• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Xer0

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think that's more along the lines of "buy this for someone you love," which is basically every Holiday campaign ever.

If it does well, no chance it goes away.

True, but the fine print also says "must be activated by 1/31/18" which makes me think they stop selling it at that point.

Unless, as you say, it takes off.

Riderz1337

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Damn that seems incredible... If it really will work on new releases it would be an amazing deal.

Here's hoping they have it for Eb Games equivalent in Canada...

Ah who am I kidding. We never get anything good here haha

Se_7_eN

Oct 25, 2017
PRE-OWNED titles only... So, most likely no new releases in stock and it will be quite a while until they are.

Wozzer

QA Architect at Riot Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Sounds like a great deal. It will depend heavily on stock though. I recall trying to go full rental in the last and it resulting in me playing a lot of poor games whilst waiting for popular rentals to come back in stock.

Timelost

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
This sounds great, can't wait to read the wall of fine print.

If anything, I hope this puts more pressure on Xbox game pass to have some newer titles. Competition is good.

Unlovedjew

Oct 26, 2017
Damn, and I just re-upped my GameFly sub for Sonic Forces and Wolfenstein. This is great though, because now I don't have to wait weeks for a games availability and for shipping.

I'm getting this ASAP.

Sylar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I bet the CSA will be pressed to hard sell every time someone signed up to this program comes in to a store.

Oct 25, 2017
all depends on how good the selection at your local store is. The thing I would worry about as other's have said is the condition of those games.

twisted

Oct 25, 2017
As an old part time employee I can guarantee that management of the stores can make "exceptions" where they go "its our last copy, and its reserved for purchase only" same as when certain store managers wont let employees cancel reserves "Sir, we provided you with a beta code - your $5 deposit is nonrefundable since you played the game" this kind of crap is why I only shop at stores where my friends still work

But minus my negative comments its a great deal to constantly try out games and working there this was the 1 perk I used the most and paying $60 to me is worth it - Gameflys availability and shipping times are what always hurt and this solves most of those problems.

Uno Venova

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh I'll definitely keep an eye out for this. I'll especially need this for the first half of next year...

Fantomex

Oct 25, 2017
They probably did good business with the Summer Swap. I played a ton of games and ended up with Yakuza which was great. The only negative thing is that it depends on what your gamestop has in stock. You can swap at any gamestop but if you're out in timbuktu you're kinda screwed until someone traded in a good game. I gather this is for used games only again?

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
How long is the list of stuff employees usually push on customers now?

Pro membership, current triple A game pre-orders, used games and this?
Those plus Elite Pro and the GPG warranty

I do not envy you guys. One of many aspects of working in retail I hate. Promoting services, insurance/protection plans, etc. are the worst.
I've never been closer to death's sweet embrace than I am working in retail

Voytek

Oct 25, 2017
A few years back a worker at Gamestop told me I could do something similar to this. He said I could buy a used game, play it for 7 days, then swap it for a new one and that I could continue doing this for as long as I wanted( just so long as I didn't go over the 7 day period). I didn't actually do it but this deal seems a lot like that just without the 7 day thing.

Prophane33

Oct 25, 2017
尾張国
As someone that doesn't like purchasing used disc games from Gamestop (as they seem to take anything in any condition), I might actually take advantage of this offer.

Hatebringer

Oct 26, 2017
Seems too good to be true. I'd imagine you'll end up having a real hard time getting your hands on new releases.

Deleted member 8106

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I suggested on a rental system years ago on the old forum, this seems similar (in Italy, or at least here where I live there's no way to rent games(. This is very similar, but I think it's too luck dependent. In my local Gamestop it's pretty much impossible to find good, recent pre-owned games.
They are stuck with stuff like Killzone Shadow Fall, Shadow of Mordor etc. From time to time you can find recent titles. like Ni-Oh, but they tend to disappear in no time. So no, for 60$ is pretty much a gambling affair at this point.

Oct 26, 2017
California
Are they going to start limiting which games they have out as used? Or...? What's the fine print? Cuz this seems like a crazy good deal.

EDIT: Is it going to be more like a [limited] "library" of used games to choose from, or is it literally "any used game [they have] in the store" type of thing?

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
To be honest what I like about this is that it's a way of potentially encouraging people to try games they just never got around to say, when they came out three years ago. Particularly things that might retain a fair bit of their market value and so deter buying in now, but to try for free over a weekend? Why not?

Gonna echo the sentiment of hoping GAME has something like this.

Oct 26, 2017
Seems like a terrific deal. Almost too good to be true. I could walk to GameStop on my lunch break. If this includes any used game and I can keep one at the end of the 6-months, I'm all over this.

Ancirawr

Oct 26, 2017
Denton, TX.
Looks fantastic and I'm definitely interested, but idk man. A little too good, like the deal might have some massive catch in the fine print. I'll be finding out though because there are a ton of games I don't want to necessarily keep.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah that would certainly help. Despite being a GF member since 2007 I did have to stop recently since the prices were getting a bit high for my budget.
Really? I have been a member since 09 and I rarely noticed the prices gone up. I've been paying $25 a month for 2 games since as far I can remember.

Spine_Ripper

Oct 25, 2017
This is like the moviepass of games lol. Sounds way too good to be true. If it works like we all hope, this might just be enough to get me to start going to GS.

Cardon

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
Really? I have been a member since 09 and I rarely noticed the prices gone up. I've been paying $25 a month for 2 games since as far I can remember.

Yeah I think I was doing the 3 game plan for a bit and then switched to two games. Just had to put my sub on pause for a bit since I wasn't playing a lot due to watching my kid.

greelay

Oct 26, 2017
A few years back a worker at Gamestop told me I could do something similar to this. He said I could buy a used game, play it for 7 days, then swap it for a new one and that I could continue doing this for as long as I wanted( just so long as I didn't go over the 7 day period). I didn't actually do it but this deal seems a lot like that just without the 7 day thing.
Yeah, can you not do that anymore?

Ancirawr

Oct 26, 2017
Denton, TX.
This is like the moviepass of games lol. Sounds way too good to be true. If it works like we all hope, this might just be enough to get me to start going to GS.

Yeah I work at a theater and movie pass is awesome; we're consistently shocked people don't use it considering how great it is. If this deal is legit, people need to jumping on it while the iron is hot.

resident_UA

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I currently use Gamefly, but this is much better deal. I'm on two game plan just to always have a game, but I play only one game at a time anyway... I also only try to get newly released games, so this Gamestop deal isn't as good if they don't have new games available right away.

Oct 26, 2017

Yeah I work at a theater and movie pass is awesome; we're consistently shocked people don't use it considering how great it is. If this deal is legit, people need to jumping on it while the iron is hot.

Stupid question, but what is Movie Pass?

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
The only problem I could see with this, specially if it takes off. Is the fact that the games you want are not going to be available. Of course, If you are able to go to another store than that's cool but say you don't have another store nearby, that's when things can be problematic for this. Specially if you only own one console/system.

I might actually give it a shot and at the same time have my gamefly but with 1 game out (can't cancel because I'll lose my coupon rights). That last game to keep will be one hell of a decision XD