• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Apr 3, 2020
They've already talked about this (and also showed, SOP last year).

Combat against humans is improved, you now have combos, special attacks, etc.

Same for traversal. No more yellow climbable spots manually placed, now this is procedurally generated (you can use your scanner to see where you can climb if you want but it isn't needed), there's also a hookshot and paraglider to climb/descend more quickly.

Combat against machines was already top tier so not much to improve there besides creating more of them.

To me what I watched from the trailers did not seem an upgrade

Any change to the combat against humans is an upgrade, in the first game it was non exists

If the weightless, messy chaotic combat against the machine was a top tier than I don't know what to say

May 14, 2021
I mainly want the jank to be improved, the character felt disconnected from the environment, traversal was janky and physics a little odd. I don't mean fancy moves or climbing but presence and weight in the world and satisfying movement over different terrain.
Yeah it was like Aloy had no weight to her. Jumping just felt awful. I hope that gets improved.

Giant Panda

Oct 25, 2017
Talanah's in

4063068lzkfz.jpg
Awesome!

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Nothing has topped Witcher 3 side quests for me yet. Idk if I somehow hit the magic combo of the way I strung them together or what, but they crisscrossed so weirdly organically for me at times...nothing has come close since.
well cyberpunk hit that same feel for me. Wich in the end makes sense haha

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
"By default, the game starts on a minimalist mode, where there's as little HUD information on the screen as possible," explains de Jonge. "But in this mode, you can also just swipe up on the touchpad, and that will immediately bring up all the important information, such as objectives, or maybe your health, or your inventory."
This is where I'm at with all games, I'd love it to be a standard feature.

Zlug

Oct 1, 2018
Make it less boring than the first one combatwise/questswise and that will already be a good start for convincing me to buy it on PS4.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Do you have a link to a video that shows off the climb anything aspect? Would appreciate it.
Unfortunately there's no uncut gameplay besides the original demo. But generally you couldn't even do something as basic as this in the original unless it was a specific yellow marked point:
zc9rQ3M.gif

and with the added grapple hook and and BOTWchute you're generally like five times as mobile:
qCWkXjk.gif

nelsonroyale

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Any change to the combat against humans is an upgrade, in the first game it was non exists

If the weightless, messy chaotic combat against the machine was a top tier than I don't know what to say
Maybe that you didn't really have a good grasp of the combat? It was far from messy for me. Frenetic and dynamic against machines, lacking against humans. Overall easily one of the best combat systems for an open world action RPG and this looks even better

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
The combat against the machines was literally the most praised aspect of the game because of how well thought out it was. It's actually crazy how much they nailed that aspect given it was their first ever attempt at something other than killzone.
MZdJvY7.gif

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
It's one of only TWO games I've ever 100%'d/gotten the PS platinum trophy. Needless to say... I need a PS5.

Same I platinium it and replay it multiple time.

Maybe that you didn't really have a good grasp of the combat? It was far from messy for me. Frenetic and dynamic against machines, lacking against humans. Overall easily one of the best combat systems for an open world action RPG and this looks even better

Combat against machine was great, after when you learn attack pattern of the machines you can fight them with style. I like a lot SunhiLegend and Much gif where it show the great things you can do with the combay system. Great fight against human was my number one priority but they improve every aspects.

The combat against the machines was literally the most praised aspect of the game because of how well thought out it was. It's actually crazy how much they nailed that aspect given it was their first ever attempt at something other than killzone.
MZdJvY7.gif

Yes game have many weakness but some element are very good like combat against machines, lore of the old world, Aloy and her journey, a few character were good(Sylen, Rost, Nil, Talanah, Erend).

And it seems they will improve on all weakness,: combat against human, poor melee combat, character development for current world, poor traversal, poor economy and rewards system, poor facial animation sometimes. It was a progress in The frozen wild for some aspect but this time they will go further.

Last edited:

regenhuber

Nov 4, 2017
I will be there day one.

It's just weird how the first one released alongside BOTW and now this will be right next to Elden Ring.
Looks like I will buy the Horizon game again and not touch it for weeks, maybe even months.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, machine combat was superb, especially on higher difficulties. Will be even better with the DualSense. Combat against humans was pretty poor, but it seems Forbidden West will do far better on that front.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
I mainly want the jank to be improved, the character felt disconnected from the environment, traversal was janky and physics a little odd. I don't mean fancy moves or climbing but presence and weight in the world and satisfying movement over different terrain.

This.

I've complained about it before but it's straight bullshit when an enemy begins it's attack animation, I get myself safely out of range of the attack, and suddenly you see the enemy slide impossibly across the ground towards me as the attack animation commences, thus hitting/killing me when I had already reacted appropriately to the attack and got myself out of the way.

Basically, the game saw that at the time of the enemy STARTING the attack, I was in range, but since I got myself OUT of range, it had already decided that the attack was going to land, so since there was now a gap, it just makes the enemy slide toward me to ensure that the attack hits me.

The game has dodge roll and sprinting for a reason, yet it doesn't want to allow me to use those except for a specific number of situations. I played by the games rules and it decided nah, we don't have to play by the rules lolz sorry. /salt

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah climb everything is great and very much needed.

I hope Vanasha is in this, one of the best NPCs in HZD.

dfb4d3280619b959b6cc3be4f9f059d0023bac18.gifv

Hell yeah.

She also mentions being in the Forbidden West as well.

Yeah I dont know what to say to this comment either.

Ovvv

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 11, 2019
I don't feel like it has? The trailers show explicit yellow grab points and grapple points… and they mention scanning and highlighting them now. I don't think you're going to be able to scale the side of a cliff w/ stamina like BOTW.

They said that the yellow grab points are optional to be viewed. They said anything that looks climbable will be climbable (I think they even mentioned mountainsides explicitly?) Whether or not that's true? We'll see...

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
and with the added grapple hook and and BOTWchute you're generally like five times as mobile:
qCWkXjk.gif
She's still grappling to a specific yellow point though…

(I don't really care if it's climb anything… that never really bothered me and I always thought BOTW's climbing was kind of generic looking, just pointing it out that I don't think it's actually climb anything)

OP
OP
Loudninja

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
I don't feel like it has? The trailers show explicit yellow grab points and grapple points… and they mention scanning and highlighting them now. I don't think you're going to be able to scale the side of a cliff w/ stamina like BOTW.

They said this several times now
In the gameplay trailer, you'll have seen Aloy using a variety of new tools in the Forbidden West. "Building upon the foundation of Horizon Zero Dawn, we have added a number of new ways to move through the world," says David McMullen, Lead Systems Designer at Guerrilla. "Aloy can climb freely on and across huge sections of rocky terrain; even more machine types can be used as mounts; grapple points can be found throughout the environment which allows agile vertical traversal; swimming underwater has opened up a whole new aspect of exploration; and gliding with the Shieldwing provides the ultimate view of the beautiful world of Horizon Forbidden West – not to mention a quick way down from great heights!"
"The free climbing system in Horizon Forbidden West is a huge feature we are extremely excited about, as it has allowed us to make large sections of the terrain climbable (where it makes sense visually and narratively) in a way not previously possible in Horizon Zero Dawn. Rocky surfaces in these areas are freely climbable without the use of tribal handholds!'
'Another addition was the high vault traversal mechanic, which essentially allows Aloy to hoist herself on top of any object of jumpable height with room to pull up. Combined with the ability to free climb and adding grapples to our environment, the potential for exploration is greatly increased."

blog.playstation.com

Horizon Forbidden West: Master Aloy’s new abilities

Guerrilla discusses everything to do with traversing and surviving as Aloy in the second entry of its developer blog series.

Gusy

Oct 27, 2017
Any word on technical improvements to the engine graphics wise? Obviously with the PS5 we are going to see a noticeable improvement vs Zero Dawn. But I wonder how would Forbidden West compare to Zero Dawn on a PS4. If we get a better draw distance, more complex geometry, etc...

An upgrade similar to Doom Eternal vs Doom 2016 would be awesome.

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
They said this several times now

blog.playstation.com

Horizon Forbidden West: Master Aloy’s new abilities

Guerrilla discusses everything to do with traversing and surviving as Aloy in the second entry of its developer blog series.

"The free climbing system in Horizon Forbidden West is a huge feature we are extremely excited about, as it has allowed us to make large sections of the terrain climbable (where it makes sense visually and narratively) in a way not previously possible in Horizon Zero Dawn. Rocky surfaces in these areas are freely climbable without the use of tribal handholds!'

Even if it's not "climb anything" like BOTW, this approach sounds way, way better to me. Always thought BOTW's climbing was too generic looking and unrealistic. With this way it actually makes more sense visually.

OP
OP
Loudninja

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
Any word on technical improvements to the engine graphics wise? Obviously with the PS5 we are going to see a noticeable improvement vs Zero Dawn. But I wonder how would Forbidden West compare to Zero Dawn on a PS4. If we get a better draw distance, more complex geometry, etc...

An upgrade similar to Doom Eternal vs Doom 2016 would be awesome.
We know of some differences mention already, scroll down
www.resetera.com

Horizon Forbidden West: Everything You Need to Know

A topic gathering everything we know about Horizon Forbidden West since there so much new stuff I felt this was needed/ Will keep this updated. Got help from Wollan and yukihirasouma Release Date Come out on February 22 2022 Story The World: "The map extends all across the western...

Mar 8, 2018
The restrictive climbing and traversal was my #1 issue with Zero Dawn, and was essentially the sole reason why I dropped the game. It felt archaic, limited, and artificial, and its problems were thrown into stark relief because I played it around the same time as BOTW. So seeing that they've fixed and expanded that aspect makes me extremely excited for Forbidden West. I'm 100% serious when I say that improved traversal has the potential to catapult Horizon into masterpiece status. We could be looking at a classic sequel leap here, akin to the move from Uncharted to Uncharted 2.

Scruffy8642

Jan 24, 2020
That's good to hear, because weak side characters and rubbish side-quests were some of my main complaints with ZD. I just hope they can actually make the actual open world exploration more engaging because the first game was pretty frustrating in that sense.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
The restrictive climbing and traversal was my #1 issue with Zero Dawn, and was essentially the sole reason why I dropped the game. It felt archaic, limited, and artificial, and its problems were thrown into stark relief because I played it around the same time as BOTW. So seeing that they've fixed and expanded that aspect makes me extremely excited for Forbidden West. I'm 100% serious when I say that improved traversal has the potential to catapult Horizon into masterpiece status. We could be looking at a classic sequel leap here, akin to the move from Uncharted to Uncharted 2.

Never understood why people would compare the climbing to Breath of the Wild. Might as well ask why Aloy can't climb like Spider-Man. They were obviously going for a more grounded approach.

Diablos

has a title.
Oct 25, 2017
It also looks like the melee combat is a huge step up. I'm gonna say this will be a serious contender for my personal GOTY, knowing the improvements made over the first game (which was already wonderful despite some flaws.)

Gusy

Oct 27, 2017
We know of some differences mention already, scroll down
www.resetera.com

Horizon Forbidden West: Everything You Need to Know

A topic gathering everything we know about Horizon Forbidden West since there so much new stuff I felt this was needed/ Will keep this updated. Got help from Wollan and yukihirasouma Release Date Come out on February 22 2022 Story The World: "The map extends all across the western...

Thanks. That's a pretty comprehensive overview.

The only thing I could find was this though: " Forbidden West is going to look amazing on the PlayStation 4. We already demonstrated with Horizon Zero Dawn just how pretty our artists and engineers can make an open world on PlayStation 4. Forbidden West is going to look even more pretty on that console. " Which isn't saying much. This could mean that the game is prettier from a Art Design standpoint. Thanks again for your reply

Mar 8, 2018
Never understood why people would compare the climbing to Breath of the Wild. Might as well ask why Aloy can't climb like Spider-Man. They were obviously going for a more grounded approach.
I think it's fine to take a grounded approach, but I think Horizon's implementation of climbing was an overall significant detriment to the game because it highly limited the ways you could engage with the game without providing any interesting gameplay choices in exchange. There's a middle ground between "being grounded" and "everyone is Spider-Man," and the way that Aloy could barely engage in logical interactions with structures and objects was ultimately something I found incredibly frustrating. Even within the game, the limited and constrained traversal felt worlds apart from the dynamic and option-rich robot combat.