balgajo

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
SMG2, Xenoblade and Hollow Knight out of top 10? I'm out of this thread.

Oct 25, 2017
Super Hexagon! What a great choice. Made me smile to see it there.

Also, Breath of the Wild is a true Mario 64 moment for Nintendo. A landmark release in gaming history without question.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I feel like it's trolling to keep saying "it's boring". Wtf you want them to just put random games there? It's what they think is the best and breaking news some of the biggest sellers and highly critically rated games happen to be the best games.

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hard to argue with the majority of those in the list, not sure about Spider-Man but I know some peeps who bought a PS4 just to play it

Nov 4, 2017
No Bloodborne or Dark Souls? Trash list confirmed.

Edit: to be fair, there are some absolutely solid and deserved entries in that list.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
I'm just here to say that I was expecting a list from an actual religious gaming website and that I was going to see a list of games the best exemplify the teachings of the Bible.

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
A top whatever list is only correct at a certain point in time anyway and opinions can always change. I Iust don't think people should be policed on what games they liked on their own personal lists, whether it's a recent game or not. Who are we to say that their opinion is wrong?
I mean, yeah, it's a personal list . . . but if it's not to discuss what the top games of the decade are, what's really the point of putting the list out there? Is everyone just supposed to go "Ah, cool, what a nice personal list of your top games of the decade."

In any case, 2018 was a strong year and I wouldn't be surprised if Spider-man barely hit number 5 of the year it came out: God of War, Celeste, Forza Horizon 4, Smash Bros Ultimate, Dead Cells, Monster Hunter World, Astrobot, Return of the Obra Dinn, Subnautica, Assassin's Creed Odyssey, The Messenger ,Yakuza 0, etc . . .

Zolbrod

Oct 27, 2017
Osaka, Japan
Moreso than the list itself, I'm getting kind of hung up on the first line of that listicle.
They've been having "incredibly tepid" arguments!?

Do they not know what tepid means, or are they saying this was just an incredibly easy list to make?

SpaceUI

Oct 31, 2017
I feel like to make a top of anything of the decade there needs to be a reason beyond just "enjoyment", like influence, impact, etc. So, along those lines, what makes BOTW more deserving than Dark Souls, for example, or other titles that are not on this list? BOTW in my opinion has an exaggerated spot in this list.

chirt

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty good list imo. Would change a few things up personally but overall pretty good.

GarudaSmiles

Dec 14, 2018
Dark Souls and to a lesser extent Bloodborne got snubbed! I'd have put Hollow Knight in there too. Otherwise I can't argue too much with the list.

Oct 26, 2017
I feel like to make a top of anything of the decade there needs to be a reason beyond just "enjoyment", like influence, impact, etc. So, along those lines, what makes BOTW more deserving than Dark Souls, for example, or other titles that are not on this list? BOTW in my opinion has an exaggerated spot in this list.
Because they liked it more than Dark Souls, just like they like God of War more, Nier Automata more, Super Mario Odyssey more, The Outer Worlds more, Rocket League more, and so on. They're not going off of your criteria. Personally, a Souls game would never make my own list, irregardless of the influence it has had, so, for me, putting one of them on there would be an exaggerated spot

SpaceUI

Oct 31, 2017
I know it's all fun and games, and everyone's entitled to their opinion, but there could be a better, more nuanced and interesting conversation if we start talking about the criteria for picking the top games, quality, impact, innovation, artistry, just to name a few.
If it's just a "games I thought were fun this decade" it seems a bit superfluous.

Oct 26, 2017
I know it's all fun and games, and everyone's entitled to their opinion, but there could be a better, more nuanced and interesting conversation if we start talking about the criteria for picking the top games, quality, impact, innovation, artistry, just to name a few.
If it's just a "games I thought were fun this decade" it seems a bit superfluous.
BotW meets quite a few of those criteria and, really, we don't exactly know their criteria, save for them probably liking it more than Dark Souls or considering it a better game or whatever. You're trying to look for a nuance that none of us would exactly be privy to and that's mostly because you don't like how highly BotW is ranked on there than anything else

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Nier could be much higher, but I'll take it.

Also I love how BOTW is still on that honeymoon phase ;D

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
NieR: Automata didn't make top 10? Trash list. Take it to the dumpster.

Automata can replace Spider-Man. And Spider-Man can replace The Outer Wilds, I guess.

I don't know, I 100%ed Spider-Man, and while it's a solid game, the derivative open world elements and repetitive tasks stop it short of greatness. The story is good, not exceptional, and the forced stealth segments are an unwelcome intrusion in a game where the whole appeal is playing as Spider-Man.

Last edited:

SpaceUI

Oct 31, 2017
BotW meets quite a few of those criteria and, really, we don't exactly know their criteria, save for them probably liking it more than Dark Souls or considering it a better game or whatever. You're trying to look for a nuance that none of us would exactly be privy to and that's mostly because you don't like how highly BotW is ranked on there than anything else
Yes, you're right. Sorry if I come across a little bit defensive on the BOTW, I just think if we do a top of the decade there needs to be more of a write-up in the description of each game than what this site gives them.
NieR: Automata didn't make top 10? Trash list. Take it to the dumpster.
I actually would argue original NieR needs to be on the list and a little higher than Automata.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
I feel like it's trolling to keep saying "it's boring". Wtf you want them to just put random games there? It's what they think is the best and breaking news some of the biggest sellers and highly critically rated games happen to be the best games.

For me personally I found several games on this list boring. As in I played the games and they couldn't hold my interest. Plenty of other games on there I very much enjoyed, but it's just not a list that resonates with me particularly well.

JustinBailey

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think for those people that it resonated with, including myself, BOTW gives the warmest post mortem lookback feeling of many games. It was an experience, and a game as an experience does not come along very often - at least not done so well. I do think BOTW is more inclined to resonate with veteran gamers than new gamers, but thats anecdotal to me at this point.

hibikase

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That's fine. All you really need to know or care about is that fact that they are technically superior and better maintained games than basically that entire list. Games like Dota 2 and League need no introduction or justification. If anything, someone has to explain how 75% of that list qualifies to rank above either.

"Esports games are superior to all other games and that's an objective fact"

No, that's just your opinion.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i wonder how many of these lists have to come out with botw in them (usually at the very top too) before people stop being surprised or annoyed with its inclusion

BeaconofTruth

Dec 30, 2017
That's fine. All you really need to know or care about is that fact that they are technically superior and better maintained games than basically that entire list. Games like Dota 2 and League need no introduction or justification. If anything, someone has to explain how 75% of that list qualifies to rank above either.

It's embarrassing for them to be left off, quite frankly. It's like leaving Kobe and LeBron off an NBA top 15 list because you don't care about small forwards. Like, that's not how it works.
If the list was about cultural impact or impact for the decade I'd agree with you, but it seems the list was straight up lets rank our favorite games in this select group, which is valid certainly. I person do not think being highly successful commercially inherently means the game is automatically great and all time status, and must be treated as such. As there are plenty of games in that top 25, that play like shit.

That said, Dota 2 and League have a level of depth to their gameplay that warrants them not getting snubbed the way they are for frankly a whole lot of games that don't even come close to doing the defining characteristic of the medium very well. But that's the nature of the beast with these things. The multiplayer games will not be topping the charts if even make top 10s over the single player stuff.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Last edited:

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
I really don't get the love for BOTW, i got tired of the Ubisoft formula a while ago, i rushed through AC:O just like i did BOTW.
I think people just love the brand of Zelda & Nintendo more than the game itself, the dungeons & the 4 recolored bosses were not too special, weapon durability was questionable too.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
That is one open world-heavy list. I really hope the open world fad starts to die down soon.