• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Yep you're right, it's a different approach to emergent gameplay, one systemic and the other one physic focused, and it's true that both are available framework for Open World creation.

I hope we will see a game mixing both approach one day.
It's a hard task not only because of the development cost, (both devs needed more time than usual to get their ideas working), there's also the part where BOTW is incredibly stylized and thus a lot of the short hand is a lot more believable in that title. Compared to if you were to try to implement those features in a game like GoT or AC which are "realistic." And since the specifics of their design goals are quite different despite the same aim to create anecdote factories, the natural extremes are naturally quite different. The natural extreme of the current quality of AI behaviors in AC is a title like Watch Dogs Legion. Especially with better consoles on the way. Meanwhile BOTW2's devs will most likely double down and iterate on all of the physics and "chemistry" tech they came up with for the first game.

Last edited:

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
finally found that 2018 leaked info

I think this might be real after all, the thing about Samurai skill tree is unlocked from the start and you gradually learn Ghost skill tree seems fit with what SP say in this demo. also I think this leak is the first one mention anything about poison. and we see one of the charm can turn wind chime to release poison.

if the leak are real, then there are story mission where you will be required to be Samurai or Ghost. so for narrative purpose, I guess near the end of the game, you'll get more and more Ghost required mission than Samurai.

I am really interested in seeing the towns. Are they big? Surely not as big as Witcher, but it'd be nice to see a town that big.

I am hoping for castles, NPCs, busy streets/markets, but also vistas where you can explore caves, find chunky side-stories, etc.

Horizon's one main city was stunning, but disappointingly limited. It felt very small and disconnected from the world. Something I hope they improve big time for the sequel. Hopefully this game has a big town.

While I respect the grounded gameplay/story, it means we wont see anything somewhat supernatural like ghosts, creepy stories, etc. This limits the enemy variety. Wonder if there are animals to kill? Guessing enemies will be standard: Soldier, archer, heavy tanks, agility characters, alchemy characters.

I love the idea of exploring a scary Japanese castle or forest. Wish it was more like Game of Thrones where the game is grounded, but there's room for some "grounded" supernatural elements.

ParsnipForest

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
The only bit that looked super jank to me was when he sniped the dude in the head by the gate. The enemy was basically side-on to the camera, he was shot in the side of the head, yet he snapped 45 degrees or whatever towards the player when he was shot. Stood out real bad in a game that looks so good otherwise.

dobahking91

Oct 26, 2017
go.gif

From Reddit something I didn't notice but at 17:20 the enemy with the "staff" weapon is parried with a slowed-time moment even happening, but takes a hit and is ready to continue fighting.

This reminds me of the fallen order's combat system.

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
go.gif

From Reddit something I didn't notice but at 17:20 the enemy with the "staff" weapon is parried with a slowed-time moment even happening, but takes a hit and is ready to continue fighting.

You mean the first enemy? I don't think that's parry. Jin attack the first enemy with normal attack then parry the second

OP
OP
Loudninja

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
In the podcast it was mention by the devs that you can die very quickly. So yeah deflecting arrows, switching stances, and parrying while trying not to get hit too much will be exhilarating.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
The only bit that looked super jank to me was when he sniped the dude in the head by the gate. The enemy was basically side-on to the camera, he was shot in the side of the head, yet he snapped 45 degrees or whatever towards the player when he was shot. Stood out real bad in a game that looks so good otherwise.

I think that's the effect of using heavy arrows. The first shot he took with the half-bow didn't create this impact.

lost7

Feb 20, 2018
I really liked how the water stance looked distinctly different to the stone stance in terms of the sword strikes. Here's hoping there's 4 of these!

I assume the stone stance is more suited against heavy armored enemies while the water stance is better against archers/light armor. Any guess on what other stances there might be?

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Jin carry 2 sword as samurai, think we'll see him wielding 2 sword as one of the style?

He also carry 3 sword as ghost. And voiced by Zoro. They better have 3 sword style in there. Lol

Oct 26, 2017
I really liked how the water stance looked distinctly different to the stone stance in terms of the sword strikes. Here's hoping there's 4 of these!

I assume the stone stance is more suited against heavy armored enemies while the water stance is better against archers/light armor. Any guess on what other stances there might be?

Imma go out on a limb here and guess fire stance and wind stance lol.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Do we know if we can change Jin's hair and beard style / shave ?

He seems to have different facial hair on the cover of the game for some reason.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
Watching the combat segment, felt the deflecting the arrows parts were odd. Like the arrow was fired, looked like it already reached Jin and should have done damage, then he deflected them. Like a huge forgiveness gap

lost7

Feb 20, 2018
Watching the combat segment, felt the deflecting the arrows parts were odd. Like the arrow was fired, looked like it already reached Jin and should have done damage, then he deflected them. Like a huge forgiveness gap
Yeah I noticed that. I'm hoping it's based on difficulty and that on hard the gap is much smaller.

BoJack

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
go.gif

Am I the only one who can't choose between the normal version and the black and white version for the first playthrough?

OP
OP
Loudninja

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
A few cool random things
1.The way the text get blown away by the wind after a objective is complete is a really nice touch
2.When you initiate a dual it goes into widescreen.

They doing so much cool stuff with this game.

Am I the only one who can't choose between the normal version and the black and white version for the first playthrough?
I got to see all those environments in color first.

Simo

Oct 26, 2017
Michigan, USA

So just looking at the clip and we get another look at some of the controls with the D-Pad being used to switch between long range uses be it throwables, the short or long bow. Holding the corresponding button on the D-Pad lets you then choose different options for "ammo" on the face buttons, ala Left on the D-Pad and then Triangle for Firecrackers or Up on the pad and then Triangle for fire arrows or Circle for regular etc.

I'm assuming then that perhaps we're swiping left or right on the Touch Pad to summon our horse or use the guiding wind.

OP
OP
Loudninja

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
I updated the Op to make things more clear.

I think each armor comes with restrictions as well as benefits, in the samurai I think Jin can crouch or most likely cannot used the grappling hook,or jump off his horse like the Ghost as well. We seen in the E3 demo he can use the grappling hook and crouch in his rain gear.

As pointed out by Jor it seems you have different objectives as Ghost and the Samurai. With the samurai his task was using he bow and killing the general, with the Ghost he just had to destroy the ship itself.

Last edited:

goons14

May 9, 2020
The twitch stream was pretty poor in visual quality. But doing my 4K rewatch I saw Jin paying respect after he defeated enemy.

I thought that was a nice touch

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)
Don't get me wrong: it's still a step forward, when all the samurai games we've gotten from Japan have been closer to like, Samurai 7 or Gintama or Inuyasha -- basically anime. Just getting a non-fantasy historical Japan game is a new thing. I know a handful of niche Japanese games like that exist, but I don't think any were released in western countries.
The Way Of The Samurai games are the only ones that really come to mind for me.

ket

Jul 27, 2018
does jin's ally, masako, look different in the latest gameplay?

e3 2018:

State of Play 2020:

download.jpg

JuanLatino

Cerny’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Do you think there will be a major town in this game (i am not sure if there were any during that timeline in Tsushima Island)

one of the main reasons why i wanted to have a Assassins Creed Game in Japan was to see the beautiful architectures and towns of feudal Japan.

OP
OP
Loudninja

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
Do you think there will be a major town in this game (i am not sure if there were any during that timeline in Tsushima Island)

one of the main reasons why i wanted to have a Assassins Creed Game in Japan was to see the beautiful architectures and towns of feudal Japan.
The rumor info mention 2 towns

The Gentleman

Oct 27, 2017
Had a look at the geography of Tsushima and see it's made up of a few smaller islands too. Will there be boat traversal in GoT?

thezboson

Oct 27, 2017
Am I the only one worried they are going to make this similar to inFamous? Like, "liberate three (nearly identical) camps to progress/unlock missions." I have tried to play inFamous 2 and Second Son but I can't get far before I stop playing. You repeat the same boring "activities" over and over, it gets tedious even if I try to only do what is required to progress the story.

The premise of GoT is fantastic, but too many things are identical between the two for me not to worry.

OP
OP
Loudninja

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
Am I the only one worried they are going to make this similar to inFamous? Like, "liberate three (nearly identical) camps to progress/unlock missions." I have tried to play inFamous 2 and Second Son but I can't get far before I stop playing. You repeat the same boring "activities" over and over, it gets tedious even if I try to only do what is required to progress the story.

The premise of GoT is fantastic, but too many things are identical between the two for me not to worry.
Nope not worry

From E3 2018
Masako and her story are one of many side characters and quests that form the fabric of Ghost of Tsushima. These characters will play important parts in Jin's main storyline, but most of them will also have side quests and stories for you to explore. In fact, the demo you just watched is part of Masako's storyline, a side adventure off the game's main path.
"We want to make sure that everyone knows that what you're seeing in this demo is a sidequest – it's not part of the main throughline for Jin. It was important for us to have this first experience of gameplay for viewers to be through the lens of what a sidequest is, to show the depth of the game and how seriously we are taking the open world experience."
blog.us.playstation.com

Mud, Blood, and Steel: Ghost of Tsushima Gameplay Debut

Sucker Punch gives us an early first look at katana gameplay for their upcoming open-world action adventure set in 13th-century Japan.