• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
How do some of you not get that Kratos is a very popular character why is this hard to grasp?

Who cares how many games he was in he is the God Of War, that is the whole point.
Because it's a story driven franchise, he's already been in 6 games and it wouldn't hurt to have a new protagonist. Nathan Drake and Ellie aren't gonna be in 15 Uncharted or TLOU games and Kratos has a shelf life too.

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if this is the beggining of the pre-release news/hype marketing and we'll get more details from other outlets soon or if this is really just some exclusive coverage. Its kinda wierd how they are still dancing around the release date and how little we have seen from the game since the reveal in 2016, when the game was in a early stage. I reckon most complains(and "concerns") would die down if they showed a little bit more of the game.

Oct 26, 2017
"25% of the game is on the boat"

......... Well, I can't tell if this is sarcasm or not.

Think it's sarcasm, but only 80% sure on that.

Onebadlion

Oct 27, 2017
You are not absorbing orbs for health like in all God fo war's. Similar to last of us, and to an extent horizon/witcher you are finding ingredients to craft health items.

Oh ok. Gotcha. I'm still not convinced because although it's a break from the orbs, it's not new or different, so it doesn't feel like a meaningful change. They've swapped an old mechanic for another old mechanic. Just comes down to which you prefer I guess.

PaypayTR

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
unlockable costumes confirmed. thank god
gow2-kratos2.jpg

Oct 27, 2017
Gotta be sarcasm. If the game is around 30hrs long there's no way you will be spending 7.5hrs on a boat. Hell, most of the old games could probably be finished in 7,5hrs lol.

zoukka

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Because it's a story driven franchise, he's already been in 6 games and it wouldn't hurt to have a new protagonist. Nathan Drake and Ellie aren't gonna be in 15 Uncharted or TLOU games and Kratos has a shelf life too.

True. But this is a soft reboot for him. His powers are clearly stripped and he's in a a completely different setting.

Who knows if the boy is his successor that we'll get to know during this game.

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
This game is going to be 5hit

There are side quests...this is kind of sounding more like Horizon / ACO / Witcher 3 model to me now.

Drayco21

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
No jumping? Square button dedicated to the kid? Crafting equipment? Not digging any of this. Hope playing it wins me over.

SLB1904

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
This game is going to be 5hit

There are side quests...this is kind of sounding more like Horizon / ACO / Witcher 3 model to me now.

Looks more like black flag. If kratos was blonde u wouldn't be able to see the difference lol

All that water my god I'm thirsty

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Go4's combat is clearly slower than the previous games, and unless there is some swishy ass fast weapon we haven't seen yet, it's probably still going to remain at roughly the same speed. Anyone that plays action games can tell roughly how fast the combat is just by what we've seen here. No need to wait for the game is out for that. That's just nonsensical.

That said, there still might be unseen depth to the combat. 3 was on the surface basically the same game as the others, but people found more depth by digging. Same with DmC, DMC4 and so on. Time will tell. Game's not going to change direction, and it's unlikely that future games will either, so we might as well see how that turns out.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
Optional objective marker too.

This is sounding like a Norse them God Of War rpg which is fantastic.

Oct 27, 2017
So what. game wont be 25-35 hours period. All devs says their game takes 50 hours or more but it never is. They must have different calculation methods than us.
The game is playable from beginning to end. It took playtesters over 30 hours to finish the game, recording their playtime was the "calculation method'. While the game isnt exactly open world its also not linear anymore. It has hidden levels, bosses and side-quests. Its definitely possible it takes a while to finish.

Voror

Oct 25, 2017
The boat comment is probably a joke. Unless there are Berserk fans there. Then we might be in trouble.

The lack of jump is kind of a bummer. I've come to realize I like being able to jump in games. Hope it all ends up playing well. Haven't played any of the old games since Ascension came out so it's been long enough I don't really remember.

I wonder if there will be anything like the temple from the first game. That was always such a cool thing for me to go through this giant thing and then have it change at one point. Not sure exactly how to explain it.

Dragon1893

Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty hyped for this. I'm a big GoW fan since day 1 but the franchise needed a fresh start and I trust them to deliver.
They could've gone all the way though and create a new protagonist to go along with the new setting, but they probably figured that was too much. With how much they're changing the gameplay, there would be nothing left from God of War at this point.

As for humanizing Kratos, I'm assuming this will only be noticeable during the interactions with his son, which isn't out of character at all, not only is avenging his family the premise of the whole saga, but it has already been done in Chains of Olympus, I think people need to refresh their memories in regards to what happens in that game.
Not only does Kratos show genuine affection for his daughter, but the antagonist toys with those feeling in a truly cruel way, that game justifies better than any other what drives Kratos throughout the saga.
I'm looking forward to seeing how his relation with his son evolves, after what happened with his previous family I'm not surprised that he's a more distant father. Becoming too close to his son will only open him up to another blow. It's the same situation Joel finds himself in at the start of TLOU.