• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What do YOU want the next OT title to be?

• I Farted Into Heaven

Votes: 17 6.3%
  • Old Man Pecker

Votes: 116 43.1%
  • Dinosaurs Aren't Real

Votes: 113 42.0%
  • I AM A STRONG MAN

Votes: 12 4.5%
  • Justin is Having a Sick Wet Dream

Votes: 11 4.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

zakalwe

Oct 25, 2017
My biggest pet peeve with finding recipes online is when they use cups as measurement. How many grams is a cup?!

ChrisR

Oct 26, 2017
My biggest pet peeve with finding recipes online is when they use cups as measurement. How many grams is a cup?!
It DEPENDS! You can loosely scoop a cup of powdered sugar and end up with just over 100g, but a packed cup of brown sugar can weigh nearly 200g.

Always use weights for baking, it's SCIENCE

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017

Cups for liquids I can get. I still prefer ml or even fluid oz. in a pinch, but surely a cup of solid material is going to differ depending on the density (and the size of the cup).

Last edited:

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
Scythe is still available, would be First Come, First Serve.
I saw that it was still available (and also the only one other than twilight struggle that I wanted from the bundle) but it doesn't let people who won take the first come first serve I guess!

Which makes sense. I could also just use money to buy it and not be greedy with free codes, it's not like it's off the store or anything.

ChrisR

Oct 26, 2017
Cups for liquids I can get. I still prefer ml or even fluid oz. in a pinch, but surely a cup of solid material is going to differ depending on the density (and the size of the cup).
A "Cup" is a standard measuring unit equal to 8floz. That part never changes. But you are right about the density of whatever you are measuring as well as how tightly you pack it into the Cup.

honestly baking is harder than any lab i ever did in any of my courses for my chemistry minor

it takes skill and practice to do that stuff right
I like baking because it as close as I can get to doing chemistry shit in my home, and the end result is usually pretty damn tasty and something that I can share with my roommates or coworkers.

KillerDark

Oct 26, 2017
I told you I was gonna do this. Ya'll motherfuckers are still sleeping on the GOTY, and seeing as the GB QL didn't sell the game as well as it could, I've taken it upon myself to sell you on Iceborne.

(Sorry for jacking your style Blitz, but I NEED to do this).

wNBHbiQ.jpg

Monster Hunter World was already a huge leap in quality from the previous games in the series, especially in terms of quality of life. Gone were the days of looking up key quests online to see how to progress in the story, or sitting in place gathering plants and hoping to get what you needed. World was easier for the uninitiated, less obtuse in a lot of bullshit ways, and fucking FAST. But at the same time, it kept what made Monster Hunter the powerhouse series that it had become. The combat felt great, with massive weapons and monsters having a palpable sense of weight to them, as players were forced to learn the tells of their prey. A hunter would go from getting batted around like a toy to deftly weaving between massive strikes from godlike beasts in what could only be described as the best feeling of mastery that any single-player game could provide.

It wasn't without its faults though. The monster variety, especially in the endgame, left a lot to be desired, with players having to grind the same handful of monsters to get endgame materials. The balance of weapons and armor could have been handled better, especially after the introduction of the post-launch content dictating all of the best gear. And then there were the minor annoyances, like the overly sprawling size of the main hub, the lack of use for the Gathering Hub, and the lack of difficulty for many veteran players.

But if World was the next generation of Monster Hunter, then Iceborne marks the next generation of World.

Once again, the Monster Hunter Team pulled out all the stops, both in tangible content and improvements to the quality of life of the game. The new hub, Seliana, is compact and cozy, with all of the useful functions right by the players instead of spread out across the map. Raider Riders, which are small monsters you can tell where to go and ride them to the destination, make up for some of the obtuse map design left over from the base game, while the new map is simple enough that players won't get confused (and it's beautiful enough that you'll want to take in the sights). The new Gathering Hub features all of the amenities from the main hub, as well as a bunch of extra NPCs to give it a move lived-in feel. Hunters going out in parties of 2 get a new difficulty modifier so they aren't stuck fighting monsters designed for 4 players. The biggest addition to gameplay, the Clutch Claw, gives players a new way to support their team by creating openings and weak spots, meaning that there's a greater sense of a team playing together instead of 4 people doing their own thing. In short, there's significantly less in the way of annoyances.

The monsters are all top-notch as well. Capcom made sure to bring back most of the monsters that veterans would want to come back, while updating them to feel more real than ever. Tigrex feels like a ravenous snarling beast as it clumsily charges across the map. Barioth and Nargacuga feel cunning as they slowly circle around the player before striking with precision. Brachydios and Glavenus feel like duels with skilled opponents, as both you and them step in and out of the range of their blows. The updates to the new-to-World monsters are great as well, giving new life to previously dull monsters like Pukei Pukei and Paolumu. If there's any complaint to be had it's that some of the brand new monsters are similarly dull to some of the original World ones. Beotodus and Banbaro often feel so similar to monsters from the base game that you get a little deja vu. Thankfully, the later newcomers are significantly more interesting.

The only faults remaining are the cutscene restrictions for multiplayer that are left over from the base game (which didn't matter to me because I played all of those missions solo), but even those are improved somewhat just by virtue of the new campaign being shorter. The writing is also pretty bad, though that's not what I come to Monster Hunter for and unlike other games with bad stories it's inoffensive and easy to ignore.

I could go on an on about how good this expansion is, but it's late and I'm already feeling like I should go back for one more go at Yian Garuga or Velkhana. I'll end by saying that if you have any affinity for Action-RPGs, you should at least give this a try, and if you have any love for Monster Hunter, you NEED to get this ASAP.

10/10, outstanding game, GOTY, GOTG, you can pet the cat and the pig and you can dress them both up.

Thanks for writing this, enjoyed reading your thoughts on Iceborne! The wait for the PC version is going so slow haha. I know it will be worth it but it was really tempted to just get Iceborne on PS4.

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
A "Cup" is a standard measuring unit equal to 8floz. That part never changes. But you are right about the density of whatever you are measuring as well as how tightly you pack it into the Cup.

So you would purchase a specific measuring cup? The cup measurement isn't a thing here so I've never really been sure how it works. I've "translated" recipes using cups when liquids are involved but if it mentions cups of solid then I usually have to look elsewhere.

Darkwing-Buck

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Played a solid 2 hours of the MW beta yesterday. I am definitely a believer. It definitely is still COD but there is a deliberate nature and oomph to the animations and sound design that makes it feel refreshing.

Are you playing on PC?

I'm tempted to get it there because of the crossplay feature.

Game looks blurry as fuck on my pro, but I have no idea how it would run on my 970 and i5

ChrisR

Oct 26, 2017
So you would purchase a specific measuring cup? The cup measurement isn't a thing here so I've never really been sure how it works. I've "translated" recipes using cups when liquids are involved but if it mentions cups of solid then I usually have to look elsewhere.
Ya, you typically get them in a set ranging from 1/4tsp to 1c.

OP
OP
Death Metalist
Oct 25, 2017
Kuwait ⇄ Leeds, England

Definitely down for more Batman.
Are you playing on PC?

I'm tempted to get it there because of the crossplay feature.

Game looks blurry as fuck on my pro, but I have no idea how it would run on my 970 and i5
One X. I do not think it looks amazing, looks alright for what it is. PC is definitely the way to go but I also appreciate the amount of options the game seems to have from crossplay between PC/Playstationsttion to being able to use a keyboard and mouse on Xbox.

Breqesk

Oct 28, 2017
honestly baking is harder than any lab i ever did in any of my courses for my chemistry minor

it takes skill and practice to do that stuff right
yea i think i've probably fucked up 90% of my first attempts at any given baking recipe that wasn't ludicrously simple. you've kinda just gotta accept that you're gonna have to practice stuff a bunch before you can start getting it consistently right.

one major exception - that was admittedly on the simple side of things - was bon appetit's chocolate chip cookie recipe, though. they didn't all come out perfect, buuuut i was still really happy with my first attempt:

DaiJS2U.jpg

Dan L

Tried to PM someone for a tag
Oct 28, 2017
Regina, Saskatchewan
Playing through the ni no kuni remaster on steam and man I forgot how great that game is. I really liked 2 but 1 is so much better.

Finished Gears 5 campaign it was solidly OK

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I went into Dragon Age 2 with really low expections and decided to play as an absolute dick. Not even an evil guy, just a dick. I ended up having a lot of fun and it helped me break out of my usual routine of playing goody-two-shoes characters in RPGs.

At the very least I appreciate its unconventional structure compared to the regular RPG "chosen one saves the world" routine.

Patapuf

Oct 26, 2017
DA 2 with a propper budget and dev time could have been great. I tend to prefer RPG's tha reign in their scope a bit.

Sadly, a lot of stuff in that game was half baked.

Breqesk

Oct 28, 2017
the original pitch for da4 seemed like they were going back to try to do that style again

rip

srsly that pitch........... god it sounded almost perfect ;_;

Another former BioWare developer who worked on Joplin called it "some of the best work experiences" they'd ever had. "We were working towards something very cool, a hugely reactive game, smaller in scope than Dragon Age: Inquisition but much larger in player choice, followers, reactivity, and depth," they said. "I'm sad that game will never get made."

You'd play as a group of spies in Tevinter Imperium, a wizard-ruled country on the north end of Dragon Age 's main continent, Thedas. The goal was to focus as much as possible on choice and consequence, with smaller areas and fewer fetch quests than Dragon Age: Inquisition . (In other words, they wanted Joplin to be the opposite of the Hinterlands.) There was an emphasis on "repeat play," one developer said, noting that they wanted to make areas that changed over time and missions that branched in interesting ways based on your decisions, to the point where you could even get "non-standard game overs" if you followed certain paths.

A large chunk of Joplin would center on heists. The developers talked about building systemic narrative mechanics, allowing the player to perform actions like persuading or extorting guards without the writers having to hand-craft every scene. It was all very ambitious and very early, and would have no doubt changed drastically once Joplin entered production, but members of the team say they were thrilled about the possibilities.

GiftBot

Official Giveaway Bot
Verified
Mar 7, 2018

Giveaway

Restrictions:
Hello, I am bot! I come bearing 1 gift from Shelbyville Milhouse Shelbyville Milhouse!

This is a lightning raffle that will expire in 1 hour. The winner will be drawn at random! Any prizes leftover after the deadline will become available on a first-come first-serve basis.

Shelbyville Milhouse said:

These are our awesome prizes:

• Steam Steam: The One Good Dragon Age Game - Won by Remk NG Remk NG

Status
Not open for further replies.