• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

anotherdoof

Oct 27, 2017
Have you been looking at charts over the past few days? GameStop had relatively low volume (during this time trading was also limited on GME across multiple brokages). Even the bid ask and prices going back and forth and the quantity at each of those incremental prices looked strange. This is just what I've been observing after it was pointed out.

When I mean low volume, I'm talking non existing volume. Like OTC/Pink Sheets. GME's worst day volume wise in the last week was still 37M shares traded, out of 69.7M total shares outstanding. To give you an idea, the 50 day GME average volume was 32M. So no, its not relatively low.

As for incremental pricing, HFT front run your trades. The reason why Robinhood is free is they sell order flow to Citadel, who then front runs your trades.

Also while it make may you and a lot of people on wallstreetbets feel good, you are still a very small fish in a very large pool. Don't confused what individuals will do (sell at round numbers) with what hedge funds and institutions do.

Remember hedge funds are greedy as fuck, and their managers have huge egos. They'll gladly fuck over another hedge fund if it make them money, including buying discounted shares in this theoretical short ladder attack.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and foreverâ„¢
Sep 24, 2019
******NOT A FINANCIAL ADVISE*****

Do. NOT. Fall. For. Bull. Trap.

You're HONESTLY bound to make more money investing in ANY decent stock.

New investors, now that you've tasted the market, buy something smart.

CCIV
BLNK
XL
TSLA
SPCE
MSFT
AAPL
IPOE
FUBO
SNDL
PLUG
PLTR
LI
NIO
TLRY

Anything man. Anything.
What are you basing any of this on? You can't just say "not financial advice" and then drop a list of stocks out there that are "smart" to invest in.

pink

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
lmao usually when people get hyped for the circuit breaker list they're referring to penny stocks. yikes

Skyzar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Because there are thousands of people buying and selling all the time? Current volume at this time is 52M shares today.

What leads to massive jumps or drops is large volume of sales. Large volumes can move the price entirely on their own. We are talking millions of dollars of shares being moved.

Think of it this way. I want to buy 10000 GameStop shares. 100 people holding 10 shares want to sell at prices ranging from $195 to $215. If i enter the 10000 GameStop shares in at market price, as I buy, the stock will slowly push up as I buy up the supply at lower levels.

Now imagine large investors are throwing around millions of dollars.

Why would anyone ever do day trading then, at any point in time you can just get completely fucked by the decision of one very large player who says, okay time to sell I want to buy something else.

The only safe plays are when decent companies are at an all time low and there's some chance they can bounce back again. And big players are on board. Watch it like a hawk incase they jump out at any given time though.

Have you been looking at charts over the past few days? GameStop had relatively low volume (during this time trading was also limited on GME across multiple brokages). Even the bid ask and prices going back and forth and the quantity at each of those incremental prices looked strange. This is just what I've been observing after it was pointed out.

This is the stuff WSB was pushing. Didn't work out when they were downvoting any point of view that wanted to discuss or consider the strength of those points. Strange.

Last edited:

anotherdoof

Oct 27, 2017
Why would anyone ever do day trading then, at any point in time you can just get completely fucked by the decision of one very large player who says, okay time to sell I want to buy something else.

Because people have egos and believe they can beat the market. Day trading statistically is a suckers game.

Over time you will underperform the market. Best thing to do is buy some diversified index funds and then go do something more fun and productive with your time.

To be fair though, when you have less money to throw around, its can be easier to locate market distortions without affecting the market too much. Its why large mutual funds struggle to produce large gains. They are so large they move the needle on their own. Smaller, more agile funds can more easily target smaller inefficiencies and achieve outsized gains.

Think of the DeepValue guy on reddit. If he had 50 million dollars, he'd have a harder time making those crazy gains just because buying 50 million dollars in stock/options would have pushed the price up, reducing his potential windfall.

Lube Man

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 18, 2021
What are you basing any of this on? You can't just say "not financial advice" and then drop a list of stocks out there that are "smart" to invest in.
True. Just warning people to look into genuine profitable or future profit companies. GME was a fun ride last week, but thats where it stops.

Personally, renewable energy is the future. Any major company dealing with EV and other data driven electric businesses are booming ever since Biden is elected.

I wish I knew many more names to throw here for others to research, but my personal list is limited haha.

Wise to just do your own research, but try not to fall for these bull traps. Looking at volume for GME, most people got in today when it was at the highest, so yeah a lot of people are falling for the bull trap.

Chronos

Oct 27, 2017
Bought a single share in the dip today at $93. Basically don't care if it goes to zero, just playing for fun.

Lube Man

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 18, 2021
Bought a single share in the dip today at $93. Basically don't care if it goes to zero, just playing for fun.
Thats the way to do it!

Don't drop your life savings on this. Just have fun with these meme stocks. Even wallstreetbet is baffled that we keep forget the word BET in Wallstreetbet. Its a joke community that occasionally hits home run.

Skyzar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Apparently Mark Cuban told redditors to hold and buy back when RH opens up trading again.

WSB keeps referrencing VW 08
QV1GgJV.png

Which does look remarkably similar [edit: AS POINTED OUT BELOW - NOPE] ...except Porsche had most of the stock. Though institutions do own a lot of GME too.

Fuck me am I going to buy at the dip?

Last edited:

anotherdoof

Oct 27, 2017
Apparently Mark Cuban told redditors to hold and buy back when RH opens up trading again.

They keep referrencing VW 08
QV1GgJV.png

Which does look remarkably similar...except Porsche had most of the stock. Though institutions do own a lot of GME too.

VW isn't GME. History does not necessarily repeat itself.

Oct 25, 2017

They keep referrencing VW 08
QV1GgJV.png

Which does look remarkably similar...except Porsche had most of the stock. Though institutions do own a lot of GME too.

Note that the spike is less than 10x what it was at the low points on either of the graph. Gamestop was already 100x what it was trading for six months ago. So not only did we have a massively larger spike, it is already in the past.

The person that made the GME arrow tag and line is a lying fucking piece of shit with an insane and intentional miscalibration. Portraying the peak as only 2x or 3x the long part is just absolutely fucking vile and dishonest.

LebGuns

Oct 25, 2017

Rochet

May 13, 2018
I think with (GE) General Electric making profits again although rather small, they have definitely turned the company around. GE could make 100 percent in 1 to 2 yrs. GE is in 4 major division. GE Engine, Medical, Electricity, Renewable. With its 3rd and 4th quarter stock now in the positive again and the possibility of aviation coming back again with the administration pushing for green energy. I think GE can be a definite long term buy from here. Thats my opinion

Skyzar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Note that the spike is less than 10x what it was at the low points on either of the graph. Gamestop was already 100x what it was trading for six months ago. So not only did we have a massively larger spike, it is already in the past.

The person that made the GME arrow tag and line is a lying fucking piece of shit with an insane and intentional miscalibration. Portraying the peak as only 2x or 3x the long part is just absolutely fucking vile and dishonest.

Yeah, I mean that's a great point too.

I'll buy when it hits $30 tomorrow.

Last edited:

SaintBowWow

Oct 25, 2017
Might buy some now that it is under $100.

This is not financial advice, but that is probably a bad idea. People were interested in GME because they were anticipating a huge spike in value and assumed they could bail before it came back down to earth. People were not buying it because they thought it was a good long term hold at $200+. It's still ridiculously overpriced at $100 so unless the peak is still to come and this is just a momentary dip then the stock is likely to continue going down. If you already know all this and want to buy more because you think it's going to spike again then have at it, but if the recent frenzy has made you think that GME is actually a good stock to own then I want to make sure you know what you're doing.

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
unknown.png

not mine but good lord. Hope the fellas that bought are safe.
Those with it as free stock are the ones laughing the most.
A call option isn't an obligation, its an option. No idea what the premium would be on decline, but it scales with how extreme the call point is.

My understanding is that they bought enough calls to where taking all the options would be $25M at $800, not that they're hooked to $25M in premiums if they decline.

To give you all some frame of reference here, Nancy Pelosi and her husband just took the option on 25 calls for Tesla at $500. That was market value in November. They had the option up until March 2022 but exercised it now. The sum total of the options were for $1.12M.

If she or her husband had declined they would have paid a premium, but not the full $1.12M.

Basically, someone is hedging their bets (pardon the pun) in case GME goes "to the moon!", at which point they can pay the $25M and take as many shares as that gets for $800 per, regardless of the market price. If it doesn't they'll only be obligated to pay a far smaller premium for the option, with an expiry none of us are privy to at this time.

1. it avoided bankruptcy because of this stock value surge, not any kind of new revenue.
2. AMC was in the $6-$7 range pre-COVID, down from $30's in '17. Its already a declining venture as streaming eats everyone's market and the major movie producers have all the leverage and an incentive (their streaming services) to squeeze AMC's margins.
3. GME was unique in that shorts greatly exceeded 1:1 with total stock. Nothing else has exceeded a 1:1 ratio. AMC might have a lot of shorts, but there is no need to effectively "double cover" with inventory getting flipped multiple times over. It isn't analogous.
4. Show the math on why you think $88 is some magic number for AMC, I'm genuinely interested, not a rhetorical question.

AMC might be a solid buy in the $6-$10 range as a hold through 2021 and dump post-COVID bounce but I'm not seeing how its a great play thinking another big squeeze and skyrocket is going to happen.
Sorry for not responding earlier, was asleep! I still believe AMC has movement thanks to a post-vaccine bump, and I bought in at $10 or something with money I won't miss. I'm not dumb, and hence why I've said before only invest if you know the market and have the money to lose. Stock market as a day trader is shit, this has further proven it. The hedge funds have so much fucking power it's astonishing no one has clamped on it, I mean just look at the sheer force they created in media bias and distraction alongside brokerage control. How the hell is that even legal?

The $88 thing was a regurgitation of some WSB meme referencing Back to the Future. Heck at $20-$30 I would make double/triple the profit so I don't care where it lands for me. I know it will get a bump like I saw on the ASX with retail/commercial when our states opened up. Heck even with Western Australia in lockdown supermarkets had a boon due to panic buying and guaranteed high profits.

Last edited:

ADS

Oct 27, 2017
The hedge funds have so much fucking power it's astonishing no one has clamped on it, I mean just look at the sheer force they created in media bias and distraction alongside brokerage control. How the hell is that even legal?

Ah yes, it's all the Fake News Media's fault! Them and their corrupt back room dealings with the Clintons! Wait, which conspiracy were we talking about again?

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Ah yes, it's all the Fake News Media's fault! Them and their corrupt back room dealings with the Clintons! Wait, which conspiracy were we talking about again?
You may joke, but it is a legitimate thing with clear attempts at misguiding those who jumped in with investing being their first time rodeo with falsehoods like investing in silver of all things as a short term profit win. Commodities have never been a short term gain, they have always been a long term profit margin investment so why the hell would people jump on silver of all things wanting to get that GME repeat? No way there wasn't any meddling going on by the bigger funds/investors who stand to lose waaaay more money then day traders.

japtor

Jan 19, 2018
No idea but:

It is on the document. Shorting it further restricted I assume...

Looking at the spreadsheet it looks like it's saying the opposite? On the left has trigger date 2/1 at 9:30 (basically when market opened) and deactivation 2/3, like it gets off the short restriction list Wednesday?
Yeah, as usual, don't put in any money that you're not okay with losing, because it's a very real possibility right now.

If you're not interested in gambling, it's probably less stressful and more fun to watch this whole thing from the sidelines.
And if you do like gambling, just grabbing $100 of scratchers is probably more fun and way less stressful.
I know a couple of people who got in on Thursday, I think - one of them tried to buy in at $300 but somehow ended up buying in at $400 (I presume due to a poor internet connection), and then bought in again at $290.

I feel quite bad for them now...
Hopefully they didn't keep on buying on the way down as people keep pushing...

CCIV
BLNK
XL
TSLA
SPCE
MSFT
AAPL
IPOE
FUBO
SNDL
PLUG
PLTR
LI
NIO
TLRY

Anything man. Anything.
Some of those are not like the others 🤔

Smart/easy buy is some ETFs. Individual stock picking is a betting game. (Personal disclosure: ignore that my bet on Apple over 20 years ago worked out handsomely)

The only safe plays are when decent companies are at an all time low and there's some chance they can bounce back again. And big players are on board. Watch it like a hawk incase they jump out at any given time though.
Day traders aren't idiots doing things blindly, and in a sense know it's like managed gambling. They know they'll take their losses but the key is limiting them and taking gains as much as possible. With how much movement there is constantly everywhere in the market, they can make some educated bets and have a bunch of gains to cancel out whatever losses. But micromanaging a portfolio to that level can be stressful as shit and definitely not for everyone. Hell I have a few friends that did it in their 20s and all got out before their 30s cause they couldn't stand the grind anymore.
Not loading right now but I read it earlier, I took it as more general advice rather than GME specifically. Like if you really believe in a stock, hold on to it through whatever dips. Good advice, assuming you have valid reasons to believe in it (that was my bet on Apple long ago and throughout the many massive drops over the years).

I have no reason to believe that's the case with GME for most people. Everyone is looking for a quick buck to eventually dump rather than believing GameStop's business model will ever be worth this much.

(However if you truly believe GameStop is the next Amazon, god speed)

ADS

Oct 27, 2017
You may joke, but it is a legitimate thing with clear attempts at misguiding those who jumped in with investing being their first time rodeo with falsehoods like investing in silver of all things as a short term profit win.

People keep saying this but it's not what happened. Like I said earlier in the thread, I've been a WSB member for years. I saw a bunch of WSB-ers pumping silver a day or two before the media picked it up. The media started (accurately) reporting that WSBers were pumping it, until other WSBers (keep in mind, there are 8 million of them now) saw it, realized it was taking focus off of $GME and started claiming it was a coordinated "fAkE NeWs!" takedown.

RobertM

Oct 31, 2017
Tactics to hold funds are bizarre. Took

Whoever says DIAMOND HANDS and didn't cash out here and there is a goddammit liar.

This person fell for the mess of a volatile market.
A lot of people didn't cash out, hence not much volume movement. When you take loses like that you are forced to hold, the market still does not reflect the current demand or the actual price of the stock. That person will just have to be a LONG on the stock and that's about it.

People mass panicked when Bitcoin dropped, and here we are.

And FYI, all shorted stocks dropped in the same pattern if you haven't noticed.

ADS

Oct 27, 2017
A lot of people didn't cash out, hence not much volume movement. When you take loses like that you are forced to hold, the market still does not reflect the current demand or the actual price of the stock.

This is the part that is going to be interesting, there are a lot of bagholders left to sell. When this starts to really dump it's going to be epic.

RoastBeeph

Oct 29, 2017
The whole idea that this movement is hurting hedge funds is a pipe dream. The hedge funds are too smart, too sophisticated. They have already repositioned themselves to take advantage of this situation. I am sure they are making $$$ off this. The people who will be eating losses are the small retail traders, especially the people who jumped in last week from FOMO, first time stock buyers who have no clue what they are doing.

japtor

Jan 19, 2018
A lot of people didn't cash out, hence not much volume movement. When you take loses like that you are forced to hold, the market still does not reflect the current demand or the actual price of the stock. That person will just have to be a LONG on the stock and that's about it.

People mass panicked when Bitcoin dropped, and here we are.

And FYI, all shorted stocks dropped in the same pattern if you haven't noticed.
Bitcoin is different cause the value isn't based on the same basic principles...at least by classical definition. I guess an interesting possibility would be if enough people stay or keep buying in, GME could essentially be completely detached from GameStop's business for a sustained period. The effect (or non effect) of quarterly announcements would be really interesting to watch if that happens.
Why would he or her cash out now?
To limit losses if you assume it'll continue tanking, i.e. better to lose $110k before it becomes a $150k loss. Hold if you believe it'll go up (or at least just reduce the loss), but long term there's no reason to believe that'll happen. (outside of totally wacky crypto like situation I mention above)

SaintBowWow

Oct 25, 2017
I'm wondering if GME and AMC will be worth putting money into once they bottom out just to take advantage of their meme stock volatility. To be clear I took profits so I would just do this with house money; this is not financial advice.

ADS

Oct 27, 2017
The whole idea that this movement is hurting hedge funds is a pipe dream. The hedge funds are too smart, too sophisticated. They have already repositioned themselves to take advantage of this situation. I am sure they are making $$$ off this. The people who will be eating losses are the small retail traders, especially the people who jumped in last week from FOMO, first time stock buyers who have no clue what they are doing.

This video makes that point:

Robinhood investors in $GME and $AMC have basically done a wealth transfer from retail to hedge funds and high frequency trading firms.

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
I agree. Even if GME still have 5500 shops, it still a declining business. It's like buying stocks for Blockbuster.
My worry with Gamestop is how small a lot of the stores are. It would be hard for them to pivot to selling more clothing or PC gear, for instance. Let alone something completely different like a barcade.

Demon_Ice

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 18, 2021

CCIV
BLNK
XL
TSLA
SPCE
MSFT
AAPL
IPOE
FUBO
SNDL
PLUG
PLTR
LI
NIO
TLRY

Anything man. Anything.

PLUG, SPCE, and PLTR are not smart long-term positions lol

Skyzar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Looking at the spreadsheet it looks like it's saying the opposite? On the left has trigger date 2/1 at 9:30 (basically when market opened) and deactivation 2/3, like it gets off the short restriction list Wednesday?
Yeah I think you're right, it reads as though they couldn't short it yesterday and today but can tomorrow lol. It's going to be a rough day.

Not loading right now but I read it earlier, I took it as more general advice rather than GME specifically. Like if you really believe in a stock, hold on to it through whatever dips. Good advice, assuming you have valid reasons to believe in it (that was my bet on Apple long ago and throughout the many massive drops over the years).

I have no reason to believe that's the case with GME for most people. Everyone is looking for a quick buck to eventually dump rather than believing GameStop's business model will ever be worth this much.

(However if you truly believe GameStop is the next Amazon, god speed)

It was much more specific than general advice I'm afraid:

Supply and Demand, but in this case it literally could be because the source of demand has been crippled . When RH shut it down, then cut it back, lets put aside why, they cut of the greatest source of demand. They created a RobinHood Dive. No RH buyers, means sellers lower their price to find buyers. And they keep on lowering it till they find buyers. Keep the most natural buyers out of the market and the price keeps on FALLING.
Then that drop accelerates because the more the stock falls the more owners who bought on margin get margin calls. When that margin call happens, its brutal. They just take your stock, send you a fuck you note and sell your stock at the market price, no matter how low. They just want to get your cash to pay back the loan.
That then accelerates the selling.
Which then leads to what we are seeing in the market right now with GME in particular

So what to do ?
If you can afford to hold the stock, you hold. I dont own it, but thats what i would do.
Why ? because when RH and the other online brokers open it back up to buyers, then we will see what WSB is really made of. That is when you get to make it all work.

I have no doubt that there are funds and big players that have shorted this stock again thinking they are smarter than everyone on WSB.
I know you are going to hate to hear this, but the lower it goes, the more powerful WSB can be stepping up to buy the stock again. The only question is what broker do you use . Do you stay with RH , who is going to have the same liquidity problems over and over again, or do you as a group find a broker with a far, far, far better balance sheet that wont cut you off and then go ham on Wall Street.

People are going to lose all of it.

I wonder when the "IF HE'S STILL IN, I'M STILL IN" posts end. DFV was in this for the long position... not just specifically for the squeeze. AFAIK he didn't even start the whole diamond hand business (that ignores that retail don't own most of the stock). I think he's scared to pull out now.

Last edited:

rickyson33

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
was never in on this but kinda disappointed by how boring the ending of it is turning out to be

was hoping for more of an explosive fall than this bleeding out over several days for dramas sake

SaintBowWow

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I wonder when the "IF HE'S STILL IN, I'M STILL IN" posts end. DFV was in this for the long position... not just specifically for the squeeze. AFAIK he didn't even start the whole diamond hand business (that ignores that retail don't own most of the stock). I think he's scared to pull out now.

But even as a long term holder he has to understand that GME will never reach these prices again even under better management, right? I think the general logic is that DFV realized this play that everyone else thought was dumb, so you might as well just ride it out with him and trust he sees things you don't.

Skyzar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
But even as a long term holder he has to understand that GME will never reach these prices again even under better management, right? I think the general logic is that DFV realized this play that everyone else thought was dumb, so you might as well just ride it out with him and trust he sees things you don't.
I think he's worried he'll be a villian if he pulls out before it rock bottoms. If he pulls out at any stage, the thing falls apart. Everyone loses rapidly...rather than giving people a chance to pull out slowly... I dunno man. I think this went places he wasn't expecting. He might have to go down with the ship.

People know his face and he might even be in danger afterwards.

Plus, he's made $13 million already.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
This video makes that point:

Robinhood investors in $GME and $AMC have basically done a wealth transfer from retail to hedge funds and high frequency trading firms.

Pretty much. People that were hyping this up past its peak and trying to shill people on an inevitable pump around the corner should be ashamed. Regurgitating bullshit to try and con others into holding bags so they get a chance at a better out. You saw it here as it as early as this morning and still see people doing it with bum stocks already well past their prime.