• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Fanta

May 27, 2018
If the original video didn't have the EA game changers logo in the corner for the full video then that might be it..?

Nateo

Oct 27, 2017
EA's "Sponsored" videos are ads(Thats why when you see EA Game Changer in the video you take the comments with a grain of salt). They aren't allowed to be negative. If it was an unsponsored video then it wouldn't have been taken down. Also doesn't help Australia doesn't have a CM anymore so all this communication is shoddy because of timezones.

OP
OP
Kyuuji

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Perhaps he missed the audible disclosure part in the original video?
From FAQ:
Perhaps! I'd have classed that as having an issue with the video itself but on reflection this is probably the most likely case form the info we have. Nice one.
Because it sounds like get got caught on a technicality and then spun it as being "too honest".
Absolutely, just really curious to know what the actual issue was lol.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
You could say he *drags on cigarette* influenced his own downfall.
tumblr_m8gzo98y5W1qlh1s6o1_250.gif

ItIsOkBro

Happy New Year!!
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
yes, ea's problem is that he did not properly disclose that ea sponsored a video trashing an ea game

SEEMS LEGIT.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017

So all your other sponsored content wasn't taken down because you weren't honest. Good to know!

Open Wound

Nov 7, 2017
I'm really confused right now.

His preview video of Anthem doesn't do anything different in terms of disclosure than what he did with his original review, so why now suddenly the problem? He disclosed he was part of the program and recieved a review copy because of it in the review, while in the preview he disclosed he was taken on a trip to try Anthem out because he's part of said program. He used the Game Changer logo in the exact same way as well.

Unless I'm missing something?

I'm not much of a fan of jumping the gun as it tends to backfire, so I'll just wait for futher clarification on the matter (if there is any)

ShadowAUS

Feb 20, 2019
Australia
Perhaps he missed the audible disclosure part in the original video?

From FAQ:

Because it sounds like he got caught on a technicality and then spun it as being "too honest".
Again not 100% sure here, watched it once when it came out but I'm pretty sure he said something very similar to what he did in his preview (maybe even the same thing) "Thanks to EA Gamechangers who helped make this video possible." Which I personally think would count as verbal disclosure.

I don't see why he wouldn't as he has for every one of his other sponsored videos as far as I can recall.

Deleted member 888

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There is some benefit to review embargoes. It prevents a rush to release for reviews. The absolute truth about reviews is that they generate clicks and they need to be as timely as possible.

If there was no embargo there would be a rush to the bottom to get reviews out first. Sacrificing quality of the review for speed and everyone would lose out. Readers, editorial staff, publishers, developers.

Also, it's not really fair to review a game until it is officially "out", especially now in the days of day 1 patches.

I won't argue that the staggered release date thing just complicates matters but it is easy enough to just ignore it.

Review embargoes should be 24-48 hours before release. Heck, 72 hours would be preferable in the digital online world we live in with sales of products being sent out 24-48 hours before release for delivery.

Reviews should exist to benefit the consumer, not the publisher or developer. Publishers tying bonuses to metacritic scores is not the fault of the consumer, it's the toxic work environment. Paid advertisements skirting around masking as reviews are trash. Trying to control the stem of feedback or honesty is a scummy move, regardless of you paying for the pleasure.

How you decide to launch your product is how you decide to launch it. Yes patches can change things but have you looked to the state of the GAAS model in this industry with trends shifting to release a broken game and fix it later? "Early entry" used as a scapegoat for "broken game, patches coming soon".

For as much as many around here and within the industry might want to call the consumer entitled, the industry is entitled as fuck when it comes to pre-order culture and doing everything it can to obfuscate the truth for day 1 sales.

Yes, an answer to all of this is stop pre-ordering games. But I'll still talk about what I see.

Tito

Oct 28, 2017
This is the typical case of a company not liking a sponsored video and taking it down for a technicality. It's ridiculous, but it's the way they protect themselves from this kind of backlash.

Basically, the contract is vague or difficult to implement, so the reviews they like are given a pass, the reviews they dislike are taken down because of a different interpretation of the contract.

If the review was glowing with praise, there is no chance it would have been taken down.

Streamer predictably uses this to gain subscribers and stand out.

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
I fully believe that the video was taken down because of disclosure stuff and him being in the Gamechangers program, and he chose to leverage it and say it was because he was 'too real' to build an audience out of the shitstorm that he knew this would cause.

A few weeks ago he went on a sponsored trip to Japan to preview Anthem and came back with a really positive video and got raked over the coals for it from his audience for being a paid shill. This gets his cred back and will gain him new followers from the Youtube gamer community which is ready to jump on any anti EA bandwagon.

EA's PR people aren't stupid, they wouldn't do an obvious move like taking down a video for being negative and get it 100x the attention it would usually get. Especially when there are already dozens of negative Anthem reviews on Youtube to begin with.

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017
Gonna have to hear the specifics honestly.

If the dude failed to disclose properly then fair play, but I'd like to know what he did differently for this review that warranted the takedown.

Because EA could totally be using a technicality to remove negative criticism, which is still pretty bad.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
Sponsored content from EA GameChangers are ads. If you ever see Sponsored in EA game videos take all comments with a grain of salt.

JackFrags at least gives it like it's. He is very open and honest about issues within BFV.

At least that is my view as someone who has 150 or so hours in BFV and Jack brings up same issues that I have faced with the game.

This doesn't mean that some content creators aren't brown tonguing it up towards EA, but there is also members of "EA GameChangers" programs that says like it's.

Oct 25, 2017
This is the typical case of a company not liking a sponsored video and taking it down for a technicality. It's ridiculous, but it's the way they protect themselves from this kind of backlash.

Basically, the contract is vague or difficult to implement, so the reviews they like are given a pass, the reviews they dislike are taken down because of a different interpretation of the contract.

If the review was glowing with praise, there is no chance it would have been taken down.

Streamer predictably uses this to gain subscribers and stand out.

This seems fairly likely. I wouldn't be surprised if he got a takedown notice, and immediately jumped to "I'm blacklisted" because, true or not, makes for great clicks and drama. But, this is assuming he didn't know what the issue was and...

... and he was quick to re-upload, which indicates to me that he spotted the error quickly enough, and fixed it in the process while bolstering his added story. He sounds sloppy, and EA is just being EA.

Nateo

Oct 27, 2017
JackFrags at least gives it like it's. He is very open and honest about issues within BFV.

At least that is my view as someone who has 150 or so hours in BFV and Jack brings up same issues that I have faced with the game.

This doesn't mean that some content creators aren't brown tonguing it up towards EA, but there is also members of "EA GameChangers" programs that says like it's.
You'll notice he does this in non-sponsored videos. In his normal videos he can do what he likes. Sponsored Videos are ads, so no major negativity allowed basically.

Nov 9, 2017
Its simple. Anthem is reviewing poorly and looks like it could bomb. Ybarra and the Gamechangers stuff is trying to stop the bleeding.

replicantUK

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
I doubt EA paid him to review their game... They probably paid him to make a video that promotes their game, and then he turned it into a critical review. I don't think he is a victim here - he literally took money to promote a game and then did the opposite of that. Yes, paying influencers is shady, but that's how they make a living - taking money to convince their followers to buy shit.

This is my feeling, plus why issue a review of a game based upon an incomplete version at an event?

I like GGG, but I've not watched the video yet so not 100% sure of what has happened.

replicantUK

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
Like i said.

He probably broke the contract, there's no way EA would silent one reviewer when there are hundread of them criticizing the game right now.

There is definitely a breach somewhere, and I doubt it is due to it being critical. I've seen plenty of Game Changers be constructively critical over EA/DICE games including BF, Battlefront 2 etc.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
Hmm, there are so many other videos and outlets criticizing the game. Why this particular piece getting flack from EA?

bighugeguns

Banned
Feb 21, 2019
"An Honest Review of Anthem" - The Reaper Hunter
"A Brutally Honest Review of the Anthem Demos" - Ninja Pups
"Is Anthem Any Good? My Honest First Impressions" - Force Gaming
"Anthem - Honest Review | A True Hate Love Story" - Rustopholis
*HONEST* Day 1 Anthem Impressions & Thoughts" - Blessious
"The Honest Truth about ANTHEM(Should you buy it)" - Jesimein

EA GAME CHANGERS, BABY!

Last edited:

Smerdyakov

Nov 13, 2017
I imagine that EA wants to be strict and consistent with things like disclosure, since there are FTC guidelines that they'd want to follow if they don't want to risk getting in trouble. From https://www.ftc.gov/tips-advice/bus...tcs-endorsement-guides-what-people-are-asking
The Guides say that disclosures have to be clear and conspicuous. What does that mean?

To make a disclosure "clear and conspicuous," advertisers should use plain and unambiguous language and make the disclosure stand out. Consumers should be able to notice the disclosure easily. They should not have to look for it. In general, disclosures should be:

• close to the claims to which they relate;
  • in a font that is easy to read;
  • in a shade that stands out against the background;
  • for video ads, on the screen long enough to be noticed, read, and understood;
  • for audio disclosures, read at a cadence that is easy for consumers to follow and in words consumers will understand.
A disclosure that is made in both audio and video is more likely to be noticed by consumers. Disclosures should not be hidden or buried in footnotes, in blocks of text people are not likely to read, or in hyperlinks. If disclosures are hard to find, tough to understand, fleeting, or buried in unrelated details, or if other elements in the ad or message obscure or distract from the disclosures, they don't meet the "clear and conspicuous" standard.

There will maybe be some differences in this case since the guy is from Australia, but that's the gist of it. Even if it's not a straight-up advertisement they would probably still want their influencers to follow the guidelines.
What if all I get from a company is a $1-off coupon, an entry in a sweepstakes or a contest, or a product that is only worth a few dollars? Does that still have to be disclosed?

The question you need to ask is whether knowing about that gift or incentive would affect the weight or credibility your readers give to your recommendation. If it could, then it should be disclosed. For example, being entered into a sweepstakes or a contest for a chance to win a thousand dollars in exchange for an endorsement could very well affect how people view that endorsement. Determining whether a small gift would affect the weight or credibility of an endorsement could be difficult. It's always safer to disclose that information.

Also, even if getting one free item that's not very valuable doesn't affect your credibility, continually getting free stuff from an advertiser or multiple advertisers could suggest you expect future benefits from positive reviews. If a blogger or other endorser has a relationship with a marketer or a network that sends freebies in the hope of positive reviews, it's best to let readers know about the free stuff.

Even an incentive with no financial value might affect the credibility of an endorsement and would need to be disclosed. The Guides give the example of a restaurant patron being offered the opportunity to appear in television advertising before giving his opinion about a product. Because the chance to appear in a TV ad could sway what someone says, that incentive should be disclosed.

cheesekao

Dec 1, 2017

EA GAME CHANGERS, BABY!
Is this real?

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017

EA GAME CHANGERS, BABY!

How do I hold all these honest?

Bohemian

Oct 26, 2017
Sounds like there was a breakdown in communication. This may already be in place, but if not, a helpful policy would be to reach out to influencers before going through the Takedown process. Something like "We noticed part of your video isn't adhering to all the disclosure agreements and if the video isn't updated to be in compliance with 24 hours, we'll have to send a takedown notice as we'll be in breach of our disclosure contracts." To me, this seems like it would be pretty standard and maybe they did try to reach out but his inbox or communication method was just flooded and didn't see it. Hard to say, as the influencer himself has already shown himself to be not the most honest of narrators (stating he's been blacklisted, making assumptions), but either way, it feels like this could have been easily resolved without the controversy, and I really really doubt EA would be stupid enough to take down a video based on editorial critique given their policies.

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
Is he blacklisted really because of something negative or other breaches of contracts? I mean, I like him, but it's easy to turn things around and sell it as 'they dumped me because I said this and that' while it may or may not something entirely different.

If this is true, though, and it is because he criticised EA, this is some EA-bullshit right there.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017

I mean, I used to watch Jackfrags, but his channel has become advertiser heaven. EA is the prime suspect but there's others too like Nvidia.

Just look at BF5. When it was revealed he said he played it and it was the best thing ever. Then the public has access to the beta and he goes "yeah tihs needs time, its not that great". It conceded with EA announcing the delay to work more on the game. Pretty clear that his "honesty" here is heavily influenced by EA's "we'll fix it guys, don't worry" pivot.

Plus, each time there's a new update coming, he isn't afraid to point out flaws of the game, only to say "but the update will hopefully make everything right!" and then the update comes out "best. game. ever." until.... another update gets announced and its back to "we need to talk about BF5, guys!"

Look, I'm not saying he's an EA corporate shill or anything, but the way he presents his opinions often tend to pivot in a certain way and it's hard to ignore the EA gamechanger association.

Bohemian

Oct 26, 2017
Is he blacklisted really because of something negative or other breaches of contracts? I mean, I like him, but it's easy to turn things around and sell it as 'they dumped me because I said this and that' while it may or may not something entirely different.

If this is true, though, and it is because he criticised EA, this is some EA-bullshit right there.

He's not blacklisted (see threadmark); his original video was just taken down with EA saying it was a disclosure issue and it has been reuploaded since then.

ShadowAUS

Feb 20, 2019
Australia
I'm pretty sure most of those aren't gamechangers? If they are they've done a truly earth shatteringly piss poor job at disclosing it.
Like I hate the "honest review" thing more than most, I stated as much in the review thread about it.
I don't really like this term "honest review". It really doesn't mean anything, whether a review is honest depends entirely on where your bias lies. If you like the game you will think the review scoring it 8.3 is honest and all the 5.5 to 7's are circlejerking, if you dislike the game you will think the opposite.

But at least way you worded the post came off as you insinuating they were all sponsored by EA.

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
Until the day influencers are called advertisers im never trusting any of them

influencer is a ridiculous phrase and there are so many different levels of what publishers pay for - it is impossible to know the deal with each one

the whole influencer situation needs to be properly regulated

ShadowAUS

Feb 20, 2019
Australia
What a twist indeed. So he was not blacklisted but this is what he thought because they asked him to take the video down because conditions on disclosure on sponsored weren't met?
We don't really know at this point and as it's 1AM here in NSW where we both live I doubt we'll know anything till later this morning. Even then the info might be under non-disclosure.