• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
Loudninja

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks. That's a pretty comprehensive overview.

The only thing I could find was this though: " Forbidden West is going to look amazing on the PlayStation 4. We already demonstrated with Horizon Zero Dawn just how pretty our artists and engineers can make an open world on PlayStation 4. Forbidden West is going to look even more pretty on that console. " Which isn't saying much. This could mean that the game is prettier from a Art Design standpoint. Thanks again for your reply
Looks great on the PS4

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
Does the first game still hold up? The open world genre ages quickly… I kinda want to do a quick playthrough on easy before FW but I don't want to ruin the good memories I have of this game.

Valus

Nov 21, 2017
Excited that they added a melee skill tree. I wonder if they will add different melee weapons this time around and make a melee build viable.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
She's still grappling to a specific yellow point though…
Those points are only for the grapple hook. In the trailer they showed that what you can do is highlight climbable surfaces but otherwise it functions more like AC and Ghosts instead of needing white paint or yellow climbing points.

Never understood why people would compare the climbing to Breath of the Wild. Might as well ask why Aloy can't climb like Spider-Man. They were obviously going for a more grounded approach.
Ghosts of Tsushima is literally a more grounded game than Horizon based on the premise alone and it has way better climbing:

and no they weren't really going for a "more grounded approach" because this is literally Aloy in cutscenes:
uOUFTgo.gif

xMo35ww.gif

Ideally things characters do in cutscenes as part of a montage showing off their various abilities should be replicated in game yea?

Like I this point I don't even get the point of defending the lackluster climbing system of the first game when they've clearly gone out of their way to address that criticism specifically, among like the human combat. Like to quote the developers:

"The climbing tools for the first Horizon were a little bit limited and restricted," admits de Jonge, "so we really just wanted to open that up and give players the freedom to climb anywhere they like in these open worlds."

OP
OP
Loudninja

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
Those points are only for the grapple hook. In the trailer they showed that what you can do is highlight climbable surfaces but otherwise it functions more like AC and Ghosts instead of needing white paint or yellow climbing points.

Ghosts of Tsushima is literally a more grounded game than Horizon based on the premise alone and it has way better climbing:

Like I this point I don't even get the point of defending the lackluster climbing system of the first game when they've clearly gone out of their way to address that criticism specifically, among like the human combat.
I dont get comparing dev that has alot of open world experience with game like Infamous to a devs first open world game. They of course vastly improve all aspect of traversal in the sequel with with how the machines traverse.

Not everything is going to be done with first game series and the devs acknowledge the areas they lacked in.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017

and no they weren't really going for a "more grounded approach" because this is literally Aloy in cutscenes:
uOUFTgo.gif

xMo35ww.gif

Ideally things characters do in cutscenes as part of a montage showing off their various abilities should be replicated in game yea?

Like I this point I don't even get the point of defending the lackluster climbing system of the first game when they've clearly gone out of their way to address that criticism specifically, among like the human combat. Like to quote the developers:

"The climbing tools for the first Horizon were a little bit limited and restricted," admits de Jonge, "so we really just wanted to open that up and give players the freedom to climb anywhere they like in these open worlds."

Well I specifically said in comparison to Breath of the Wild which seems the most common complaint from people who came off that game trying to play Horizon. It's not surprising that someone would be let down by that, but it's also clear the goals were very different there.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
I dont get comparing dev that has alot of open world experience with game like Infamous to a devs first open world game. They of course vastly improve all aspect of traversal in the sequel with with how the machines traverse.

Not everything is going to be done with first game.
No not everything has to be fine and dandy with the first game, but like, come on Horizon's climbing seriously sucked which was jarring because every other aspect of the movement felt incredibly fluid and responsive. Hence them taking that criticism and changing things being a good thing/it being appropriate to call the spade a spade. In this case, Horizon's climbing, (and swimming), was very unengaging and a weak mark on an otherwise fluid movement system. Same with the combat against humans in a game with an otherwise super good combat sandbox.

Well I specifically said in comparison to Breath of the Wild which seems the most common complaint from people who came off that game trying to play Horizon. It's not surprising that someone would be let down by that, but it's also clear the goals were very different there.
Most people didn't directly compare it to BOTW but mainly complained about limited it was in general.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
They came out really close to one another, and yes, that comparison was made many times.
Yes they did but the main complaints about Horizon's climbing weren't driven by Zelda also having a climbing system. It was spearheaded by them putting in a nearly identical climbing system to enslaved odyssey to the west into a open world game that came out nearly a decade later. Or more specifically an attempt to emulate the climbing of Tomb Raider and Uncharted but feeling way more limited than both.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
well cyberpunk hit that same feel for me. Wich in the end makes sense haha
That's good to know. Have yet to play. Gonna wait and see if the next gen version is okay. Bought the whole Witcher 3 package for cheap to play on Series X when the overhaul comes this year as well.

Dec 19, 2021
Ah glad Aloy's wife is in.
lol. I'm kinda torn on Aloy's sexuality. I'm always, always for more sapphic rep, but there's also a dearth of straight female lead characters in video games.

Also, major respect with the Korrasami seal -- even after all these years. Avatar Studios needs to get on making more animated Korra so we can finally see their relationship depicted on screen.

Jaybird

Sep 4, 2018
I'm replaying the first one and boy the facial animations abysmal. They look like robots

Oct 27, 2017
Im happy to hear the skill tree is being revamped
The first game's skill tree made absolutely no sense with where unlocks were placed and they were locked behind

Venture

Oct 25, 2017
lol. I'm kinda torn on Aloy's sexuality. I'm always, always for more sapphic rep, but there's also a dearth of straight female lead characters in video games.

Also, major respect with the Korrasami seal -- even after all these years. Avatar Studios needs to get on making more animated Korra so we can finally see their relationship depicted on screen.
If that ESRB rating is accurate it seems like she'll be spurning everyone again.

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
I want the game to be full of all these platforming puzzles where you need to utilize gadgets to get to neat areas full of unique items and lore stuff.

It doesnt *seem* they are building that kind of world, but Im really hopeful of a lot of secrets, puzzles, and verticality.

Skeeter49

I wish Jim Ryan would eat me
Oct 25, 2017
My biggest issues in Horizon ZD was I could never really tell how much stronger different gear you could buy or find was, it was hard to compare the stats you had versus the new stats you'd get if you bought the new equipment, and I never really felt that much stronger or tankier with each level up.

Enforcer

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'm hoping for more interactivity in the world. The first one felt like the world was just...there. That imporvement list is looks pretty good so that's nice to hear.

Venture

Oct 25, 2017
I want the game to be full of all these platforming puzzles where you need to utilize gadgets to get to neat areas full of unique items and lore stuff.

It doesnt *seem* they are building that kind of world, but Im really hopeful of a lot of secrets, puzzles, and verticality.
I'd love to see the cauldrons get more puzzley. There's some fun stuff they could do with just Pullcaster.

https://blog.playstation.com/2021/10/25/horizon-forbidden-west-master-aloys-new-abilities/
The second function of the Pullcaster is a winch, meaning the player can dynamically manipulate, move and destroy the objects in the environments. Think about pulling a hidden loot chest from a ledge, or tearing open a vent to create a new climb path."

YukiroCTX

Prophet of Regret
Oct 30, 2017
By any measure, BOTW or not, the traversal mechanics in the original were hugely disappointing. At least they're doing something about it.
Agree. Even going by Sony's own Open world efforts, a game like say infamous had way better traversal mechanics but then looking at a lot of other open worlds, whether it's games like Assassins Creed or something like Dying light which I've been playing recently heaps more open worlds in general, the climbing, traversal of Horizon is completely bad I think and it kind of breaks it's own internal logic in a way where only certain places are climbable, how you have to constantly backtrack from high cliffs because only certain areas and specific points can use the rope to scale down rather than being a systemic mechanic you can use anywhere.

Side quest for me has always been about how unengaging the stories are in the first game, I think the lore of the world ended up being far more interesting than any current day stories so it's a wait and see for me.
Im happy to hear the skill tree is being revamped
The first game's skill tree made absolutely no sense with where unlocks were placed and they were locked behind
I really disliked some of the prowler ones. Like attacking from above or below or jump and attack. I felt it heavily restricted creativity in how players tackle situations that are better of being there immediately rather than gate keeping behind levels. Especially when a lot of games have that as basic combat. It's a big reason for my dislike for "RPG lite" because it feels so artificial and doesn't really make the game any more interesting to play.

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
Even though its good for the combat, I hate Uncharted-like platforming

I really wish we could see more open world games have hardcore platforming like The Last Guardian. The platforming in that game was dizzying and scary because it required precision. Imagine having to navigate a mountain in Horizon and actually feeling like you earned it as opposed to spamming the X button automate everything.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Even though its good for the combat, I hate Uncharted-like platforming

I really wish we could see more open world games have hardcore platforming like The Last Guardian. The platforming in that game was dizzying and scary because it required precision. Imagine having to navigate a mountain in Horizon and actually feeling like you earned it as opposed to spamming the X button automate everything.
When you have a combat sandbox that's as fast paced as Horizon suddenly having to stop to do some really floaty and punishing platforming would be a jarring and most likely not at all engaging contrast. That sort of thing is usually reserved to linear games like The Last Guardian for very good reasons.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
Does every game that has romance in it get pointed out by an ESRB rating?

It'd only be pointed out if there was a sex scene involved. A good example of this is that we learned that Ellie was a lesbian because she kissed Riley in the Left Behind DLC. But the ESRB rating for Remastered makes no mention of that. The only thing it mentions about LB is the part where you can accept Riley's offer to drink alcohol.

So they could definitely go into Aloy having a relationship with someone. It's just not going to lead to any onscreen sex.

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
When you have a combat sandbox that's as fast paced as Horizon suddenly having to stop to do some really floaty and punishing platforming would be a jarring and most likely not at all engaging contrast. That sort of thing is usually reserved to linear games like The Last Guardian for very good reasons.
Yeah I get why it has to be that way, but I disagree that it couldnt work in an open world game.

I think a lot of the fun of adventure games with these huge worlds is carefully appreciating what you're actually doing. If I can just zip past an area because there's a bunch of automated sections, then it loses that sense of adventure and discovery. I never fail platforming sections unless I jump somewhere Im not supposed to, and that just comes off like bad design.

My hope for this game is that if you can platform in most areas freely, there are hidden tricks that you can use to combine with your other gadgets to make for rewarding discovery. The easiest is using the glider, which opens up a lot of possibility, but whether or not they design the world to have that kind of platforming seems unlikely

Venture

Oct 25, 2017
Does every game that has romance in it get pointed out by an ESRB rating?

It'd only be pointed out if there was a sex scene involved. A good example of this is that we learned that Ellie was a lesbian because she kissed Riley in the Left Behind DLC. But the ESRB rating for Remastered makes no mention of that. The only thing it mentions about LB is the part where you can accept Riley's offer to drink alcohol.

So they could definitely go into Aloy having a relationship with someone. It's just not going to lead to any onscreen sex.
Even the barest mention though seems to get a "Sexual Themes" rating, which is missing from Forbidden West. Zero Dawn is listed as having "Mild Sexual Themes" for instance.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah I get why it has to be that way, but I disagree that it couldnt work in an open world game.
I'm not saying that it couldn't work at all in an open world game, just that. It would not fit Horizon's sandbox. It's one of those ideas like Morrowind's like of questing UI. Way more interesting in theory than reasonable practice.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
Even the barest mention though seems to get a "Sexual Themes" rating, which is missing from Forbidden West. Zero Dawn is listed as having "Mild Sexual Themes" for instance.

Left Behind just has suggestive themes. Which the ESRB describes as mild suggestive themes or materials. So that'd be more about a joke or something that's made in it than their relationship. Because Uncharted 4, where Drake and Elena are in a relationship, has none of those labels. It just has violence, blood, alcohol tobacco and language.

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
What about gyro aiming? That was one of the most glaring omissions from the first game, especially compared to BotW.
I've tweeted at them several times asking but no response. I don't have much hope. Drives me nuts that it's such an afterthought for Sony's studios. TLoU2 and Days Gone have it now but it was patched in well after launch. Control options like that should be available day 1 and Horizon in particular seems like an amazing fit for it.

Venture

Oct 25, 2017
Left Behind just has suggestive themes. Which the ESRB describes as mild suggestive themes or materials. So that'd be more about a joke or something that's made in it than their relationship. Because Uncharted 4, where Drake and Elena are in a relationship, has none of those labels. It just has violence, blood, alcohol tobacco and language.
That's good. Maybe Aloy will find a little love then.

R2RD

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 6, 2018
If we get quest with the quality of Waterlogged and more characters like Gildun I'll be happy. Side quests and their cinematics were the worst part of vanilla zero dawn to me along with human combat.

Smoolio

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Haha thanks and yeah hopefully they do with Korra.

I expect nothing with Aloy but will be an unhinged shipper everytime she interacts with another woman.