Assuming it CAN'T be turned off, are you happy with this decision?

• Yes

Votes: 565 40.8%
  • No

Votes: 474 34.2%
  • Indifferent

Votes: 346 25.0%

• Total voters

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
yes, I have? Both SM games are harder than XY, especially given the Totem fights.

but they're still not difficult. The in game quest has never really been anything more than a precursor to the game opening up after the end and focusing on the social related aspects of the game.

Even Whitney has always been simple and rudimentary to overcome. You either grind until your Pokémon can tank her, exploit type resistances, or actually catch one of the Machop placed conveniently before her. Pokémon bosses rarely do things that invoke the use of smart battle strategies inside the actual game. Even their hardest bosses are rudimentary compared to the old "Nintendo Hard" bosses in other RPGS back in the day.

There aren't any Machop to catch near Whitney. You have to trade for one in Goldenrod.

Future Gazer

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
The "other RPGs do this" defense falls flat when you consider that, you know, most other RPGs actually have selectable difficulty options.

Deleted member 1238

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Will the game be balanced around this? Because past Pokémon games were balanced around the idea that you need to keep all of your Pokémon at about even level (and they were still easy). Now that it appears you have no option to turn EXP Share off I hope enemy Pokémon are higher level overall.

TyraZaurus

Nov 6, 2017
There aren't any Machop to catch near Whitney. You have to trade for one in Goldenrod.

Oh right. Sorry, brain fart.

So they make the matter of beating her even easier by basically handing you a Pokémon super effective against her who gets extra EXP.

compare this to some of the bosses in NES Dragon Warrior. Pokemon isn't hard.

Deleted member 32018

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
I love how fans focus on the 'negatives'. I bet the thread on their being 18 gyms doesn't get as many replies as this one.

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
exploit type resistances, or actually catch one of the Machop placed conveniently before her.
? how is that bad?

She exists to make people learn to use accuracy moves or try other Pokémon instead of just the starter. Of course, they have the option of grinding a bit and that's fine, but it's a good design to have her to teach players of other possible team strategies. When I was a kid almost everyone gave tips to each other to use stuff like sand attack or a rock Pokémon, that's good design to me.

I love how fans focus on the 'negatives'. I bet the thread on their being 18 gyms doesn't get as many replies as this one.
I don't like it too, if you want my opinion. But this is way more concerning for the series future. lol

Deleted member 1238

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The "other RPGs do this" defense falls flat when you consider that, you know, most other RPGs actually have selectable difficulty options.
It's also a dumb argument because, you know, not all RPGs are the same. Just because one game does something doesn't mean that every game needs to do it too. I hate how that argument gets so much traction on Era. It's almost as if people boil games down to nothing but a checklist. It's so sad.

MarcelRguez

Nov 7, 2018
And other difficulty modifiers, speed settings, encounter rate settings... Any of those would be an enourmous QoL change for the franchise, and it looks like we're getting less options instead.

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil
? how is that bad?

She exists to make people learn to use accuracy moves or try other Pokémon instead of just the starter. Of course, they have the option of grinding a bit and that's fine, but it's a good design to have her to teach players of other possible team strategies. When I was a kid almost everyone gave tips to each other to use stuff like sand attack or a rock Pokémon, that's good design to me.

Not to mention that battle made her more way more memorable than any other Gym leader in Johto that's not named Clair.

Charlie0108

Oct 29, 2017
If Catch Exp. is still a thing then you're basically punishing players who honouring of their way to catch new Pokemon by making their teams over-levelled and the game much easier.

TyraZaurus

Nov 6, 2017
? how is that bad?

I'm not saying it's not bad. I'm saying it's not exceptionally difficult. That's what the in game quest is supposed to be. It introduces the player to the staples and mechanics of the series before you go deeper, and get into the real worthwhile stuff, where team building matters more. It's a precursor to the true meat of the game, the raising, catching, and interacting with other players.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Are your Pokemon going to be over-leveled by this like they were the last 2 generations when using EXP Share? Exp Share completely ruined any semblance of balance in those games. I really hope they balanced this appropriately. I don't need a party of 6 Pokemon out-leveling everything in the game because they all get a ton of experience for the same Pokemon fight. Either trainer levels are gonna have to be competitive or exp dolled out is less, which would make the games progression slower.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Oh right. Sorry, brain fart.

So they make the matter of beating her even easier by basically handing you a Pokémon super effective against her who gets extra EXP.

compare this to some of the bosses in NES Dragon Warrior. Pokemon isn't hard.

Literally nobody is arguing Pokemon is hard, they are arguing this takes away the player's ability to impose any kind of challenge.

The option should exist but it shouldn't be locked.

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's also a dumb argument because, you know, not all RPGs are the same. Just because one game does something doesn't mean that every game needs to do it too. I hate how that argument gets so much traction on Era. It's almost as if people boil games down to nothing but a checklist. It's so sad.
Yep. Hate how common this is in this site. Not every game is the same. People just casually ignoring that other RPGs have usually parties with specific characters and not a roster of hundreds and that most Pokémon can oneshot others based on type advantage already.

Not to mention that battle made her more way more memorable than any other Gym leader in Johto that's not named Clair.
Yes. lol No one ever remembers the XY gym battles, yet everyone remembers Whitney. She's a fun challenge and a good way to teach players some new stuff.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
If Catch Exp. is still a thing then you're basically punishing players who honouring of their way to catch new Pokemon by making their teams over-levelled and the game much easier.
At this point, the player character might as well have a level or rank. That way, catching Pokemon (and beating gyms and evolving Pokemon etc etc) levels YOU up. I've thought for years that giving the actual player character a rank or level would allow for more interesting and open design throughout the game. It'd enable level scaling and shit like that, too.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Seeing as we don't know if we can turn it off or if they will balance the game around it, don't you think your 'concern' is a little premature?

Also how can you not like more content (the 18 gyms)?

Hard to celebrate new content if the EXP system fundamentally takes out what so many of us enjoy about the series.

Hopefully it's an option but it doesn't sound like it.

Deleted member 17402

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They really should have a hard mode. Would be dope. Or at least make the main game super easy with end-game content being ridiculously hard.

Xevross

Oct 28, 2017
I'm okay with this but they basically just removed an option here and lots of people won't like it. They're making so many weird decisions with this game which are distracting from the good shit like 18 gyms.

Kirbivore

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The games with encounter settings are pretty minimal as it is.

The games already make several moves utterly pointless because Sou le battles are already a fraction as is. Brute Foce was pretty much the name of the game, and hasnt really changed for the main game as is.

TyraZaurus

Nov 6, 2017
Literally nobody is arguing Pokemon is hard, they are arguing this takes away the player's ability to impose any kind of challenge.

The option should exist but it shouldn't be locked.

they've only shown willingness to make challenge customizable in ONE title in this entire franchise, and even then it was a token effort locked behind a ridiculously esoteric method

this was never gonna be a thing they'd prioritize

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seeing as we don't know if we can turn it off or if they will balance the game around it, don't you think your 'concern' is a little premature?

Also how can you not like more content (the 18 gyms)?
The balance is awful in SM. And I liked that game, but I don't trust them in this aspect.

And I would like 18 gyms if they were all in one game. Don't like the idea of version exclusive gyms. I'm also pretty down on the whole league stuff since they announced there's no Elite 4, one of my favorite aspects of the games. So it actually feels I'm getting less interesting trainer bosses than before.

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
Having the option like in gen 7 (exp all, exp share, off) was the preferred way of doing it, because you can both set how "difficult"/grindy you wanted the leveling experience to be, and you can level EVs much more specifically.

I'm an exp All man all the way, but at first blush, this strikes me as a loss of utility.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
they've only shown willingness to make challenge customizable in ONE title in this entire franchise, and even then it was a token effort locked behind a ridiculously esoteric method

It was optional in literally every 3DS game. There is no reason to change it.

Oct 26, 2017
Game Freak and game balance is like oil and water. I don't have any faith that they won't fuck this up and have you overleveled for certain challenges.

Deleted member 32018

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Hard to celebrate new content if the EXP system fundamentally takes out what so many of us enjoy about the series.

Grinding?

If the game is the easiest thing ever, 18 gyms doesn't mean much.

Pokemon has always been easy so your comment doesn't mean much.

We have multiple generations of games where they didn't balance around the exp share. That's plenty to presume that They won't this time either.

How many of those games have had exp share as compulsory?

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
They should give players the option.

Even though I am playing with that shit on.

If I decide to go the EV route looks like I'll be training a team of 6 with the same stats lol.

Oct 26, 2017

You're misunderstanding the poster you quoted big time. The poster isn't asking about difficulty options, they're asking for the fact that toggling the Exp Share should have remained an option for players to choose as opposed to being the default.

TyraZaurus

Nov 6, 2017
It was optional in literally every 3DS game. There is no reason to change it.

there's no reason to keep it, either, as being able to turn it off didn't really address any of the issues people had with XY's difficulty, and Sun and Moon rebalanced opponents levels and EXP gain compared to its predecessor.

Shared party EXP and bench EXP is becoming more and more standard to RPGs. That game everyone likes to say is better than Pokémon, Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth, gives EXP to your three active members and everyone sitting on your reserves. To the best of my knowledge, they don't allow you to turn that off either.

you all wanted Pokémon to modernize. This is what that looks like.