• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
20ms on top of the input lag from your tv and the native input lag from the game itself, plus input lag from the hardware.
Ideal In home wifi streaming latency is typically around 2-5ms.
Local is 0ms because you are local and so nothing has to be transmitted before the thing knows you are pressing buttons so your only dealing with native latency from the hardware and the game itself.

Stadia is basically a man in the middle everything is going to be slower no matter what.
So it will only add 20ms to the total ms vs local hardware

razu1976

Oct 30, 2017
20ms on top of the input lag from your tv and the native input lag from the game itself, plus input lag from the hardware.
Ideal In home wifi streaming latency is typically around 2-5ms.
Local is 0ms because you are local and so nothing has to be transmitted before the thing knows you are pressing buttons so your only dealing with native latency from the hardware and the game itself.

Stadia is basically a man in the middle everything is going to be slower no matter what.

I didn't see the second part of the quote! No it's going to be much more than 20ms, as you say!!

sleepr

Banned for misusing pronouns feature
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
There's also a difference in input lag from PC and consoles, do you think most people notice that? Obviously the answer is no.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone think Stadia going after exclusives could be a problem
I only have a problem with it if the games they go after aren't taking advantage of the platform in a huge way. If they don't and they're a permanent exclusive and the game would have otherwise come out elsewhere, I'd have a problem. This kind of goes for everyone though (minus the taking advantage of the platform part).

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I only have a problem with it if the games they go after aren't taking advantage of the platform in a huge way. If they don't and they're a permanent exclusive and the game would have otherwise come out elsewhere, I'd have a problem.

Yeah any Stadia exclusive should take full advantage of the platform.

closer

Oct 25, 2017
Except both parties are already connected to the same stadia instance. The local machine running this instance won't introduce any more lag. You hit a button your inputs go to the cloud server and that's it the server doesn't have any local hardware of your own to send a ping back to so your local machine can register hits and whatnot. Stadia should actually eliminate lag when playing online against other people since the local machine is doing all the computing between everyone playing on that instance.

I just want some clarity on this; are you saying that online fighting game play will be done via emulated local play (something like parsec: https://parsecgaming.com/) where the players circumvent the netcode/matchmaking?

Nif

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
God I wish these conspiracy theories were true and Google Fiber came to my city.

Fletcher

Oct 25, 2017
Pre-Ordered. Can always cancels if hands on reactions are extremely negative, but I'm fully on board with the future of videogames. Whether it's from Google or MS. This is the way we are going. :shrugemoji:

dadoes

Feb 15, 2018
Data caps? If you don't play at 4k/60 with 5.1 surround you shouldn't run into any problems, unless you have some sort of terrible ISP. Are you saying only casuals will play at 1080p? I think you're quite wrong there, Steam's statistics show that less than 2% of their users play games at 4k. With 4k/60 with 5.1 surround, it would take 65 hours of gaming to reach 1TB.

I have a 1tb data cap with comcast

How are I calculating your numbers?

I was part of the Assassin Creed Odyssey beta and I went over my 1tb data cap playing the game a just few hours a day.

1080p uses about 20 Mbps and 4k uses 35 Mbps.

if you play 2 hours a day at 1080p, thats about 500 gigs a month.

if you play 2 hours a day at 4k thats about 900 gigs a month.

I guess thats ok if you have a dedicated line all by yourself, but I have a family of 4 that all use the internet. So taking up half of my data cap just for stadia is a non starter for me.

Last edited:

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
How are I calculating your numbers?

I was part of the assassin Creed Odyssey beta and I went over my 1tb data cap playing the game a few hours a day.

1080 uses about 20 Mbps and 4k uses 35 Mbps.
35 megabits per second = 2100 megabits per minute = 126,000 megabits per hour = 15,750 megaBYTES per hour.
65 hours = 1,023,750 megabytes ~= 1 Terabyte
65 hours is around 2 hours each day for a month assuming playing it every single day and doing nothing else on the internet

20 megbits per second = 1200 megabits per minute = 72,000 megabits per hour = 9000 megaBYTES per hour
113 hours = 1,017,000 megabytes ~= 1 Terabyte
113 hours is around 3:45 a day for a month

Since Google says 20 megabits gets you 1080p, HDR color, 5.1 surround, you could probably drop bandwidth a bit by going to stereo sound and losing HDR. DOA for everyone except casuals is an exaggeration in this case. Maybe DOA for very hardcore gamers with lots of other bandwidth needs.

Last edited:

dadoes

Feb 15, 2018
35 megabits per second = 2100 megabits per minute = 126,000 megabits per hour = 15,750 megaBYTES per hour.
65 hours = 1,023,750 megabytes ~= 1 Terabyte
65 hours is around 2 hours each day for a month assuming playing it every single day and doing nothing else on the internet

20 megbits per second = 1200 megabits per minute = 72,000 megabits per hour = 9000 megaBYTES per hour
113 hours = 1,017,000 megabytes ~= 1 Terabyte
113 hours is around 3:45 a day for a month

Since Google says 20 megabits gets you 1080p, HDR color, 5.1 surround, you could probably drop bandwidth a bit by going to stereo sound and losing HDR

i'd rather get a ps5 when that comes out..

I stand by my original statement, datacaps are going to be a big issue with stadia. I have a family of 4 that all share a single comcast line, if I get stadia I'm going to worry about going over my 1tb limit every month. I dont' want to think about how much gaming I can do just so I don't go over my cap.

In addition, when other people in my family use the internet, I ran into all sorts of latency/bw issues with the stadia beta. And thats after I setup all of the qos on my router.

So i guess if you buy a dedicated line just for stadia, all of these issues are solved, but that ends up costing a lot of extra money, might as well get a real console.

Last edited:

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
i'd rather get a ps5 when that comes out..

I stand by my original statement, datacaps are going to be a big issue with stadia. I have a family of 4 that all share a single comcast line, if I get stadia I'm going to worry about going over my 1tb limit every month. I dont' want to think about how much gaming I can do just so I don't go over my cap.

In addition, when other people in my family use the internet, I ran into all sorts of latency/bw issues with the stadia beta. And thats after I setup all of the qos on my router.

So i guess if you buy a dedicated line just for stadia, all of these issues are solved, but that ends up costing a lot of extra money, might as well get a real console.
My point is that only hardcore gamers would play Stadia games for 2 hours a day every single day for a month, and like you said, if you did that you'd still have half your bandwidth left for whatever else you wanted to do. Suggesting that only casuals would be playing little enough to not need to worry about that, and thus it's a major problem that Google needs to solve, is an exaggeration.

dadoes

Feb 15, 2018
My point is that only hardcore gamers would play Stadia games for 2 hours a day every single day for a month, and like you said, if you did that you'd still have half your bandwidth left for whatever else you wanted to do. Suggesting that only casuals would be playing little enough to not need to worry about that, and thus it's a major problem that Google needs to solve, is an exaggeration.

like I said, if you are using your line just for yourself, that may be fine, but if you are sharing the line, then using up half your data cap just for stadia is going to be an issue.

Plus, 2 hours a day isn't really that much. And considering that on the weekends I end up playing a lot more than that.

Let's say u only play 1 hour a day on the weekdays, but play 3 hours a day on the weekends. thats 11 hours a week. thats not a whole lot.

bdbdbd

Oct 27, 2017
I stand by my original statement, datacaps are going to be a big issue with stadia.
Lol, just with Stadia? Do you think the PS5's data needs are going to stay the same as the PS4? Games are going to get bigger, meaning patches and updates will get bigger. Video services will push more and more 4K content. Etc. Nobody's existing data caps are safe, regardless of what online media services you use.

OP
OP
Cpt-GargameL

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lol, just with Stadia? Do you think the PS5's data needs are going to stay the same as the PS4? Games are going to get bigger, meaning patches and updates will get bigger. Video services will push more and more 4K content. Etc. Nobody's existing data caps are safe, regardless of what online media services you use.
Precisely.

Be ready for 100GB games as the norm with next gen. That's excluding patches.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
Are data caps more common in America? Here in the UK, I don't remember having any in the last 10 years.
Internet providers in the US are greedy, because they don't have any real competition - in each area you likely only have access to one cable tv with internet provider, one old landline phone company offering far worse speeds, and satellite with bad latency. The largest internet provider in the US is Comcast, who has a 1TB bandwidth limit per month, if you go over you have to pay $10 which gives you another 50GB (and then again, and again...). Or you can pay $50 a month for unlimited.

Then there's cell data, which is HEAVILY bandwidth capped, though instead of charging extra when you go over, they throttle your speed. An example of that, my cell plan gives me 10GB unthrottled bandwidth per month.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
Its common though AT&T U-Verse offers no caps and they're pretty big here in the states. Comcast in the greedy one.
Unfortunately AT&T is the "old landline phone company offering far worse speeds". If you aren't lucky enough to live close to one of their fiber connections, they tend to max out at 20 megabits per second since they are using old phone line technology.

OP
OP
Cpt-GargameL

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Unfortunately AT&T is the "old landline phone company offering far worse speeds". If you aren't lucky enough to live close to one of their fiber connections, they tend to max out at 20 megabits per second since they are using old phone line technology.
Interesting. Yeah I have AT&T U-Verse with 1GB connection and no caps.

yyr

Nov 14, 2017
White Plains, NY
Do you play fighting games online? What about sport games? What about racing games? All of these games deal with netcode. It'll be the same thing with Stadia. How many times have we as gamers blamed shit on netcode, lag, etc. It's been goin on for years. To now say that Stadia will be worse that any of these other games online without having tried it reeks of apparent bias.

I wonder how you would feel when Sony decides to go this route, which every single big player will do.

Yes, occasionally I do, and every one of them has its own way of dealing with lag. Some are better than others.

With Stadia--or any other exclusively-online platform--unless all players in an online match are playing from servers located in the same physical place, it could add more layers to an already-complex problem.

And I doubt that Sony will take their platform exclusively online until/unless PSVR is dead, and they have more PS Now players than local ones.

Lol, they advertise it plenty in the PS Store and they are constantly advertising new additions to the service. This is nothing but wishful thinking on your part.

Edit: and right now there's an ad for PS Now in my FB stream.

Advertising in the PS Store doesn't count IMO; that's only reaching out to their existing fanbase. I don't use Facebook, but I watch plenty of TV; I have not once seen an ad for PS Now since around the time it launched, so I guess YMMV.

VallenValiant

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not really considering everything it's doing and all the positives and low cost of streaming esp for single player games
Streaming games is not cheap, the same way renting a house is not cheap.
The biggest shock of the Stadia reveal was its cost. Most people who supported it, was in massive denial concerning how much it costs. Steaming games is far more expensive than any other kind of gaming, because it costs more money on both end; the streaming company has to spend money every time you play, and you as a customer also spend money via data every time you play. It is the least economical option there is.

Anyone who want to stream games thinking that would save them money, is very much mistaken.

One possible reason for the misconception, is that because game streaming is an inferior gaming experience, that you assumed that it HAS to be cheaper. That just because it is a worse product that it has to be more affordable.

But that's the issue; game streaming is BOTH more expensive, AND worse for gaming. The only up side, if you can call it that, is that the game companies can pull the plug and take away your game when ever they want, and force you to buy the sequel. But that's for publishers and not consumers.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Streaming games is not cheap, the same way renting a house is not cheap.
The biggest shock of the Stadia reveal was its cost. Most people who supported it, was in massive denial concerning how much it costs. Steaming games is far more expensive than any other kind of gaming, because it costs more money on both end; the streaming company has to spend money every time you play, and you as a customer also spend money via data every time you play. It is the least economical option there is.

Anyone who want to stream games thinking that would save them money, is very much mistaken.

One possible reason for the misconception, is that because game streaming is an inferior gaming experience, that you assumed that it HAS to be cheaper. That just because it is a worse product that it has to be more affordable.

But that's the issue; game streaming is BOTH more expensive, AND worse for gaming. The only up side, if you can call it that, is that the game companies can pull the plug and take away your game when ever they want, and force you to buy the sequel. But that's for publishers and not consumers.
I have unlimited data, if I play the free version of stadia it will cost me a lot less than any pc or console, and even if I did the 10$ sub it would still cost me less

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
Google pixel being the only supported phone sucks

Xeontech

Oct 28, 2017
To be honest, I'll probably get this just for the tv/pc/phone fluidity. Wish all the console makers would do this.

SoldToIna

Banned
Jun 5, 2019
I pre-ordered. It doesn't charge you until November anyway, so I'll see closer to the time if there's any reasons to cancel. But it looks like a solid offering, and even over hotspot on my phone it should be 4K quality. But I'm cautiously optimistic.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I pre-ordered. It doesn't charge you until November anyway, so I'll see closer to the time if there's any reasons to cancel. But it looks like a solid offering, and even over hotspot on my phone it should be 4K quality. But I'm cautiously optimistic.
I wouldn't expect it to work well on the go so I wouldn't buy it for that reason

dadoes

Feb 15, 2018
That's still lower than streaming the game

Status
Not open for further replies.