What do YOU want the next OT title to be?

• LIVE SKIT HERE

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • There's Some Gift Giving, Hades Shit, Everyone's Horny

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • The Essence Of Pickle Is Afoot

Votes: 6 7.6%
  • Here She Comes O'brian

Votes: 11 13.9%
  • Le Freakzilleau

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • You Guessed It, I'm The Captain

Votes: 6 7.6%
  • Get Forked

Votes: 48 60.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
It's a silly video, not really thought out but I can see what he wanted to achieve.
The rage about it is even more silly. The joke didn't land, so move on.

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
I don't think I feel like watching Millers video but the anger is real. Surely he will regret his words and deeds.

Greg Miller loves this sort of stuff, he revels in it. He is a shit stirrer at heart and 99% of the time no one takes him seriously. But when they do he doubles and triples down and pushes and probes.

He has been taking the piss out of PC gamers for like ten years. I am surprised it was this time that finally blew up.

1 gift from BlueScrote

GiftBot

Official Giveaway Bot
Verified
Mar 7, 2018

Giveaway

Restrictions:
Hello, I am bot! I come bearing 1 gift from BlueScrote BlueScrote!

This is a raffle that will expire in 12 hours. The winner will be drawn at random! Any prizes leftover after the deadline will become available on a first-come first-serve basis.

These are our awesome prizes:

• Steam Steam: Forgive Me Father - Won by Bossanova Bossanova (3 entries)

Humanity

Aug 31, 2019
Greg Miller loves this sort of stuff, he revels in it. He is a shit stirrer at heart and 99% of the time no one takes him seriously. But when they do he doubles and triples down and pushes and probes.

He has been taking the piss out of PC gamers for like ten years. I am surprised it was this time that finally blew up.
Ahh the Dan Ryckert approach.

EDIT: ok I watched the first half of the Miller video and yah I dunno what people are so up in arms about it's just some standard trolling.

Last edited:

SP.

Oct 27, 2017
The Greg reaction on this forum is about as bad as all the people in that thread blaming the port issues on Iron Galaxy instead of Naughty Dog, when IG has literally said they barely touched the game.

If it weren't a Sony game I'm sure the conversation would be a lot different.

eddy

Oct 25, 2017
If it weren't a Sony game I'm sure the conversation would be a lot different.

PC titles that don't run well/have technical issues[0] are routinely roasted, no matter the source, so I very much doubt this.

Of course, if it wasn't a Sony title Greg Miller wouldn't be out there trolling, so I guess that part of the conversation would be different.

[0] Or are perceived as having such. In this case it seems the game just loves a lot of VRAM, and it's taking people by surprise. Whether it's using all that VRAM effectively at the different presets I can't say.

SP.

Oct 27, 2017
PC titles that don't run well/have technical issues[0] are routinely roasted, no matter the source, so I very much doubt this.

Of course, if it wasn't a Sony title Greg Miller wouldn't be out there trolling, so I guess that part of the conversation would be different.

[0] Or are perceived as having such. In this case it seems the game just loves a lot of VRAM, and it's taking people by surprise. Whether it's using all that VRAM effectively at the different presets I can't say.

I more meant if it were a Microsoft game running this bad the general blame would be on them instead of a support studio that barely touched the game. On this forum at least it's as if Naughty Dog can do no wrong.

But yeah, I agree with you on the Greg stuff for sure.

Humanity

Aug 31, 2019
I more meant if it were a Microsoft game running this bad the general blame would be on them instead of a support studio that barely touched the game. On this forum at least it's as if Naughty Dog can do no wrong.

But yeah, I agree with you on the Greg stuff for sure.
It's a land of contradictions thats for sure.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
I mean you read replies to Alex from DF on twitter and it's people telling how "Naughty Dog utilizes GPU and CPU to it's fullest and that's why the game is taxing on the PC". It's nonsense like this that is just bewildering.

alternate

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Never understood what people see in Greg Miller. He seems to have all the negative traits of Ryckert with none of the innocent charm or chaotic energy to balance it out. That and all the shameless shilling.

Humanity

Aug 31, 2019
Never understood what people see in Greg Miller. He seems to have all the negative traits of Ryckert with none of the innocent charm or chaotic energy to balance it out. That and all the shameless shilling.
I'm not a huge fan of Miller either but he is without a doubt doing something right. Left IGN and elevated his own brand into the stratosphere whereas Giant Bomb all these years later is still floundering from acquisition to acquisition, steadily bleeding talent along the way. As far as I know Miller also seems to be a genuinely pretty good guy which definitely helps even if you don't like the trolly persona.

alternate

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
There are plenty of sucessful internet personalities where I find the appeal inexplicable. In fact it seems the more popular the youtuber or twitch streamer - the less I understand it.

BlueScrote

Oct 25, 2017
Same. The shilling makes it a nogo for me. Same reason why I don't have any patience for Keighley things.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
There are plenty of sucessful internet personalities where I find the appeal inexplicable. In fact it seems the more popular the youtuber or twitch streamer - the less I understand it.
Thats also my rule of thumb.
I tune in to famous streamers out of curiousity sometimes and all I see or hear is fignernails on a chalkboard. At least in most cases.

JimD

Aug 17, 2018
Can't say I'm a fan of Miller's, but people losing their ever loving shit over trolling that could not be more obvious has me highly amused. Then again, I also find it funny when people criticize Dan for doing something and he triples down on doing it even more without ever acknowledging the criticism.

BearPawB

I'm a fan of the erotic thriller genre
Oct 25, 2017
I have never really watched kinda funny. But Greg's always seemed like a decent guy. A shameless self promoting shill, but a nice guy who I think is a positive force in the industry overall.

Humanity

Aug 31, 2019
I honestly think GB could have used a bit more "shilling" along the years. If your audience is smart enough to separate your core values from business opportunity then it's not a problem.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
I think there always was some passive shilling going on with certain franchises and GB. They just never capitalized on it.

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
Unfortunately, shilling is a necessary evil to survive as an independent company on social media in this industry. I don't like it either, but if people I like need to shill a little to survive I put up with it. Especially a company like kinda funny who does so much positive work it is balanced out.

Seraphis Cain

Oct 25, 2017
I honestly think GB could have used a bit more "shilling" along the years. If your audience is smart enough to separate your core values from business opportunity then it's not a problem.

Like half the fanbase lost their shit when GB did it for Sonic Frontiers (and it wasn't even really shilling Sonic Frontiers, it was shilling Fanatical, which is a GB sister site) when there was absolutely nothing wrong with it. "Hey if you want to buy this game, maybe consider buying it from our sister site with this discount code." I see no problem with that but people freaked the fuck out over it.

NewDust

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Does JAson have anything to support him? Have to open up my savings account this month anyways, so might as well.

EdReedFan20

Oct 25, 2017
I have never really watched kinda funny. But Greg's always seemed like a decent guy. A shameless self promoting shill, but a nice guy who I think is a positive force in the industry overall.
A good aspect about Greg is, when it comes to promotional stuff he makes sure to put that up front. He doesn't try to be slick*. Like, whenever they cover a game that is tied to PopAgenda (a game promotion firm) he makes sure he mentions that, as PopAgenda was co-founded by his wife. Funny thing is, Greg has yet to like a PopAgenda game. The games they co-promote are never in his wheelhouse.

*Remember the Rooster Teeth Fallout 4 thing where they call out Jeff Gerstmann for being a contrarian for giving the (console) version of the game a low score (he scored the PC version highly)... all while each of them were wearing PipBoys on their arms?

rudds

Oct 25, 2017

Lol it's totally Brad all but revealing the Mushroom Kingdom in their Odyssey unfinished, isn't it? Sites everywhere eventually referenced that video as all but confirming it and during the video Brad even mentioned that he was told not to go in there & wasn't allowed to mention it. And the distinction between not talking about it and showing the painting would be the exact sort of pedantic NDA violation that Nintendo would get upset about weeks after the fact (even though it's dumb as the painting is in that level). I think Giantbomb also danced around the time limit rules in that video by watching it twice lol

Saw this floating around elsewhere and I guess this is where it originated, so: this didn't even remotely happen, and even it had, nobody's getting cut off for this, they'd just ask you to take the video down.

I'm setting the record straight here because this is exactly the kind of shitty speculation that gets made up out of thin air and then repeated over and over till it becomes "fact." Please stop doing this.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
Saw this floating around elsewhere and I guess this is where it originated, so: this didn't even remotely happen, and even it had, nobody's getting cut off for this, they'd just ask you to take the video down.

I'm setting the record straight here because this is exactly the kind of shitty speculation that gets made up out of thin air and then repeated over and over till it becomes "fact." Please stop doing this.

YEAH BRAD

Humanity

Aug 31, 2019
Unfortunately, shilling is a necessary evil to survive as an independent company on social media in this industry. I don't like it either, but if people I like need to shill a little to survive I put up with it. Especially a company like kinda funny who does so much positive work it is balanced out.
You just have to trust your audience. I follow this person on Twitch who takes on real shitty sponsored stream opportunities and everyone in the community cheers it on cause hey, they are paying you $600 to play Wanted: DEAD for 2 hours? Hell yah get that bag. Who cares that the game is dogshit, everyone is there for the great community interaction and funny banter anyway.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
BD615940-0-ADA-4059-BEC2-7-D6-C88-D6326-C.jpg

BearPawB

I'm a fan of the erotic thriller genre
Oct 25, 2017
Weird speculation is basically the theme of these threads though. What is this thread without weird inappropriate speculation?

On the shill note;
I agree...get that bag. Money matters. Just be honest about it. It's one thing to go "hey guys I'm getting paid $500 to play raid shadow legends for an hour." And"wow I love raid shadow legends! What a great game! You guys should buy the battle pass! It has so much great stuff in it."

People that scam their fans are the worst

apathetic

Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate the clarification since knowing if something is really true or not always has value. It also provides more context for people to be able to judge further speculation.

And that's kind of the thing. Speculation isn't going to stop. People have interest and like talking about this stuff. Smarter people know to not take anything as "fact" without actual verified information even if they engage in the conversations, but there are many that it being true or not doesn't really matter and it's just fun to dig around/form theories about stuff for. The only thing I hope for is less digging around in personal lives, but hope is a mistake.

This particular bit will keep coming up every time "Nintendo jail" is mentioned, which sadly happens a lot as current GB members lament not being able to get the games earlier than genpop/for free because of it. Of course none of us are entitled in any way to know the actual reason nor should we expect to.

It is also kind of benign thing to speculate about since it doesn't involve anyone's personal life and doesn't paint anyone in a negitive light aside from maybe "Nintendo being Nintendo on something small". Easy for me to say of course since it isn't my life/work that others are making fanfiction about.

alternate

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
tbf I pretty sure the Nintendo Jail speculation was mainly started on the sub Reddit.

GB keep making jokes about it and dropping hints like "oh it was a former employee", which doesn't help discourage the internet sleuths.

Seraphis Cain

Oct 25, 2017
tbf I pretty sure the Nintendo Jail speculation was mainly started on the sub Reddit.

GB keep making jokes about it and dropping hints like "oh it was a former employee", which doesn't help discourage the internet sleuths.

I wouldn't call "saying it was a former employee" dropping a hint, more like a way to get people to stop asking them about it.

rudds

Oct 25, 2017
It is also kind of benign thing to speculate about since it doesn't involve anyone's personal life and doesn't paint anyone in a negitive light aside from maybe "Nintendo being Nintendo on something small". Easy for me to say of course since it isn't my life/work that others are making fanfiction about.

There's nothing benign about posting "Giant Bomb was cut off by a major platform holder because Brad flubbed a basic job responsibility" on a forum frequented by a lot of industry professionals. This is the same reason we said to knock off all the theorizing and demands about hiring for new roles; you're treating people's careers like a plot on a TV show with no thought about the impact that might have on their feelings or reputations. I truly wish we didn't have to keep explaining this.

airbagged_

Jan 21, 2019
Charleston, SC
There's nothing benign about posting "Giant Bomb was cut off by a major platform holder because Brad flubbed a basic job responsibility" on a forum frequented by a lot of industry professionals. This is the same reason we said to knock off all the theorizing and demands about hiring for new roles; you're treating people's careers like a plot on a TV show with no thought about the impact that might have on their feelings or reputations. I truly wish we didn't have to keep explaining this.

This comment should be stickied. Straight up. Sorry you've had to jump in here to clarify.

apathetic

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah I can see why you would see it that way, I just didn't it at first since I don't think I saw anyone that blamed you/thought you did anything wrong with your coverage and it was more "Nintendo being Nintendo". Always good to get another perspective, especially one with the actual truth of the matter.

I know when saying "you're" you meant in a general sense since it's not a thing I really engage in, but also people are gonna keep theorizing regardless. I have as much control over that as you do. That this particular thing came up again is because "Nintendo jail" keeps coming up with the current GB staff. It will bounce back to hiring thoughts and opinions on how doomed everything is soon enough.

Again, people are not entitled to knowing the actual truth and we could all use the reminder every so often that these are real people being talked about. Sadly it seems to be the only way to temporarily stop people from writing fanfiction.

Last edited:

Taffy Lewis

Oct 27, 2017
With the way GB has handled this, seems only natural that people would speculate about things. Especially with no one affiliated with GB being particularly open about anything.

Vervain

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I can see why you would see it that way, I just didn't it at first since I don't think I saw anyone that blamed you/thought you did anything wrong with your coverage and it was more "Nintendo being Nintendo". Always good to get another perspective, especially one with the actual truth of the matter.

I know when saying "you're" you meant in a general sense since it's not a thing I really engage in, but also people are gonna keep theorizing regardless. I have as much control over that as you do. That this particular thing came up again is because "Nintendo jail" keeps coming up with the current GB staff. It will bounce back to hiring thoughts and opinions on how doomed everything is soon enough.

Again, people are not entitled to knowing the actual truth and we could all use the reminder every so often that these are real people being talked about. Sadly it seems to be the only way to temporarily stop people from writing fanfiction.

Honestly, I think the real issue here is that the current staff brought it up in the first place. Especially because they did so in a way that can negatively impact past staff, but not themselves.

I think it would be best if the community dropped the speculation on this, because the people getting impacted by the speculation aren't the ones that caused the hub-Bub to come up.