• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
I may do this as well. Only issue is the trophy hunter in me may not like playing a game and then returning it after beating it. (recently started to clear off Trophy lists)

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
Sad to hear it's delayed. If it's because their computers suck (and they do) are we ever going to get this? Rolling out a new computer program or whatever won't happen over night. Did they even test this shit out?

Turtleboats

Nov 13, 2017
Didn't they have this program for gamestops this past summer (it was 3 months then iirc?) so shouldn't there be something like this in their system?

I think this is a sick deal - if theres no strings attached on keeping your last free game :), but I am sure there is...or else it would be too easy to abuse it no? Unless they are really just looking for customer traffic in their shops.

mantis23

Oct 27, 2017
According to some of the folks over at r/GameStop, stores have been instructed to destroy the ads and even the full size holiday books that mention PowerPass. Doesn't sound like it will be a thing for a long time, if at all.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
According to some of the folks over at r/GameStop, stores have been instructed to destroy the ads and even the full size holiday books that mention PowerPass. Doesn't sound like it will be a thing for a long time, if at all.
God damn, what an insane fuckup. I wonder if their Black Friday ads have already been printed with this offer intact?

Turtleboats

Nov 13, 2017
DCNxopuXYAEZd9L.jpg:large

This was their summer promo - it seems odd to me that they are blaming their infrastructure. I am guessing that with the switch/scorpio having come out and getting a bit more traffic on top of the holiday business boom - perhaps they felt like they didn't need this in their busiest months. I don't blame em if that is the case.

Makes sense why they did it in the summer though - probably less people playing games since people are out more, lull periods in the gaming release schedule...etc etc.

I am sure this program will come back in the future if they thought about doing it again this winter.

NightMarcher

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Hawaii
Do like, do want.

Am concerned though about the supply of in demand games with other customers always taking them out.

EDIT: wait, what? It's been cancelled? That sucks.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
Well, that's a wrap. We should've known, this program was too good. Super disappointed...

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
Didn't they have this program for gamestops this past summer (it was 3 months then iirc?) so shouldn't there be something like this in their system?

I think this is a sick deal - if theres no strings attached on keeping your last free game :), but I am sure there is...or else it would be too easy to abuse it no? Unless they are really just looking for customer traffic in their shops.

they actually ran a very similar program a few years back in test markets. it failed miserably and stores brought in less money. block buster did a similar rental system before they went under...

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
they actually ran a very similar program a few years back in test markets. it failed miserably and stores brought in less money. block buster did a similar rental system before they went under...
Maybe they saw the kind of attention the program was getting and expected larger numbers taking advantage of the program than they thought was sustainable, so they bailed out using their computers as an excuse?

SaviourMK2

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
CT
I legitimately don't believe it's a computer issue, I feel like it's going to be heavily modified to the point where it's not worth it. But that's the cynic in me.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
well this fucking sucks .. I was really looking forward to the power pass. I guess they were keeping track on online discussion forums like this and realized they'll probably be going in a heavy loss by allowing unlimited swaps at one price.

I won't be surprised if they return with more stipulations like you can only do X number of swaps in a monthly period or that it might be limited to one store or some BS like this.

twisted

Oct 25, 2017
A few Gamestop managers I spoke with were not pleased when they heard about the program and are all really happy - personally I'm disappointed...new releases would have been harder to get but it would have been a great time to try out some older games over the next few months

Oct 27, 2017
The most likely explanation that I've read is that it's a really bad idea to rent out their used game catalog just before the holiday shopping season.

Xbox Live Mike

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
USA
Kinda sad, It would have been a rental store closer to my house, Family Video is a 15 min drive and Red Box only has new titles.

Altered

Oct 25, 2017
lol in a rush to surpass bestbuy that they neglected common sense. Looking forward to hearing about this again after the holidays are over.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
GameStop is going to have to do something with that massive stock of used games they acquired during the two +60% Trade In deals that happened over the summer.

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
GameStop is going to have to do something with that massive stock of used games they acquired during the two +60% Trade In deals that happened over the summer.

GameStop always has way too much stock. It's a problem they've had for decades. People complain that GameStop buys popular games for $20 and puts them up for $55, but the vast, vast majority of games GameStop buys back are never sold at all. They just waste space and employee time, being shipped from store to store in massive bundles, until corporate decides to dump them in a landfill. B2G1 sales work to some extent, but Power Pass was never a real solution.