync up with that:

So yea it seems like their baseline of quality was Frozen Wilds if they're gonna do that for an entire game. Makes me hella curious about the quality of side quests though because they keep hyping them up for this sequel. The present day characters were super weak in the original game.

FoV settings and 60fps please. And let me climb everything.
Climb everything has been confirmed.

Last edited:

Paz

Nov 1, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
I don't like that they are so focused on the rewards aspect of side quests, the only open world game where side quests truly felt important to me is The Witcher 3 and in that game I never once thought about the rewards I would get for completing the side quest (Outside of treasure hunts, which are specifically about reward).

Everything else here sounds great but I wish they saw the problem with side quests as being their compelling stories and characters.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Glad to see livelier locales mentioned. There are very few open world games where that isn't an issue

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
The Ability To Create Jobs For Upgrade Parts
Really want to upgrade your weapon or armor, but don't feel like searching aimlessly for the part in need? You're in luck! Now, with a click of a button in the crafting menu, you can create a job to locate the resource you need. This will activate a quest and put a path on the map to where the machines holding them reside. It means you'll never have to waste time just hoping for a drop, or wondering if you're in the right place.

Wasn't this already a feature in the first game?

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think the rewards were the issue with side quests. Most of them were completely uninteresting in the original so I hope they're better here. Rewards don't matter if the quest itself is dull.

Trying to build up a consistent cast of characters is good though. I mostly cared for the past storyline in the original since I found it hard to get interested in the present day characters.

Dec 2, 2021
Glad side quests and town liveliness is getting improved. Hopefully the world outside of towns gets improved as well as that was far worse. A little worried they're not mentioning the RPG stuff as that was pretty bad in the first. Unless of course they're completely axing it which would be for the best.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
A proper camera that doesn't keep drifting from left to right and actually sticks behind the shoulder would be welcome.

LonelyGay

May 18, 2019
Kinda OT, but I just took off three days of work for this game next month!

I'm going to eat all the pizza, drink all the Dr Pepper, and live my best life with my girl Aloy in front of my C1 OLED. #LifeIsGood

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I don't like that they are so focused on the rewards aspect of side quests, the only open world game where side quests truly felt important to me is The Witcher 3 and in that game I never once thought about the rewards I would get for completing the side quest (Outside of treasure hunts, which are specifically about reward).

Everything else here sounds great but I wish they saw the problem with side quests as being their compelling stories and characters.
Yeah, I was happy when I saw all the comments in the thread talking about better sidequests but the actual article just talks about the rewards. The reward is barely important if the quest is good.

ciddative

Apr 5, 2018
I mainly want the jank to be improved, the character felt disconnected from the environment, traversal was janky and physics a little odd. I don't mean fancy moves or climbing but presence and weight in the world and satisfying movement over different terrain.

Xeonidus

“Fuck them kids.”
Oct 28, 2017
Glad to hear. The first was tremendous and I'm glad Guerilla is taking the time to address the few drawbacks.

Oct 27, 2017
The Music City.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017

I don't think the rewards were the issue with side quests. Most of them were completely uninteresting in the original so I hope they're better here. Rewards don't matter if the quest itself is dull.

Trying to build up a consistent cast of characters is good though. I mostly cared for the past storyline in the original since I found it hard to get interested in the present day characters.
Couldn't agree more. I don't care about the rewards. I care about having a compelling story with interesting characters. Hope they put a lot more effort into those aspects, too.

AAION

Dec 28, 2018
Having side characters that return is my favorite thing in RPGs, loved everyone coming back in to defend the city.

The Witcher did this very well ofc

Also glad they're revamping the skill tree, the Horizon ZD skill tree is probably the worst I've seen in AAA gaming

Begaria

Oct 27, 2017
is the writer for New Vegas still the lead writer on the story for Forbidden West?

He was the Narrative Director during Forbidden West's development, but he left Guerilla in mid-2020.

www.playstationlifestyle.net

Horizon Zero Dawn's Lead Writer Exits Guerrilla Games; Now a Narrative Lead at New Studio in Spain - PlayStation LifeStyle

Horizon Zero Dawn Writer John Gonzalez has departed Guerrilla Games. He now serves as a Narrative Director for a new studio based in Barcelona, Spain.

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
One of my biggest issues with the first is how Meridian just didn't feel like the capital of civilisation that the lore entries and dialogue suggested. Especially only a couple of years after Novigrad. More lived-in sounds great.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
What about gyro aiming? That was one of the most glaring omissions from the first game, especially compared to BotW.

Spinluck

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
I still can't believe climb everything made it in.

That's just incredible.

I hope I can set fires too :')

Venture

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't go in expecting to climb literally anything. It'll probably be close to Assassin's Creed. Climbing rock faces etc.