• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Reading the Transcript of his case he definitely has been doing work for the FBI. He was initially pursued with Perjury and a 2nd charge of Destruction of Evidence. For the plea they only went after him on Perjury

Is there a timeframe of when he could have started this role? He's been doing this for a while then?

Deleted member 19003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Was this thread from Seth Abramson posted yet? Good read and revealing as to how influential Papadapoulos will likely end up being in the indictments of others going forward.

https://twitter.com/SethAbramson/status/925115577190010880
That is a fun read.

Who will play Papado in the movie version?

Oh, I found one: Dominic Cooper. Plays the greek fiancee in Mamma Mia. Looks like he could pull off Pappado.
latest

Last edited:
OP
OP
Shard Shinjuku
Oct 25, 2017
Tampa
It looks like George Papadopoulos will be to this what John Dean was to Watergate. The relative unknown who flipped and changed the game.

NihonTiger

Oct 25, 2017
if they are all federal charges wont trump just pardon

Pardoning before a conviction could easily be seen as obstruction of justice, as the intent of the pardon is not to forgive a crime that has been committed, but to essentially deny prosecution of charges entirely.

Trump has already played his hand that he's willing to interfere in this manner (Arpaio, albeit he was already convicted and was awaiting sentencing). I would not put it past a man with everything to lose and no sense of boundaries to make this kind of gamble.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017

Financial crimes like Manafort and Gates have are also state crimes so a state AG could pick it up and go with it. If Trump pardons then the person getting pardoned has to accept, which is an admission of guilt and waives their 5th amendment rights after that point. They could be compelled to testify against Trump.

Jack Remington

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Couldn't they just refuse to testify, and Trump could pardon them for that too? Hypothetically?

Calderc

Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone else, at any point today, just kinda stepped back to try and truly take this all in. I'm absolutely astounded something like this is happening before my eyes. It's something you usually only read about or watch, but to witness it unfolding is just crazy. And to think this is just the start.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Trump will shift from "no collusion", to "so what?" mode. The Republican Congress would probably then prefer to hold the threat of impeachment over his head to force him to agree to all of their demands, than experience the humiliation of removing him. I think the US is stuck with him no matter what. It's not like he would ever resign.

One of his lawyers has already shifted from "No collusion." to "So what?", on Twitter no less.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
The collusion isn't illegal defense came up quite a bit from Trumpers and Fox News after the story about the Trump Jr/Kushner meeting came out.

Jack Remington

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've seen "collusion isn't illegal" like 20 times today from commenters on right-wing sites, which means someone is giving them that talking point.

Cvie

Oct 25, 2017
if the thing you are colluding about is illegal then it is definitely illegal

antonz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've seen "collusion isn't illegal" like 20 times today from commenters on right-wing sites, which means someone is giving them that talking point.
Oh no doubt there are talking points going around. Some of the usual #MAGA people were throwing around the unpaid volunteer line for Papa etc before the White House tried to use it.

petran79

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Greece
George Papadopoulos is also the name of a notorious Greek dictator during Greece's Junta regime (1967-1974).

Today I learned he has no ties to the Greek American community. No Greek Americans know him and he isnt a member of the Lawyer's Association either. He also dropped college.

To think journalists and politicians here were happy he was Greek...

Oct 25, 2017
Coffee boy is such a great pejorative in this case. Think of how many conversations this guy had in the past few months that seemed innocuous and anonymous. Heh!

Oct 27, 2017
looks like you colluded.
"Hey, we didn't do that!"
yes you did.
"Okay, well, we didn't intend to"
yes you did.
"But, but, its not illegal though!"
so you admit you lied?
"..."

ishan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Financial crimes like Manafort and Gates have are also state crimes so a state AG could pick it up and go with it. If Trump pardons then the person getting pardoned has to accept, which is an admission of guilt and waives their 5th amendment rights after that point. They could be compelled to testify against Trump.

im not sure exactly but wasnt nixon pardoned for any crimes he may have committed or some wording like that? The president has some large powers on pardon under really expansive wording. However I dont see him pardoning ppl going to fly well anyway.

Sobriquet

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Wilmington, NC
George Papadopoulos is also the name of a notorious Greek dictator during Greece's Junta regime (1967-1974).

Today I learned he has no ties to the Greek American community. No Greek Americans know him and he isnt a member of the Lawyer's Association either. He also dropped college.

To think journalists and politicians here were happy he was Greek...
It's also Webster's dad
georgetos23.jpg

BankaiZaraki

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Has anyone else, at any point today, just kinda stepped back to try and truly take this all in. I'm absolutely astounded something like this is happening before my eyes. It's something you usually only read about or watch, but to witness it unfolding is just crazy. And to think this is just the start.
Honestly I never thought we would see a modern day Watergate. All this is just...I cant believe this happens in modern American history.

BoboBrazil

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Clovis might also have already been working with Mueller. I assume it's more than just Papadopoulos that's flipped.

Oct 25, 2017
im not sure exactly but wasnt nixon pardoned for any crimes he may have committed or some wording like that? The president has some large powers on pardon under really expansive wording.

He can still only pardon federal crimes. With Manafort it's likely New York state can also charge him for money laundering and tax evasion which the President does not have the power to offer pardons for.

I think Trump's position on anything he's been accused of had always been, "I didn't do it and even if I did it's not illegal for me to do that."

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017

Collusion isn't even an individual crime. The crime involved here is conspiracy to obtain help from a foreign power to influence a US election. And also Trump's obstruction of justice regarding the first.

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
He can't pardon a crime that's part of a case against himself. That would be obstructing justice. He could try, which would tip Muellers hand but I'm fairly confident it would be against the law.
Not to mention to accept a pardon you have to admit guilt and can't plead the fifth for any other cases, such as state cases which are sure to pour in over financial crimes.

Imran

Oct 24, 2017
He could! It would be politically disastrous but honestly when has that stopped him.

What will stop him is, once someone has been pardoned, they aren't just in a no-charges free zone. If Mueller is going after Trump, and Trump pardons Manafort, then Mueller can compel Manafort to testify, anyway. If Manafort doesn't show up, he goes to jail. If Manafort goes up there and lies, Trump can't pardon him for perjury. If Manafort wants to take the fifth, he can't, because Trump pardoned him for those crimes so he wouldn't be incriminating himself and thus has no constitutional right to protection.

That said, Trump has certainly already asked people about it, and will certainly use it to protect Kushner and Don Jr.

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
They're screwing themselves no matter what position they take.

I'm convinced Mueller and his team already have everything they need to take down Trump and the big players here. He's just allowing time for more of the rats to incriminate themselves.
With this Papadopoulos bombshell I'm starting to think they might have enough as well, but might use this to get some rats to flip and strengthen their case even more.

Calderc

Oct 25, 2017
Imagine if Trump starts frisking everyone for signs of a wire from now on. I can see the paranoia really getting to him.

Deleted member 12224

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"Collusion" isn't a legal term, and "collusion" sounds too soft, which is why the term "collusion" has always sucked.

"Conspiracy" is a crime, but colloquially, people think of 9/11 chemtrails melting steel vaccines to hide JFK's killer, not the actual legal definition of a "conspiracy".

Word choice here is tough.

Deleted member 13628

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
With this Papadopoulos bombshell I'm starting to think they might have enough as well, but might use this to get some rats to flip and strengthen their case even more.
The Papadopoulos news just proves the investigation is keeping all of their actual cards hidden. This was super old news for them and are probably sitting on all kinds of bombshells ever since they arrested that guy. They may have other informants by now as well.