What do YOU want the next OT title to be?

• A Place To Put Your Unrequited Feelings

Votes: 93 45.8%
  • A Usable Plastic Ass

Votes: 38 18.7%
  • It’s Too Late for Everything

Votes: 27 13.3%
  • Weedspeakers.com

Votes: 26 12.8%
  • Kiss My Vitruvian Ass

Votes: 19 9.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

justjim89

Nov 16, 2017
Is the whole GBWest playing Garfield shit like ironically beloved? I don't get it. Anytime I see clips of it in Best Of's it befuddles me.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
i need to get a nier automata thing before sunday but i'm too lazy to take the two hour train ride to go home and back to pick up my soundtrack cd. maybe i'll buy a japanese artbook i can't read well

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
Anybody else having fucked up audio on the premium podcast feed?

Edit: I restarted my podcast app and it seems fine now... Weird

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
went back to Celeste tonight after a few weeks since I last played, with a few months break before that, to do some more of the hardest levels

game still rules

Deleted member 1041

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I liked the GB take on the Arenanet situation

arenanet overreacted
but at the same time so did the writer who overreacted to a person inquiring about a writing thing
and no she didn't deserve the harassment

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
wait that dragon thing is by ATLA writers?!?!?!?

OP
OP
Death Metalist
Oct 25, 2017
Kuwait ⇄ Leeds, England
It's 2:15am and here I am laying in bed, watching this Sonic Adventure intro in HD and feeling nostalgic about dumb ass video game opening songs...

which also lead me to go and rewatch as well as clip this upf moment...

fjGX9aA.gif

and of course, can't forget its appearance in Demo Derby too.

deepFlaw

Oct 25, 2017

arenanet overreacted
but at the same time so did the writer who overreacted to a person inquiring about a writing thing

I still gotta listen to Waypoint's podcast on it cause I think Austin was going into some good things on Twitter about how even if you think she did something wrong, it's so limiting to think that the only possible response a company can have is firing

personally I think the dude's message to her was like... well intentioned and politely written but actually pretty insulting/patronizing even if he meant well; had he not immediately started by saying she was wrong and/or said what he did in a form of a question ("do you think that _ could be a good solution to this?") it might have gone over better, instead of it coming across like he was saying she didn't know the field she worked in (and was discussing) + hadn't considered such an obvious thing...

and so though she might have been harsh, it can be pretty hard to read good vs bad faith "politeness" since this sort of thing doesn't happen in a vacuum separate from others coming at her in actual bad faith

ShadowSwordmaster

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Someone needs to tell Brad about Warframe's crossplay thing that people talked about in the Tennocon or Warframe Switch thread.

Deleted member 1041

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I still gotta listen to Waypoint's podcast on it cause I think Austin was going into some good things on Twitter about how even if you think she did something wrong, it's so limiting to think that the only possible response a company can have is firing

personally I think the dude's message to her was like... well intentioned and politely written but actually pretty insulting/patronizing even if he meant well; had he not immediately started by saying she was wrong and/or said what he did in a form of a question ("do you think that _ could be a good solution to this?") it might have gone over better, instead of it coming across like he was saying she didn't know the field she worked in (and was discussing) + hadn't considered such an obvious thing...

and so though she might have been harsh, it can be pretty hard to read good vs bad faith "politeness" since this sort of thing doesn't happen in a vacuum separate from others coming at her in actual bad faith

he never framed it as her being wrong though

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017

arenanet overreacted

Still haven't had a chance to listen, but as someone who's been fond of ArenaNet for years, the firings have come very close to putting me off from ever considering another game from them. The calculus there was so blatantly incorrect and twisted, it's unbelievable.

May 5, 2018
A shame I can't see Garfield with Gerstmann live since I'm working, but I bet it will be a hilarious conclusion. Are we getting that Garfield/Mass Effect fanfic this time?

KingKong

Oct 27, 2017
Its crazy that they thought firing her would lead to better PR instead of doing nothing and letting the story die in like two days

Deleted member 1041

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Its crazy that they thought firing her would lead to better PR instead of doing nothing and letting the story die in like two days

they should've reprimanded her instead of firing her, but really she put herself in a hard place by attacking this person who was literally fond of her work.

its a shitty situation all around

Blitzrules240

Self requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
it's been almost 9 months since the last demo derby. I wish they'd ship it out East, what a waste of a premise :(
Demo Derby East would work well because you have Abby who's the youngest and then Vinny the patriarch and Dan and Alex as the middle ground.

And the four bouncing off each other talking about gaming history and the demo at hand.

deepFlaw

Oct 25, 2017
he never framed it as her being wrong though

from his first tweet:

"I dont believe the issue lies in the MMORPG genre itself (as your wording seemingly suggest). I believe the issue lies in the contraints of the Living Story's narrative design"

at a basic level, he's saying she's wrong to say MMOs have the problem she's describing, and that it's specific to GW2 (which then implies she doesn't understand MMOs in general, or that she's projecting stuff from GW2 on all MMOs, etc.); even if you don't want to look at the implications, I can't see a reading there that isn't him saying she's wrong

in general I feel like there's been a lot of talk about his polite tone and him being nice, when I think that matters fairly little compared to what he was actually conveying, and whether he needed to say it, and whether this feedback he was giving was at all valuable

cause at the end of the day he's suggesting an incredibly common and well known thing (uh, multiple choice dialogue) as if it's a unique insight he can offer, and making assumptions about their mentality for doing things? and that can only feel patronizing to me, cause of course they've thought through what he's saying already- just because they're not doing it in the game as is doesn't mean they've never thought about multiple choice dialogue to add more player agency before, which might be the oldest and most basic thing you can do with the concept of meaningful choice in games! particularly as his reasoning is that this would increase investment in roleplaying, as if that's the big issue... when hours before she'd already made tweets later in thread talking about how players already being invested and how that impacts what she's discussing

like I said, had he not come in like that or phrased it as a question (and so clearly wanting her take on it, rather than debating it) it wouldn't have seemed like he was making assumptions about their mentality, like he was implying anything about her knowledge, like he was presenting something they hadn't considered

and at the end of the day we just can't use outwardly polite phrasing as a sign of good faith anyway, right? it does seem like he meant well here! but you could throw a lot of that phrasing, and his response about "creating dialogue and discussion", in the mouth of someone shitty who's absolutely coming at this in bad faith and disingenuously trying to start something and acting shocked when no one's up for entertaining it, and it would outwardly seem just as polite and respectable then, so that alone cannot be a determining factor

(...also, I didn't even consider this till now, but what's that weird bit about achievements even about? I want to find a generous interpretation for it, but without context it just sounds sorta bitter about something in the game?)

May 5, 2018
I'm also in favor of Demo Derby coming to the East. Dan was one of the original dudes who made the feature after all and the chemistry between him and Abby acting all zany and Vinny and Alex being the straight guys makes sense. Well if they bring Demo Derby at all period, I'd be happy.

Though not gonna lie, the Epilogue of the Shenmue ER was very Demo Derby-ish.

Poppy

Oct 25, 2017
richmond, va
i feel like jeff hasn't streamed in forever

which makes sense, lotta STUFF GOIN' ON, but i felt like he had a good run of streaming from home going for a while and it is always cool to see some games bein played

i await more streams eagerly

Deleted member 1041

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
from his first tweet:

"I dont believe the issue lies in the MMORPG genre itself (as your wording seemingly suggest). I believe the issue lies in the contraints of the Living Story's narrative design"

at a basic level, he's saying she's wrong to say MMOs have the problem she's describing, and that it's specific to GW2 (which then implies she doesn't understand MMOs in general, or that she's projecting stuff from GW2 on all MMOs, etc.); even if you don't want to look at the implications, I can't see a reading there that isn't him saying she's wrong

in general I feel like there's been a lot of talk about his polite tone and him being nice, when I think that matters fairly little compared to what he was actually conveying, and whether he needed to say it, and whether this feedback he was giving was at all valuable

cause at the end of the day he's suggesting an incredibly common and well known thing (uh, multiple choice dialogue) as if it's a unique insight he can offer, and making assumptions about their mentality for doing things? and that can only feel patronizing to me, cause of course they've thought through what he's saying already- just because they're not doing it in the game as is doesn't mean they've never thought about multiple choice dialogue to add more player agency before, which might be the oldest and most basic thing you can do with the concept of meaningful choice in games! particularly as his reasoning is that this would increase investment in roleplaying, as if that's the big issue... when hours before she'd already made tweets later in thread talking about how players already being invested and how that impacts what she's discussing

like I said, had he not come in like that or phrased it as a question (and so clearly wanting her take on it, rather than debating it) it wouldn't have seemed like he was making assumptions about their mentality, like he was implying anything about her knowledge, like he was presenting something they hadn't considered

and at the end of the day we just can't use outwardly polite phrasing as a sign of good faith anyway, right? it does seem like he meant well here! but you could throw a lot of that phrasing, and his response about "creating dialogue and discussion", in the mouth of someone shitty who's absolutely coming at this in bad faith and disingenuously trying to start something and acting shocked when no one's up for entertaining it, and it would outwardly seem just as polite and respectable then, so that alone cannot be a determining factor

(...also, I didn't even consider this till now, but what's that weird bit about achievements even about? I want to find a generous interpretation for it, but without context it just sounds sorta bitter about something in the game?)

that's not saying she's wrong though

he's giving his opinion-"I don't believe the issue lies in the MMORPG genre itself(as you suggested)."

It's simple as that. It's as simple as not extrapolating more than needs to be extrapolated. There was evidence in the locked thread in gaming that he legit was a fan of her stuff. He simply offered his opinion right after she did an AMA on writing-the tweet she made was about the subject on hand, it wasn't a random tweet he responded to. He didn't come out swinging with 'NO YOU'RE WRONG IT'S NOT AN MMORPG ISSUE', he didn't say 'You're wrong and here's why', he didn't even say 'Let me tell you why it can be done'. It's literally 'I don't believe the issue lies in the mmorpg genre itself'.

That's all. It didn't deserve a response of calling him a rando asshat(When apparently he was partnered with arenanet) and to claim he was a sexist who was mansplaining. He probably feels like shit that this writer he likes isn't working on his favorite game right now.

Like I said, she didn't deserve to be fired. She didn't deserve the harassment. But she shouldn't have come out swinging at an innocuous conversation.