• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

PKthndr

Oct 25, 2017
What's google gonna gain by spying on me? Are they going to find out I like honey bunches of oats and then target cereal ads at me or something? I'm not important enough to spy on.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Yes of course. That's a feature of CEC control on your TV. Also, Roku just announced integration with Google Assistant.
cool. I can try both and see which I like better then.
I'm still pretty new to the smart tv stuff lol.
I only got a smart TV because it was the best TV I Could buy for the price and didn't figure I would use the smart tv stuff.
now that I have one I use it all the time.

my current plan with one of these devices was to just stick it in the kitchen to have music playing while cleaning dishes, but if I can control my TV with one of these it will help when the TV is to loud and one of my pets jumped up on me and I need to turn it down but don't have the remote.

RBH

Official ERA expert on Third Party Football
Nov 2, 2017
How does this compare to the Echo Dot?

Is one considered significantly better than the other?

philipnorth

Oct 31, 2017
Such a shame its us only. Wouldnt mind getting one for that. Hell even for just a little bit more I'd be fine with it.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Still working? So if I understand you get 3 monthsnof spotify and YouTube music and a google mini for 1$?
actually you will only get 2 months.

the theory is the 3 months for $1 gives your account a $30 credit which would normally pay for 3 months.
the family plan is $15, so you end up with only 2 months of it.
aka you will only have it until mid january not feb though I think you can cancel right away and still have access to it just fine.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Just got it and will immediately go on eBay. Does the Home Mini come linked to my Google account? Should I open it and unlink it?

Good luck with that. This deal has been going on for a few weeks, still has another month to go, and it used to be free. Price has actually gone up. ;)

Market is going to be flooded with these.

joecanada

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
I consider these devices as spyware.

I personally don't plan on keeping my $1 Echo Dot nor $1 Home Mini. Just going to give them away.

EDIT:
I consider my smartphone to be spyware too. But I really need that for practical purposes in both work and life. Digital assistants though, I can easily do without.
Agreed I just last night was stating that every single deal Of The day on Amazon is yup the echo !
I wouldn't put that in my house for 100 / month paying ME

faceless

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
did this yesterday.

will make a great xmas gift.

did the Spotify app on Android ever stop hijacking audio devices by default or at least give you the option to turn off autoplay?

GK86

Oct 25, 2017
These "OMG spy devices" posts are annoying. Like you don't carry around a smartphone in your pocket.

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
they aren't always turned on and in an centralized part of the house and they have better permissions settings for their sensors

I'm pretty sure your cell phone is recording all the time in the same way these are. Unless you actually shutting it down when you arent using it.

Deleted member 46493

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
Good luck with that. This deal has been going on for a few weeks, still has another month to go, and it used to be free. Price has actually gone up. ;)

Market is going to be flooded with these.

I bet. Well, I sold the Echo from last week's promotion for $40 already. Also, for some reason this Home Mini was $0 not $1 so honestly I can sell it at any price and at least I'll get a meal out of it.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
I bet. Well, I sold the Echo from last week's promotion for $40 already. Also, for some reason this Home Mini was $0 not $1 so honestly I can sell it at any price and at least I'll get a meal out of it.

The Echo promo was live for about 6 hours.

This will have a run of almost two months. You might get a shut-in who's never heard of the promo, but Spotify has put some advertising $$$ behind this one.

Deleted member 46493

Banned
Aug 7, 2018
The Echo promo was live for about 6 hours.

This will have a run of almost two months. You might get a shut-in who's never heard of the promo, but Spotify has put some advertising $$$ behind this one.

Fair enough. Worse case scenario - gift for a family member. As long as they like the coral color of course :)

Deleted member 21709

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
What's it like to own and use this and the Amazon echo in the same house? Annoying? Which device should I choose?

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
Only if you turn this feature on (iphone at least).

Do you really think the government spying through your devices is going to abide by such a thing?

There is a reason people take precautions like putting phones in those special bags like Snowden did when he was revealing shit.

Oct 29, 2017
Do you really think the government spying through your devices is going to abide by such a thing?

There is a reason people take precautions like putting phones in those special bags like Snowden did when he was revealing shit.

Do you really think the government can just snap their fingers and they get instant microphone access to any device of their choosing?

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
Do you really think the government can just snap their fingers and they get instant microphone access to any device of their choosing?

No. But that's the fear in this thread of having these spy devices isn't it? There is no particular reason to fear these devices more than our always on, always with us sell phones with same capabilities.

Deleted member 2595

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, like if they're legit throwing their product at you like this, it means they literally must be making money off your "buy" some other way, which nowadays basically means selling the shit out of your data and choices

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
A second Mini can't be a bad thing. It'll be nice to make use of the Audio Group feature.

leder

Oct 25, 2017

I'm not operating on that level of paranoia. I'm pointing out that there's a difference between the devices in terms of what they listen to per spec.

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
I'm not operating on that level of paranoia. I'm pointing out that there's a difference between the devices in terms of what they listen to per spec.

Sure I get that. But if we are at a point where the government is listening to us through our devices, we have already lost that battle. Sure something like a smart speaker would seemingly be much easier to utilize, but cell phones have the same capability, so if the government is going to spy on us through our devices, it's just an additional setting that they could easily hurdle over.

On top of all that, if the government has targeted you and is trying to fuck you over, a smart speaker is the least of your worries.

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
Shouldn't it creep people out that these companies are willing to throw away this much money just to get these smart devices inside your house?
But it's a DOLLAR!

i agree, I don't and won't own one of these. I just need my phone to spy on me thank you very much

leder

Oct 25, 2017
Sure I get that. But if we are at a point where the government is listening to us through our devices, we have already lost that battle. Sure something like a smart speaker would seemingly be much easier to utilize, but cell phones have the same capability, so if the government is going to spy on us through our devices, it's just an additional setting that they could easily hurdle over.

On top of all that, if the government has targeted you and is trying to fuck you over, a smart speaker is the least of your worries.
Yes, which is why I'm not in here arguing that. Giant tech corporations listening to everything that goes on in my house is disconcerting enough, and that's literally what these products are primarily for.

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
Yes, which is why I'm not in here arguing that. Giant tech corporations listening to everything that goes on in my house is disconcerting enough, and that's literally what these products are primarily for.

In theory they shouldn't be. As I understand it they are constantly listening for the trigger word, such as Hey Google, Alexa. Some kind of listen and record loop that is deleted unless it has the trigger to actually sent over to the company