• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If their strategy is been stubborn with ESA, it really means arrogant sony is back and that is not a good sign.
21566.jpg

nelsonroyale

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I am not getting the point of Sony just announcing they are not attending E3 without announcing their own press event.

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
Sounds a bit like they're not doing something else instead as well
Right, the wording didn't exactly inspire confidence that they would have their own big dedicated event.

Yeah, it really does.

I suppose it makes sense. They probably don't really have many major first-party titles prepared for launch. They have some PS4 titles to still talk about, but they've already been shown for years and it would be idiotic to do an E3 where it's largely PS4 games we've already seen before.

My guess is PS5 detailed in an event coming up soon and PS4 titles get detailed as they get closer to release, either through State of Play events or just releasing videos like they were doing for Days Gone.

PS5 probably won't have much in the way of major launch exclusives and I'm gonna guess a lot of the stuff they talk about will be backwards compatibility, cross-play (cross-platform and cross-generation), how the new tech will cut down on loadtimes, and how backwards compatibility will run games better than they ran previously. I can see it including a 4K upscaler for backwards compatibility and the OS featuring things like an in-game overlay like you can do with NVIDIA software. There will be a few exclusives, for sure, but I think a lot of the big ones, like Horizon 2 for instance, will simply get teased for later if they get a mention at all.

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
It's officially dead, but it's been dead for years. I'll miss the old hype for sure :(. Used to have friends over on conference day and we'd watch them all.

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
I am glad I won't have to stay up until daft o' clock for whatever their E3 2018 was.

*Until the events they announce they're at are then at daft o' clock

fossi8

One Winged Slayer
Apr 22, 2018
Ok guys, first of all.. did you miss Sony E3 conference last year?

lord_of_flood

One Winged Slayer
Jan 1, 2018
E3 generally gave me something to look forward to every year with how much news came out of it, so I'll miss it when it dies (at least in the form it's currently in), but it's clear that the writing is on the wall for the expo if Sony's skipping it outright for the second year in a row now. I imagine that more publishers will follow suit in the next year or two since they can just time their announcements/exhibitions in ways where they'll get the most attention, rather than stuff being lost in all of the noise of a single event.

Phil me in

Nov 22, 2018
I don't understand skipping it. Isn't it just more exposer. They can do an individual event and still turn up to show case games etc.

Ebtesam

Self-Requested Ban
Apr 1, 2018
I've written in the past about how E3 feels like an empty husk now. This is IMO the final nail in the coffin, Microsoft will probably follow with its own show then you'll be left with an event where the major players don't even care to attend ($$$)
evem microsoft will get out too?

Dyno

AVALANCHE
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Well that sucks. When these companies entirely host their own shows it comes off as self felating bollocks usually. At least with E3 the competition aspect drove them to actually try sometimes. Now I expect a 2 hour show with a CEO droning on about crap nobody but the shareholders could care about.

Blanquito

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Too lazy to search, but I'm sure someone has done the "Sony made a huge mistake" copypasta already right?

Anyway, I think it makes sense for Sony to do it.

Lua

Aug 9, 2018
Sony and nintendo realized that, with twitter and social media, they can do whatever event they want at whatever point in time and it will reach just as big a public as e3 would, and they won't have to compete for attention. It's the right way.

And i don't feel bad for e3 dying. It's just a bunch of trailers and guys on suits talking.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
Okay I'll be honest and say I'm sad about this, E3 for all its faults was always like a few days of Christmas for me where I would watch all streams I could, if it dies then I feel there's nothing like that left. Individual Presentations don't generate 5-6 days of continued stream coverage.

Feb 26, 2018
I'm really surprised they didn't combo this news with announcing a PS5 event.

Cue Xbox press release tomorrow about them having their "biggest E3 ever"
As 2019 e3 showed - nobody generally cares about a company attending e3. It's sad that gaming Christmas is cancelled but most of big companies don't need e3 anymore

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
Sony not attending E3 last year kinda made sense, all things considered. Sony not attending E3 this year is the almightiest of middle fingers. That's one gigantic "fuck you" to the ESA.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Well at least us Brits don't have to stay up till 3am to watch a man play a shawm in front of some miffed journalists anymore.

Mr_F_Snowman

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone remember the "cube clubs" Nintendo put on during the Gamecube buildup? Getting those kind of vibes from Sony. Interesting

Djavanes

Nov 15, 2017
E3 conferences have the power to reach all the 3 consoles fans. With their own event, they only reach their own fan base. I think its a really bad move. Maybe they know Series X it's more powerful this time.

OtterMatic

Oct 25, 2017
but we do not feel the vision of E3 2020 is the right venue for what we are focused on this year.

this confirmed ESA is still going all in with influencers and good will thing, right?

anyway, I doubt they already find another venue in LA area during E3 weeks, but we'll see

Sanox

Oct 25, 2017
It does reek of arrogant Sony like Sony doesn't give a shit about any dev making games for their platforms and just takes their support for granted. Sony not being at E3 takes away an avenue for developers to present or showcase their games.

Really weird as well. Sony has a next gen console coming out this year and won't be at E3 where a lot of those Ps5 launch window titles should be getting announced normally.

megalowho

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
I get it, but I don't think the shift towards companies demanding tighter control over their PR pipeline is good for anyone but sycophants. When it comes down to it I'm a fan of the medium, not Sony exclusively. They don't want the unpredictability of a trade show environment and critical coverage getting in the way of a rollout, and they seem to not like working with the ESA as presently constructed. Both are understandable from an internal perspective, but I still believe a mainstream event like E3 lifts all comers when handled right, particularly smaller devs, and to see it die would be a loss.

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
If you were a marketing manager would you love E3? With the speed of news these days you can effectively announce things at any time and have full press coverage and be sure consumers see it. Why share the stage at one event when you can get the same coverage exclusive to yourself? Trade shows in general are losing their purpose.

Jimmypython

Oct 27, 2017
well sony can still do a press event right before E3...Nintendo never attends TGS but sometimes steals Sony's thunder by doing a press conference right around TGS: that 3DS year when they announced MH3G and MH4