• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

japtor

Jan 19, 2018
What makes you think you wouldn't have sold sometime before January 28? You could have sold earlier when it was $200. Then it would have shot up to $460 and you would be lamenting about the potential money had you waited an extra day or two. I definitely feel what you're saying, but hindsight is 20/20.
One example applicable right now, if you bought today at the low in the 70s, you could be near doubling up right now since it appears to be shooting up again, and now halted at 137.

Soriku

Nov 12, 2017
Looks like GME and AMC cratered but are slowly creeping back up (obviously not to yesterday's levels, then again it's only about 11:30 EST).

BobsReset

Chicken Chaser
Oct 26, 2017
For anyone tempted to buy in now, this could either go up OR this could be a dead cat bounce which basically happens one last time as a bunch of the last speculative buyers get in before momentum leaves.

I have no idea if it is that but uh... be careful yolo'ing in on the dip.

Kind of interesting Mark Cuban is on WSB doing a AMA atm.

Last edited:

japtor

Jan 19, 2018
For anyone tempted to buy in now, this could either go up OR this could be a dead cat bounce which basically happens one last time as a bunch of the last speculative buyers get in before momentum leaves.

I have no idea if it is that but uh... be careful yolo'ing in on the dip.
Aaaaand diving and halted again.

nikos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
That was the biggest short ladder attack we've seen so far. Soon as things let up, it started to rocket and was immediately halted three times within 10 minutes. The manipulation is clear as day, just look at the charts for GME, AMC, and other "meme" stocks. They all look exactly the same.

Don't settle for losses. Keep holding if you can afford to.

Video Kojima

Banned
Apr 5, 2020
That was the biggest short ladder attack we've seen so far. Soon as things let up, it started to rocket and was immediately halted three times within 10 minutes. The manipulation is clear as day, just look at the charts for GME, AMC, and other "meme" stocks. They all look exactly the same.

Don't settle for losses. Keep holding if you can afford to.
Double my shares, and improved my costing average. I'm holding.

dear speaker

Apr 16, 2020
There should still be some short interest in the game, so we could in theory see another price bump if they decide to buy themselves out. The problem is that, without any independent upwards pressure on the price, it's not really clear why they would want to close their positions instead of just holding their shorts. You would need an exogenous price catalyst of some sort to trigger another squeeze, like Musk going ham on twitter or whatever.

Wane

Nov 3, 2019
Man, this whole thing is so facsinating. Completely agree that WSB reads like like a Q-Anon cult forum these days - whole lotta confirmation bias - but some things dont just add up.
The whole Silver narrative that the media has been pushing these last few days, did definitly not come from the WSB from what I saw. The more savvy parts of media has been catching this as well.

The fuckery afoot gives me more confidence in the GME and AMC squeeze than anything.
Doubled my shares.
I'm the Wimp Lo of trading.

ROFL You sir or mam, are my hero xD

nikos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
I wouldn't buy in right now, no.

What does this mean? Where did you find this info?

It means those who are short (hedges) have to hold their shorts or get out by buying at market value. They can't buy more shorts, which also means they can't perform any more ladder attacks to artificially decrease the stock's value, as they have been over the last few days.

jkh13

Oct 27, 2017
People please don't buy into the conspiracy theories here about GME. Only invest what you are willing to lose and understand that it is a very risky investment right now. It is likely to be very volatile today and jump up and down quickly, don't buy in expecting instant gains because you saw a massive jump.

Also don't buy into that stuff WSB is saying about options expiring today and the squeeze happening for sure, options don't expire on Tuesdays and any talk of a squeeze is pure speculation, the short positions may have simply taken their losses at this point and moved on. Really only invest what you are willing to lose, this is basically gambling with unknown odds at this point.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
There's some shit that fundamental doesn't make sense in terms of overall trading volume and the constant short ladder attacks we've seen every day. People on WSB have been even providing the receipts. It's a strategy that hedge funds ACTUALLY can use. And I'm going to take a wild guess that whatever fines/penalties that will be enforced for this while substantially be lower than the losses that they are avoiding from this strategy.

There has been legitimately a ton of new accounts which came along with a ton of bots posting and mods having to ban them.

Every news article in the media referenced Reddit as promoting silver and almost no one in Wallstreet bet was doing that.

And people are equating the entire place to Qnon?

It would take conspiracy upon conspiracy upon conspiracy to reach levels of Qnon. I would say give it time before you make that jump...

And yes, I'm aware of all their weird idol worship and shitty content that people post there are certainly cult like aspects of that group, but Qnon is a whole another level of ridiculous conspiracies.

Skyzar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What I don't get is that there are thousands of people buying and selling at all neighbouring prices at any given time. What leads to the massive jumps or drops in a matter of seconds? System gaming? Why isn't that looked at.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Will reiterate for casual browsers to temper your hype when reading it from accounts that promised the price would rocket from $350 on Friday Monday Soon! Every new tomorrow is when it's totally going to erupt because of x, y or z.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
No idea but:

It is on the document. Shorting it further restricted I assume...

Seeing a Twitter account like that linking to the NYSE site is surreal lol.

It means those who are short (hedges) have to hold their shorts or get out by buying at market value. They can't buy more shorts, which also means they can't perform any more ladder attacks to artificially decrease the stock's value, as they have been over the last few days.
I see, thanks.

I guess we'll see how this affects the stock price in the next few days.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
Will reiterate for casual browsers to temper your hype when reading it from accounts that promised the price would rocket from $350 on Friday Monday Soon! Every new tomorrow is when it's totally going to erupt because of x, y or z.
I would say for anyone coming new not even think about involving yourself in this right now.

There are so many sensible investments to make. This is literally more of a gamble than it's ever been over the past week.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, as usual, don't put in any money that you're not okay with losing, because it's a very real possibility right now.

If you're not interested in gambling, it's probably less stressful and more fun to watch this whole thing from the sidelines.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
I would say for anyone coming new not even think about involving yourself in this right now.
There are so many sensible investments to make. This is literally more of a gamble than it's ever been over the past week.
I'd echo that to eternity. People should take any piqued interest in stocks and convert that energy into learning the basics. Take the time to understand things instead of playing catch-up with knowledge. Then, if it's still your cup of tea, make a confident entry with some research at your back.

gerg

Oct 25, 2017
I know a couple of people who got in on Thursday, I think - one of them tried to buy in at $300 but somehow ended up buying in at $400 (I presume due to a poor internet connection), and then bought in again at $290.

I feel quite bad for them now...

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
Are there any apps to buy gamestop stock from Europe? I don't see any info online
eToro allows for that. Maybe other platforms also allow for it too, but eToro is the only one i know for sure.

Man this whole halting shit is so ridiculous
I might be wrong, but i think one of the idea behind automatic halting is to have some security in case a stock drop too fast in price, so people have more time to react.

anotherdoof

Oct 27, 2017
There's some shit that fundamental doesn't make sense in terms of overall trading volume and the constant short ladder attacks we've seen every day. People on WSB have been even providing the receipts. It's a strategy that hedge funds ACTUALLY can use. And I'm going to take a wild guess that whatever fines/penalties that will be enforced for this while substantially be lower than the losses that they are avoiding from this strategy.

There has been legitimately a ton of new accounts which came along with a ton of bots posting and mods having to ban them.

Every news article in the media referenced Reddit as promoting silver and almost no one in Wallstreet bet was doing that.

And people are equating the entire place to Qnon?

It would take conspiracy upon conspiracy upon conspiracy to reach levels of Qnon. I would say give it time before you make that jump...

And yes, I'm aware of all their weird idol worship and shitty content that people post there are certainly cult like aspects of that group, but Qnon is a whole another level of ridiculous conspiracies.

Short ladder attacks work on low volume stocks because large players can hurt price discovery. It's not going to work on GME, the volume is sufficiently high enough to prevent that.

And just like QAnon, just shouting short ladder attack doesn't make it true.

Trust the plan (just keep moving the goalposts, it was Friday Options Expiration, Tuesday Option Buying, Short Sales banned Wednesday....)

Lube Man

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 18, 2021
******NOT A FINANCIAL ADVISE*****

Do. NOT. Fall. For. Bull. Trap.

You're HONESTLY bound to make more money investing in ANY decent stock.

New investors, now that you've tasted the market, buy something smart.

CCIV
BLNK
XL
TSLA
SPCE
MSFT
AAPL
IPOE
FUBO
SNDL
PLUG
PLTR
LI
NIO
TLRY

Anything man. Anything.

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
Hooray financial regulations put in place after previous market corrections?

So weird seeing this place complain about these types of things. Halting circuit breakers, collateral requirements, uptick rule... all bad now?

although thinking about where a lot of people pouring cash into this were back in '08 it makes sense people are upset at brokers not offering stocks, etc. i guess

Deleted member 46804

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 17, 2018
Hooray financial regulations put in place after previous market corrections?

So weird seeing this place complain about these types of things. Halting circuit breakers, collateral requirements, uptick rule... all bad now?
No it isn't. This is to be expected with people coming into a world they know nothing about making stupid decisions.

anotherdoof

Oct 27, 2017
What I don't get is that there are thousands of people buying and selling at all neighbouring prices at any given time. What leads to the massive jumps or drops in a matter of seconds? System gaming? Why isn't that looked at.

Because there are thousands of people buying and selling all the time? Current volume at this time is 52M shares today.

What leads to massive jumps or drops is large volume of sales. Large volumes can move the price entirely on their own. We are talking millions of dollars of shares being moved.

Think of it this way. I want to buy 10000 GameStop shares. 100 people holding 10 shares want to sell at prices ranging from $195 to $215. If i enter the 10000 GameStop shares in at market price, as I buy, the stock will slowly push up as I buy up the supply at lower levels.

Now imagine large investors are throwing around millions of dollars.

Last edited:

Doomburrito

Feb 9, 2018

A ladder attack is through selling, not shorting. From what I understand, this won't have any impact on their ability to ladder attack.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
Short ladder attacks work on low volume stocks because large players can hurt price discovery. It's not going to work on GME, the volume is sufficiently high enough to prevent that.

And just like QAnon, just shouting short ladder attack doesn't make it true.

Trust the plan (just keep moving the goalposts, it was Friday Options Expiration, Tuesday Option Buying, Short Sales banned Wednesday....)
Have you been looking at charts over the past few days? GameStop had relatively low volume (during this time trading was also limited on GME across multiple brokages). Even the bid ask and prices going back and forth and the quantity at each of those incremental prices looked strange. This is just what I've been observing after it was pointed out.