Hitokiri03

Oct 25, 2017
I'm failing to understand references to Souls. This looks absolutely nothing like it:

BEcKMZG.gif
They really need to fix the sliding.

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017
There's no illusion: the player is deciding how to proceed, only in a different level of interaction.

I don't see either a system so straight and accesible becoming monotonous. It was a mere button away every time, and you're not even forced to use it.

Bruceleeroy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orange County
Hellblade actually made me a lot more excited for the combat in GoW. It felt really intimate and impactful. GoW will definitely be more fleshed out compared to that.

Yeah Hellblade is an excellent proof of concept. It had the best combat of any game this year. Mind you I haven't played Nioh yet

If a game is semi-comparable to Souls and Batman, it will be more likely to be compared to Dark Souls to Batman because people prefer Dark Souls?

I'm still confused. This doesn't look like Batman or Souls and Souls and Batman couldn't be more different from each other.

LAA

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Sad to hear that after ascension, GoW was considered dead. Should be easy to see why that didn't do so well that it didn't focus on what the series was known for and did well.

I am still mostly excited for this, But I am concerned whether this is really a god of war or not. I guess I'll still see enjoyment on it, But so far I haven't seen any real gore, which I consider a part of GoW, and I'm a bit concerned about the story/atmosphere seeing how the boy being around is lightening the mood, and I hope the story is going to cover the space between GoW3-GoW4

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah Hellblade is an excellent proof of concept. It had the best combat of any game this year. Mind you I haven't played Nioh yet.
They're not comparable, but Nioh is the deeper, better option in a traditional sense. In essence, it's what you get when fusing Ninja Gaiden with Dark Souls. It's as good as that sounds.

Hellblade is the opposite approach: less is more, light and impactful, but without much depth or variety. Exactly what the game needed.

I think For Honor is another good reference, not being mentioned around here.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
Sad to hear that after ascension, GoW was considered dead. Should be easy to see why that didn't do so well that it didn't focus on what the series was known for and did well.

I am still mostly excited for this, But I am concerned whether this is really a god of war or not. I guess I'll still see enjoyment on it, But so far I haven't seen any real gore, which I consider a part of GoW, and I'm a bit concerned about the story/atmosphere seeing how the boy being around is lightening the mood, and I hope the story is going to cover the space between GoW3-GoW4
Did you like not read or watch anything for this game?

I really dont get it.

Bruceleeroy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orange County
They're not comparable, but Nioh is the deeper, better option in a traditional sense. In essence, it's what you get when fusing Ninja Gaiden with Dark Souls. It's as good as that sounds.

Hellblade is the opposite approach: less is more, light and impactful, but without much depth or variety. Exactly what the game needed.

I think For Honor is another good reference, not being mentioned around here.

Well Dark Souls + Ninja Gaiden sounds incredible I need to jump into that. I'm just finishing up Nier.
Whats For Honor?

Cyborg

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Any chance someone could PM de link for the scans? Or is it not allowed to ask for them?

Not clear on thtat part...

IvorB

Oct 28, 2017
Combat:

-Combat is based on prioritizing enemies, it's not as chaotic as in the past. For example certain enemies are resistant to Leviathan which is Kratos Axe, others are impossible to stagger.
-Use of your surroundings is important to get through combat scenarios. Gives players a few different choices in completing combat scenarios.
-Leviathan is can be thrown to freeze certain enemies and a button needs to be pushed to summon it back to you.
-Not sure if this was known, but there's no jump button
-Shield is used to parry and as well in melee combat
-Arteus (Kratos' Son) is an extension of Kratos moveset, can be used to attack certain enemies by pushing the square button.
-While not being directed in combat Aretus will rain arrows on enemies which will increase their stun meter, once they are stunned Kratos can grab the enemies and either rip them apart or use them as weapons. The example given is a specific enemy creates an area of effect attack that launches the rest of the enemies in the air

Upgrade System:
-Skills, armor, weapons can all be upgraded
-Uses some type of crafting system that the developers are being tight lipped about
-Can craft different types of armor
-Skill upgrades and crafting of armor applies to Arteus as well
-There are rune slots on the axe that can change the properties of the weapon for both light and heavy attack

Weapons:
-Being tight lipped about other weapons appearing in the game, but say that the Axe and Shield are the star of the show.

Miscellaneous
-They wanted to get away from the destroy all Gods mentality that they had in previous God of Wars so they Made Kratos more vulnerable. The only time he really goes insane in combat is during Spartan Rage where he starts demolishing characters with just his fists.
-After Ascension it was hard to get the higher ups to sign off onto another God of War game, they were pretty much done with the franchise, Cory had to pitch something great and fresh in order to get the game greenlit.
-Cory speaking about the future of God of War mentions the Mayan Era or the Egyptian Era
-Cory mentions he wants this new direction of God of War to reach way more people and go into Uncharted and Assassins Creed levels and to grow the franchise

All of this sounds like incredibly standard stuff from the modern, mainstream gaming playbook so I wonder what about this so impressed Sony higher ups with its freshness. Was it the kid?

Shame they didn't go with Mayan era. That would have been something.

SilkySm00th

Oct 31, 2017
Trust in Barlog....

I cannot wait to peel apart some Norse myth's with my bare, Spartan Rage filled hands.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
All of this sounds like incredibly standard stuff from the modern, mainstream gaming playbook so I wonder what about this so impressed Sony higher ups with its freshness. Was it the kid?

Its freshness for the series , new camera, new setting,new gameplay, new story.

Oct 27, 2017
Russia, Moscow
Can't say I'm into the look and sound of this new one at all with the biggest turn-off being the kid's omnipresence. The series needed to be shaken up, that's pretty undeniable, but on paper at least this is isn't a direction I'm interested in.

I'd check out a demo at some point but doubt they'll release one.

That's exactly my thoughts. The not so father-like figure nurturing the kid. In a game that reveled in blood and gore. TLoU effect or just coincidence, but of all changes that's the only thing (on paper) that puts me off the game.

3bpRlxz.jpg

I'm failing to understand references to Souls. This looks absolutely nothing like it:

BEcKMZG.gif

How about this:
4PMklAz.gif

Abrasion Test

Oct 27, 2017
The lack of a jump button alone isn't enough to condemn the traversal in this game. We simply don't know enough about how getting around looks like to know if there won't be contextual actions in place of a jump. Seems a bit hasty.

LAA

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Did you like not read or watch anything for this game?

I really dont get it.

? Yes?

Only gore I've seen so far is like lava blood and haven't seen anything as extreme as GoW1-3 did in that department, like ripping out intestines, decapitation etc. Not that I play it for that alone ha ha, but as I said I do consider it a part of what makes GoW what it is.

Story concerns are more unfounded, think it's likely they'll cover the gap, but the boy does worry me more with his interactions in combat making more light of things happening.

Combat wise I have no problems with it, all looking good, actually refreshing in this department, Which is good because initially I was said yet another hack/slash game seemed to be gone, but I'm happy with this direction I think the more I've seen.

Abrasion Test

Oct 27, 2017

There aren't many big budget games set in Norse mythology. There also aren't alot of high quality third person melee action titles with a cinematic focus. If the pitch was literally "third person melee action game with Last of Us level cutscenes" that's an instant win.

Interesting to see some of the backlash in here. I remember the initial response being super positive since it felt like they couldn't just bring back the same God of War again. That mentality is how we ended up with Gears 4 and Halo 4 being good games, but ultimately unexciting and well worn territory that don't expand the franchise in any meaningful way. It's good for series to reinvent and change, ala Resident Evil, Assassin's Creed. I'm sure this game will still maintain many of the core elements of past titles.

Last edited:

SLB1904

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
now that we got at the end of the circle

do you guys know when is the next game informer update?

PaypayTR

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
while ESRB leak mentioned duel weapon i dont think blade of chaos would work in this game . Maybe a dream level that you go back to Sparta and play with different camera.

Duel weapon is likely to be 2 hand sword.

GIANKRATOS

Oct 26, 2017
while ESRB leak mentioned duel weapon i dont think blade of chaos would work in this game . Maybe a dream level that you go back to Sparta and play with different camera.

Duel weapon is likely to be 2 hand sword.

It specifically says chained blades tho :P But yeah, it will be probably used in a moment like that.

PaypayTR

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It specifically says chained blades tho :P But yeah, it will be probably used in a moment like that.
damn i hope they release challenge missions with blade of chaos then. Or let us use in beginning of game after tutorial or something.

who am i kidding, either it wont be playable in main game or only main game+

Jacob4815

Oct 29, 2017
Until yesterday this was the most wanted game and today 20 pages of complaints and people hating the game for a "no jump button". LOL this thread.

Agni Kai

Nov 2, 2017
I want to play this game so much. The devs have been extremely careful with the release date, so I assume they are tuning and polishing every possible detail for the game to launch without complications.

I love the details described in the OP. It truly seems like a huge breath of fresh air for the series.

ED_209

Banned
Dec 6, 2017
Curitiba/Brazil
Regarding the no jumping button, was trying to remember the recent 3rd person action games that didn't have it either (and looks like they did not need to tbh):

Gears Of War
The Last Of Us
Metal Gear Solid V (I'm not 100% sure about this one since I didn't played the game yet)
Hellblade
NiOh
The Order 1886
Ryse
Demon Souls

Falconbox

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buffalo, NY
These details are absolutely NOT what I want from the franchise.

I've been lukewarm on the slow, plodding trailers up to this point, and this just confirms my reservations.

No jumping, meaning no juggling multiple enemies through crazy combos, and no platforming. I worry that they've completely stripped the identity of the series from this game, and we'll be left with a mediocre 3rd person action game whose only claim to fame is that it's called "God of War."

Onebadlion

Oct 27, 2017
i dont understand the hate for crafting
it gives a sense of achievement
i dont know what craft system is in this game but to my understanding it gives a reason to explore the world

i for one love to craft better and good looking weapons and armor

I don't like crafting at all. It's usually just an excuse to add a few collectibles to pad out the content. It also often leads to tedious inventory management, but the worst thing about it is that the actual crafting is usually little more than highlighting a couple of items and hitting a button. Where is the satisfaction? There's no craft to it whatsoever and it's not fun at all. Players should want to explore the world because it's interesting, not to collect random crap. It's hard to justify its inclusion really, other than to tick a feature box.

I'm undecided on this take on GoW. I have faith in Corey, but I'm not sold on what I've seen and read so far. My overarching feeling is why is this not a new IP? Kratos is divisive as hell, and the GoW story was done and dusted after number 3.

SLB1904

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Who says he never rolled before? That's the demonstration of why people talk about Souls similarities.

thats nonsense
its not even worth arguing about it

I don't like crafting at all. It's usually just an excuse to add a few collectibles to pad out the content. It also often leads to tedious inventory management, but the worst thing about it is that the actual crafting is usually little more than highlighting a couple of items and hitting a button. Where is the satisfaction? There's no craft to it whatsoever. It's hard to justify its inclusion really, other than to tick a feature box.

I'm undecided on this take on GoW. I have faith in Corey, but I'm not sold on what I've seen and read so far. My overarching feeling is why is this not a new IP? Kratos is divisive as hell, and the GoW story was done and dusted after number 3.

that doesnt sound like tlous at all

Now instead we get simplistic slow combat instead.

ffs

And yet Bayonetta 3 and most likely Devil May Cry 5 are soon to be coming out. And we just got a combo heavy Nier Automata last year.

Saying that style is dead in this day and age is silly.

lets see how they sell first shall we

Are they not revealing anything today?

tomorrow we hope

Last edited:

Falconbox

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buffalo, NY
Thank God combat us not just some mashing button stuff anymore.

I love this change, old God of War was great for thats time but in this day and age would be a terrible idea.

And yet Bayonetta 3 and most likely Devil May Cry 5 are soon to be coming out. And we just got a combo heavy Nier Automata last year.

Saying that style is dead in this day and age is silly.