Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Guildo

Oct 27, 2017
France
It looks cool in a tiny gif but I gotta say I wasn't impressed with this section at all when I played it last night. The snow looks off, like sand covered with dried white spray paint and it has this weird hard shadow thing going on if you actually look down towards it. The icey parts looks kinda meh as well.

Just my opinion but I still think Rise of the Tomb Raider has better snow and ice, and someone called it bad here but that's absurd.

"Pixar"? If you're watching your pixar movies on shaky cam bootlegged VHS tapes maybe.

What expertise do you have in snow behavior ?
Have you ever seen snow in your life, the question is worth of it, because if I begin to speak with people who have never handled snow in their life, how can I be truthful ?!

s y

Nov 8, 2017
The best in game lighting and post processing I've ever seen. Makes the game look like cgi at times .

Kratos' model is insane as well.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
The best in game lighting and post processing I've ever seen. Makes the game look like cgi at times .

Kratos' model is insane as well.

Yes. The level of detail is incredible, all the armor pieces are just as well detailed. Kratos isn't very expressive so you don't see him emoting with his face but they got the gruff look down to a T.

godofwar_201804230006kqu2b.png

Oct 28, 2017
Has DF come out with an analysis yet?
Because this thread is ridiculous. Nitpicking sparkles, on snow? Using technical jargon unnecessarily to downplay art and confuse posters? "You don't know what I'm talking about, and I'm too bothered to dumb it down." Bullshit. Intelligent people spend plenty of time communicating with people that aren't on their intellectual level everyday, so I find the terminology used by certain posters to be disingenuous and rude.

Carry on, however. I haven't been on Gaming side in a while, so I don't know if this is good "fun" or not. Just sharing my thoughts.

Game looks great, though.

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
No it doesn't, Please I'm begging you, stop using gif to show off graphic comparisons.

Well it does to my untrained eye. And It's the only gif I've posted.

Gif compresses video to 480p level resolution, making it lose all its details including the lack of details.

Are you saying 720p to 1080p is not possible in gif format?

Like seriously this is a technical graphic thread for crying out loud. Should it really be stated that the requirement are that all posted game images should be PNG and at-least 1440p and all video should at-least be 1440p.

You don't need a 1440p video/image to see the similarity.

Imagine DF using 480p GIF to make graphic analysis in their video.
It would be absurd. But that's what you people are doing. Its not rocket science.

What? :s

Now the video you originally posted. In this video, the glint is just a texture. It doesn't reflect, it doesn't sparkle, it doesn't glitter.

What is it supposed to reflect? You can clearly see the sparkle in my video.

If you can't see the sparkle difference between that video and this video then we can't even move forward to compare it to what's in ROTR.

I see a slight sparkle difference. But they both look similar.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
What expertise do you have in snow behavior ?
Have you ever seen snow in your life, the question is worth of it, because if I begin to speak with people who have never handled snow in their life, how can I be truthful ?!

I've seen snow every year since I've been alive.

Have you played this part of the game yourself? Have you played Rise of the Tomb Raider on Pro or X? Which Pixar movie does this look like to you?

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Because this thread is ridiculous. Nitpicking sparkles, on snow? Using technical jargon unnecessarily to downplay art and confuse posters? "You don't know what I'm talking about, and I'm too bothered to dumb it down." Bullshit. Intelligent people spend plenty of time communicating with people that aren't on their intellectual level everyday, so I find the terminology used by certain posters to be disingenuous and rude.

Carry on, however. I haven't been on Gaming side in a while, so I don't know if this is good "fun" or not. Just sharing my thoughts.

Yes they did.

They gave it the appropriate praises, but yeah, snow doesn't sparkle so I guess the game's tech is not impressive to some.

edit: Tagged the wrong video before, fixed.

Vroadstar

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017

That person nitpicking sparkles and using technical jargon unnecessarily and made a list of high-falutin tech terms claiming GOW doesn't have but
turned around and moved goal when corrected birthed this new meme "But the thing is, nothing GOW does is great, its all very mediocre" - iamthatiam

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
That person nitpicking sparkles and using technical jargon unnecessarily and made a list of high-falutin tech terms claiming GOW doesn't have but
turned around and moved goal when corrected birthed this new meme "But the thing is, nothing GOW does is great, its all very mediocre" - iamthatiam

Calling God of War's tech mediocre is a real salty move.

I'd copy some choice quotes from the DF article but there are too many, instead here's their final statement which sums it up nicely.

It's another great example of a first party studio reaching new heights in terms of visual fidelity, with the title standing proudly alongside the likes of Horizon Zero Dawn, Uncharted 4 and Gears of War 4. From its remarkable rendering technology to its seamless camera system, God of War is a showpiece title - it's an impressive achievement.

Bonus:

DF likens the snow deformation in thicker snowy areas to RoTR directly.

Snow deformation also plays a large role in specific scenes. While simple texture tricks are used in areas with a light covering of snow, thicker ridges offer full deformation - reminiscent of the adaptive tessellation used by Rise of the Tomb Raider...

Dr Guildo

Oct 27, 2017
France
I've seen snow every year since I've been alive.

Have you played this part of the game yourself? Have you played Rise of the Tomb Raider on Pro or X? Which Pixar movie does this look like to you?

Where did I wrote that GOW is doing exactly what The Pixar clip is doing ?
Remember the issue, it all begins with the keyword "powder", because someone thought that GOW's snow implementation could not be ok because it behaves like powder. The Pixar movie clip I used is here to expose the fact that snow indeed reacts with some powder properties.
Now with this data in mind, I asked him to tell me what tech is approaching the most this powder effect... Still no answer...

And you, what is your point about that question ?

Vroadstar

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017

I'd copy some choice quotes from the DF article but there are too many, instead here's their final statement which sums it up nicely.

It's another great example of a first party studio reaching new heights in terms of visual fidelity, with the title standing proudly alongside the likes of Horizon Zero Dawn, Uncharted 4 and Gears of War 4. From its remarkable rendering technology to its seamless camera system, God of War is a showpiece title - it's an impressive achievement.

Bonus:

Snow deformation also plays a large role in specific scenes. While simple texture tricks are used in areas with a light covering of snow, thicker ridges offer full deformation - reminiscent of the adaptive tessellation used by Rise of the Tomb Raider...

I agree, it's like that ridiculous grassgate meme . This new one from him I'm pretty sure it will be another one that will be quoted endlessly in future games with snow levels.

It doesn't reflect, it doesn't sparkle, it doesn't glitter.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
Where did I wrote that GOW is doing exactly what The Pixar clip is doing ?
Remember the issue, it all begins with the keyword "powder", because someone thought that GOW's snow implementation could not be ok because it behaves like powder. The Pixar movie clip I used is here to expose the fact that snow indeed reacts with some powder properties.
Now with this data in mind, I asked him to tell me what tech is approaching the most this powder effect... Still no answer...

And you, what is your point about that question ?

I didn't see any of that in the line of responses I quoted you from which is why I asked the question.

You said it was the best implementation you've ever seen and then said Pixar would be proud, so I assumed you were conflating it's quality to that of Pixar.

Anyways there's all types of snow, including the powdery kind which they were going for, I just didn't think it looked very good.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Cool shot. THis from a cutscene or from the in-game segments? :D

I mean, they're one and the same :p The game literally has no camera cuts and it seamlessly transitions from player controlled parts to non controlled parts with the camera zooming close and around of characters as needed.

That particular picture is from a dialogue scene between Kratos and Atreus.

space_nut

Oct 28, 2017
NJ

Bonus:

Love how Gears of War 4 is even stated as one of the top even though some would like to call it "last gen" lmao boy oh boy wait till Gears 5

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Love how Gears of War 4 is even stated as one of the top even though some would like to call it "last gen" lmao boy oh boy wait till Gears 5

It has a fantastic PC version and the X patch is damn good too. It's easily the crown jewel of MS first party this gen so far. If anyone's calling Gears 4 "last gen", they're just as salty as people calling God of War "mediocre".

Much

The Gif That Keeps on Giffing
Feb 24, 2018
I just wanted to confirm that GIFs can be in 1080p format. They don't become 480p by default.

Kenjovani

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Its a really hard decision between Horizon, Uncharted and now God of War as best graphics on any console. It was the same last gen between Killzone, Uncharted 2/3, GOW and Tlou. History repeats itself.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
I mean, they're one and the same :p The game literally has no camera cuts and it seamlessly transitions from player controlled parts to non controlled parts with the camera zooming close and around of characters as needed.

That particular picture is from a dialogue scene between Kratos and Atreus.
Cutscenes and gameplay aren't one and the same. There are literally moments where you can see the better lighting load in.

Cutscene

Gameplay:
bLUzC8.jpeg

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Cutscenes and gameplay aren't one and the same. There are literally moments where you can see the better lighting load in.

Cutscene

Gameplay:
bLUzC8.jpeg

As already replied by Equanimity, his screen is cropped form a bigger screen, that and yeah I agree cut-scenes can have enhancements like better DoF etc but other things like the character model is seemingly the same (I don't know if we have a quote from SSM about this or not) because loading in a different higher poly model would result in a very obvious visual change.

SSS on the skin confirmed !

Finally, the greatest mystery solved lol. Now for the sparkling snow.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
As already replied by Equanimity, his screen is cropped form a bigger screen, that and yeah I agree cut-scenes can have enhancements like better DoF etc but other things like the character model is seemingly the same (I don't know if we have a quote from SSM about this or not) because loading in a different higher poly model would result in a very obvious visual change.

Finally, the greatest mystery solved lol. Now for the sparkling snow.
It's likely that character model quality takes a hit during gameplay for the sake of performance. In the same way the lighting does.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
This isn't a fair comparison. My in-game screenshot is cropped from a distance. I'd wait until photomode is patched so we can gauge the difference.

Rule number one: Never rashly post subpar comparison screens or videos in a discussion like this as they will be used against you/the game another time. :P

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
This isn't a fair comparison. My in-game screenshot is cropped from a distance. I'd wait until photomode is patched so we can gauge the difference.
Photomode isn't better for technical discussion. I very much expect a situation like Uncharted 4 where certain elements, (like the dithering on the hair), to disappear as a result of photo mode.

Rule number one: Never rashly post subpar comparison screens or videos in a discussion like this as they will be used against you/the game another time. :P
It's not that deep.

Stillmatic

Oct 28, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Pretty sure gameplay models are the same. You'd notice a change as the camera never cuts.

Gameplay:
dfFYNCl.png

2m4CQKG.png

Gameplay vs Cutscene
uNQQM6j.png

You can see the detail is there, just a lighting difference as they're different areas.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Pretty sure gameplay models are the same. You'd notice a change as the camera never cuts.

Gameplay:
dfFYNCl.png

2m4CQKG.png

Gameplay vs Cutscene
uNQQM6j.png

You can see the detail is there, just a lighting difference as they're different areas.
Like with Hellblade, (and pretty much every game that seamlessly transitions to a cutscene) there are changes both on the surface and underneath.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
got any of them receipts?
Do you want me to name nearly every game released since the ps2 era that had in engine cutscenes?

Yeah for sure, usually it's pretty easy to spot differences in models. I haven't really noticed any with GoW, that's why I think the models could be the same.
It gets harder to spot differences but they exist by necessity, genuinely there wouldn't be a point in having a full LOD model that exists for the sake of closeups and more complex animation also used during gameplay, unlike gameplay was full of that, (Ryse for example, literally every kill in that game is a cutscene). However, we're long past the era where this was a thing:
GC5PcDO.gif

Last edited:

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017

Gameplay:
dfFYNCl.png

2m4CQKG.png

Gameplay vs Cutscene
uNQQM6j.png

To my eyes these look exactly the same. Unless there is smart optimization at work. In which case it's still a great win because the difference is neigh imperceptible.

SSM deserves major props for excelling in just about every aspect of the visual/technical makeup of the game.

Right down to the SSS covered snow. /s

Dr Guildo

Oct 27, 2017
France

Gameplay:
dfFYNCl.png

2m4CQKG.png

Gameplay vs Cutscene
uNQQM6j.png

that skin shader !! SSS still confirmed, especially on the second shot !
great shots my friend ! The last shot on the left looks like a real man, just look at this skin fidelity, the wrinkles around the eyes, the quality of the leather and the fur (PBRwin), not seen anywhere else !
Special shootout to my man Iamthatiam you said all of those features didn't exist in the game...

Last edited:

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
You can definitely see some blocky weirdness happening on his forehead wrinkles when he's emoting/talking at times if you catch the right angle, looks like it's meshing/swapping in sets of lower quality animations or something; definitely something you'd never see upclose during a cutscene.

It looks extremely close when he isn't talking though, except for the slightly annoyed look he has going on during gameplay.

It's an amazing looking model though, the level of detail is stupid good.

iamthatiam

Banned
Apr 16, 2018
great shots my friend ! The last shot on the left looks like a real man, just look at this skin fidelity, the wrinkles around the eyes, the quality of the leather and the fur (PBRwin), not seen anywhere else !
Special shootout to my man Iamthatiam you said all of those features didn't exist in the game...

That's not SSS.
Secondly that doesn't look like a real man. stop it. you're embarrassing yourself.
The skin shader is very low quality, the skin looks way too rough and looks like rubber. don't be deceived by a normal map of bumpy skin.

The leather is actually the worst part of the shaders, its very inconsistent in different lighting.

frank-tzeng-highres-1254099224201409-270121.jpg

The fabric/cloth also lack SSS, fuzz and fresnel. its funny because of their 2015 tech demo, they actually had SSS, fuzz and fresnel on their cloth.

tumblr_inline_nwb94bUnGx1qij4lt_1280.jpg

also what SSS looks like on the ear for example.

tumblr_inline_nwbvxofL2F1qij4lt_1280.jpg

Last edited:

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017

Gameplay:
dfFYNCl.png

2m4CQKG.png

Gameplay vs Cutscene
uNQQM6j.png

Just to note, there can still be differences underneath, like additional bones, increased hair simulation for facial hair, increased shadow resolution and filtering, superior post processing effects specifically for scripted scenes, increased LoD for far off objects, modified lighting during scenes (which GoW absolutely does) etc etc the list goes on. There are plenty of ways to do it even if the camera never cuts. Say when it circles around Kratos and there comes a moment when part of his body (or something else in environment) covers the whole screen and you can do a swap without anyone noticing, for things that are off screen they can switch them up anytime they want. The lighting itself can be tweaked in terms of intensity, distance, direction and softness because the moment you lose control of the camera the lightsource can be taken offscreen to make these changes before returning to normal when the scene ends.

TheWordyGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Quantum Break, maxed out on the PC, is hard to beat - especially if you cherry pick certain locations, like outside the swimming pool, or inside some of the labs.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017

That's not SSS.
Secondly that doesn't look like a real man. stop it. you're embarrassing yourself
The skin shader is very low quality, the skin looks way too rough and looks like rubber. don't be deceived by a normal map of bumpy skin.

Using the same Ear thing as reference, God of War most definitely has SSS. Look at Kratos's ear.

2iiuut.jpg

I also agree with Dr. Guildo, in some scenes under the right lighting, Kratos looks incredibly realistic.

Please excuse the aliasing in that picture, it is deliberately zoomed in.

Stillmatic

Oct 28, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
SSS is there, it's just a lot more subtle than other games.

mUnVE0K.gif

Just to note, there can still be differences underneath, like additional bones, increased hair simulation for facial hair, increased shadow resolution and filtering, superior post processing effects specifically for scripted scenes, increased LoD for far off objects, modified lighting during scenes (which GoW absolutely does) etc etc the list goes on. There are plenty of ways to do it even if the camera never cuts. Say when it circles around Kratos and there comes a moment when part of his body (or something else in environment) covers the whole screen and you can do a swap without anyone noticing, for things that are off screen they can switch them up anytime they want. The lighting itself can be tweaked in terms of intensity, distance, direction and softness because the moment you lose control of the camera the lightsource can be taken offscreen to make these changes before returning to normal when the scene ends.
Yeah for sure, I'm fully aware. I'm not talking about other things, strictly the model. You can also have a more detailed rig using the same model.

Status
Not open for further replies.