• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like Stadia (or something like Stadia) is gonna look more attractive when next gen arrives if anything.

Being able to play next gen games on your TV in 4K/HDR without needing to drop $400 on a new console? That's not appealing?

You can be watching a Digital Foundry video and just click a little play button next to the YouTube video and play the game straight away. Streaming RDR2 now or whatever sounds cool but I feel like it's gonna feel real impressive when we're dealing with games that would otherwise require a significant hardware investment otherwise.

But then all Sony or MS need to do is enable next gen game streaming on the old consoles and that selling point evaporates.

Absoludacrous

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Existing products on the market will have noticeably worse graphics than Stadia. It's exactly enthusiasts it is aimed at.

Not worse enough that it justifies all the drawbacks. Enthusiasts are absolutely not their market. I mean look at the reaction in this thread.

The only market they succeed with is casuals who want to dip their toes in the enthusiast waters.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
Not worse enough that it justifies all the drawbacks. Enthusiasts are absolutely not their market. I mean look at the reaction in this thread.

The only market they succeed with is casuals who want to dip their toes in the enthusiast waters.
You apparently have missed all the threads complaining about games not running at 60fps, comparing framerates, linking to Digital Foundry videos comparing tiny graphical differences on different platforms... :P Saying enthusiasts aren't Google's target market is like saying the PS4 Pro or Xbox One X isn't targeting enthusiasts.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Existing products on the market will have noticeably worse graphics than Stadia. It's exactly enthusiasts it is aimed at. Casual gamers, sure, they'll just keep playing on their existing consoles.

I don't think there is necessarily evidence that "better graphics" alone draw enthusiasts gamers en masse. And I also don't see hardware an "obstacle" to that crowd, which is what Google seems to be hoping for. The people that care that much about performance and graphics seem fine with building a PC (or, to an extent, buying an Xbox One X or PS4 Pro) rather than going streaming only and accepting all of the caveats that come with it.

I just don't see the audience for it right now, at least not in any meaningful number. My guess is this gets completely overshadowed in the next 6 or so months as westart to learn more about new hardware from MS and Sony, because, again, gaming enthusiasts don't seem to view hardware as a detriment to the hobby. If fact it's just the opposite.

Absoludacrous

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
You apparently have missed all the threads complaining about games not running at 60fps, comparing framerates, linking to Digital Foundry videos comparing tiny graphical differences on different platforms... :P Saying enthusiasts aren't Google's target market is like saying the PS4 Pro or Xbox One X isn't targeting enthusiasts.

None of those threads had people clamoring for Stadia as a solution. There also aren't any examples of a game running perfectly on Stadia while showing performance issues on current enthusiast hardware. By and large the enthusiast reception towards Stadia is negative, and their marketing hasn't done anything to try to turn opinions around since the initial reveal. The only enthusiast push they even have are the small handful of grassroots posters in this thread.

Deleted member 16365

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
By the time this is open wide to non Founders the list will be much bigger. I don't understand the outrage from people in this thread. I guess any reason to badmouth Stadia is a good one.

CaptainK

Oct 29, 2017
Canada
American console launch lineups this century to compare.

*snip*
Wii U came out swinging for the fences!

But yeah, Stadia's lineup is quite underwhelming, even considering the additional 14 "launch window" titles. Still, Google has a year to build the library. I think the real test will be if Stadia gets major new releases day-and-date with PS5 and Scarlett. Next year is gonna be interesting.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
Existing products on the market will have noticeably worse graphics than Stadia. It's exactly enthusiasts it is aimed at. Casual gamers, sure, they'll just keep playing on their existing consoles.

Enthusiasts wanna see those graphics rendered natively on their system.

If enthusiasts can't even stand anything other than native resolution on their monitor (they don't even accept those Nvidia DLSS or Checkerboarding), why do you think they will ever settle for a prerendered video feed?

DXB-KNIGHT

Oct 27, 2017
kufzpCklM2giC-V8baSNynyjau8=.gif

CurseVox

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts (USA)
This can greatly vary. Especially since only few people will use Stadia in the beginning.

What would happen if one million people wants to play 4k "high settings" Destiny in the evening? The game quality settings will be decreased and streaming quality will probably be go down too. Google will not really provide a high end PC for every user, its just a marketing trick. They somehow hope that all user will play at different times, otherwise the whole thing would be a making a high loss.

No offense, but I hope you're wrong.Well that would suck!! If anyone has the capcity to support a gazillion users, it would be google. But now that you said that I'm really starting to have second thoughts at this point. I hope some impressions start coming soon...

BearPawB

I'm a fan of the erotic thriller genre
Oct 25, 2017
I guess I didn't realize it actually had to be ported over to stadia.
I thought it was basically just going to be the windows versions. But I guess that is why destiny players are only playing with other stadia players huh?

Bricktop

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Enthusiastically talking about games isn't the same as being an enthusiast, this place is as casual as the next.

Bigwombat

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
This thing is DOA. Founders, early access, whatever you wanna call this it sends a bad message. This will get made fun of and no one is going to give a rip about this thing as ps5 and next box are going to dominate the airwaves.

Yo Google, I remember my first beer. Get outta here with all that tomb raider and 1 exclusive! Weak sauce.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
Cancelled my preorder a few weeks ago. I'm interested in streaming gaming but I'm increasingly not convinced Google will be a good solution for it. I'm going to take the wait and see approach to see what MS and Sony roll out next gen.

Apokalipz

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 1, 2019
Damn that's terrible. A bunch of old ass games and one exclusive. Yikes. Can't help but feel like it's launching too soon.

minimalism

Jan 9, 2018
I'm not trying to bash Stadia, but who on earth is willing to spend full retail price on top of sub costs for those games? This thing is really screaming half baked.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
My thoughts are basically

1) These games are all fucking cheap as chips for bargain hunters on other platforms (minus RDR2).
2) Thumper is best at 120fps.

Last edited:

Dave.

Oct 27, 2017
So a bunch of people watching a Markiplier live stream on Youtube "used an excessive amount of emotes", and as a result had their google accounts banned. Which is horrific enough, considering for a lot of them gmail was their main email address. In the future this will include your Stadia access and purchases also! Would recommend being careful of your emote quota to the Stadia superfans itt.

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
Enthusiasts wanna see those graphics rendered natively on their system.

If enthusiasts can't even stand anything other than native resolution on their monitor (they don't even accept those Nvidia DLSS or Checkerboarding), why do you think they will ever settle for a prerendered video feed?
Agreed, any kind of artifacting or stuttering from the video streams is gonna be a major blow against Stadia and make a lot of their marketing irrelevant.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
Seems like a standard launch. Sure it's nothing special but few console launches are. What will people be saying when PS5 and next gen Xbox release with mostly 4k remasters of last gen games? You know it's going to happen.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
It's almost as if it'll take time to build out, like with every new platform and technology throughout history.
You can't seriously be pretending this looks as good as the latest console launch lineups, or even the last major game system brand launch (Xbox launched with numerous AAA games and third party titles in 2001, including exclusive AAA titles like Halo).

They are competing with Xbox, Nintendo, and PlayStation above all. They are not putting up competitive lineups for launch.

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
Seems like a standard launch. Sure it's nothing special but few console launches are. What will people be saying when PS5 and next gen Xbox release with mostly 4k remasters of last gen games? You know it's going to happen.

Has a console ever launched with no new and/or exclusive games?

EDIT: Didn't know Gylt was Stadia exclusive.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
I'm gonna go with a Oof and a small side of yikes smothered in yeesh please

Agent X

Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey
Weird to have only 12 titles, which three of them are Tomb Raider games. They could've way more games, like add a bunch of indie games maybe?
I mean, the devs don't have to make the games or port the games to a specific hardware, so they don't have to "rush" it to make a deadline, like with dedicated hardware.

Stadia was officially announced about 8 months ago. Google should have put in some effort to convince some smaller developers to quickly port over some older games to fill in genre gaps. I've said many times that they could use some games priced under $10 to act as quick impulse buys, particularly for people who still have reservations about the service or streaming video game technology in general.

Do new consoles normally have hundreds of games ready for new launch?

Some consoles have had hundreds of games playable on Day One through backward compatibility. We didn't get that luxury with the release of PlayStation 4, Xbox One, or Switch, so this might seem like a lost art from a distant era. However, Sony and Microsoft have both pledged that their next systems will have immediate backward compatibility off the bat. That is what Stadia will have to compete with next year.

You do actually have to port to this, it's not just running Windows.

Yes, people have pointed this out repeatedly. Perhaps Google should've anticipated the "difficulty" in porting and/or optimizing games for the Stadia hardware, and implemented an alternative "plan B" method of quickly getting traditional computer games up and running on the service. This would have enabled them to offer a vastly larger catalog of games for customers to choose from, while they wait for the more demanding games to finish development.

SirThou

Oct 27, 2017
Looking forward to seeing what that lineup's like when it's open to non-founders. I'm behind the concept of Stadia, but they have some work and some proving to do to get my $.

Feb 10, 2018
I'd imagine you'd have to pay an incredible amount to rope in most well-known developers for such a risky endeavour. It's possible they tried and failed.

If Sony + ms can do it then Google can, in fact they are a complete joke for not doing so.

The first rule of the gaming platform business is that you need great exclusives to draw people in.

I can't take stadia seriously until they spend at least $1000,000,000 on devs.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Some of us Stadia skeptics are not even slightly anti Google (outside of privacy concerns like so many platforms).

I have bought like six Pixel and Nexus phones in a row, use Google Play Music as my music streaming service and so on. I think Stadia is half baked as hell.

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
Didn't Google invest in a first party studio to make Stadia exclusive games?

An exclusive title for launch would have made it much more appealing.

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
Jeez, I'm actually positive on Stadia, but this is not an exciting launch lineup at all. Not that the games are bad by any stretch, but announcing a launch roster a week out with nothing but readily available ports with no prices (a quarter of which are Tomb Raider games) is not up to snuff.

(That said, I'm slightly interested in Red Dead II if it's cheap and runs at crazy graphical settings.)

giallo

Oct 27, 2017
Seoul
It's definitely a weak line up. I was hoping it would launch with a couple of dozen games out of the gate. I wasn't expecting a big exclusive title, but I wonder why we don't see big publishers like EA, Capcom, Namco/Bandai and Activision here. Having RE2, The Dark Souls series, EA Sports games and Modern Warfare would have made this look a lot more appealing for the masses at launch.

Of course, I'm interested in seeing how RDR2 runs, but I'm not $60 interested. I finished that game close to a year ago.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
I am just shocked at Doom 2016, the game that convinced them streaming could work is not part of the launch... nor planned for 2019.

vrcsix

Oct 29, 2017
For reference, here's the PlayStation 4 launch lineup:

Angry Birds Star Wars
Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag
Battlefield 4
Blacklight: Retribution (Beta)
Call of Duty: Ghosts*
Contrast
DC Universe Online*
DiveKick
FIFA 14*
Flower (Cross-Buy)
Injustice: Gods Among Us Ultimate Edition
Just Dance 2014
Killzone Shadow Fall
Knack
LEGO: Marvel Super Heroes*
Madden NFL 25*
NBA 2K14*
NBA Live 14*
Need for Speed: Rivals
PlayRoom
Resogun
Skylanders Swap Force*
Sound Shapes (Cross-Buy)
Super Motherload
Trine 2: The Complete Story
Warframe

With few exceptions, platform launches are generally pretty bad.

X-Peaceman-X

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
I don't think there is necessarily evidence that "better graphics" alone draw enthusiasts gamers en masse. And I also don't see hardware an "obstacle" to that crowd, which is what Google seems to be hoping for. The people that care that much about performance and graphics seem fine with building a PC (or, to an extent, buying an Xbox One X or PS4 Pro) rather than going streaming only and accepting all of the caveats that come with it.

I just don't see the audience for it right now, at least not in any meaningful number. My guess is this gets completely overshadowed in the next 6 or so months as westart to learn more about new hardware from MS and Sony, because, again, gaming enthusiasts don't seem to view hardware as a detriment to the hobby. If fact it's just the opposite.
If the stadia team is smart they will be right there the whole way on the journey to next gen showing that stadia is capable of matching next gen consoles and surpassing them even. IF they are smart that is. In a way the march to new consoles could boost there numbers