• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Auctopus

Self-requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd be interested in seeing how it would work if they incorporated full damage including a retirement state, forced settings such as low assists, no racing guides, manual gearbox, as well as kerbs and grass that would fuck you up like they should and destabilization from uneven surfaces. I bet it would stop 99% of it but I bet it would also stop a huge amount of people playing as well.

I just can't believe there isn't an algorithm to figure out whether the person going 90mph straight in to a hairpin turn or the person braking and turning on the racing line (which the game clearly knows the route/location of) is at fault.

Deleted member 984

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just can't believe there isn't an algorithm to figure out whether the person going 90mph straight in to a hairpin turn or the person braking and turning on the racing line (which the game clearly knows the route/location of) is at fault.

That reminds me, I haven't seen a data logger. I was going to say they would be tracking the brakes, accelerator and speed due to the data logger so should be possible as you will fall in a specific bandwidth if you are approaching each corner properly. Below that it is likely traffic, above that and likely overly aggressive driving. Will have to save a replay and see if it is there.

It could possibly work if you are above that bandwidth and a hit occurs then you are at fault. If A person is under the bandwidth on a straight and a hit happens then they get the penalty. On the higher ranks if a person is under the bandwidth through a corner then they are at fault because even with traffic they should be moving off the line. I also think penalties over 5 seconds should be forced to pit as well rather than try scrape off time during racing and if they have that on their last lap then they will have to take the time penalty.

Deleted member 8408

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

There is. It ghosts the car of the driver who does this more often than not.

cooldawn

Oct 28, 2017
I'd be interested in seeing how it would work if they incorporated full damage including a retirement state, forced settings such as low assists, no racing guides, manual gearbox, as well as kerbs and grass that would fuck you up like they should and destabilization from uneven surfaces. I bet it would stop 99% of it but I bet it would also stop a huge amount of people playing as well.
I would LOVE to see this happen. Love it. A retirement state needs to be a little more forgiving but yeah, mistakes need to be paid for.

On another note, I do really like some of the campaign races. It's not about being in the fastest car with the best tyres. If you drop a class i.e. from N600 to N500, and stay with the standard tyres the challenge is immensely satisfying, especially when you realise the winnings are inflated in recognition of your result. If it's a clean race, it's even better!

riverfr0zen

Oct 27, 2017
Manhattan, New York
I would LOVE to see this happen. Love it. A retirement state needs to be a little more forgiving but yeah, mistakes need to be paid for.

On another note, I do really like some of the campaign races. It's not about being in the fastest car with the best tyres. If you drop a class i.e. from N600 to N500, and stay with the standard tyres the challenge is immensely satisfying, especially when you realise the winnings are inflated in recognition of your result. If it's a clean race, it's even better!

Yeah, they should definitely have a separate set of Sports races for hardcore settings. Been wanting this for some time. I'd love to see one of the dirt tracks with full mechanical damage on :)

Roy

Oct 27, 2017
Anybody here play Project Cars 2 on PS4? There's something wrong with the framerate, like it's constant but a constant 55fps, not 60. GT Sport is very smooth by comparison.

I do have it set to favour framerate in the options. Any ideas?

Ruruja

Oct 25, 2017
There is. It ghosts the car of the driver who does this more often than not.

Happened to me and my friend today, was expecting the missile car to T-bone us but it ghosted through us, pretty cool.

It seems imperfect though, one time I broke late for a corner and instead of ramming into the back of the car in front it ghosted me through them, I made the turn still so it was like an easy position gain, and wasn't like I was going way too fast too late. Maybe it ghosted them for braking too early?

BradleyLove

Oct 29, 2017
Anybody here play Project Cars 2 on PS4? There's something wrong with the framerate, like it's constant but a constant 55fps, not 60. GT Sport is very smooth by comparison.

I do have it set to favour framerate in the options. Any ideas?
I have it and know exactly what you mean. It just doesn't feel as smooth as GTS.

Deleted member 8408

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeh I wouldn't say the system favours anyone, if anything it equally punishes both parties in most scenarios. The main issue is that it doesn't do enough to discourage drivers from making contact with other cars. Hence that's why I think full damage being on would force people to respect each other a bit more.

Auctopus

Self-requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Edit: never mind, not worth the whining. It's just massively disappointing that such a good driving game is let down by the community and the devs enable it or don't do enough to discourage it.

Last edited:

Deleted member 8408

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Edit: never mind, not worth the whining. It's just massively disappointing that such a good driving game is let down by the community and the devs enable it or don't do enough to discourage it.

I saw your post before the edit, don't worry about it, everyone loves a good whine/moan from time to time, nobody minds! 2 rules of sport mode if you care about your SR: avoid ovals (the blue moon infield variants are fine) and Monza.

But as DHC-Shannow said above, join the league if you are interested, there are 2 spots available for today's race (the jaguar GR3 and the Corvette GR3):

https://www.resetera.com/threads/gr...thread-racing-leagues-time-trials-more.31580/

Let me know if you're up for it.

Deleted member 984

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeh I wouldn't say the system favours anyone, if anything it equally punishes both parties in most scenarios. The main issue is that it doesn't do enough to discourage drivers from making contact with other cars. Hence that's why I think full damage being on would force people to respect each other a bit more.

I think it encourages poor and reckless driving simply due to track limits are super wide and cars are always stable even if it is grass, sand or gravel, therefore favouring the person that wants to be that bit more aggressive because it's harder to drive faster clean than it is to drive faster dirty. I think it also favours people using assists rather than those who don't use assists.

Auctopus

Self-requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why don't you join our league bud? We've a couple of spare spaces for tonight's race, it great fun with a good crowd and very clean racing.

I saw your post before the edit, don't worry about it, everyone loves a good whine/moan from time to time, nobody minds! 2 rules of sport mode if you care about your SR: avoid ovals (the blue moon infield variants are fine) and Monza.

But as DHC-Shannow said above, join the league if you are interested, there are 2 spots available for today's race (the jaguar GR3 and the Corvette GR3):

https://www.resetera.com/threads/gr...thread-racing-leagues-time-trials-more.31580/

Let me know if you're up for it.

Awesome, thanks. Yeah sure I'll join tonight.

I'll take the Gr. 3 Jag.

Deleted member 8408

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think it encourages poor and reckless driving simply due to track limits are super wide and cars are always stable even if it is grass, sand or gravel, therefore favouring the person that wants to be that bit more aggressive because it's harder to drive faster clean than it is to drive faster dirty. I think it also favours people using assists rather than those who don't use assists.

I think the grass/gravel stability thing is only true for those who use the countersteer and SC assists. But yes, the track limits are far too generous and you also don't get penalised for going outside of them enough.

Basically the following needs to be done:

• Full damage on for everyone
  • Make DQ rules tighter
  • Make all of the the races longer (the shorter races are a joke and promote dirty behaviour as there is less time to overtake slower cars)
  • Make assists authentic (no countersteer, TC/SC/Abs should only be enabled if the car would have them in real life)
  • Don't allow drivers to serve penalties on the racing line - penalise them further for doing so
  • Also, manual starts and manual pit stops please. The speed at which you can enter the pit lane in this game is a joke. You should manually have to slow down and engage a pit limiter button before the pit lane line.
But the problem they would face if they did that is that there would be a huge drop off in the player base. Basically it's too late to make drastic changes like that. Also there needs to be a tiered license system. Want to drive like a shit head online? Only give those players access to slower cars. You should have to earn the right to be able to drive GR1 cars online in sport mode.

Awesome, thanks. Yeah sure I'll join tonight.

I'll take the Gr. 3 Jag.

Great stuff. Sending you a PM now.

Last edited:

Deleted member 984

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think the grass/gravel stability thing is only true for those who use the countersteer and SC assists. But yes, the track limits are far too generous and you also don't get penalised for going outside of them enough.

Basically the following needs to be done:

• Full damage on for everyone
  • Make DQ rules tighter
  • Make all of the the races longer (the shorter races are a joke and promote dirty behaviour as there is less time to overtake slower cars)
  • Make assists authentic (no countersteer, TC/SC/Abs should only be enabled if the car would have them in real life)
  • Don't allow drivers to serve penalties on the racing line - penalise them further for doing so
  • Also, manual starts and manual pit stops please. The speed at which you can enter the pit lane in this game is a joke. You should manually have to slow down and engage a pit limiter button before the pit lane line.

I agree on all those points.

I don't use any assists and got a 5.30 on Nordschleife by abusing the track limits, doing it clean and observing real track limits my best is 6.05 in the same car, that's an insane difference. As long as you don't aggressively accelerate on grass you are good, whereas it really should be half a wheel on it and you are gone.

Considering Nordschleife is a track where you can really only use three/four kerbs without consequences just doing a quick lap you can see how forgiving it is in the game regardless of car choice. Or another example is the sausage kerbs at Monza you can easily just drive over them they are notorious kerbs for needing to avoid.

mango.

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

This may sound condescending as I haven't seen your races, but if I were getting bombed enough times that my SR is 'stuck', I'd start checking my braking points and lines.
The way SR punctuation works for a race makes it that roughly you can have one heavy incident, that is a crash that sends you to a trip off-track, and still end 'blue' or positive punctuation. SR's goal is not to bracket users, its end point is everyone reaching 99 points. So the sum of clean sectors for any given race, plus the extras for clean overtakes and likely some other mysterious conditions gives enough room. That's why you'll see a handful of DR S - SR S "dirty drivers", they know some "tactical tackles" or "calculated brake checks" won't affect his end result as long as he doesn't do that multiples times in a race.

I know though that a crash at the start of your race can completely throw you off and then you rack up little mistakes overdriving, trying to make up for the time lost.

On this topic as a whole, rules and "punishments" are extremely complicated because the majority's intent is indeed to race fair and clean, so the immediate reaction to any penalty is "This is not fair, I was driving properly!". From there on, it's a parent's discipline dilemma.
I'd say even through the major changes the game's ruling system has gone through, it does a good job at that.
What is poor or almost non-existent is its safety education.

tmkn

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Playing with a controller and just switched to manual transmission, I can't believe it took me 7 GT games to seriously try it out. It adds a whole other level of depth as the cars have different shifting points and revs, it's such a joy to test drive different cars.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Playing with a controller and just switched to manual transmission, I can't believe it took me 7 GT games to seriously try it out. It adds a whole other level of depth as the cars have different shifting points and revs, it's such a joy to test drive different cars.
I think I finally did it around GT3. It was so transformative that the next car I bought IRL was a manual (and it's all I've driven since).

tmkn

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
The ghosting system is so great, duel in front of me, 1 car goes off track, reenters track, gets ghosted.
Try to pass him, he tries to cut me off while ghosted, as I'm already in his car, his car gets solid, I propel him forward and I lose all momentum and 2 places, great system overall.
I didn't get any penalty though.

Like for whom is the ghosting for if not for me? I was right behind him aka closest to him. Ironically I would have had enough time to avoid a collision but didn't change my line since he was ghosted...

tmkn

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Blue Moon daily is pure carnage :D Normally I wouldn't drive as I hate the track but since it's such a mess it's actually kind of fun :D

Deleted member 11426

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Greensboro NC
Why do they even let people with shitty internet play? One guy with a red bar of signal just fucks everything up flying all over the track giving other people penalties.

Blue Moon daily is pure carnage :D Normally I wouldn't drive as I hate the track but since it's such a mess it's actually kind of fun :D

I just rage quit a race. Best to place high and run away from everyone if you get a good 42 second qualifying lap.

Last edited:

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
The last two nights of playing and I'm seriously getting frustrated now. I've been DRS before for a while and usually A. Fell to C, then D yesterday. It feels like you can't climb back up quickly at all now and you lose ranking so quickly for instances that are honestly 90% just the game deciding badly rather than me actually doing anything wrong whatsoever. So climbing back up feels impossible now. The penalties are just getting ridiculous.

Fell from D to E just there in the Mount Panorama GR4 race tonight. Guy gets out of shape at the fast high up section, I tap him off the road (he was already going in that direction after tank slapping and hitting the walls and massively slowing down in front of me). He then careens back across the road and slams me into a wall just as we're all braking down into the super tight section. I get rear ended and punted across the tarmac taking a shortcut I was literally rammed into taking. 4 second penalty to me apparently thanks to the guy in front totally fucking up and me trying my best to slow down and let him sort it out.

I think the problem is, as well as the game not doing any work whatsoever to actually ascertain who is at fault for incidents that occur and often wrongly blaming an innocent bystander, the game also has absolutely no leeway whatsoever for what would be called in real life a "racing incident". Cars can bump even in F1 and many times it's a racing incident. If it's close quarters racing and the guy ahead fucks up and loses control it is very rare indeed for the person directly behind, who gets caught up in the incident before any person could reasonably expect to respond, to ever get a penalty. In GT Sport it feels like that person gets the harshest penalty of all.

I'm truly starting to get fucking sick of it now. It really has gone downhill and made any notion of close racing feel far off for me. One mess up and you're penalised way beyond any reasonable level and the climb back up to racing with other decent drivers gets ever further away.

Here's the incident tonight..

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
Also this from yesterday. First turn on Interlagos, opening lap. I take the corner as tightly as I can, a guy comes up along side and inadvertently gets hit by me, although to me it feels more like he's using me to help him get round. I certainly never made a move to push him. In real life racing this would be a racing incident and nothing more would come of it. Somehow I get a 3 second penalty. In fact I hadn't even started turning into the next corner and he bashes me. That's how I take this incident..?

Deleted member 11426

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Greensboro NC
I fell down to C/B with the blue moon daily the other day but a few wins and high finishes got me up to B/S the same day.

The penalty system will have flaws without humans doing it, but I still think it's far better than what Forza has online.

CassiusClay99

Oct 28, 2017
PD seems to not be able to find a good solution to sanction bad driving... I think they never will (such a complex issue...). I am a bit baffled that they don't use the transparent fonction more efficiently: i have been rammed so hard some times that I think the other player should have be transparent instead of hitting me... (AND that would make ramming inefficient). Never seen any disqualification though I ve seen players who were really thugs repeatedly...

The ONLY good solution is to include realistic damage... but I think the engine won't allow this.

Until then, i feel GT sports will stay a very frustating experience.

BradleyLove

Oct 29, 2017
Accidentally posted this in the League OT—it should be here really, so reposted.

So since I recently bought PSVR I thought I'd compare times between pad, wheel and wheel + VR. Should point out both pad and wheel were using bumper cam.

Should also point out VR time trial mode does not present you with a lap breakdown, so you can't obtain optimal lap times, which I think would give more accurate results.

So using the Gr.3 Viper at Brands Hatch and compared to pad:

Wheel: 1.3 seconds faster
Wheel + VR: 0.9 seconds faster

Gr.3 Viper at Suzuka and compared to pad:

Wheel: 0.1 seconds faster
Wheel + VR: 0.9 seconds faster

Admittedly not much of a great sample, but interesting that wheel is quicker than pad on both circuits and VR is quicker that pad on both circuits. But VR is only fastest overall on Suzuka.

Deleted member 984

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Also this from yesterday. First turn on Interlagos, opening lap. I take the corner as tightly as I can, a guy comes up along side and inadvertently gets hit by me, although to me it feels more like he's using me to help him get round. I certainly never made a move to push him. In real life racing this would be a racing incident and nothing more would come of it. Somehow I get a 3 second penalty. In fact I hadn't even started turning into the next corner and he bashes me. That's how I take this incident..?

The first video is unfortunate and where the system really needs to hinder drivers when they make a mistake especially if they run off track. The second however was your fault. You might have had the racing line (didn't really as you took the apex early in a defensive line and they took the actual racing line) but they were fast enough to overtake you on the outside. The limited FOV is really the only reason you both came together as they were ahead of you by about 1/4 of a car, but the penalty looked to have been awarded for when you tried to cut back onto the line despite you being off race pace due to the bump and the car behind was clear to see they were faster and had the better line.

Fifanutz

Nov 2, 2017
Finally made it to B/S, barely. Just when I was starting to feel comfortable, back to the bottom of the heap.
B/S is where i've settled and spent the majority of my time. Very clean racing and fun battles in the midfield even when your not winning! I'm currently at B/A i think, but hardly play Sport mode now unless one of my favourite track and car combos comes up.

Sejanoz

Nov 10, 2017
Brands Central is now showing me the March update cars as "New", even though I checked out all of them as soon as they got added (I'm OCD like that).
Not only that, but the blue 'tick' that shows which ones I have doesn't appear on the ones that I bought.

I just wasted 250k in another useless DB11 with the same particular color as the old one.
at least my tastes are consistent

Konosuke

Oct 29, 2017
B/S is where i've settled and spent the majority of my time. Very clean racing and fun battles in the midfield even when your not winning! I'm currently at B/A i think, but hardly play Sport mode now unless one of my favourite track and car combos comes up.
Monza always nukes my S rating, always turn one :(

In other news, today I finally won the Barichello trophy...and my 14th online win.

I don't even want to calculate that win percentage haha

tmkn

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Monza daily is SR suicide :D
I get bullshit penalties but at the same time I want to get my SR up again, so next race it is,... next bullshit penalty....

Deleted member 11426

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Greensboro NC
Nevermind, I tried that and dropped levels and had 12 seconds of penalties. Went from last to 7th in turn one chaos, but people seem to know how to trigger a weaponized penalty on you pretty well now.

Mush

Nov 1, 2017
https://www.gran-turismo.com/nz/gts...lery/all/livery/1011394/1/7349967028157940233

Back at it again with a new original GT300 livery.

cTBE7Nul.jpg

aF0CQ7Al.jpg

PocTtvFl.jpg